Sea of Thieves....mp pirates

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Sea of Thieves....mp pirates

Post by Daehawk »

Is there no thread on this? Thought I saw it. Maybe it was in another thread?

https://www.seaofthieves.com/

Anyways a multiplayer cartoony pirates sim.
Sea of Thieves is all about being a pirate with a crew. Scavenge for treasure, loot islands, take to the open sea, and battle against other crews that are unfortunate enough to come across your pathway.

User-generated content is a big feature for Sea of Thieves as well. Players will be able to craft their own custom stories using the various in-game tools. From there, these campaigns can be uploaded online for other players to download and enjoy on their own.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Re: Sea of Thieves....mp pirates

Post by Octavious »

I'm excited to play this with my daughter. Which will make it more expensive as I need two copies but whatever.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish I was playing it now. I need a good mmo style game...this and Skull & Bones and even Monster Hunter World all look good to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Edited the post to add a link to the homepage.

On their webpage it seems to say to get into the beta you have to pre order but it only shows the Xbox One version not the PC. So wheres the PC one? And it keeps saying Win10 pc. Im guessing it will still work on a Win 7 pc?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm So is this game any good?

This review makes me very, very interested, even though I don't have VR.
Most people I've talked with who have played it enjoyed it for a while, as there are a lot of cool and charming elements to the game, but the lack of any real content meant they didn't stick with it long.

As I understand it though they finally added NPC ships recently, so maybe they are finally getting some real content in there.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I stayed away from this until now based on the mediocre initial reviews and it only being on the MS store, but I've been watching a few streams of people playing it lately, and commenting on how much improved it is over the release version. I'm also a sucker for age of sail stuff, even if the most of the multiplayer aspects are uninteresting to me, so I finally picked up the new anniversary edition.

Anyone still play this around here? So far I've just been exploring in a sloop by myself and having a pretty fun time, but not sure how much of the game is actually viable when playing solo.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I determined in the early days that I didn’t have the chops to play SoT. I was shit at gunner as well as pilot. My brain couldn’t handle aiming the cannon while the ship was moving and the sea was rolling and the direction of my shooting platform was being controlled by someone else. It’s a shame, because I loved the concept.

My son, however is loving the game again with the new updates. But he has a crew of friends that he plays with.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Sepiche wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am Anyone still play this around here? So far I've just been exploring in a sloop by myself and having a pretty fun time, but not sure how much of the game is actually viable when playing solo.
I remember being stoked to try this out, and just haven't gotten around to it yet. Your taste in games typically lines up well with mine according to Steam, so I think I'll pick it up. Perhaps we can try out the multiplayer some time...
-something witty-
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have it and played once at launch for a few minutes :). Id totally be willing to dive in again if we can get a crew but little to no interest in trying it solo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

morlac wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am I have it and played once at launch for a few minutes :). Id totally be willing to dive in again if we can get a crew but little to no interest in trying it solo.
If you're diving, it's probably a bug.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been tooling around solo the last few nights without too many problems. Only even encountered other players close up once, but I didn't even have anything on me for them to steal at the time.

I find the game conversely relaxing, in that I'm just sailing around a gorgeous ocean doing missions and turning them in, and stressful in that I always have to keep an eye open for other pirates, even if I rarely see them.

If you guys feel like meeting up some time and trying it out as a crew, I think even 3 of us could probably manage to keep a brig sailing. Be nice not to try to have to do 10 things at once like I do solo. :P
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Been running around with this the last week as I've been able, and still having a lot of fun. I've run into more players now, but still fairly uncommon. I even convinced my wife to give it a go, and she ran with me on a couple of voyages this weekend and seems to like the game more than I expected.

My most notable achievements were killing a Kraken by myself (although I didn't get into the water in time to get any treasure), and last night as I was getting ready hop off for the night, I got the upper hand on two guys that were trying to rob me.

