Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Kasey Chang »

I lied. I did level 15 in Train Valley 2, decided there's no way I'm doing all 50.

Decided to play a bit of Space Engineers. Interesting setup. I went through the "solo adventure" where you get a scripted sequence where you found a dead station, escape to the moon, found a base, explore it, had to escape it again, found a corporate conspiracy, help the rebels by restoring a frigate, kill an corporate drone carrier, crash on another moon, fight off drones and drone tanks, enter the base, beat off a bunch more drones, kill the boss, recover the artifact. End.

The game is some combat, and some fixing (you're an engineer after all) and there is some interesting construction stuff. But it's really meant for multiplayer.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pmWhoever they are better keep their damn hands off my FF XIV.
It's probably past due to reboot the game series and start over with "Final Fantasy Zero", now including microtransactions for potions, phoenix downs, and armor cosmetic upgrades. Online play required.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ubisoft keeps sending me emails. They look legit but they're in German. Don't think I have any Ubisoft games loaded.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to play Convoy. I can't believe I never used "pause" in this game before. NO WONDER I never got very far.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played two of the indie/demo games in Humble Trove:

I believe I discussed 20MM "20 Minute Manager" and it's okay, but not really publishable quality. Basically, you have 20 minutes real-time to accumulate as much high score as you can to build up a city by building roads and salvage/excavate hills, old ruins, and forests to grab stone, metal / plastic, and wood. You also need to build other structures such as housing for the labor, powerplant and transmission tower to link the hydroplant to your high-rise (which houses 10x more people than the regular apartments, and you can't demolish stuff you build). Build parks to raise the score.

In practice, you basically excavate everything you can get your hands on, keeping in mind which way you need to build toward to access more ruins for the occasional need of metal or plastic, while harvesting wood. Stone comes naturally as you need to dig through hills to get at some areas. Yes, there is pause, but overall the game just feels a bit too hectic.

The other game I tried was Ruin Raiders, a pretty polished XCOM-type procedural dungeon raider. where your objective is to simply take your party of 3 as deep as you can. When you see enemies, you go into turn-based combat mode with partial vs full cover, grenades, overwatch, etc. However, the game is VERY hard, as you need to build up a huge supply of medpacks, when you find a manufactory. Weapons are hard to come by, and grenades even worse. There doesn't seem to be a town portal command i.e. escape to town. The game is almost undocumented. XP stopped coming after reach L2 max. The game mentioned something about "upgrading HQ", except there is no mechanism to do so. One can you try to find the end of the level and go a level down, much like "The Pit". Shows promise, but not really playable there.

----

Tried to play Cortex Command, but it's a bit frustrating and decided to move to something else.

Try to play Void Destroyer, which is an RTS / First-person space ship hybrid. Reminds me of the old game "Alliance" where one guy needs to be the RTS "Admiral" directing ships, while others play as the pilots of various ships, from fighters to frigates. The mechanics do get a bit complex, as I haven't even gotten past the tutorials. Can't seem to get the gamepad to work?

Tried Industry Giant II, which is... not bad, for such an old game, though it's based on 2D sprites, not 3D objects like Rise of Industry. Translation is a bit weird. But the basic idea is put retail shops in a town. Put warehouse within radius of retail shops. Now drop farms / ranch / whatever that produces whatever the town needs. And the game will automatically calculate the transportation (doesn't seem to show individual trucks). One can adjust supply to make sure it doesn't exceed demand. Still working through tutorial.

Will probably go play WRC8 if I get really bored. Somehow I feel like doing a driving game.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:03 pmThe other game I tried was Ruin Raiders... Shows promise, but not really playable there.
That's a shame. It sounds like something that could be a lot of fun. I spent too much time with The Pit despite it like being kicked in the nuts with no way to escape. You've got to roll the perfect luck with the right character and use the exact strategy. I don't think I ever got below halfway down, though I tried. More than I probably should have. I think I even bought expansions that added characters and content.
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:03 pmTried to play Cortex Command, but it's a bit frustrating and decided to move to something else.
This is a game I wanted to love badly. What if you made Worms into a real-time side-scrolling shooter? Problem is, getting blown off the screen in Worms is hilarious. In Cortex Command, it's a waste of resources.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Same here with The Pit. I actually played the 2D version in easy mode all the way down ONCE as an engineer. He can do a bit of everything. Other characters are impossible to solo with. Didn't go too far with the FPS version.

You can give Ruin Raiders a try. It's free in Humble Trove, which is where I think HumbleBundle sticks the experimental games that they never finish plus some older classics they funded. If you ever figure out how to upgrade the HQ let me know. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Paingod wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am What if you made Worms into a real-time side-scrolling shooter?
They already have. It's called Worms: Rumble, and I've played with with friends on PS4. It's a side-scrolling competitive shooter, and hardly has anything in common with the original games. Has more in common with UT. With only 3 maps, it quickly became repetitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_Rumble
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Little B 12.3 and I have been doing a Zoom D&D group with a few friends from work every other week since last September. One of the other members also has their 12-year-son playing, and it's both of their very first experience with anything D&D or role playing. They've both really gotten into it, and the son has become an absolute sponge for all things D&D.

