Assassin's Creed Origins

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Assassin's Creed Origins

Post by Victoria Raverna »

E3 2017 Gameplay Trailer

Ancient Egypt? Does that mean no Knight Templar?
coopasonic

Re: Assassin's Creed Origins

Post by coopasonic »

I believe the "Origins" part is the origin of the assassins. They were formed to fight back so there must be some precursor to the Templars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'd watch the videos and read the articles but it's an Assassin's Creed game so I know I'm going to get it anyway :roll:. However, ancient Egypt? Really? I was so, so hoping it was going to be New York City in the very early 1900s. Horses, early cars, early airplanes :shock:, Teddy Roosevelt, anarchists, JP Morgan, Tesla, Ida Tarbell, robber barons, subways, elevated trains, streetcars, early skyscrapers... damn, it would have been awesome.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still playing Syndicate. its pretty dang fun. I wish i could make it run smoother and control better.

Nothing has come close to the fun of Black Flag though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

Before we presuming, i've heard it seems the game takes the timeline of Cleopatra reign. When I read on Wiki, it said that during this time, the Roman Empire already existed and it seems the AC Origins are trying to exploit this timeline. And if my prediction is true, maybe we will see Julias Caesar as the origin of the templar?
KDH

Post by KDH »

Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats kinda funny seeing as theres nothing in that worth $100 together to me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
fridols

Post by fridols »

Spam
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KDH

Post by KDH »

You guys (and gals) better hurry .. only 10 available

Enlarge Image

:tjg: ... Only 10 of these Assassin's Creed Origins headphones exist and you'll know why once you see the price
Spoiler:
In case you want to give Ubisoft thousands of dollars without becoming a minority shareholder in the company, allow me to present the Assassin's Creed Origins Utopia headphones. Based on the Assassin's Creed Origins Listen Wireless headphones by audio company Focal, the Utopia edition features intricate 18-carat gold designs inspired by ancient Egyptian iconography, and it costs a cool €50,000 / £44,000 / $59,000.

For some perspective, you could either buy a Porsche Boxster with options:
Enlarge Image

Or 59,000 Taco Bell cheesy bean and rice burritos:
Enlarge Image

Or one of these headsets:
Enlarge Image

Only 10 of the Utopia headphones were made and they're all for sale by French jeweler Tournaire at its boutique in Paris. Oh, and they're all displayed on special bronze busts of Origins protagonist Bayek, as seen above, one of which you can purchase for an additional €12,000 / £11,000 / $14,000. I mean, you're not really going to set an 18-carat pair of headphones down on your coffee table, are you? At least prop them up with a few of those gold bullions and massive hunks of uncut, precious gems you have lying around.

The good news is that the Utopia phones do make the standard Origins Listen Wireless headphones seem more affordable by comparison. They're a relatively humble £249 / $333 and a relatively generous 2,222 of them are being manufactured. The Bluetooth headphones include a built-in microphone and offer up to 20 hours of listening time, and you can pick them up exclusively on the Ubisoft store.

Enlarge Image

Headphones aren't something I'm comfortable buying sight-unseen sound-unheard
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article over on PCGamesN, Assassin's Creed Origins has its sights set on The Witcher's RPG crown
After playing nine Assassin’s Creed games, I felt confident that I knew what Ubisoft’s series of hooded stab-a-thons are all about. They are games about leaping stealth attacks, collecting icons, and climbing really tall buildings. But after playing four hours of Assassin’s Creed Origins, I find myself surprised to discover that I apparently did not know what the sacred building blocks of this series actually are. When Ubisoft Montreal promised to reinvent the series with Origins I was not expecting them to build The Witcher: Egypt Adventure. Yet here we are...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And for a bit of fun, there's an update from the Ubiblog, Assassin’s Creed Origins – Tales from the Tomb Blends Comedy and Gameplay. Great little four minute video which mixes humor with some video clips.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the Ubisoft blog has released the PC specs:
MINIMUM CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 6GB
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Lowest

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High
And this was interesting too:
In anticipation of the release of Assassin’s Creed Origins on October 27, the development team has released the official PC specs and system requirements (listed below). In order to learn more about the new features and development process for the PC version, we spoke to Jose Araiza, the producer responsible for coordinating with Assassin’s Creed Origins development teams around the globe.

