EU IV

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RMC

Re: EU IV

Post by RMC »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:I get my desktop back from Apple Repair today, so I'm hopeful to get back into my restart of the Castile game this weekend.

On another note, BundleStars has the core game and four of the older DLCs on sale now at 75% off. EU IV is $10.

I just picked up the four original DLC packs for $6 total.
So I want to pull the trigger on this, but is bundlestars okay to buy from in the US? They want to charge me in GBP, and I just want to be sure I can buy from them, and then register it in the US without needing to do some VPN Mumbo Jumbo (Which I would have no idea how to do, just have read that some people do it).

Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well I took the plunge and bought from that site. I used one of my credit cards that has a low limit. So I will test the waters of this new site.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

RMC wrote:Well I took the plunge and bought from that site. I used one of my credit cards that has a low limit. So I will test the waters of this new site.
For what it's worth, I think I've bought a half dozen things from them over the past few months and haven't had any problems.

First game Castile?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:
RMC wrote:Well I took the plunge and bought from that site. I used one of my credit cards that has a low limit. So I will test the waters of this new site.
For what it's worth, I think I've bought a half dozen things from them over the past few months and haven't had any problems.

First game Castile?
I have to finish homework, and take a quiz for my classes today. Once all that is done, and I go to my goddaughters church thingy, and then start food for Sunday..Then I can play..

So yes, I think Castile sounds like a great first choice.

Any other DLC that is a must?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

RMC wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:

First game Castile?
I have to finish homework, and take a quiz for my classes today. Once all that is done, and I go to my goddaughters church thingy, and then start food for Sunday..Then I can play..

Just remember, playing EUIV counts as homework for history classes. You can trust me, I'm a history prof! :wink:
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I know way more about European history thanks to the EU series than I'd like to admit. Also geography; I think the only European countries/states I can't place on a map now are some of the German microstates in the HRE.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

RMC wrote:Any other DLC that is a must?
I'm probably not the best to answer this, as I haven't got anywhere near the playing time others do. I like the premise behind the new expansion pack (random new world), but haven't made time to fully explore the game yet. You'll be ahead of me in a few days in terms of playing time. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote:
RMC wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:

First game Castile?

Just remember, playing EUIV counts as homework for history classes. You can trust me, I'm a history prof! :wink:
I'll tell that to my professor in my Healthcare IT Vendor Relations class... (It's an elective in my Masters program for Informatics) I am sure she will fail me, but hey you only live once, right?

:)
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zurai wrote:I know way more about European history thanks to the EU series than I'd like to admit. Also geography; I think the only European countries/states I can't place on a map now are some of the German microstates in the HRE.
My Kryptonite has always been geography. I think I learned more (European) geography from playing Paradox and Matrix titles over the last few years than in my entire time in school.

As to history, the only thing I learned about the HRE was that, as the teacher used to say, it wasn't holy, it wasn't Roman, and it certainly wasn't an empire.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The crap going on in Ukraine is making my EU4 addictions itch. :horse:

Crimea will be mine!!!

:violence-uzi:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Play a good WW2 game and make it a shooting war!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:Play a good WW2 game and make it a shooting war!
I've never found such a thing. I won Hearts of Iron and it came closest but too much work and not enough game. I don't find real time click and move as fast as you can games very interesting at anything above a small squad level. I'm more for a large scale strategic turn based activity.

What I would really love is a hearts of iron type game where I can just make policy and approve action the way a leader might do while have effective competent leaders implement my policies. Unfortunately none I have seen measure up.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
Holman wrote:Play a good WW2 game and make it a shooting war!
I've never found such a thing. I won Hearts of Iron and it came closest but too much work and not enough game. I don't find real time click and move as fast as you can games very interesting at anything above a small squad level. I'm more for a large scale strategic turn based activity.

What I would really love is a hearts of iron type game where I can just make policy and approve action the way a leader might do while have effective competent leaders implement my policies. Unfortunately none I have seen measure up.
Road to Moscow tried something like that, but we are all fortunate it died a horrible death during childbirth. It just wasn't good.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

EU IV

Post by baelthazar »

I did not see another topic for this, so I figured this thread was as good as any.

Paradox just released a (surprise for me) expansion to Europa Universalis IV. This one is called "Common Sense" and is a MAJOR overhaul to the way you develop provinces. You can now directly affect the growth of a province's base tax, manpower, and trade good production in a way similar to a simplified Victoria 2. They have also overhauled the way buildings work - provinces are now limited in the number of buildings they can have (no more building every building in all your provinces), the buildings have a much larger effect, and buildings no longer cost monarch points (a HUGE thing, IMHO).

