Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Post by Smoove_B »

10 minute Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Narrated Nisha Walkthrough Video
Watch Nisha’s walkthrough video recorded from PAX Prime, narrated by developers from Gearbox Software and 2K Australia.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For anyone getting this through Steam, the pre-load is now available (actually it was available yesterday :wink:). I didn't find it till I happened to check my Steam Library entry for the game, but now I'm subscribed to their RSS feed.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Brian

Post by Brian »

Looks like they won't be offering a four pack on this one.

Guess I'll be waiting for a sale sometime in the future.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Polygon Review says its MOTS which is expected but...
about 18-24 hours to mainline the main story with some side missions thrown in.

For $60?

Waiting for the inevitable Steam sale on this one.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Does sound a bit short, but part of the fun of the Borderlands series is replaying as another character or playing in True Vault Hunter mode. I'm already committed with a pre-order so I'll be posting some first impressions tomorrow night.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Since when did 18-24 hours when only doing some of the side quests become a short game?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Already bought and pre-loaded. I will post impressions if this thread is not full of them next Monday when out 4 person group gets going. Assuming all the others have bought the game.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

miltonite wrote:Already bought and pre-loaded. I will post impressions if this thread is not full of them next Monday when out 4 person group gets going. Assuming all the others have bought the game.
I bought it but am not planning on playing before we meet up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Teggy wrote:Since when did 18-24 hours when only doing some of the side quests become a short game?
Given that a game with multiplayer these days usually provides a 10-hour campaign for $60. And that's if you're lucky.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote:
Teggy wrote:Since when did 18-24 hours when only doing some of the side quests become a short game?
Given that a game with multiplayer these days usually provides a 10-hour campaign for $60. And that's if you're lucky.
If you are speaking of the Call of Duty or Halo type games, the MP usually can give dozens of hours of gaming time, so a short campaign (to me) isn't a big deal for those games. The Borderlands series only has co-op and it's usually used as part of playing the main campaign or side missions, so I think this type of game should have a substantial main campaign. I think that 18-24 hours might be long enough to make it worth the price if there is replay-ability in a second play through as a different character.

And honestly, playing Borderlands to me is sometimes just about taking an hour out of the real world to go around shooting things and laughing at the dumb jokes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tomb Raider - average 15 hours
Killzone: Shadow Fall - average 12h, 29m
Metro: Last Light - average 13h, 19m
Bioshock: Infinite - average 15h, 27m
Bulletstorm - average 9h, 32m
ARMA 3 - average 20h, 40m

Data from howlongtobeat.com

18-24 hours doesn't seem like such a bad deal.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Since Bioware started releasing games with 40-80 hours. Apparently, Dragon Age Inquisition is around 150-200 hours if you do every side quest. :shock:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ah, I didn't expect this... the game is already available to play :wub:. I just did play the first hour or so just to make sure for you folks :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Impressions after 113 minutes on the PC :D .

It's Borderlands 2... IN SPACE! There are a lot of elements common with Borderlands 2 (hereafter B2). Unlike some of the reviews, I don't think that's a bad thing. I liked B2, so I'm liking the gameplay here. In Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (hereafter BPS) things are not all the same and that does make the game a nice change.

The game kicks off with about the first thirty minutes on a space station. BPS starts off with a lot more action than B2 and so you are up to speed on the storyline. I'm avoiding spoilers so I won't relate what happens, but it's fun. The rest of the time (and I guess for the rest of the game) you are down on the surface of the moon Elpis. You meet a main character and get some side missions to build up your XP and get you familiar with the gameplay mechanics. Again, not wanting to spoil it, I'll just say that the lack of oxygen and the low gravity allowed the developers to add new gameplay mechanics that are integral to how you have to play the game. You will meet nasty creatures and some bad guys right away, but by this time I had already unlocked my special skill so it allowed me to try it out. I'm playing as Nisha the Lawgiver and her special skill has been a big help already.

The game has been rock solid for me, running at 60fps at a res of 1920x1200. The controls are similar to B2, so it was nothing to get up to speed on the game. About the only bad thing I've found is where in B2 you would be inspecting a weapon or gadget and could click the right stick to append the image with a red cross or a yellow star to rate the item, now you only have the yellow star. Why they would change that I don't know, I used both symbols in B2. But not a big deal at all.

I'm off to the big city the rest of the day, so I won't get back to the game till this evening. More impressions then.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Is the voice actor for Jack the same guy? He sounds different for some reason. Perhaps he is trying to sound more "youthful" or maybe there will be a reason his voice changes.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Sounds about the same to me but it's been a while since I've played BL2.

All I know is that so far I've died about five times as often to random instant death pits than to enemies.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Same guy, Dameon Clarke.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:Same guy, Dameon Clarke.
Must be his less sarcastic/sardonic tone. I look forward to seeing how he "evolves" in the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, 3.6 hours complete on the PC. I've just started... (slight spoiler for campaign progression)
Spoiler:
Chapter 3, Systems Jammed, which gets me access to Concordia, the new Sanctuary of BtPS
The folks who say this should have just been another DLC for B2, well, the gameplay is significantly different because of the low gravity... Minor spoiler for gameplay, not plot...
Spoiler:
The low gravity adds new tactics, like the butt slam, crushing your opponents from above. Also, because you can jump up and then jump again while in mid-air, which uses up O2, you can reach some very interesting places. Fights become more vertical, and you now have to think about what might be hidden above or below you. Oh, and the enemy fights in the vertical as well. Keep an air on the sky!
... and due to the need for oxygen... Minor spoiler for gameplay, not plot...
Spoiler:
This need to keep replenishing your O2 might be the most significant change in the gameplay. You have a reserve of O2, but once outside of a building or an O2 dome, you start depleting the reserve. You need to find O2 vents, O2 canisters, or another building with O2. And while you are doing this, you might be getting attacked.
Also you may end up having to risk running out of O2 when you try to reach some out of the way spot. Adds another tactical consideration to a fight.
I've been playing as Nisha the Lawgiver, so there's an emphasis on guns, which is my strong suit from B2.

If you have questions, I'll be playing for the next three hours or so.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I wasn't planning on getting this at all, but even though I'm headed out of town today I couldn't help but pick up a copy and play a bit before I crashed last night.

Overall pretty fun. None of the new characters really spoke to me, but my favorite has always been soldiers, so I went with Wilhelm. I started to play initially with Claptrap, but the three warnings about how different he plays were enough to make me switch to a more normal character for my first game. :P

I totally agree with jztemple2 though... as small as the changes to the game may seem, they did a great job of incorporating them into the gameplay and make them fun as opposed to a chore (which oxygen management could quickly end up being). I'm especially liking the jump booster... there are some fun maneuvers you can pull off once you get a feel for how it works.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The following items inclosed in the spoiler tags are not plot or campaign related, just about things you find in the game. I'm putting them in spoilers just in case. There are two images which folks might not want to see until they come across them, however, they don't give away any plot details.
Spoiler:
Another thing about vacuum... fire elemental weapons don't work as well there as in air, which is kind of obvious, but kind of neat that they included that.

Moonstone is the BtPS version of Eridium, seems more plentiful, but I guess it's because you have an opportunity to spend it on things like this Moxxtail. Kudos for the HHGttG reference.
Lasers replace rocket launchers, which is good because lasers can be used in more situations. I will miss using a rocket to really hammer a boss however. This is my favorite gun so far:
Image click to enlarge
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Randy's wife Kristy posted this wep pic. Spoilering it in case someone wants to find it. Dont think you can pick it up.
Spoiler:
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Lasers don't replace launchers. They're the BL2 E-tech weapons spun off as a new category (and, in the case of basic lasers at least, made actually really good).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zurai wrote:Lasers don't replace launchers. They're the BL2 E-tech weapons spun off as a new category (and, in the case of basic lasers at least, made actually really good).
Yup, I just found that out. My backpack now has 27 slots and I still keep filling them too fast :roll:

Did find a couple of missions I don't like, the ones with timers. I gave them a go but now they are in the "Ignored" category. Also there's another one that... (minor spoiler)
Spoiler:
Requires me to collect and donate fifty "normal" (white text) weapons. And apparently each time I got there to drop off a few I have to fight a bunch of bad guys. Pain in the ass, and I think I'll be waiting till I'm way, way leveled up.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Timer ones always sucked a$$.

I think the only quest in BL2 that I never did was the 3rd postal delivery one. I said screw it. I did the other two a couple of times and then blew them off on subsequent playthroughs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

So far, Claptrap isn't so bad.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In Concordia, where is the place where you can share items between characters? I did learn there there was one (just like in Sanctuary) but darn if I can remember where? :|

UPDATE: Nevermind, I always seem to find these things right after I post :oops:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I just have to say, all of the Borderlands games are better than Destiny (particularly this one).

Just saying.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I do have a gripe about the variety of Oz kits... (minor spoiler, nothing campaign related)
Spoiler:
I have come across a variety of Oz kits, ones that give your grenades enhanced performance when you jump, ones that increase the critical hits you get, that type of thing. But I can't get away from using this same one I've been using for most of the game:

The reason is that it heals you every time you find an O2 canister. It seems to me to be the most important feature of any Oz kit I've found. Has anyone seen any other kits that heal you?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now I figured out why there are so many moonstones, as compared to eridium in the last game... (minor spoiler, not plot related)
Spoiler:
It turns out that sometimes, when you find a fancy gun treasure chest, it takes moonstones to unlock it. One of them asked for forty (40!) moonstones and I just had to see what was worth all those moonstones. Turns out it wasn't really worth it, at least not to me. The price may be related to how many moonstones you are currently holding. Anyway, now it's back to hunting things to find more moonstones.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Exodor wrote:Polygon Review says its MOTS which is expected but...
about 18-24 hours to mainline the main story with some side missions thrown in.
Well, maybe they bypassed most of the side missions, but I'm at 25 hours and I haven't even unlocked my fourth quick slot yet (those the slots you get with the directional pad if you using a controller). I'm still having fun. I'm most of the way through level eighteen of my character, but I don't know where it tops out. And I just started... (minor campaign spoiler regarding chapter numbers and locations)
Spoiler:
Chapter 7, Home Sweet Home, which returns me back to Helios. Don't know if this is the final showdown, but doesn't seem likely since as I said, I haven't even unlocked the fourth quick slot.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something I just noticed that looks odd:

This is in the start menu, I don't know why there is a crown on my name. Don't remember it being there before.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I think it just means that you're currently hosting the online session that the game creates. If anyone else drops in, they won't have a crown because they're in your game. It's there in BL2 as well.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Bad Demographic

"Bloody-Harvest Celebration" Oct. 30 through Nov. 2. I guess (un)Deadlift could (will?) drop a special weapon, the Bloody Harvest Jack-o-Cannon.
I've noticed the the money drops are candy and the various barrels (fire, corrosive, exploding, etc.) have pumpkins on them and flames shoot up around them when they are destroyed.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I did some grinding, and I came out with two of those super fancy moonglow weapons. Checking on the other categories such as shields, nothing that fancy yet. I did notice it won't let me grind anything that was pulled out of the golden key chest. Maybe I have just been lucky, but between those, and some really good drops and quest rewards, I have been feeling like a badass quite a lot, and I still only have two weapon slots. It feels like they upped the ability to get higher quality weapons earlier in the game.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got this on the cheap during the holiday sale and I could really use your help with 2 things.

1. I never got any of the B2 addons other than the psycho pack so idont know who Athena is. Can you explain the opening intro to me?

2. More importanly what is a character that is really fun to play....or at least seems better than the other ones. I had planned since ifirst heard about it to play Nisha because Im a pistol player. But ive watched a lot of videos since then and now they all look great in their own ways...especially Clappy. But I see that I somehow got Jack for free. I mean playing Jackl must be pretty cool right?
Bad Demographic

Daehawk wrote:I got this on the cheap during the holiday sale and I could really use your help with 2 things.

1. I never got any of the B2 addons other than the psycho pack so idont know who Athena is. Can you explain the opening intro to me?

2. More importanly what is a character that is really fun to play....or at least seems better than the other ones. I had planned since ifirst heard about it to play Nisha because Im a pistol player. But ive watched a lot of videos since then and now they all look great in their own ways...especially Clappy. But I see that I somehow got Jack for free. I mean playing Jackl must be pretty cool right?
I think Athena is from one of the dlc's for the original Borderlands game - maybe something about General Knox?
As for the opening intro, just watch it - apparently the orig. Borderlands characters sans Roland captured Athena. The Pre-Sequel is what she tells them.

So far I like Claptrap (actually - Fragtrap) the best. He's funny, has interesting specials. I've only played Wilhelm and Nisha a little bit. I'm running Athena in a 2-player game (the other player is running Nisha) but I haven't figured out much about her, even though she's around level 25. I decided not to get the Jack doppelganger character because I don't like Jack. I watched part of a YouTube video about Jack as a playable character and he sounded better for playing alone (apparently he tends to screw the other characters - not an especially endearing trait for co-op, imo).

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huh..I have Jack free. Unless when I got to play him they try to charge me then.

I tried Whelheim first. I died twice in the tutorial station area lol. Awful....me not him. I like his drones but got them so late I didn't really get to test them.

Ive decided that since that tutorial area is so short I can use it to test all the characters before choosing a single player one and my online one. I usually play two different characters.

Jack is a hoot...so far I have found him super funny. Ive been laughing out loud and repeating what he says so my wife can understand the game's fun side.,
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep it wanted me to buy Jack after all. Oh well. Saves me one choice :)