I put into port with a small chest of gold and turned it in, but I noticed a sloop a little ways off that was slowly sailing near the island I was on. As I got back on my ship and was about to log off they started approaching, so I rotated my sloop to give me a line of fire, but waved to show I wasn't interested in a fight. They opened fire on me anyway and I returned it. They put a number of poorly aimed rounds through my ship, but mostly above the waterline, so no real threat. I managed to put a lot of shots into their ship on the waterline and take down their mast, but then they hit me with a cursed cannon ball that disabled my guns and started bombarding me again.

That finally caused more damage than I could fix, and my sloop started going under, so I jumped in the water and swam lower just as I saw one of the pirates swim up to my ship looking for treasure. I snuck up behind him and killed him in the water before he knew I was there, and then I swam over to their ship and climbed up the ladder. The other guy was on the quarterdeck and put a shotgun blast into me, but I slashed him a couple times with my cutlass and then ran below decks hoping they might have a gunpowder barrel I could blow up to sink them. They had some treasure chests in their hold, but no gunpowder, so I turned to at least go out fighting the remaining pirate, but to my surprise I managed to kill him with a couple of quick strikes as he raced downstairs.

So, not sure what else to do, I grabbed one of the chests on their ship, jumped overboard, and swam underwater back to the island where I turned in the chest for a nice reward and logged off for the night. :D

I may be a peaceful pirate that won't shoot first... but DON'T FUCK WITH ME. :horse:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just finally managed to complete the first leg of the new Tall Tales quest. It was a lot of fun, even if it was a little stressful to pull off solo.

It's a series of voyages where you have to get the shroud breaker artifact to allow you to sail into the devil's shroud. You first get a book that gives you clues to the location of the wreck of a ship whose logs you need to recover. That leads you to a sunken chest with an ancient totem, and clues to find a shrine on an island.

I finally followed all the steps on the shrine island and got the shroud breaker, fought off endless swarms of skeletons to get back to my ship and set sail to the nearest outpost, but halfway to my destination, I got attacked by a kraken and giant shark at the same time. :|

Thankfully I managed to scare the shark off and fended off the kraken before any other ships noticed and was able to turn in the shroud breaker.

I also passed some dude in a sloop parked at an outpost as I was heading to get the totem. I could have sailed up and wrecked his ship while he was away, but I left him be only to find him barreling up on me as I got back to my ship with the totem. I didn't have any treasure on board, but sadly he didn't know that and so he proceeded to chase me around the sea for a while. Thankfully in a chase where both crews have the same ships, it's pretty hard to catch someone who wants to get away, so I just kept a close watch on my sails to make sure I was always getting the most wind and then finally lost him in a storm. It was tense for a bit, but no real harm done, and it made me feel pretty good about my sailing skills.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Figured I'd give this a nudge now that it's released on Steam.

I've been playing this mostly solo off and on the last year and really enjoying it. Sometime last year I actually got my wife hooked on it, so occasionally we would head out on a sloop for some fun coop adventuring.

Once this showed up on Steam I pitched it to my usual gaming crew, and surprisingly (at least to me) they and their kids have all fallen in love with it, so I've been able to start sailing around in a galleon with a full crew occasionally now. It's a surprisingly different experience to play with a crew in a large ship as opposed to solo. Much less being paranoid and looking over your shoulder constantly, and more just sailing where you want and having fun.

They've also been patching the game at a good pace, releasing fairly major patches each month. The last one in particular added some really fun new missions in the form of spectral ghost ships you can fight. The skeleton ships previously in the game were much more like standard player ships where combat was about putting holes in their ship and boarding them to distract them from repairing, whereas the new spectral ships really highlight gunnery and maneuvering as they can't be boarded and simply take a few direct hits to sink.

If anyone around here ever needs a crew, I'm Sepiche01 on the XBox app. Feel free to message me if you see me playing and if we have room we can try to get you added in with us.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Time for some necromancy...both of this thread and of pirates in general.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln