Watch Dogs: Legion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:19 pm Hey look a sale on a bunch of games I already paid full price for! Also might want to note that's an xbox.com sale. I was confused for a minute.
I was just posting the link and the images because I thought it was a pretty clever cross-over, although who knows if someone wanted to get a cheaper Xbox version.

Personally I've gone to Uplay+ because I'm finding that it is mostly Ubisoft games that I'm playing nowadays so I might as well just pay $14.99 a month and have access to everything.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This video seems pretty useful, it goes through all the settings for the PC version, not just graphics settings.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Everything You Need to Know About Watch Dogs: Legion’s Launch
We’re only a few days away from launch, and we are very excited to see you build your resistance and liberate London! The game will be available on October 29 at midnight local time in each country. From then on you will be able to recruit anyone, play as anyone, explore our near-future London, fight back against the authoritarian powers who want to take over, and find out who is behind the Zero-Day bombings.

Our Online mode will launch early December, offering up to 4-player co-op and a variety of new content, activities and stories. We will share more details as we get closer to December.

For now, put on your Masks and ready up to join the DedSec Resistance! Here are all the details about preload timing and game install sizes for Watch Dogs: Legion.

PRELOAD TIMINGS (DIGITAL PURCHASES)

If you have purchased a digital version of Watch Dogs: Legion, you will be able to begin preload on October 26 at 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm CET on Uplay and on the Epic Game Store for PC.

If you’re playing on Xbox One you can already start the preload today! Players on PlayStation 4 can start preloading shortly after midnight local time on October 27.

INSTALLATION SIZE AND DOWNLOADS

PC: If you’ve bought a physical version of the game, start the installation process from the disc. You will then be asked to download a 6.19GB patch. For digital installations, players can expect a 40.4GB download. The final installation size on PC will be 45GB, plus an additional 20GB for the optional HD textures.

XBOX ONE: If you’ve purchased a physical copy of the game, begin by installing the game from the disc. You will then be prompted to download a patch of 1.85GB. Digital installations will download ~37GB. Final installation size will be 35.7GB.

PlayStation 4: Physical editions will start the installation via disc and will download a 2GB patch to complete installation. If you’ve purchase a digital version, you can expect a 33GB download. The final installation size on the console will be 33.9GB.

Local language packs will be available for all versions and platforms on launch day and are an additional download between 4GB-5.2GB.

NEXT GEN CONSOLES

XBOX SERIES X / S: Physical and digital copies of Watch Dogs: Legion will be available at launch of the Xbox Series X / S console on November 10.

PlayStation 5: The PlayStation 5 is scheduled to launch from November 12, and Watch Dogs: Legion will be available digitally upon launch of the console. Physical copies for the PlayStation 5 will be available on November 24.

As a reminder, players will be able to upgrade from an Xbox One X copy of the game to the Xbox Series X|S* version with Xbox’s Smart Delivery at no extra cost. Players who own a PlayStation 4 copy of the game can upgrade it to the PlayStation 5** version at no additional cost. More details can be found on our dedicated support page.

Smart Delivery technology - buy the game once and play it on either Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S when both the console and that version of the game are available. Visit https://ubi.li/NextGenUpgrades for more details.
Upgrade to the digital PS5 version of the game at no additional cost when and where available. To upgrade eligible PS4 disc copies, players need a PS5 console with a disc drive. Visit https://ubi.li/NextGenUpgrades for more details.

Enlarge Image

See you in London!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like a bunch of streamers have early access. You can see the current live streams on Twitch here.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Downloading is happening now, I'm doing it for my Uplay+ subscription. Meanwhile, What Kind of Watch Dogs: Legion Player Are You?
Watch Dogs: Legion offers virtually endless combinations of recruits, gadgets, upgrades, and weapons, allowing you to play the way you want. To start you off on the streets of London, Game Designer for Gameplay Mathieu Berube has some tips for optimizing your character builds to best suit your play style.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Still deciding if I will resub to uplay+ or just buy the game (and Valhalla and Immortals)... that's 3 new. games in 3 months making Uplay+ sounds like a pretty good deal, but sub vs forever still bothers me, despite the fact I almost NEVER go back to a game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:21 pm Still deciding if I will resub to uplay+ or just buy the game (and Valhalla and Immortals)... that's 3 new. games in 3 months making Uplay+ sounds like a pretty good deal, but sub vs forever still bothers me, despite the fact I almost NEVER go back to a game.
Don't forget Far Cry 6 due in February :wink:

Like you, I almost never go back to a game, so not buying a copy doesn't bother me. I like having the access to most of the deluxe/ultimate edition stuff as part of the subscription rather than without having to agonize over whether to order it early to save money, knowing I might never get around to playing the extra content.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:21 pm Still deciding if I will resub to uplay+ or just buy the game (and Valhalla and Immortals)... that's 3 new. games in 3 months making Uplay+ sounds like a pretty good deal, but sub vs forever still bothers me, despite the fact I almost NEVER go back to a game.
I'm in the same boat, with about 3 or 4 Ubisoft titles that I want to play coming out in the next few months. I went with a Uplay+ subscription for now, and for any of them that feel like keepers in the long term, I'll just buy them at a deep discount when they inevitably go on sale for pennies on the dollar in a year or two.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:44 pm
I'm in the same boat, with about 3 or 4 Ubisoft titles that I want to play coming out in the next few months. I went with a Uplay+ subscription for now, and for any of them that feel like keepers in the long term, I'll just buy them at a deep discount when they inevitably go on sale for pennies on the dollar in a year or two.
Fine. Do you have an influencer code I can input on my sub? :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:46 pm
I don't know why we can't nominate OO to be an influencer site :D

By the way, my Firefox browser says that influencer isn't a real word. I'm tending to agree :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 pm

By the way, my Firefox browser says that influencer isn't a real word. I'm tending to agree :roll:
Oldster is and is the antonym.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:56 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Oldster is and is the antonym.
I'm surprisingly not bothered by that :D.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Over on reddit/WDL, there is a post about getting some exclusive content: How to unlock exclusive content for Watch Dogs Legion
⚠️ How to unlock exclusive content for Watch Dogs Legion on ANY PLATFORM :
Log in [You can change the language if you want] : Watch Dogs Legion Reedem Page (Be sure to have your console accounts linked to your Ubisoft one's)
Enter the code : WDSL-ELRU-BIUS-9999
Rubius has been unlock! Open the game and you will have him. (He is a famous streamer in Spain)
Source : Ubisoft Spain (YouTube)
This is what you get : Rubius Bundle
This actually worked for me on the PC :D.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Watched a couple reviews this morning, nothing terribly surprising. It's another Ubisoft open world game with random characters so their voices are weird and their faces aren't quite right. Music is nothing exceptional, most of the buildings can't be entered, animation issues, no computer exists that can run ultra settings...

On the other hand, one reviewer made a comparison to the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. I subbed to Ubisoft+ that same minute. It wasn't even really a favorable comparison. Didn't matter.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Music I don't really care about, and I hardly expected many buildings to be able to be entered. Voices and faces probably isn't going to be a big deal for me, I survived Assassination's Creed Unity :D. And since I'm not wildly excited about Valhalla and Cyberpunk 2077 has been postponed, I've decided I'm going to like WDL no matter what :wink:

For those who care, there was an update to the Ubisoft Connect client this morning, so be sure to restart it. Also if you preloaded WDL on PC there was a 1.5GB update to download, just means less to download tonight. On the client page for WDL there are now Rewards available, including some free ones which include some free ETO, which I understand is the cash in the game. Funny that the extra cash is free, not needing your Ubisoft points.

And since I'm 67 :roll: I'm going to need to take a nap this afternoon since the game is unlocking at 12:01am and I feel like I could get in three hours before I need to crash.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And because these things happen, there is a thread over at the Ubisoft WDL forum, Watch Dogs: Legion - Launch Known Issues. I won't post the text from it as it will probably be changing. Nothing sounds horribly bad and if it was like Breakpoint there will be hotfixes coming out soon.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If you have some extra cash laying around and want to add something special to your bookshelf, how about Watch Dogs Legion: Resistance Report?
The ultimate in-world companion book to one of the biggest video game releases of 2020, Watch Dogs: Legion.

In a near-future London threatened by state surveillance, private military, and organized crime, the only way to rise up is to recruit everyone into the Resistance. This in-world book gathers the investigative work of an American reporter on the ground in London, perfectly poised to report on the fight to take back the city, even as the very forces he’s investigating threaten to encircle him.

Explore the world of Watch Dogs: Legion with illustrated research files that provide an overview of key aspects of the game’s universe, including detailed profiles on the transformed city of London and its boroughs, factions, vehicles, weapons, technology, and more.

Packed with immersive text and exclusive artwork, this book is the definitive guide to the lore of Watch Dogs: Legion.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Ubisoft, 5 Essential Tips for Playing Watch Dogs: Legion
Spoiler:
Building a resistance to take back London while being able to play as anyone can be overwhelming. To set you up for success, Creative Director Clint Hocking shares five essential tips to help you build the most effective team of recruits and use them to get results.

Tip #1 – Profile Everyone Building a solid team of operatives starts by having lots of recruits to choose from. Profile as many people as you can to discover characters with different abilities, items, and characteristics that can be combined to build well-rounded teams.

Tip #2 – Build Characters with Synergies Each recruit you gather will have their own unique blend of abilities, items, and characteristics. When customizing your loadouts, make sure to pair characters with gadgets and upgrades that will best optimize them to suit your play style.

Tip #3 – Experiment with Gadgets Watch Dogs: Legion includes a large collection of gadgets, all of which can combine to suit various needs. Here, Clint suggests attaching a sticky bomb to a drone, which can be flown into a group of enemies and detonated, allowing players to take out sizeable threats without having to confront them head-on.

Tip #4 – Always Scout Locations Successfully completing mission objectives becomes easier if you know the layout of the place you’re infiltrating. Use gadgets and exploration to take note of enemy drones flying overhead, guards scouting the area, traps that have been set, any hacking possibilities to be leveraged... knowing what lies ahead and having a plan going in will put you in a better position to succeed.

Tip #5 – Liberate the Boroughs Every borough in the game has its own set of missions and activities with the ultimate goal of liberating the area’s people from the grasp of Albion. Better known as Borough Liberation, these culminate in unique and interesting missions taking place at notable London landmarks. Not only are these missions an opportunity for fun, challenging, and exciting quests, but liberating boroughs will also make it easier to recruit people into DedSec. And we haven’t even talked about the juicy skins, gadgets, and upgrades that come as rewards!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I went ahead and signed up for Ubisoft Plus as well. AC:Valhalla and Far Cry 6 would both be day one purchases. For that same $120, I can sub for 8 months and still get to play Watch Dogs and anything else they put out. Can't argue with that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The game unlocked right at midnight local time. I've gone through the initial cutscenes and mission, about to pick my first operative :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The game unlocked for me on schedule, but it won't launch. I uninstalled and am re-downloading it to see if that sorts things out.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Posted this over on the Ubisoft WDL forum, but not responses yet:
As above, "How do I display my FPS? Playing on PC". In the Ubisoft Connect client I do have "Display FPS counter in game" checked but I'm still not seeing the FPS display like I do for example in Breakpoint. Is there a separate setting needed in the game? I looked through the options but didn't see one, but then I might be overlooking it. Thanks for any help!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The workaround to get the game to launch was to switch over to my admin account. Hopefully this is not working as intended and they will fix it so that the game can be played from a user account. Like every other game I own...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I'm coming up for air after playing for three hours and the impressions are very good. No glitches, bugs or other problems seen. The first, introductory mission is on rails to introduce you to game controls, combat and the like and then there were a couple of other small missions and then you are on your own, as far as selecting what you want to do next.

Your character recruits another, designated character, to show you how it's done, and then you are free to recruit who you want, if of course they are willing to join DedSec. I also automatically got four other characters as fellow operatives, three I think are part of the normal progression and the fourth was that Spanish streamer mentioned above. So I have a team of a half dozen to try out different ways to play.

I'm more of a Watch Dogs stealth player rather than one who goes in guns blazing so as I played a couple of campaign missions plus a side mission I tried using stealth which went pretty well. And I also recruited a couple more operatives, and to get each one I had to do some job for them. In one case I had to rescue a friend of one of them from an Albion lock-up. In another I had to hijack a truck from a secure lockup. They were both lots of fun to play, interesting locations and really challenged me to try unusual approaches.

With regards to graphics, things look pretty good with my GTX 1060 6GB card. I played with the settings a bit and turned them up from the default but it was hard to say how different it looked. As far as performance, things are pretty smooth except if you are driving and changing your view angle sharply. Nothing that really prevents your from playing, just some less than clear viewing.

Music is pretty good and I found one radio station that I liked, which is good as well. I didn't notice any bad synchronizations between character voices and facial movements, nor any voice that sounded out of place with its associated character.

London looks pretty awesome in the game, lots of details when you walk around. They have done a good job of adding the dystopian feel to the city without going overboard, and there are lots of little graphic details to look at. A very nice touch is that for cars, you can select Autodrive and so you can pan the camera around and enjoy the view. I've tried a couple of motorcycles and they feel a bit weird to drive (I'm using an old X360 controller). Not horrible, but just a little flaky.

As far as the tone of the game characters you are associated with, I'd say it was midway between the grimness of Aidan Pierce in WD1 and the lightheartedness of the gang in WD2. So far none of the characters are really deep because of course you're going to be switching between them a lot, but that's not an issue as far as enjoying the game.

