Metro Exodus ....2018 ...open world

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Metro Exodus ....2018 ...open world

Post by stimpy »

Ok. The cards I have laying around are less than what you have.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

This is the part of the Blue's blurb that jumped out at me:
This upgrade is so extensive, it will require a Ray Tracing capable GPU as the minimum spec, and will be delivered as a separate product – it is not a simple ‘patch’ to the base game – instead it will be offered as an extra entitlement to all existing Metro Exodus PC players.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

It looks pretty hardcore, apparently they recommend an 8-core CPU. Which also means my almost brand new Ryzen 5600X is already below recommended specs. What??
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm Its the 2 gig memory on it thats ruining games. Just cant fit the textures on it. So cant turn on effects in the new stuff...the very newest it just wont play at all now.

Was a beast in its time though. But the video card and cpu are killing me.

I had a 1920x1200 monitor before this one myself. Kinda miss those extra 2" at the vertical. But love the width.
How quickly you use up the 2 gigs of RAM depends on a few different things - including the resolution. You're drawing a picture that is 1/3 bigger than the same size (height) 1920x1080, and you're going to be be seeing between 10%-30% reduction in performance (frame rate) depending on the rest of your hardware. And given that you have slower hardware, you're going to be closer to the 30% than the 10%. There are probably games out there that you can't run on your ultrawide monitor that you could on a regular one.

tl;dr - your resolution is as much to blame as your video card.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To back that up, here are a series of benchmarks using a 970 (better than your card) with everything the same except for the monitor. He specifically tests a standard 1920x1080 against a 2560x1080 ultrawide. With the 970, he reports an average 19% loss of performance, and that's on a better system. It's the two bottom numbers that apply:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stimpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm Ok. The cards I have laying around are less than what you have.
Oh. Well thank you for checking. Appreciate the thought.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

This was a game I have sat on awhile. I love that not only did they go full RTX but they implemented DLSS 2.1. I just picked up an OLED tv with VRR/G-Sync so can't wait to put it through the paces with this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm He specifically tests a standard 1920x1080 against a 2560x1080 ultrawide. With the 970, he reports an average 19% loss of performance, and that's on a better system.
Rendering 33% more pixels has a cost. I am kind of surprised the difference isn't closer to 33%. Other limiting factors I assume.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I got around to trying the Enhanced Edition today and it really does look amazing, although I never played the release version so it's hard to make a comparison between them, but the ice textures look especially incredible. It runs pretty well in 4K on a 3070 too, which is rather fortunate because there doesn't seem to be any resolution scaling as far as I was able to find.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:05 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 pm So nobody jumped in on this?
I am all over it.. as soon as it shows up on steam.
I got xbox game pass ultimate which has this for windows 10. I played about 2 hours and have no interest in continuing. I had basically the same reaction to the first game, except I quit much faster (Metro 2033 - 0.2 hrs on record), so this shouldn't come as a surprise. I guess I saved myself some money. Too much of what they want you to do just seemed opaque to me. The gun play, gun parts, and stealth were all good and I think I could get used to whatever it was that bothered me, but I just don't see a reason to continue.
I gave it another go since humble choice gave me a copy. I managed to finish it this time, but I can't say I was super excited about it the whole time. Stealth gameplay was ok. Gunplay was ok. "Crafting" ie weapon modifications was ok. Story was ok. Yeah, everything ok but nothing was better than ok.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing this for a second time. Forgot just how much suck was involved in keeping any amount of ammo along with health kits and breather cartridges. Its survival instead of run and gun. Not really super loving that part now. I want plenty of ammo and health and oxygen then let me play as I want..sneak or choas.

Also its hitting me as a VERY strange and dirty game even compared to the Stalker series. I dearly love the Stalker games and gameplay and I love the Metro games. But this one is a step beyond in its weird feeling clutter and maps.

I can almost swear those mutated human like monsters know when Im about to pull the trigger when aiming at their heads and they duck every damn time. Becomes annoying when it wastes my ammo and I get hit once and have to use a medkit for one hit.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Metro games have never been about mayhem. They have always been about making every bullet count. Though since you have played them all, I'm sure you know that. You just need to get back in the mindset.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell, in the older games the decent quality bullets were literally your money. You had to choose between using the good ammo and being able to spend.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:07 pm Hell, in the older games the decent quality bullets were literally your money. You had to choose between using the good ammo and being able to spend.
Yeah. Funny thing... I don't think I ever used those bullets except as currency. But I always wondered if they would have made some of the fights easier (looking at you, f'in Librarians!).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same . Always sold them and did fine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im replaying this and I just left the Volga area...the first big main area. But after doing the bridge area I lost Duke there. It felt off somehow so I looked it up and sure enough he doesn't have to die. It says online that if you dont kill anyone at the church, the barge, and the bridge then Duke lives. But something went wrong somewhere as this time Ive been playing as stealthy as I can. I know for a fact I snuck and simply knocked out everyone at all three of those locations. I made the extra effort. I even reloaded a couple times because I messed up and someone died.. I didn't know it had anything to do with keeping Duke alive I just wanted to play that way. So yet at the bridge Duke died. Now they're all sad on the train. I dont get it. And I AM NOT replaying that entire area. Thats like the entire game up until this point. I was there like 5 or 6 days doing it all. Frack.