Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by NickAragua »

raydude wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 am Speaking of retro games, The Ur-Quan Masters 0.8.0 came out on Jan 10, 2021. I downloaded it and got sucked into playing through the game again. It's still the great game I remember from when I played it in college. If I recall correctly, I had just come back to my dorm from class and a few of my friends were crowded around my roomate's PC. They were playing Super Melee mode and one of my other friends had been designated as "the one to beat" as he was beating everyone else in matches. So I sat down - can't remember what I picked - but I kept beating him with the same ship over and over again. He didn't like that so he killed me with the Shofixti suicide attack.

Anyway, I just beat the campaign game. I like the music remixes that the Ur-Quan masters devs put together. The 3DO remixes started getting old after a while but the UQM remixes didn't. I completely forgot to finish the Yehat side quests so I did not get Shofixti and Yehat reinforcements at the end game. Instead I used the Utwig and Chmr ships against the Kor-ah and Ur-quan vessels and then the Pkunk ship side blasters to finish off the Sa-matra.
Man, that game was so much fun. I installed it on the computers in our high school's animation lab, and we kept playing that instead of doing class work. Go figure. The Pkunk ships are definitely a must vs the Sa-Matra. I never got the hang of using the Utwig ships, so I sucked it up and used the Chmmr ships, in combination with the Spathi Eluder (or "Discriminator"?). It worked pretty well vs both varieties, as it was fast enough to dodge the blades and stay out of range of the fusion blasts, could use the B.U.T.T. missiles to shoot down fighters, and had just enough range that a tail-chasing AI would keep running into the missiles.

Aside from the awesome ship combat, this game was a pretty major pioneer in the "flexible story RPG" arena. Like, you don't *have* to go to the source of the Slylandro probes to beat the game. But if you do, you get some sweet lore and a kill code for the probes. You don't *have* to save the Zoq-Fot-Pik. But if you do, they help you out with some coordinates later on in the game, I forget for what. And uh, you can build their ships, I guess? Which are literally the most god-awful ships in the game? Like, you're better off just building the human cruisers. Multiple ways of getting a hyperwave caster (buddy up with the Spathi or visit the burned-out Burvixese world). Multiple ways of knocking the Thraddash off the Aqua Helix (forget what it does).

I was gonna say you don't have to deal with the Melnorme, but you really do, because otherwise you can't get the better ship upgrades.

"You know, you kind of remind me of broccoli, and I'm rather partial to broccoli in a light cheese sauce."
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always loved the Human Cruisers. That homing missile was great.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was hearing random disconnect / connect sounds while playing GTA Online. Turns out my xbox controller seems to have a short in the cord up near the controller itself. Sigh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These days when I see a game on sale at one website I can virtually always expect to see it at the same exact price on sale at all the other stores..like Steam or Fanatical or GoG.......Im actually starting to wonder if one single company owns all these so called separate stores behind the scenes. No one ever out sale prices anyone else any more.
Zarathud

Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Zarathud »

It’s called market transparency. If you can check the websites to shop around, so can the sellers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know a reliable and cheap place to buy a Xbox360 controller? Id rather it be a real Microsoft one or a PowerA brand one. I can get the PowerA for around $20 - $25. A MS one I cant find. Unless you know of a better and cheaper brand. My MS one has developed a short in the bent wire if I move it. Would prefer new.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A NewEgg 3rd party vendor is selling them for pretty damn cheap. I love my wired controller.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of CORN. Will look up reviews.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Could try fixing the short in the bend with some Sugru.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm Could try fixing the short in the bend with some Sugru.

obviously you'd have to fix the short first:

1) cut controller cord at the short
2) strip wire on each side
3) remove all damaged portion of the wire
4) splice wires back together

_then_ reinforce splice with Sugru or whatever

a much more reliable repair would be to replace the cable completely

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+360+C ... ment/51578

replacement cable is $10 and requires a tiny bit of soldering
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had the same short, and ended up using it doubled over with a rubber band around it for years. FWIW, I swore by that thing as the best PC controller I'd ever used, but eventually replaced it with an Xbox One controller, and it was just as good - and probably better.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:07 pm Never heard of CORN. Will look up reviews.
They are an electronics retailer in Asia, IIRC, based either in HK or China (probably the latter). Reviews are pretty abysmal

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... ectronics/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep started seeing how they wear out in days to weeks. Ugh.

I used the rubberband trick BH mentioned. Seems to work for now. Its a bit scary how much in common me and BH share. I mentioned before how we could be life twins but its just a bit freaky.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of controllers, there seem to be very few options for use on PC. I have a Logitech F710 (Wireless), but the same models have been sold for years without any improvements, and while there used to be many manufacturers making their own controllers, they seem to have all but vanished. I still use my F710, but it could be better. I know largely the goto would be the XBox controllers, but I just don't like the feel of those or their button configurations. My small hands prefer the PS style layout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back in the 90s a lot of companies made PC controllers. You'd think with consoles being so popular and cross platform titles coming to PC more often there would be even more controller options. But nope.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, exactly. If anything, the options seem to have diminished. My first gamepad was the original Gravis, which was pretty rocksolid. I kind of wish they were still arounds making new controllers, but for the most part, Logitech seems to be the only third-party option, and has actually gobbled up a few of the other companies like Saitek.

Edit: I'd be interested in the Astro C40 if it weren't for the price. I think that's way out of what most people would be able to afford for a controller.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I saw that article earlier. I can't imagine paying $150 (or $400!!) for a controller. I just use an old wired Xbox controller and it suits me fine.

Does that qualify for a Grumpy-Old-Man "Get off my lawn" exclamation?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My limit is $20 for off brand and $30 for name brand. Unfortunately the real MS ones are $40....at the least.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, sorry to say, that list only confirms the limited options. Especially for someone who prefers the PS style layout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:31 am Seems to work for now. Its a bit scary how much in common me and BH share.
Why do you think I poke at you so often? I see you making the same kinds of mistakes that I used to make constantly that kept me miserable, and sometimes have solutions that worked for me (and no, I'm not talking about controllers.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm My limit is $20 for off brand and $30 for name brand. Unfortunately the real MS ones are $40....at the least.
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:38 pm replace the cable completely

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+360+C ... ment/51578

replacement cable is $10 and requires a tiny bit of soldering
again... total cost would be about $10 and you get to keep your current wired controller
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:25 pm Back in the 90s a lot of companies made PC controllers. You'd think with consoles being so popular and cross platform titles coming to PC more often there would be even more controller options. But nope.
I bought a couple of those years ago, I think it was to play emulated games. I ended up wearing out the toggle switch and moved back to keyboard.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:58 pm Yeah, sorry to say, that list only confirms the limited options. Especially for someone who prefers the PS style layout.
If you prefer the PS-style layout, you might as well use a DualShock 4 or PS5 DualSense controller. After all, courtesy of DS4Windows and Steam's built-in support for 'em, PC users arguably get more useful functionality and customization from PS controllers than the consoles they were originally designed for. Here's a video from Linus Tech Tips that delves into using the open source JoyShockMapper to customize the gyroscope/accelerometer for PC gaming (which also supports the PS5 DualSense controller):

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hmm, thanks. I didn't know that, about the improved functionality vs console.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spent an hour making a new Red Dead Online character just the way I wanted. Had to alt tab a lot to follow a guide. Right as I was doing the last bit it crashed. So much for that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've never had any real issues with Ubisoft Connect, but these French clowns have lost themselves a Uplay+ customer. I recently had gotten a new credit card as my old one was having troubles with the readers. The account number stayed the same, just a new expiration date and security code. About a couple of weeks ago I got an email saying my credit card was no longer going to be accepted and I'd have to change my method of payment to keep my Uplay+ account active. Fine, I expected that.

Trouble is, the link on the email took me to a French language site and had no obvious button to switch to English. I waited and after a couple more useless emails I finally went in through the Ubisoft Connect client and changed my payment info to show the new expiration date and security code. That seemed to have gone well. But then this morning I get an email saying my Uplay+ account has been cancelled. So I go into the Uplay Client and that tells me the same thing. So I go to fix the card info but find it is displaying my new card information already. There's nothing to fix. I could switch to a different card but since they postponed Far Cry 6 and I'm no longer playing any Ubisoft games, screw it, they can go without my $14.99 a month.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id keep an eye on it they may still charge you.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:00 am Id keep an eye on it they may still charge you.
Yeah, I figured they might try it, so I went back into the client and removed all of my payment info. I'll still watch out though.

And really the only access I might have cared about is to Ghost Recon Breakpoint, which I've played to death. I'd forgotten that while I started playing Watch Dogs Legion via Uplay+ I also got an access code connected to my new video card, so I'm good to go there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Based on recommendations here I did buy a PS4 Dualshock, but I haven't really used it. I'm sticking with my XB360 wireless for now.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I prefer the 360 controller over the PS4 one. I think its the thumb sticks being offset.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

24 minutes of Sandy Petersens mind going a mile a minute. Such neat info in there about DOOM and DOOM II

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Blues News

Open world Bioshock?

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/221093/open ... hock-plans
Cloud Chamber is looking for a Senior Writer to join our talented Narrative team to bring the world of BioShock to life once again. Under the supervision of the Lead Writer, and collaborating closely with the Narrative and Design teams, our Senior Writer will craft memorable narrative arcs, write dialogue, and breathe life into our characters. Experience in writing for games, with a particular aptitude for managing the nuances of interactive storytelling, would be ideal for this role. We’re hoping to find someone who can weave impactful, character-driven stories in an open world setting.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Train Valley 2, cute puzzle game disguised as a resource management sim. Basically, your objective is to supply each "town" with its required resources, but some resources require you to supply OTHER stuff to other installations first, then move the results over. If town requires boards, you need to supply labor to logging camp to get lumber, then transport lumber and labor to the processing plant to get boards. THEN haul the boards back to the town. Different installations have different storage capacities.

The real issue is routing, and the manual dispatch of trains. You manage the network, so it's up to you to flip the switches that sends trains to different paths... AND build those paths. So if you switched wrong and trains collide, you lose the train, a portion of the track, AND obviously all cargo... AND you need to spend $$$ to repair the track and the locomotives.

You are timed, both in real-time AND game time. Finish within 3 different time levels to gain up to 3 stars, plus 2 more requests, like "never make a mistake (sent the train to the wrong station)" for total of 5 stars per "scenario". So each scenario shouldn't last more than 15 minutes or so, unless you really forgot to parallel task and such.

I just did one where I was 1 second away from getting all 5 stars. :D The game wanted me to come under 11:30, I got it done at 11:31, mainly because I sent an extra train that I shouldn't. Probably time to do it over... when I feel like it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey no one makes playing games sound like work more than you :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried one of the games in Humble Trove called 20 Minute City or something like that. You have in real-time, 20 minutes. to maximize your score for a civilization you're rebuilding after some sort of apocalypse. You can salvage ruins for metal or plastic. You need to build roads and apartments. You need to harvest trees and rocks. You can build turbines in bodies of water and transmission towers to power "high-rises" which produce more "labor" than regular houses, but requires power. Stuff you build requires materials (which depends on the harvesters you built and available "labor". You build parks to generate "points", and the points you made by the end of 20 minutes is your "score".

It's kinda interesting, but who really has 20 minutes just madly click away building stuff?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 pm Tried one of the games in Humble Trove called 20 Minute City or something like that. You have in real-time, 20 minutes. to maximize your score for a civilization you're rebuilding after some sort of apocalypse. You can salvage ruins for metal or plastic. You need to build roads and apartments. You need to harvest trees and rocks. You can build turbines in bodies of water and transmission towers to power "high-rises" which produce more "labor" than regular houses, but requires power. Stuff you build requires materials (which depends on the harvesters you built and available "labor". You build parks to generate "points", and the points you made by the end of 20 minutes is your "score".

It's kinda interesting, but who really has 20 minutes just madly click away building stuff?
Starcraft players?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just solved level 7 in Train Valley... all five stars. There are 50 levels, plus another 20 in the DLC (which I don't believe I have). I'll probably stop at level 10.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumors flying around that someone may be looking to purchase Squeenix

Whoever they are better keep their damn hands off my FF XIV.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

XIV you say?! Time for a name change, yo.

That’s joke/meme territory.