Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess it's been officially announced -- here's a short video narrated by Randy Pitchford.
Coming Fall 2014 to Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
4 new character classes:

Athena - the Gladiator
Wilhelm - the Enforcer
Nisha - the Lawbringer
Claptrap - the Fragtrap

Apparently it's going to take place around the Hyperion base on the moon, focused on Handsome Jack.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Freyland

Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Post by Freyland »

"Its a great time to jump in and see what the fuss is all about"
No, a great time to jump in is when BL2 is on sale for 75% off, not when you have a full-priced MOTS available. Who knew that airless moons were a bountiful haven for spacesuit-wearing bandits?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

When it comes to Borderlands, I'm fine with MOTS...it's not Borderlands 3 so hopefully they'll have something new for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, me too. I really liked Borderlands 2. It comes down to the writing and the environments for me. The only thing that has me nervous is that development was outsourced. To suggest Gearbox has a bad history with that is an understatement. :)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I enjoyed b2 so I’m sure I’ll play it. I wish they would find a way to move away from the bullet spongy enemies though.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, me too. I really liked Borderlands 2. It comes down to the writing and the environments for me. The only thing that has me nervous is that development was outsourced. To suggest Gearbox has a bad history with that is an understatement. :)
Isn't outsourced to the guys that made Borderlands 1? Watching the video I wasn't sure why they were so excited to have the Aussie guys working on it...I could only guess they made the first one or something.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I believe 2K Australia was the developer for BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah, that's why they were making a big deal. Well, hopefully they won't screw it up
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

IceBear wrote:Ah, that's why they were making a big deal. Well, hopefully they won't screw it up
I doubt they'll let the golden cash cow be killed.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

But it might have some interesting guns in it! They should definitely kill it to find out.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

I'm shocked I'm not excited about this, considering I have about 600 hours of play time in the first two games. I think the way of the DLC garbage has really spoiled my interest in the Borderlands saga. This is going to be a 'if a friend gets it when it's on sale for 5 bux with everything included' kind of game for me. Even if there is no DLC for this new title, they sort of over did it on BL2 and really lost me as a customer - at least for now.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I will get it. Our Monday night Borderlands 2 group is still going strong. We will probably play BL2 until this comes out and switch over at that time.

Edit: Typing is hard
Last edited by miltonite on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

miltonite wrote:I will get it. Our Monday night Borderlands 2 group is still going strong. We will probably play BL2 until this comes out and stitch over at that time.
That'll save you nine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Tentatively interested. Gravity changes, and better movement, sound intriguing. Tracking oxygen otherwise sounds sort of lame.

Now is a good time to re-think the skill tree/inventory/eq slot approach, too. I won't hold my breath.
KDH

Post by KDH »

odd that 'next-gen' consoles aren't listed .. isn't that like saying .. "will fully support direct-x 3 cards!!!"
Ain't nobody got time for that
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I'm sure not having to port the engine over made it economically feasible.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Peacedog wrote:Tentatively interested. Gravity changes, and better movement, sound intriguing. Tracking oxygen otherwise sounds sort of lame.

Now is a good time to re-think the skill tree/inventory/eq slot approach, too. I won't hold my breath.
Okay, you were making a joke there, right? (tracking oxygen / won't hold my breath)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Bad Demographic wrote:
Okay, you were making a joke there, right? (tracking oxygen / won't hold my breath)[/quote]

It takes place on the moon. They specifically mentioned having to find oxygen canisters to replinish your supply when "out doors". They also mentioned using Oxygen to do things like double jump, "glide", dash, etc.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Peacedog wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
Okay, you were making a joke there, right? (tracking oxygen / won't hold my breath)
It takes place on the moon. They specifically mentioned having to find oxygen canisters to replinish your supply when "out doors". They also mentioned using Oxygen to do things like double jump, "glide", dash, etc.[/quote]
I got that part Peace, I was referring to using "tracking oxygen" and then saying "I won't hold my breath" about the skill tree.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

7 minutes from Game Trailers - interview and game play.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ELPIS!

All this time I was wondering why the hell they named their moon 'Elvis.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote:A 9 minute trailer? Whoa.
This video highlights almost everything I love about Borderlands. Pew Pew Mother****ers, that's right laser shotguns, "YOU'RE WELCOME!!!"
FTE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scraper wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:A 9 minute trailer? Whoa.
This video highlights almost everything I love about Borderlands. Pew Pew Mother****ers, that's right laser shotguns, "YOU'RE WELCOME!!!"
I'm sold, it's a pre-order for me :D. Damn, those guys really know how to make an awesome video.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After I watched that yesterday, I imagined the voice actor for Mr. Torgue had to be hospitalized after recording it. 9 minutes of that? It's crazy. :D
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Pre-ordered, who saw that coming....
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Brian

Post by Brian »

Hopefully they offer a four pack sale soon. They usually go for about $37.50 per person that way.

Anybody want to go in for a slot if/when it becomes available?
Last edited by Brian on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Tao

Post by Tao »

Game looks good, trailer was pretty funny, like the new content....not for $60 bucks tho. That price is a bit too steep IMHO for something I've already bought and played twice. Somewhere between $30-$40 will most likely be my sweet spot.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was very confused by the price. I thought the strategy was for to release $50 game, followed by 5+ DLC packs at $10 a pop. The cost seems very off, but maybe I'm not fully understanding the scope.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:After I watched that yesterday, I imagined the voice actor for Mr. Torgue had to be hospitalized after recording it. 9 minutes of that? It's crazy. :D
Ok, I about lost it when he said "TASTE THE NIETZSCHEAN INNER CONFLICT, MOTHER@#$%ER!"
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Brian wrote:Hopefully they offer a four pack sale soon. They usually for for about $37.50 per person that way.

Well since I didn't preorder last night due to getting a page I will take a slot if you do this.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

miltonite wrote:
Brian wrote:Hopefully they offer a four pack sale soon. They usually for for about $37.50 per person that way.

Well since I didn't preorder last night due to getting a page I will take a slot if you do this.
I, too, would be interested.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My local friend will probably be down for the fourth slot so unless he says otherwise it looks like we've got our four.

That is, assuming they actually offer a four pack.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Yeesh, they're selling the game at full price? Bummer. After 700 hours in the first 2 games, there's no chance I'm paying full price again. They DLC'd me out on BL2. It was too excessive.
Love the game, hate the business model. Looks like I'll be on the sidelines until it's 5 bucks for everything, which is a bummer, because it's coop or not at all with BL games.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've managed to enjoy both games without playing co-op more than a couple times.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed the hell out of both games and never touched MP. Ever.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

With Teggy, Arcanis, Grifman I didn't play BL2 at all solo except to get a feel for it. For Borderlands 1 I played through solo, with Arcanis and also with Arcanis, GreenGoo and Grifman. I have no problem paying full price for the game, I got more than enough enjoyment from them for the purchase to be justified.

Having a 4 person regular group is where this game shines IMO. Hopefully Grifman, Teggy and Arcanis are all planning on getting this one as well so we can get our Monday Night games going once again.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I did one BL1 playthrough solo and one with a group. The group one was fun, but I remember having some issues getting gun upgrades because of some loot distribution issues, plus organizing was kind of a pain. Thanks, Gamespy!

I'm playing BL2 solo. If I do a second playthrough, I might try and do some MP with the people still hanging around. I like continuity too much to want to MP my first time through though. Yeah, even with a story as ridiculous as Borderlands'.

I'll potentially be in on the not a sequel if/when I finish BL2. That could be a while though. I'm only now getting around to it, I'm just over halfway through my first time through, and I'm already north of 20 hours. Then there's the main DLCs from the season pass. Then the other ones maybe? And that's just one character. I do want to play around with Krieg, since I paid for him and all. I guess I can't say I won't get my money's worth.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

miltonite wrote:With Teggy, Arcanis, Grifman I didn't play BL2 at all solo except to get a feel for it. For Borderlands 1 I played through solo, with Arcanis and also with Arcanis, GreenGoo and Grifman. I have no problem paying full price for the game, I got more than enough enjoyment from them for the purchase to be justified.

Having a 4 person regular group is where this game shines IMO. Hopefully Grifman, Teggy and Arcanis are all planning on getting this one as well so we can get our Monday Night games going once again.
My borderlands play time was well in excess of 500 hours. While I tend to play games for long periods at a stretch, that's in the MMO class which is often an order of magnitude higher than any other genre.

i.e. I played a LOT of Borderlands.

For whatever reason I've been slow to jump on BL2. I did play it for a little while and it was everything I remember the first being plus more, but I guess I'm just going through a phase that is interested in other genres more.