The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jolor

Re: The Outer Worlds [Obsidian]

Post by Jolor »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 pm
infinitelurker wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Jolor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:43 am It looks like, from what I could find, that the DLC takes place before the main mission closure, instead of occurring after the main story wraps?
I saw that too, and I also read that if you don’t have a save earlier than the “point of no return” in the original game, you have to start over!? I don’t know what saves I have but that could be a major bummer for me. Maybe they’ll figure out a way to patch it and support using an end-game save? Word of warning, I only saw a small blip about this in a reddit thread, and haven’t had a chance to independently verify it yet.
I just read this on Kotaku. I’m not sure if it generated a save file before the end game but I think I’m happy waiting until they patch this out. Well, I hope they do anyway because as much as I liked playing I don’t feel like playing the whole Tartarus level over again after finishing the DLC.
I self-inflicted this scenario with Pillars of Eternity 2. Blew away my save games before the final encounter, bought the DLC, then figured out that I couldn't leave the island to trigger the DLC. Not patched out and no plans to do so. Thought I'd start a new game but it was too much content to replay.

In this case, I have the save games before 'no turning back' to continue the story; just not sure I want to "win" and then "win again".

Control DLC was great in this regard in that the DLC could kick in after the game was won.

Really liked the game and this would be an auto-purchase if I could play the extra content as a continuation. As it is ... maybe?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I have just been messing around with this and I really like it. Usually I play a straight forward “good guy” but the corporate buzz words and propaganda has got me, while still playing a “good guy”, mouthing off with every smart ass answer I can find, especially to corporate stooges. And the responses so far are pretty funny.

The only thing - and this has become my new pet peeve for which I contributing to - is I want to play the entire game, including Xpacks all at once. So have to wait until the next one is out next year to really give this a go. The same goes with Wasteland 3. I’ve played the first rescue and Colorado Springs missions and I really love that game. But they’ve since announced there will be xpacks for Wasteland 3, and again, I want the whole experience at one. So i will have to wait for that one. Seems like i really can’t play a game until 6 months to a year after it is released due to the xpacks (which of course I promote by buying them!)

Anyway, so far this has my thumbs up just based upon a few hours play through.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Played through the first location and still loving the game, it just really comes together for me. Getting a real Firefly Kaylee vibe with Parvati who is just so endearing. Even have a preacher but so far he's nothing like Booker on Firefly.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Final DLC will be out by the end of March:

https://www.gamesradar.com/outer-worlds ... ease-date/
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

With the new DLC coming out this week, I've finally started my play through and I'm really enjoying it. Humor is hard to consistently pull off, but I am really enjoying the writing and the whole corporate craziness thing - reminds me a lot of the cynical view of business taken by the Fallout games, but multiplied by 10. Off the first introductory world and moving on - interested to see what the rest of the solar system holds for me.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished the main story on this over the weekend. While I enjoyed it, I found it to be very repetitive. The game is meant to be humorous but for some reason most of the humor missed the mark with me. By the time I got to Byzantine I stopped doing all the side missions and just sprinted to the end of the main storyline. Upon completion I had one companion that I didn't recruit and 2 of my companion side quests left unfinished and I am ok with that.

I also stopped caring about the loot about halfway through, I found 3 guns that I really liked and just kept leveling them up to keep them relevant. I think I hit level 29 at the end.

If I had to score this I would give it a 70% (Which isn't bad, but I wouldn't include it on any game of the year lists).
FTE
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:58 am I finished the main story on this over the weekend. While I enjoyed it, I found it to be very repetitive. The game is meant to be humorous but for some reason most of the humor missed the mark with me. By the time I got to Byzantine I stopped doing all the side missions and just sprinted to the end of the main storyline. Upon completion I had one companion that I didn't recruit and 2 of my companion side quests left unfinished and I am ok with that.

I also stopped caring about the loot about halfway through, I found 3 guns that I really liked and just kept leveling them up to keep them relevant. I think I hit level 29 at the end.

If I had to score this I would give it a 70% (Which isn't bad, but I wouldn't include it on any game of the year lists).
I also finished the main story a few months back. EPIC shows I play it for 28 hours. My thoughts mimic yours, and I also started skipping side quest toward the end and just played to finish. I enjoyed it, worth the money I paid, but don't see myself revisiting it to dig into the side quest at any point in the future. 6 OO Tentacles.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is $17 on GreenMan right now. If it stays on sale until I have the cash Im still not sure I should try and get it. Worth it?

I just started Blood & Wine so would be a while to get to it but at that price I dont think it will be that cheap again for a good while.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm This is $17 on GreenMan right now. If it stays on sale until I have the cash Im still not sure I should try and get it. Worth it?

I just started Blood & Wine so would be a while to get to it but at that price I dont think it will be that cheap again for a good while.
I think it is worth it at $17, I think I paid $24 and consider it money well spent. If you like Fallout style games then yes.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'd say so. I burned out, but it was good fun while it lasted. And it seems like the kind of game you might like.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing it'll be on sale for a very similar price as part of the summer STEAM sale starting in a few hours. The 3rd party keytailers are usually a pretty good window into the upcoming sale prices now. Every so often there's a huge difference, but no so much anymore.

EDIT: I was wrong. GMG price is ~$7 better!
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was going to replay this and purchase the DLC but since the sequel has gone exclusive I think I'll just break up with it now and save myself further heartache.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Playstation player, I assume?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 pm Playstation player, I assume?
Yeah. My PC hard drive space is really at a premium until a rebuild which would be in the future. So games like this go on the PS4 and I don't really feel like jumping to the Xbox.

I don't mind games that were always platform exclusive, like say Halo or Horizon Zero Dawn. But I get really annoyed when game companies who have developed really popular games for multiple platforms decide to go exclusive.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree, although Halo wasn't the best example, as it was one of the first examples I know of a game changing platforms to become an exclusive (it was originally a PC/Mac title until Microsoft bought them/it as a system seller for the new XBox, and I remember people being pissed.)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:06 pm I agree, although Halo wasn't the best example, as it was one of the first examples I know of a game changing platforms to become an exclusive (it was originally a PC/Mac title until Microsoft bought them/it as a system seller for the new XBox, and I remember people being pissed.)
I didn't know that piece of history. I guess I didn't mind too much at the time I guess since I had a Xbox! :lol:
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was mad. Not super mad just upset I guess. I had been watching it evolve a bit . I can remember being in Software Etc around 1999 or so and finding out it was Xbox only then. Ugh.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:56 am I'm guessing it'll be on sale for a very similar price as part of the summer STEAM sale starting in a few hours. The 3rd party keytailers are usually a pretty good window into the upcoming sale prices now. Every so often there's a huge difference, but no so much anymore.

EDIT: I was wrong. GMG price is ~$7 better!

Sale has started but its $24. Funny as the GreenMan one registers on Steam.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just started playing. I find it to be a strange mix of Fallout 3/4 and Borderlands 2. Marauders are basically Fallout's raiders, random enemies, with the corporate ethics and aesthetics of Borderlands series. I've landed in town, turned in some bounties, and did some things for Ludwig, so I'm on good terms with Spacer's Choice (the corp) but I am also on neutral+ with the "rebels" at the Botanical garden.

Selling prices are so low, even grabbing every last piece of loot (without stealing) won't make you rich. Seems only finishing quests can. Selling stuff nets you like a few "bits" (creds) at a time. Finishing a quest means a reward of usually 500 bits for EACH quest or subquest. I collected 3 bounties, seems each paid me $500.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got THOUSANDS of bits (even after purchasing the navkey for 10K) and the game is still throwing new weapons at me. Now the weapons have "Mk II" variants with vastly improved stats? Hmmm...

Did the Scylla bit, and my team pretty much just mow through all opposition with their superior firepower. Only a mega creature (Colossal Primal) would knock them down. Got Ellie, Parvati, Vicar Max, and now, SAM the robot. I think there is 1 or 2 more companions I can find.

I like the way lockpick is NOT the do-all end-all option, nor was firepower the only solution. Often, you can intimidate or charm your way out of some situations. Or just lie like heck, if you got the skills for it. I should have re-rolled and concentrated my skills on fewer areas rather than spreading them out all over the place.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Arrived at Stellar Bay. Overall feel of the game is still VERY much FNV-ish, with the faction reputation system, esp. Though there's a bit of a QOL problem in that you can't choose all the quests and see which one you're closest to. Instead, you can only pick one at a time.

And there are just too many items with nearly the same effects, esp. those food, drink, and stimulant stuff. Some give you 25% base health heal, some doubles your natural heal rate, some gives you bonus stats, some improves your shooting (less jitter/spread), but they're not grouped in any way.

I am going about Stellar Bay for quests and I can see this will get quite complicated. So far, I've yet to botch a quest, but I have a feeling there will be some quests later where I had to choose a side and cut off the other side.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played through 80% of the main game, decided to go finish off Eridanos DLC, and just did so.

I think I'm at L36, and maybe a bit overpowered as I was able to kill the UBG there without using the built-in method. Hahaha.

I guess I'll head off to the Gorgon DLC next.

Complaint so far? Inability to sort stuff in inventory. All melee weapon first, then projectiles? By damage type? By grade? By value? Nope. FIFO only. This gets crazy as there are dozens and dozens of "food and drugs" in the game, from armor enhancers creams to bullet time enhancers, multiple types of alcohol (-1 attributes), different types of food (faster healing, or increase base health), different types of stim (enhanced shooting, decreased drift). But no ability to sort or group them in ANY way.

Also, no color-code in the various grades of product (even in fantasy/medieval RPGs you have color codes like gray for common, green for rare, and so on. The only marker here available is for the super-special "scientific weapons" and the "unique weapons". The only clue as for quality is the suffix, which comes in at least 4 variations. Again, no sorting.

Also, inability to highlight multiple quests and see which ones are closer, or ability to sort quests by location / sublocation. How many times do I have to flip back and forth among quests just to see which one I may still have in the area? Either segregate them by area (local area, regional area, off-planet) or let us highlight multiple quest targets at the same time.