The mom asked me after our last session which D&D video games she might get him started on. I realized that the last AAA game in the D&D universe was released 15 years ago (Neverwinter Nights 2 in 2006). Since then, we've seen a couple mediocre MMO's (DDO and Neverwinter), a bunch of ports of the old Infinity Engine games, a niche-ish CRPG (Sword Coast Legends...which I liked but it seems most people hated), and a few mobile games. That's it, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

It was really tough to recommend anything to her. The old games are great, but they are likely to really try the patience of a 12-year-old playing without the benefit of nostalgia (and who also suffers from some pretty severe ADD). The MMO's are OK, but ultimately kinda dull and repetitive. You can't even buy Sword Coast Legends anymore, and the mobile games are a P2W game and a clicker. Fun when you're in the mood, but not terribly compelling.

While there's a couple on the horizon (Baldur's Gate 3 and the new Dark Alliance), it's somewhat astounding to me that one of (arguably the) largest fantasy IP's hasn't released a new, full-fledged RPG in 16 years. There's plenty out there that comes close (PoE, Pathfinder, Divinity OS, Tyranny, etc.), but nothing that's an actual D&D campaign.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Candlekeep would probably be fun for a 12 year old D&D player. It's based on the board game rather than the full game, but it is 5e based. For actual 5e gameplay, Baldur's Gate 3 is the best option.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm

We've been helping them get into board games too, so he has the physical copy of both of those. :) I did forget about Candlekeep though, and will recommend it. I thought the digital version was pretty fun.
For actual 5e gameplay, Baldur's Gate 3 is the best option.
I struggle with Early Access games in general, especially an RPG that is a year (plus?) away from actually being finished. As someone who doesn't generally enjoy replaying content (I have little enough gaming time as it is), playing a game that is likely to have bugs and/or change significantly by the time it's actually released makes very little sense to me. That said, he might enjoy messing around in the world.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Solasta seems to be more true to 5e gameplay than BG3, and it will be out of early access on May 27.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fucking Blizzard. I decided to try that D2 Resurrected but I need to log into Battlenet. Well I cant find my authenticator and go and grab the digital one for my phone. But I cant use it because it wants me to log in and disable my physical one. But I cant log in because I cant find my physical one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not worth looking for or calling over. Ill just skip Blizzard forever.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If it makes you feel any better, D2 Resurrected isn’t out yet. They’ve only done one public beta at this point, and the full game won’t be released until this fall (rumored)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:10 pm Fucking Blizzard. I decided to try that D2 Resurrected but I need to log into Battlenet. Well I cant find my authenticator and go and grab the digital one for my phone. But I cant use it because it wants me to log in and disable my physical one. But I cant log in because I cant find my physical one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not worth looking for or calling over. Ill just skip Blizzard forever.
Removing Blizzard Authenticator
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:10 pm Ill just skip Blizzard forever.
You're going to run out of gaming companies sooner or later.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:08 pm
Yeah, that seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. :|
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:08 pm
Not if Daehawk's primary interest in gaming is almost exclusively focused upon bellyaching. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 pm Not if Daehawk's primary interest in gaming is almost exclusively focused upon bellyaching. ;)
Mortoned that for you...
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 pm Not if Daehawk's primary interest in gaming is almost exclusively focused upon bellyaching. ;)
Mortoned that for you...
Touché. :lol:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sad news for those of us gronards who enjoyed wargames, both board and computer ones, Wargaming titan John Tiller has died
John Tiller, the founder of John Tiller Software and a modern titan of wargaming, has died. Tiller passed April 26 following a “brief but courageous battle with brain cancer,” and was surrounded by his family in his Suwanee, Georgia home. He was 67.

After earning a Ph.D in mathematics from McMaster University in 1980, Tiller began working in computer wargames at TalonSoft in 1995, working on 15 games and add-ons, including Battleground Gettysburg. As his obituary recalls, it was Tiller’s “lifelong interest in military history and strategic board games” that inspired him to strike out on his own a year later and found John Tiller Software in 1996.

Since then, his company has produced more than 80 commercial wargames and worked on more than 20 research contracts for the United States Air Force and Navy. The John Tiller Software website says more than 21,000 Air Force officers have used Modern Air Power in their training at the Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base. Tiller himself loved to fly, and his obituary lists his certification as a licensed commercial pilot as “one of his proudest achievements.”

Tiller’s games spanned a huge breadth of military history, ranging from the Musket and Pike series that cover the Seven Years War and the Renaissance period, to the Modern Campaigns games set during the Cold War era. You can find a review of the studio’s latest offering, Scheldt ’44, on our sister site, Wargamer.

Tiller is survived by his wife Patricia, his two daughters, and two granddaughters. In lieu of flowers, his family has requested donations to Tiller’s favourite charities: the Atlanta Food Bank or The Salvation Army.
Very sad, and a bit disturbing, as he was my age.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That is disturbing. I have at least 3/4 of his games. He was a major force in wargaming. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I haven't heard the term grognard in a while. Why have I only ever heard it in the context of gaming, anyway? Shouldn't it refer to any actual old soldier with grumpy opinions?
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JetFred wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:29 pm I haven't heard the term grognard in a while. Why have I only ever heard it in the context of gaming, anyway? Shouldn't it refer to any actual old soldier with grumpy opinions?
grognard
n. An old soldier.
n. Someone who enjoys playing board wargames, particularly the counter-heavy strategy board wargames from the 1970s and 1980s.
n. Someone who enjoys playing previous editions of roleplaying games when new editions of the game are available.
grognard (plural grognards) An old soldier. A soldier of the original imperial guard that was created by Napoleon I in 1804 and that made the final French charge at Waterloo. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing older war-games or roleplaying games, or older versions of such games, when newer ones are available.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sorry, didn't see you posted this in randomness. Figured he deserved his own thread!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who care, the Steam page for Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 is up and there is a demo available.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:03 pm
Try to play Void Destroyer, which is an RTS / First-person space ship hybrid. Reminds me of the old game "Alliance" where one guy needs to be the RTS "Admiral" directing ships, while others play as the pilots of various ships, from fighters to frigates. The mechanics do get a bit complex, as I haven't even gotten past the tutorials. Can't seem to get the gamepad to work?
You mean "Allegiance" which was an amazing Microsoft game. I was kind of hoping for Void Destroyer to have the option of going co-op vs the AI, but alas it is single-player only.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Thanks for the correction. I seem to recall Allegiance being an Indie project before swallowed by Microsoft, but could be my memory going at old age. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saints Row 3 Remaster is out. Its like GTA with crazy.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm Saints Row 3 Remaster is out.
It's been out for almost a year as an Epic Games exclusive, so it may be coming to Steam soon.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:53 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm Saints Row 3 Remaster is out.
It's been out for almost a year as an Epic Games exclusive, so it may be coming to Steam soon.
May 22nd for Steam.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is downtown. I feel the need to go sometime. $12 all day. Wonder if they have snacks and drinks.

https://www.chattanoogapinballmuseum.com/

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sony is partnering with Discord and plans to bring Discord to PSN. I certainly hope it will only be optional. I'm assuming it's going to be done via linking accounts via an app. Should make playing multiplatform titles easier. One of the pains I had while playing multiplatform Rocket League with a friend was not having chat capability between platforms.

https://gamingtrend.com/news/time-for-m ... next-year/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

4K remaster of the original Dark Alliance is getting released tomorrow. :shock: Doesn't sound like anyone even knew this was in the works.

I'm all over this. Not sure how well it holds up now, but I really loved that game on PS2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One more year and it will be 3 decades since Wolfenstein 3D was released.

I can remember renting it at a video store for the SNES in the early 90s. I actually didn't like it. I wasn't sure at the time if it was because it was the first FPS I played or because it was a port to the SNES from PC. I remember not being interested in shooters at that point or after. But then in 94 my PC came with shareware DOOM on it and I got hooked. RPG is still a favorite and so is Strategy and other...but shooter is probably my favorite where back then RPG was.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is a serious shot straight to the nostalgia feels. While they didn't add anything at all, the upscaling makes the game look really good (for a PS2 title) and it's still a blast to play. Just finished Act 1 tonight with my human Archer, and that Beholder is still a bugger.

Even 20 years on, this game still has both the best spider animations, and one of the best water animations around The voice cast is pretty fantastic too, especially Tony Jay, John Rhys-Davies, and Jennifer Hale.

While I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone who didn't have nostalgia for the original (it's a straight-up port of a 20 year old PS2 game, after all), it's very fun for those of us who do. I haven't played it since I sold my PS2 all those years ago, so it was definitely a welcome surprise this week.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hardspace Shipbreaker's 0.4.0 update just dropped. It resets ALL progress (though it keeps your old save files so you *can* go back to 0.3.1 if you want to) so I was back playing the tutorials, and the initial levels. Just made it to rank 3.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:25 am Wow, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is a serious shot straight to the nostalgia feels.
I owned (and enjoyed) this for the cube back in the day. (Man did I love my gamecube but I digress...) But, I actually never finished it. I was considering picking this up for the Switch today after reading your post but apparently it's been delayed due to an issue with Nintendo's eShop. (Nicely done Nintendo. Great at making games but bad at nearly everything else....)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:25 am Wow, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is a serious shot straight to the nostalgia feels.
I owned (and enjoyed) this for the cube back in the day. (Man did I love my gamecube but I digress...) But, I actually never finished it. I was considering picking this up for the Switch today after reading your post but apparently it's been delayed due to an issue with Nintendo's eShop. (Nicely done Nintendo. Great at making games but bad at nearly everything else....)
I actually wanted to get it on Switch, but after waiting all day for it to show up, I just grabbed it on PS4 instead.

I do think it’s wildly overpriced at $30 (considering they didn’t do anything other than up the resolution), but it was worth the nostalgia investment for me. Ymmv there.

Really hoping they release the second game at some point too.