They have also changed the way you can interact with vassal and puppet states, adding a very complex layer here.

Forts have been massively changed and I am anxious to get some time to play today to see how it feels. Now it is too expensive and difficult to build massive forts (star forts) in all of your provinces. Instead, you build forts in key provinces and they exhibit a "zone of control" around them that does several things. First, nearby forts can "liberate" captured provinces in the ZOC. Most strikingly, forts block enemy movement through their ZOC- you can no longer push past a fort to hit a country capitals. I played as Britain for about 20 minutes last night in a war with Scotland and this was a huge change - given that Scotland is so thin, the single fort on the border with England prevented land movement up into the undefended heartland. This means that naval landings are useful ways to punch into unexpected areas. I think I will like this change, as the game will now require some strategy other than skipping low-yield provinces to capture the enemy capital.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I'm looking at acquiring this through the steam summer sale, and it is currently 50% off. Question is though what should I buy, there is EU IV, EU IV "Extreme Edition", and the Collection. I'm leaning towards the collection as I'm sure I want the expansions and goodies. I was wondering though what the difference between the two editions is?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

xwraith wrote:I'm looking at acquiring this through the steam summer sale, and it is currently 50% off. Question is though what should I buy, there is EU IV, EU IV "Extreme Edition", and the Collection. I'm leaning towards the collection as I'm sure I want the expansions and goodies. I was wondering though what the difference between the two editions is?
Steam Store page wrote:The Digital Extreme Edition includes the following:
STAR AND CRESCENT - 50 new Muslim themed event pictures, as well as several new events for the Muslim nations
HORSEMEN OF THE CRESCENT UNIT PACK - 12 unique cavalry modes for the Ottoman, Mamluk, and Persian nations. This enhances the visual experience of EUIV.
CONQUEST OF CONSTANTINOPLE MUSIC PACK - 3 tracks containing 10 new minutes of music masterly composed by Andreas Waldetoft
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This and a lot of other Paradox stuff is on sale now on Steam if anyone else is like me and has been waiting for a sale to pick up a lot of the expansions.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote:This and a lot of other Paradox stuff is on sale now on Steam if anyone else is like me and has been waiting for a sale to pick up a lot of the expansions.
Thanks for the heads up. I've also been waiting for a sale to pick up the last few expansion DLCs.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Now that someone pointed me to the thread...

The HOI3 pre-release got me back to playing a little to see how the patches have changed it. Pretty impressed so far. Might actually have to buy some expansion DLC in the upcoming summer sale.

In the midst of a really interesting game. Start 11Nov1444 because I know how to play France and England the best. Quickly allied with Castile and made DOW on England as quickly as I could. Castile pretty much handled Portugal off the bat and I started Sieging Normandie and Gascogne.

England duped 18K troops into Northern Castile so I dispatched a 15K army with general to assist. Didn't take long to take the 4 provinces without losing many men.

So I start working my spy network up on Provence to get claims on Anjou and Maine. Along the way the Papal State who I had been charming up to asked for an Alliance. I figured what the heck. Not many countries want to cozy up to France. Not long after securing my claims The Pope excommunicated the King of Provence (who is part of my dynasty btw), then a couple months later DOW on Provence and calls me in via Alliance.

I'm thinking I'm not so sure. Provence has some friends but so does The Pope. Besides I didn't want to take a prestige hit. I stack wipe Provence's army who were sieging Avignon by the time The Pope's army arrives and then I occupy Maine and Anjou. So anyway The Pope negotiates peace taking one territory for himself and giving me Maine AND Anjou. Thx Bro!

Never thought I would say this but....

Da Pope Rox!!!!!!!!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Divine intervention.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You can pick a free music DLC (Fredman's Epistles) until 4 July, after which it will cost $1.99.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This piques my interest...

This mod is becoming the fantasy grand strategy game you can't get elsewhere
Anbennar is a sprawling fantasy mod for Europa Universalis 4 that has been in the works for years. It's a passion project that started as translating one guy's homebrewed D&D fantasy setting into a playable mod, but has grown far beyond those origins into a multi-author shared world—and one of the most impressive EU4 mods out there. It's a total conversion, utterly remaking the game as a fantasy world complete with fictional continents, nations, governments, species, and religions.
Steam Workshop link for the EU IV mod

The article mentions that there is also a CK III mod in the works, but it doesn't seem to be up on Steam Workshop yet.