Undertale - Amazing "retro" RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Undertale - Amazing "retro" RPG

Post by Skinypupy »

A glowing article about Undertale on Kotaku caught my eye a couple weeks ago, but I kinda dismissed as my patience for anything "retro" is pretty minimal. Then I started to see the 100% reviews roll in and knew I had to give it a shot.

So far (I've put in about three hours), the game is worth every bit of the lavish praise it's receiving. Retro look aside, Undertale is interesting, funny, moving, and absolutely charming. It obviously takes lots of cues from other classic RPGs like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, but the unique style, awesome music, and fantastic dialog is so well done you can't help but love it.

If you have even a passing interest in RPG's, give this one a look.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Re: Undertale - Amazing "retro" RPG

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks for that...I would have completely skipped over that due to the "retro" tag if you had not posted.

But with that review...now it's on my wishlist.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, thanks. Not really my thing, but that's the type of game my wife loves.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

The recent Steam Spring Cleaning Event got me to finally play Undertale. And I've got to agree with my man Skinypupy: this is a great game.

I assiduously avoided reading anything about the game (for five years!), and I'm glad I did. Discovering what the game was about made it more fun. So I'll be pretty vague in my description of the game in case you might play it too.

Undertale has a story that made me wonder, and characters that I'm going to miss. Its multiple endings and relatively brief length give it replay value. (Though I choose to watch let's-play videos rather than try to find all the endings on my own.) Its themes and secrets have me searching the web for fans' various interpretations and observations.

The dialogue is madcap and hilarious. The denizens of the game world are varied and ridiculous. In battle, each type of enemy has a distinctly animated minigame, as well as funny quips to say between turns.

The game designer's chief inspiration was the Super Nintendo game Earthbound, but the art style and kooky humor remind me of Maniac Mansion, too. And, fortunately, it's closer to Maniac Mansion in terms of challenge. (I found Earthbound too lengthy and difficult.) Though Undertale is slow at times because of puzzle-strewn areas and a couple of characters who are a little too talky, its overall pace is just right.

Undertale is one of those games, like Portal and Civilization, that's so rich in character and innovation that every gamer should play it even if not every gamer will like it. It's essential.

(Edited to please grammar tsundere.)
Last edited by Hipolito on Thu May 28, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids LOVE Undertale.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

For whatever reason my 16 year old and her friends recently got VERY into Undertale. Now when whenever we go somewhere in the car and she has control of the music it's nothing but the soundtrack. :mrgreen:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:36 pm For whatever reason my 16 year old and her friends recently got VERY into Undertale. Now when whenever we go somewhere in the car and she has control of the music it's nothing but the soundtrack. :mrgreen:
Hey, thanks for sharing that. My 16YO girl pretty much only plays Minecraft (and has really cut down on that lately). Will be interested to see if SHE is interested in this.

The latest gaming craze in our house is meatspace chess, though, which I am practically giddy about. My 10YO son came home from after school care the other day saying that he had been playing it for hours (and then got my 16 YO playing). The 14 YO, who hates everything right now, and I mean EVERYthing, of course would have nothing to do with it. :P