“The PC platform overall is really important to us,” Araiza said, “that is why the PC version was developed in parallel with all the other versions by the main team in Montreal, in collaboration with our PC-dedicated team in Ubisoft Kiev. This approach was adopted while the game features were being designed, making PC and mouse-and-keyboard controls a full part of the equation from the get-go.”

This approach resulted in performance gains across the hardware spectrum. Players wondering if their machines will be able run Assassin’s Creed Origins well should know that while “using all the modern techniques,” Araiza says the team “worked very hard and were able to keep the minimum requirements to what they were on Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [two years ago]. This means that the range of supported machines is wider than ever.”

Those running on the minimum recommended hardware, Araiza says, will be able to run the game at 720p at 30 frames per second (FPS) using the game’s auto-detect presets. Meanwhile, players with more powerful PCs will, depending on their hardware, “have the possibility of running 4K at 30 FPS or higher, or running standard resolutions such as 1080p or 1200p at higher than 30 FPS.”

Additionally, Assassin’s Creed Origins uses a technique called dynamic resolution rendering on PC and other platforms. As Araiza explains, “dynamic resolution rendering is a technique we use to keep the framerate as close as possible to our targeted FPS at all times by adjusting the frame resolution on the fly, which in most cases will be invisible to the player. On PC, players can actually choose what baseline framerate they want to target: 30, 45, or 60 FPS. They can also select their maximum framerate between 30, 45, 60, or 90 FPS, or decide to completely uncap it.”

Customization plays a big role in ensuring PC players get the most out of their games, and Assassin’s Creed Origins will have standard industry customization options, as well as features new to Assassin’s Creed on PC, like built-in benchmarking and in-game performance analysis.

“The built-in Performance Benchmark will help players validate their tweaked settings, while the in-game Performance Analysis will allow them to profile how their hardware is performing using constant monitoring and tracking of their performance by our engine,” says Araiza. Furthermore, an in-game resolution multiplier will give players flexibility to tell the engine to render the game at higher or lower resolutions as they see fit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New article on the UbiBlog, Assassin’s Creed Origins – Season Pass DLC and Free Content Detailed. The usual post launch paid DLC packs, but also some free stuff, including a daily opportunity for special quests.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also some other new info from GamesRadar, Why does Assassin's Creed Origins have a difficulty setting? Watch this interview with director Ashraf Ismail. The video wouldn't play for me, but from the article:
Assassin's Creed Origins has a difficulty setting. That might not sound like much by itself, but it represents a shift in the way Ubisoft is approaching the series, and combined with all the other changes Origins makes to the AC formula, it adds up to something that feels fresh.

But don't take our word for it - watch this interview with game director Ashraf Ismail about how difficulty impacts all sorts of decisions both from a player and developer perspective from Assassin's Central.

"We wanted more gameplay depth, and that means more challenging aspects of the game - bosses, and so on," Ismail said. "What we felt was, by going deeper into the gameplay challenge of the game, we're feeding one part of the audience but not others. So it was a natural step for us to think well, let's give difficulty settings so that if you're really more into the narrative or the historical element, you can set the game to an easier setting. ... If you're the opposite, if you really want that very difficult challenge, you can set the game to a harder setting."

Ismail also said you'll be able to switch dynamically, so you're not locked into whatever difficulty you choose at the start. Enjoying the game on normal difficulty but having trouble with a particular boss? Kick the challenge down a notch and then back up once you've beaten it.
This sounds very good to me :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those preparing for the release of this game on PC, there are New GeForce Drivers available.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Green Man Gaming has sent out keys for the game and the pre-order bonus, and pre-loading on the PC is now available, 37.4 GB.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'd normally be all over a new AC game but I have the new Mordor game and Destiny 2. So I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Posted over on Steam, Assassin’s Creed Origins Launch Essentials
It is almost time to explore Ancient Egypt! On October 27th, Assassin’s Creed Origins will be released on Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4.

We are so excited for you to discover all the mysteries and challenges that lay waiting in Cleopatra’s Egypt, but before the journey starts, we would like to share some useful information regarding:

• Preload and Playable Times
• Day One Update
• Downloadable Audio Language Packs

Preload and Playable Times

Preload:
PS4 - SIEA [Americas] Oct 25th @ 0400 UTC | SIEE [Europe] Oct 25th @ 0000 Local*
| SIEJ [Japan] Oct 25th @ 1700 UTC
X1 - Available now
PC Uplay - Oct 24th @ 1600 UTC
PC Steam - Oct 24th @ 1600 UTC

Playable:
PS4 - SIEA [Americas] Oct 27th @ 0400 UTC | SIEE [Europe] Oct 27th @ 0000 Local* | SIEJ [Japan] Oct 27th @ 1700 UTC
X1 - Oct 27th @ 0000 Local*
PC Uplay - Oct 27th @ 0000 Local*
PC Steam - Oct 27th @ 0400 UTC

*0000 Local means a release at 12 AM in your time zone.