Oh, and PLEASE put a quest marker on top of "named characters". I absolutely missed Felix among the various containers at the docks of Groundbreaker. I actually recruited EVERYBODY else and wondered "why is there a companion missing?" then realized the guy was there. And I missed a few quests if I didn't notice the NPC has a unique name rather than generic descriptor. I also missed a quest from Zora of Iconoclasts, leading to an irreconcilable difference between them and MSI that caused me to kill most of the iconoclasts when they declared war on the MSI.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, finished EVERY companion quest, finished Gorgon, and finished the final missions on Byzantium, yes, even the exploration bureau's mission, which involves GOING OUTSIDE the force field?!?!?! Was stupid and forgot to engage bullet time. :D

I think I did about 95% of all quests, as I was looking for them. In the final mission it was nice for friends to show up, and I think I accidentally shot a bunch of friends that came to help on a later section of the level. But I didn't bother with stealth... Just liberal application of firepower.

But then, I also scour the land of every last bottle or bullet, that I have like 5000+ rounds of every type, which is WAY more than I can ever use. Hahaha!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Outer Worlds is getting a PS5, Xbox Series X upgrade
The Outer Worlds is coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X early next month. The rerelease is formally titled The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition and will come with a slew of performance upgrades for graphics and other gameplay features. Obsidian Entertainment, Private Division, and Virtuos announced on Monday that the new edition will hit stores on March 7.

The new version will cost $59.99 and will contain the base game with both downloadable expansions, Murder on Eridanos and Peril on Gorgon. The upgraded version will also be available to purchase on Windows PC as well. Those who bought the original game and both sets of the DLC on PlayStation 4, Windows PC, or Xbox One will be able to upgrade to the current-gen version for $9.99.

The upgraded version contains a whole batch of new improvements. A description from the developers said that players can expect “higher resolution graphics, a dynamic weather system, overhauled lighting and environments, improved performance and load times, enhanced details on characters, an increased level cap,” and more.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Hmm, I might be tempted to try this again with this upgrade. I enjoyed it decently enough on release even though I got distracted before I made it very far.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Literally just went back to playing this yesterday and they announce the upgraded ultimate edition. Yeah, that's my luck.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I missed that you need to own both DLC expansions to qualify for the $10 upgrade. Guess I just saved myself $10? Seems like an odd strategy for them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that the new version includes all the DLC baked in, GOTY style, and they're not wanting to give them away. It's not uncommon - for example, if you just own the Witcher 3 base game, you don't get access to the DLC with the next-gen upgrade that released a while back, and still have to buy them separately (or buy and upgrade to a version that has them.) Of course, CDPR gives the update itself away for free to current owners.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Steam reviews are overwhelmingly negative right now saying it runs like crap. That is...surprising.

Regardless, I guess I should have picked up the DLC at some point. Not really interested in purchasing at full price (or 20% off) right now, particularly if it's not optimized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I should really play this soon.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Because I'm bad with money, I went ahead and bought the "upgrade" for the game on Epic. There, at least, it is being treated as a different game so instead of patching the existing version, it requires a separate install of the Spacer's Edition alongside the OG edition. Double the footprint, double the fun, I guess.

As to the technical issues that people are reporting, we were warned by the branding of the new release...
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't worry - they will release a patch, I'm sure.

For another $10.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just finished this (the regular edition, not "Spacer's Choice"), and it's... fine? Very strong Fallout-in-space vibes, but in ways that made me think I would enjoy Fallout less these days. This is probably more about me than the game, but churning through every option in a dialogue tree while an expressionless NPC face stares directly at the camera is less fun than it used to be.

The humor usually hits the mark, most of the companions are great (love Parvati), and gunplay is pretty solid for an RPG. Had a pretty good time, glad I played it, don't see myself playing it again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this one of those games where Im supposed to pick up all the glowing highlighted items I see or will that just fill my inv with junk? Im just outside the first town doing the first main quest and some sides and Ive already picked up a heck of a lot of stuff. I tried selling one of my 5 swords to a vending machine but found no way to do it.

Should I just keep picking stuff up as I go?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I 'think' Im starting to get the hang of this. Lots of side quests in a small area of a map. I like this if this is how it works. Actually I love it. Im lvl 4 or so in the first town doing all the side stuff and ignoring the main as much as possible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I finished the first planet. Rerouted power to the town of Edgewater and talked the head guy into leaving his post so the botanical lady could come back and take over. I tried to do the best thing I could for everyone.

It struck me hard on my ship how this feels like Im in Firefly . Parvati the engineer girl is like Kaylee and and the Vicker is like Shepard Book. Least so far it feels that way. Even Parvati is hyper enthusiastic lol. And the Vicker seems to be more than a simple Vicker.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You will get a lot of minor variations of the same thing, like10+ variants of food / heal items.

You will do a loyalty quest for EACH of your companions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a shame from what Ive read there are no romance lines in this game. Parvati or whatever her name is seems to be tailor made to be a romance option .