[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by gbasden »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm I had it on deity.
I gave up on that game. Too many of my cities and independent and too little opponents.
I started a new game with the Highland map. I like it, pretty cool. No oceans so you better pick your opponent civs and stay away from the sea powers. Peru and the Maya look to be good ones for this tho.
It's pretty great for the Gaul, too. The culture bomb effect every time you drop a mine lets you expand your cities really quickly if you have valid mine spaces.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I don't like the looks of the Dramatic Ages mechanism, so I haven't tried a game with it on.

As with the rest of the Frontier Pass, the new Civs are extremely powerful (in their own playstyle) compared to the base-game or expansion Civs.

Gaul was good fun, and Basil II has been amazing for an early game war. "Combat improves your Faith, and Religion improves your Combat readiness." Super Dooper snowball possibilities, if you feel like being in a game-long war.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It wasn't in the game docs, but the dev video explicitly said that Gauls' mine culture bomb does *not* affect other Civs' territory. They tried it as a real culture bomb on an earlier build and it was way too powerful.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm not sure if I'm going to try the Dramatic Ages again myself. I tried Apocalypse a couple of times before giving up on it too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:29 pm I'm not sure if I'm going to try the Dramatic Ages again myself. I tried Apocalypse a couple of times before giving up on it too.
Exactly the same for me. Cheers!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:14 pm It wasn't in the game docs, but the dev video explicitly said that Gauls' mine culture bomb does *not* affect other Civs' territory. They tried it as a real culture bomb on an earlier build and it was way too powerful.
I can believe that. It's been great even not taking their territory. I can drop a city near a new enemy city and while he's still only got his inner ring I can bring in a couple of builders and basically envelop him with the right terrain.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am finding with the Highland map a hard time making money. Most games I play I build harbors for the trade routes and cash.
Now I am rushing commercial hubs after falling behind.I usually build them later than I am now.
They do the job fine but it did make me have to rethink my way of doing things.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:53 am I am finding with the Highland map a hard time making money. Most games I play I build harbors for the trade routes and cash.
Now I am rushing commercial hubs after falling behind.I usually build them later than I am now.
They do the job fine but it did make me have to rethink my way of doing things.
The Highland map (which was one of my favorites in earlier Civs), isn't quite the same as before. But you're right that you have to plan a few more commercial districts as compared to earlier maps. Unfortunately there isn't a planet age setting to really crank up the mountains and make the uber choke-hold map like you could especially in Civ 4.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think I have discovered a new world wonder......the Statue of Zeus. Not sure what else it does but it gives you 3 spearmen and 2 archers.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 pm I think I have discovered a new world wonder......the Statue of Zeus. Not sure what else it does but it gives you 3 spearmen and 2 archers.
And a battering ram! (It is new, as of September's Frontier Pass.)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Next free update next week has a Pirates Mode. Looking forward to it.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-v ... 020-update
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I didn't get this game until it was 3-4 years olde. I wonder how much gameplay has changed since then?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 pm I think I have discovered a new world wonder......the Statue of Zeus. Not sure what else it does but it gives you 3 spearmen and 2 archers.
Why would a statue give you soldiers?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Propaganda is a hell of a drug recruitment tool.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 pm
Because they hadn't invented ice cream yet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 pm
Because they hadn't invented ice cream yet.
Maybe the Baskin Robbins wonder will be in future updates.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bah! The Pirates update is multiplayer only.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not only that but you can't create new games. You can load games however. :snooty:
Read where it might be mod incompatibility but disabling all mods didn't do it for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 pm Not only that but you can't create new games. You can load games however. :snooty:
Read where it might be mod incompatibility but disabling all mods didn't do it for me.
Create single player games? I had no issue with this, i was able to create a new game and it started fine.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I couldn't. But I can now. Fortunately I had the secret password. :?

As a sidenote I already have a pirate civ in Black Bart Roberts. A mod.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

You can choose Hot Seat Game and then select the Pirates mode and then have only you playing and everyone else is the computer. That's not clear when you are at the Multiplayer Window. it appears you have to join a game to play Pirates, but that is not the case.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

This works to change Pirates from multiplayer to Single Person Scenario. I like it better this way:

make a simple edit to PiratesScenario_Config.xml which is in the DLC\PirateScenario\Data folder. Just browse to it from Steam. At line 8 just change the 0 to 1 for the SupportsSinglePlayer entry. You can then start the Pirates scenario from Single player menu. If you have a sharp eye, you will also spot the max turns. I have set mine to 80 to test.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yep, that worked. Only for me it was Line 5. Changed the turns too.
And you have to open the file with notepad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Having fun with the new pirate mode. I can only join multiplayer games through the "Internet" option and join games. At least that works. Seems like a good amount of people playing it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Been liking the new heroes so far. Many of them seem only useful during wartime, but I like using Hercules to rush-build districts as often as he can be resurrected. The Mayan hero is good for building an early army, send it to flip barbarians to your side. And then there's the one who eats luxury items and craps out research points for techs and civics. Send him well past your border to make enemy lands more barren than they might otherwise be. I also like the hero that sprouts new resources.
Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Maui seeds resources and since they are continually nerfing the game to make amenieties stronger that can make a difference.