Day One Update

Update Size:
• Xbox consoles: 1.4 GB
• PlayStation consoles: 1.3 GB
• PC: 1.2 GB

The Day One Update will focus on the following:
• Fine-tuning the balancing of the game.
• Improving performance and stability.
• Reworking Photo Mode controls for better player comfort.

To ensure the best game experience, we encourage you to download and install the Day One Patch. You will find below some tips to verify that everything is ready before you play

• If you purchased a digital version of the game, the Day One update will be automatically downloaded and installed along with the main game.
• If you purchased a disc copy of the game for Xbox or PlayStation, you might have to check if the game is up-to-date (1.02 version), and if it’s not the case to accept the download and installation of the Day One Update.
• If you purchased a disc copy of the game for PC, the Day One Update will be downloaded and installed along with the game executable.

IMPORTANT: There will be another Title Update available in early November, which will most notably include 4K and Dolby Atmos support for Xbox One X and support of HDR displays for all platforms.
So here on the USA East Coast it's a wash between Steam and Uplay PC, while you lucky folks in the Western USA on Steam will unlock earlier in the evening.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First of all, thread over on Steam posted by the developers, Assassin's Creed Origins - Known Issues. It covers all platforms and has platform specific as well as general issues.

I've played about twenty minutes so far. I ran the benchmark and on my rig (Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive), the game defaulted to Medium graphics. I'm seeing about 40+ fps and it's quite playable. Sadly, I'm finding that I finally have to wear my reading glasses to play a game, there's so much detail I find my eyes are straining without them :/.

So far the only glitch has been when I was riding behind someone else on camels and their dialog dropped out a couple of times. They really do throw you in at the deep end so I'm scrambling a bit to understand what all those menu screens mean. And I'm also glad there is a difficulty setting, I've a feeling I'm going to need it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, shutting down for the night. I've played for 2h22m of the game and reached 5% progression. I really like the Egyptian open world, it is very unlike Paris or London in the gameplay. I did struggle with the two quests inside the Temple of Siwa, but mostly it was just learning the ropes. I did switch to Easy difficulty as I'm useless at melee combat. And I spent the last twenty minutes or so out hunting animals, shades of Far Cry!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played for a couple hours last night as well. I got to level 7 and haven't left the initial area yet. It is an interesting change from prior games in a few different ways, but I am too tired to talk about it (oops).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Performance is not good with my GTX 960. I wonder if it'll run much better with GTX 1060 6GB. Maybe it is time to upgrade to GTX 1060.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am Performance is not good with my GTX 960. I wonder if it'll run much better with GTX 1060 6GB. Maybe it is time to upgrade to GTX 1060.
I have a 970 and it runs fine. The rest of my system is better than the video card.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am Performance is not good with my GTX 960. I wonder if it'll run much better with GTX 1060 6GB. Maybe it is time to upgrade to GTX 1060.
I have a 970 and it runs fine. The rest of my system is better than the video card.
Probably my processor is also a problem but there is nothing that I can do about that in near future.

Upgrade to GTX 1060 is easy but to replace the whole PC for a single game is probably not worth the trouble.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Things will only get beefier. Think of it as the first game that you upgrade for.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And now I'm shutting down from Friday night/early Saturday morning playing. I now have 6H 44M in the game, 11% progression with my character just over level 10. I spent my first six hours in Siwa and had a great time. I'm really enjoying the game, a combination of the best of the recent Assassin's Creed gameplay with the appeal of an open world like the latest Far Cry games.

So far the only really annoying bug is a dropping out of the sound during some dialog segments. I turned on subtitles so it didn't keep me from playing the game, but it is annoying. Otherwise the game is pretty much bug and glitch free on my GTX 780 3GB, running 40-50fps at 1920x1200 in Medium graphics. And Medium is just fine, I really don't notice anything wrong with what I'm seeing.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
... Team Coco

:ninja: ... Clueless Gamer: “Assassin’s Creed Origins” With Aaron Rodgers ..

it's more Conan than Creed ... but you will learn GOD-MODE
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The game is really stunningly beautiful on high, and it's running like butter with a 1080. I'm only a few hours in but I'm enjoying it so far.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have to mention that I ordered this book a few days ago via one of the swap sites I use. Seemed most appropriate to get seeing as I was about to start playing Origins:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've played ten hours now, 12% progression and player level 12. Still having a lot of fun with the game, and I'm going to say that I think it's the best AC game yet... so far ;)

A couple of the features I like are the blue caravan trader (don't remember the name) and the assassin avenging missions. At the blue trader (the symbol is a blue camel) you are able to sell off items and you can buy some hard to find crystals or a mystery chest containing (supposedly) a legendary or otherwise high level weapon or shield. However, it is expensive and so far I've held off. And also there, each real world day you can get a special quest that if completed successful gets you some nifty item.

The Assassin Avenging missions are cool. On your map you'll see a blue diamond with a skull inside. When you get there you find a dead guy who represents another player who died in his or her game. By accepting the mission you can avenge that player by finding and killing the bad guys who did it. It adds a nice random touch to the quests.

I will say that the game has a bit of a Borderlands feel to it regarding weapons and shields. Using your birdie friend Senu you find hidden chests and these contain weapons or shields of varying rarity and qualify. It is a neat mechanism to encourage the player to search the map and unlike some of the other AC games it makes the collectables worth getting for some other reason than just ticking off a box.

As I said, I'm at ten hours and 12% progression, which means that so far today I've played over three hours yet progressed just one percent. I'm just having so much fun finding resources to upgrade my quiver, health and things like that, plus just raising general hell, that I'm not in any hurry to move the main story along. I'll get there eventually.
Victoria Raverna

I played until I killed the main target in Siwa then restarted because I picked mostly bow abilities but I found out I'm not good with bows.

After my complain about low fps, I decided to continue playing with my 960 because there was a screw up with my order of a 1060 6Gb. With geforce experience setting which set the resolution about 1 step lower than my display's native resolution, average fps from the in-game benchmark is about 30. It is playable and I didn't notice the low fps during gameplay.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 pm After my complain about low fps, I decided to continue playing with my 960 because there was a screw up with my order of a 1060 6Gb. With geforce experience setting which set the resolution about 1 step lower than my display's native resolution, average fps from the in-game benchmark is about 30. It is playable and I didn't notice the low fps during gameplay.
What graphics level are you using in the game? Supposedly, according to the specs, with my GTX 780 3GB I should be running at High, but the benchmark defaulted me to Medium and I've been happy with that. I'm normally getting 40-50 fps at 1920x1200, default graphic settings for Medium except I enabled Vsync to avoid going over 60 fps in places where there's not a lot for the game to draw to the screen (caves, etc).
Victoria Raverna

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 pm After my complain about low fps, I decided to continue playing with my 960 because there was a screw up with my order of a 1060 6Gb. With geforce experience setting which set the resolution about 1 step lower than my display's native resolution, average fps from the in-game benchmark is about 30. It is playable and I didn't notice the low fps during gameplay.
What graphics level are you using in the game? Supposedly, according to the specs, with my GTX 780 3GB I should be running at High, but the benchmark defaulted me to Medium and I've been happy with that. I'm normally getting 40-50 fps at 1920x1200, default graphic settings for Medium except I enabled Vsync to avoid going over 60 fps in places where there's not a lot for the game to draw to the screen (caves, etc).
The default for my PC was very low. :(

Changing to the higher quality while staying under the VRAM limit (my 960 only has 2 GB), I think I can use medium. I tried from that down to very low, the fps doesn't vary that much so I think maybe the limit is my processor which is i5 2500K which was one of the first i5 with 4 cores (Sandy Bridge) but very old now.

I'm now using geforce experience setting which is custom and instead of the native 1600x1200 of my display, it is using one resolution lower than that.
Victoria Raverna

Received the GTX 1060 6 GB. Doesn't seem to help with the fps but it allow me to play at higher quality. The default for GTX 1060 6 GB is very high but changing it to ultra or lower it doesn't seem to change the fps much. Very low 39 fps average, Ultra High 29 fps average.

So that confirmed my CPU is the bottleneck.

