Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

WYBaugh

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by WYBaugh »

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

wonderpug hooked me up on the main XC2 game...thank you sir!

Will check out the expansion as well.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 pm Stop enticing me.
Put it this way. In two days on Switch, I’ve already gotten further into the original Baldurs Gate than I did in three previous attempts (on PC and iPad), primarily due to the streamlined control scheme.
I couldn't agree with this more. I think maybe the biggest improvement is the ability to use the analog sticks in "drive mode" to move your party around. A huge time saver somehow over the old point and click, probably because it avoids all the old path finding problems these games were plagued by. I find it's especially advantageous when exploring outside sections of the world map.

I'm now almost finished with Chapter 3 and cruising. I hit an issue though:
Spoiler:
When I completed Minsc's quest to save Dynaheir from the gnoll stronghold, I didn't have space in my party to add her in. I really wanted to hold on to my wild mage, Neera, but Minsc leaves the party if you don't take Dynaheir. So I sent Neera packing back to the Friendly Arm Inn so I could hold on to good old Minsc (and Boo).

Sadly, Dynaheir was overcome by a horde of skeletons soon thereafter, thus freeing up a spot for Neera to rejoin. Tragic.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm heading to Orlando for a week next week and I'm going to steal one of my kids Switches. I'm really tempted to grab Baldur's Gate for it...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I ended up having to replace my Joycons today. The kids haven't exactly been gentle with them, so the left stick had a permanent slight drift to the left. It didn't make games entirely non-playable, just extremely annoying.

They still get to play with the drifting controllers, and the new colored ones are now only for dad. They're young...they can adjust.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should have gone Pro just to really rub in their second-class status.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Was reading an article this morning about Nintendo repairing drifting JoyCons.

Anyone tried going through that process? Did they replace/repair them?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Captain Caveman did. He said it took about 2 - 3 weeks.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I did as well. Fairly quick and easy process, and IIRC they paid for shipping both ways. One joy con came back needing recalibrating, but other than that things seem fixed.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

O.K. here is the silly question of the day: How long does it take to go through the initial set up of the switch? From unboxing to playing?

I have looked through set up guides but they never estimates time.

I am not a console person - had a Wii years ago for the wii fit, but never used it much because the wife and I got more exercise on our own than with the wii.

My wife has finally relented on letting us (my son and I) get a switch (personally, I think she will have some fun with mariokart) - but my son is also willing to put some of his own money towards the purchase.

The wife and I want to surprise him as a Santa gift (he is 8) with getting our "bonus room" all set with tv (there is not one there now) and rearrange furniture. This, obviously, needs to happen after he goes to bed. I just want to be prepared for how long I will need to go through the set up steps so it is a nice surprise for him on Christmas morning.

Also, can I just skip the online account options? - we are not planning on having the online account.

O.K. Thanks everyone.

Nonny
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not long. You'll want to at least connect it to wifi even if you don't set your son up with a Nintendo account, so the console can update itself. The console update only takes a couple of minutes.

So it's pretty much:
-unbox
-attach dock HDMI cable to TV, dock power to power
-place Switch in dock
-Sign into your wifi and let the Switch update
-Play

IIRC the Joy-Con setup was super-simple, might have even just been 'attach them to the unit and they auto-pair'.

I would recommend setting your own Nintendo account up, and signing up for Switch Online. That will back up all your save game data automatically in case the Switch ever dies, and gets you Tetris 99 and the NES/SNES games. Well worth the $20/year, IMO. And if you want your son's stuff backed up, the family plan isn't much more expensive. Totally optional, but worth it to me.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Thanks! It looked a lot more involved with selecting this-and-that and the orienting of joycons, like with a new gps device.

Well, the hard part will be not "testing" it too much before the kid gets to use it. :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I mean, at minimum you'll have to make sure that Breath of the Wild works. By testing every dungeon.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm I mean, at minimum you'll have to make sure that Breath of the Wild works. By testing every dungeon.
Beat me to it. I was going to say 100 hours minimum.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm such a sucker for the ports of these old D&D games on Switch.

Happy to report that other than a few clumsy UI issues, Neverwinter Nights works great. Just finished the prison level and am on to the Beggar's Nest. It's been years since I've played this, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Me, too. I haven't tried out NWN yet, but I finished BG1 and am planning to wrap up the Dragonspear expansion on my cross country flight to FL next week. I think I'm actually enjoying these old games more now than I did when I first played them. After BG2, I'm going to hit Icewind Dale.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm surprised to find myself enjoying NWN quite a bit more than the BG games. The simplicity of just managing a single character rather than an entire party and having a more concise story (I always got kinda lost in BG's sprawling quests) is really hitting the spot right now. Sure, it's kinda janky (always was), but I'm absolutely loving it.

Helps that the nostalgia factor for NWN is off the charts with me. It's one of the first games I ever played co-op, and it was our LAN party go-to every weekend for the better part of a year. Everyone lugging in their towers and huge CRT monitors, then spending as much time trying to configure the network as we did actually playing the game. :lol:

Ah, memories...
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm getting a switch for Christmas, Yay me!

So, any absolute must haves or games that are often overlooked but are definitely worth it?

I'm already eyeing the old-school D&D games and puzzle quest for sure.

I'll also be using it almost exclusively as a handheld. :D
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on if you like 2D Mario or 3D Mario.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

EzeKieL wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 pm I'm getting a switch for Christmas, Yay me!

So, any absolute must haves or games that are often overlooked but are definitely worth it?

I'm already eyeing the old-school D&D games and puzzle quest for sure.

I'll also be using it almost exclusively as a handheld. :D
Bayonetta if you are into action games.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

BotW, of course. Mario Kart if you don't already have it on WiiU.

Slay the Spire.

Diablo III. Torchlight 2.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wow, Nintendo just stealth-dropped The Talos Principle. This is IMO one of the most underrated games of the 2010s. Go forth and buy it immediately, especially if you missed out on the PC release.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Speaking from somebody who has only played the PC version: Do what he said. Get it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Speaking from somebody who has only played the PC version: Do what he said. Get it.
I concur with this sentiment.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think I ever heard of it, but it's on GamePass so I supposed I'll check it out there. I checked the thread and it didn't look remotely familiar. Huh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, that trailer is channeling 'Rains of Castamere.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I should say that you should avoid investigating the game at all beyond the trailer for the best experience, IMO. The less you know, the better.

Here's the soundtrack for further entertainment in the meantime... (Don't read the track names. :) )

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In other news, Gris and Celeste are both 50% off, as well as some other good deals.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Has anyone tried Ring Fit Adventure? Had a co-worker recommend it this week, and I’ll admit it looks like an interesting way to get both me and the kids off the couch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am Has anyone tried Ring Fit Adventure? Had a co-worker recommend it this week, and I’ll admit it looks like an interesting way to get both me and the kids off the couch.
I bought it for my daughter. It's cool for what it is, and way better (IMO) than Wii Fit was, but I'll admit that her interest hasn't been as high as I'd hoped.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ll admit that it’s probably more for me than for the kids. I need a nudge to start doing something, and this looks like it could help.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:I’ll admit that it’s probably more for me than for the kids. I need a nudge to start doing something, and this looks like it could help.
Very well could. It's a neat concept and the RPG elements are neat.
stessier

Post by stessier »

So Animal Crossing: New Horizons comes out in the next week. I have three ladies in the house, we're likely to be quarantined by then, and we only have the 1 original Switch console. This seems like a recipe for disaster.

Does anyone have any experience with the Switch Lite? Good option? We don't have 3 TVs, so they would mostly be playing handheld anyway.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FYI I’m 62% sure this Animal Crossing allows 4 players at once on a single Switch.
stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 pm FYI I’m 62% sure this Animal Crossing allows 4 players at once on a single Switch.
Thanks - I finally found a review that mentions this part of the game. It's...not great. IMO, it actually stinks.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A remake of Panzer Dragoon wasn't supposed to come out until later this year.
It's apparently dropping today.

That's a nice surprise.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There are no Switch consoles available anywhere. :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:There are no Switch consoles available anywhere. :(
I've got one!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:43 am
stessier wrote:There are no Switch consoles available anywhere. :(
I've got one!
I should clarify that there are no new consoles for sale at the standard price anywhere. ;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GameStop has a bunch of Turquoise Lights in Denver for store pickup.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 am GameStop has a bunch of Turquoise Lights in Denver for store pickup.
Thanks. Lites are actually pretty easy to get. The problem is Animal Crossing gets locked to the device and they all want the option to play on the big screen when it is available. Which means they are going to have to wait (likely) months for the systems to be restocked.