Hercules rushes districts (a trait that's useful all game long) and that's huge.

My last game I got Anansi, the dude who eats resources and craps science very early. I ended up so far down the science path that techs were gonna take 30 turns which turned into dark ages. I'm not sure he helped me as much as I thought he was going to.

I've seen folks go wild over sinbad, but he always seems to be one of the last heroes that turns up for me and by that point the world is pretty much explored.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I haven't been playing too much with the newest changes. The great people look okay and I've used a couple but I'm playing Babylon and it doesn't appeal to me so I'm dragging my feet with it. I'm just trying it because it's something new not because of any enthusiasm.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've been winning all my games lately with diplomatic victory. Maybe I'll start disabling it. During early and mid game, throw diplomatic favor at all of your choices when voting on the world council. You get 1 DP every time your choice wins. Win all of the disaster aid competitions by throwing cash at it. You can probably manage a couple of 2 point awards before the rest gang up on you. Rather than trying to defy the will of the world, spend nothing and vote for yourself to lose 2, since you will then be on the winning side, you only lose 1 point. If you've spent your DF on the other choices and won them, you could walk away with a +1.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Very clever. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dfs

Post by dfs »

Yup. If I can survive the first 50 turns then I usually end up with a diplo win. Sometimes I get there in science, but usually I get the diplo points first. When computer players ask for aid who is in position to send them a bunch of cash and rack up the diplo points? This guy.

A few weeks ago I was on track for a science win and an comet hits my spaceport. I'm thinking I'll just trash the game and then a couple turns later there is the diplo win screen.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wow, no posts since mid-December?

The Frontiers Pass is now apparently done. Haven't heard what's next from them, if they are going to do another subscription thing, sell some more packs, or reset the board with Civ VII.

The last update brings Portuguese, Zombies, and, presumably, Portuguese Zombies.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

They said that a very large patch is coming in April. No exact date released yet. It focuses on balance changes. I'm waiting for it before diving back in.

It's unknown after April's patch. Will it be another season or Civ VII? The frontier pass did meet their sales goal. I really enjoyed it. I love the new trend with these monthly patches and new content. It's a great way to give back to the fans and keep the interest. It got me to play dozens of more hours. I really like some of the new modes and will probably always keep them on.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Same here. The extreme disasters mode is a little much, I've never been able to play a game in that mode long enough to finish. Even if you can manage avoiding constant anhelation due to natural disasters, global warming kicks in long before mitigation is available. Maybe I'll try it with a map that has little coastlines.

My new computer allows me to play twice as fast as before, but my past victories in the HoF are not something apparently synced with Steam so I'm starting from scratch.

I don't care much for the random tech shuffle, so I leave that off. I like the barbarian clans mode, although that means barbarians are only a thing in the early game, after which they are exterminated or flip into new city-states. Instead, the zombies provide endless fodder for leveling up troops without ever being strong enough to disrupt normal play. It can be a bit of a challenge early game to conquer an island that is infested, though.

I like this game a lot and would love for it to be continually developed, but I'm pretty confident that a Civ 7 would bring a level of awesomeness I can't conceive.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I played another apocalypse mode game. This time I was determined to see it thru to the end. Besides comets hitting everywhere they would alternate solar flares every once in awhile. This destroys buildings and improvements and damages units. Eventually (50 turns?) all the bad things run out and you have less than 25% of the land left. Then normalcy kicks in.
I doubt I'll do it again but now I know.
I thought the season pass was worth it overall. I would probably get another as it keeps up my interest in the game. Without it I would have stopped playing it long ago.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:38 pmanhelation
I hear cardio can help with that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The balance patch is out. Lots of boosts to low level civs, they added three new units, a few map types, and AI changes. Includes a Huge Earth map.
Might be the last patch for civ VI. Don't know for sure yet.

Anyway, I've been waiting for this one. I deem it the ultimate patch. Going to be fun to dive back in later on today. Going to start with Spain, which got a few new boost changes.

https://civilization.com/news/entries/c ... lable-now/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Playing huge Earth now as Byzantium.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Torfish wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:19 pm The balance patch is out. Lots of boosts to low level civs, they added three new units, a few map types, and AI changes. Includes a Huge Earth map.

Anyway, I've been waiting for this one. I deem it the ultimate patch. Going to be fun to dive back in later on today. Going to start with Spain, which got a few new boost changes.

Does that mean a cheap Civ VI ultimate is on the horizon? I may need to buy back in then.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 am
Torfish wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:19 pm The balance patch is out. Lots of boosts to low level civs, they added three new units, a few map types, and AI changes. Includes a Huge Earth map.

Does that mean a cheap Civ VI ultimate is on the horizon? I may need to buy back in then.
I'm sure an "Ultimate" type package will be done. Just don't know yet if this is the last update.