Not going to upgrade my whole PC just because of one game, so i'll just play it with average of 30 fps and hope Ubisoft can optimize it so that it can run better on lower end CPU.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Putting it in jzt terms, 14 hours played, 31% completion, level 22.

A preview I saw some time ago called the game The Witcher: Egypt Adventure. I laughed at that, but having played a significant portion of the game, I get it. It really is rather reminiscent of The Witcher 3 on many fronts. The combat has gotten a serious upgrade from previous games. For regular enemies it is trivial, but there are some tough foes out there. The number of questions marks on the map to check out is similar and for the most part they all have some purpose. There are countless quests that are all at least a little bit interesting. You can go anywhere you want, but you might just pay the price for your bravery. There's not a whole lot of story, but I like what there is. Who doesn't love a revenge story?

Back to the game!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I never did play The Witcher so I can't compare ACO to it. I will note that I seem to be able to find more to do (when not playing the main missions) than in, say, GTA5, or Far Cry 4.

It's early Monday and I'm shutting down for the night. 17H played and 16% progression, player level 18. Still having a lot of fun, but the gathering of resources for crafting is starting to get a bit old. There is an ability to be able to buy those supplies at vendors so I might just do that. It's not that the hunting for pelts is boring, it's more that I have to keep finding areas where there are lions to hunt.

I've found four scrolls so far and solved two of the puzzles. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the other two, as it really requires a lot of searching around based on some vague description. However, it's not mandatory for game progress or the story, so I guess I'll just got back to them when I've got more patience.

I'm really liking the design of the game. There is so much to do with the default quests and some of them don't even require killing. I had to escort this rich guy's daughter all around and that was a nice break. And there are "pop-up" missions, like avenging dead assassins (other players), the daily blue caravan quest, killing rogue animals that are attacking the peasants and even helping some rebels fight off soldiers.

The open world design is just outstanding. If you are the kind of person (like me) that likes to go around checking out all the little details of the environment there are just bunches of places to look. I will agree with what some reviewers said, that there isn't as much variety as you would find in some other open world games, but considering the date and the locale I think it's quite extensive.

I'm playing on Easy as I've always been at a loss when it comes to melee fighting with combos and that kind of stuff. The fighting does seem to be more interesting than previous titles because you have weapons with different reaches. However, I am really loving the ranged combat with bows and darts as this fits into my preferred stealth game play.

And still no crashes and the only real bug is the dropping out of dialog at times, which I'm working around using subtitles.
Victoria Raverna

For those with audio issue, maybe you can try to disable all enhancement like surround sound, etc. This game set the priority to the main process to high and can reach 100% CPU usage, that probably doesn't allow background processes to run normally like for example the audio processing of the audio driver or software 3d surround.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:34 am For those with audio issue, maybe you can try to disable all enhancement like surround sound, etc. This game set the priority to the main process to high and can reach 100% CPU usage, that probably doesn't allow background processes to run normally like for example the audio processing of the audio driver or software 3d surround.
Thanks for this :wub:. I disabled all the various sound thingees in the Hardware Sound Device manager (except for the speakers) and this seemed to help.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 am Received the GTX 1060 6 GB. Doesn't seem to help with the fps but it allow me to play at higher quality. The default for GTX 1060 6 GB is very high but changing it to ultra or lower it doesn't seem to change the fps much. Very low 39 fps average, Ultra High 29 fps average.

Not going to upgrade my whole PC just because of one game, so i'll just play it with average of 30 fps and hope Ubisoft can optimize it so that it can run better on lower end CPU.
Victoria, might I recommend CPUCores? It is a program on Steam that optimizes your CPU use. I absolutely saw a difference with tw: Warhammer, which is very cpu-dependant. It's on sale for like $7.50 right now and you can always refund it if you don't see a difference.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Victoria Raverna

Freyland wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 am Received the GTX 1060 6 GB. Doesn't seem to help with the fps but it allow me to play at higher quality. The default for GTX 1060 6 GB is very high but changing it to ultra or lower it doesn't seem to change the fps much. Very low 39 fps average, Ultra High 29 fps average.

Victoria, might I recommend CPUCores? It is a program on Steam that optimizes your CPU use. I absolutely saw a difference with tw: Warhammer, which is very cpu-dependant. It's on sale for like $7.50 right now and you can always refund it if you don't see a difference.
I don't think that'll help. Maybe increase fps a little bit but it is not going to make the game having lower than 100% CPU load which is what caused unstable fps and stuttering.