Overall, for three hours played, I'd say I hadn't seen anything discouraging. It looks like another great entry in the Watch Dogs series, but is definitely a different cup of tea :D
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I just got about 4 hours in with the game and also had no issues. I made it through the first few story missions as well as a few recruitments. So far, it feels like a Watch Dogs game, which is a positive in my book.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:44 am So I'm coming up for air after playing for three hours and the impressions are very good. No glitches, bugs or other problems seen.
Game crashed to desktop for me in the tutorial mission. Screen went black when I went to the melee training in the base and I had to kill the game.

I'm still excited for the game but it's a bit more tempered now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case people wondered, Watch Dogs Legion permadeath explained
Watch Dogs Legion offers a giant, dystopian spin on London packed full of potential DedSec recruits with their own backstories and abilities. You’ll spend a good deal of your time here building up your ranks and searching for powerful new operatives with which to put an end to the surveillance state and Albion’s totalitarian regime. That’s a lofty enough goal as is, but Legion goes one step further by offering a separate permadeath mode.

Yes, if you opt to turn permadeath on, any operatives who go down in the field and aren’t revived will remain dead forever. That might seem rather cruel, but it’s arguably the way that Watch Dogs Legion was designed to be played.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:09 am Game crashed to desktop for me in the tutorial mission. Screen went black when I went to the melee training in the base and I had to kill the game.

I'm still excited for the game but it's a bit more tempered now.
Sorry to hear that, it's alway sucky when a game you are excited about won't behave. However, help might be on the way: Watch Dogs: Legion PC performance patch due Friday
The launch hotfix patch notes list these PC-relevant changes:

Made several improvements to PC performance
Optimized performance to improve framerates for RTX GPUs
Fixed an issue that caused framerate drops to occur when characters walk through checkpoints
Improved the framerate performance when driving
Fixed a freeze when switching input controllers on PC
Patch Notes:
Spoiler:
Patch Notes: 

Global performance improvements on PS4 for smoother gameplay/driving
Made several improvements to PC performance
Optimized performance to improve framerates for RTX GPUs
Fixed an issue that caused framerate drops to occur when characters walk through checkpoints
Improved the framerate performance when driving
Fixed a freeze when switching input controllers on PC
Fixed sporadic crashes on PS4
Fixed sporadic crashes on Xbox One/S
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when launched on a console set to TURKISH, INDONESIAN, GREEK, ROMANIAN, HUNGARIAN, VIETNAMESE or THAI languages
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on Xbox One X when selecting a certain option in the Into the Void mission
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when browsing through the Premium Shop tabs on Xbox One
Also:
The patch is on consoles today, then PC Friday. Ubisoft do also warn that the game might crash if you’re not updated to a new version of Windows. “We recommend updating your OS to updates 1903 or 1909 at the minimum, and strongly suggest having the latest OS system version installed when running the game,” they say.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have permadeath on and to keep the stakes high I am playing with a controller so my ranged aim is... hampered.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:04 am I have permadeath on and to keep the stakes high I am playing with a controller so my ranged aim is... hampered.
I started with it on but chickened out and turned it off :roll:. I might actually start a new game with it on when my new rig finally shows up. It is supposed to ship today, but... :pray:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess it depends how hard recruitment is. I've only done one recruitment mission so far (and failed at the end) and I have to go to a high school football game tonight. :evil:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 am The workaround to get the game to launch was to switch over to my admin account. Hopefully this is not working as intended and they will fix it so that the game can be played from a user account. Like every other game I own...
And the fix was to reinstall Connect. This seems to be a long-standing issue with Uplay that is still present with Connect. I had forgotten about it, but back in January I had a similar problem launching Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and the fix then was reinstalling Uplay.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just played for a few minutes before going out. I tried to do a recruitment but as I walked over to where I had to do my task there was an Albion soldier beating up a civilian. I stopped the soldier but all hell broke out :shock:. It took about ten minutes to shake all the pursuit, but it was a lot of fun. London is a very cool place to be chased through 8-)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I never finished 2, and it's been ages since I played the original, so I had forgotten all the hack stuff - hacking cameras, arming traps, etc. They kind of throw you in the deep end there so it took me a few minutes to recalibrate my brain.

However, I'm on a roll now and enjoying it a great deal. I really like the "play as multiple people" concept.

Of course as soon as AC: Valhalla drops I know I'm going to shelve this faster than you can say "DeadSec" but it's a fun diversion in the meantime.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am playing with permadeath on and have screwed up fatally several times but wasn't punished for it. Then I checked the setting and I see I need to complete the next story mission before it becomes active. The good news is I am learning and using the time to build up my team a little bit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I finally let the game set my default graphics, which it did to Medium, and I'm getting better FPS, but the driving view still is wonky. Hopefully the patch makes a significant impact on this.

Meanwhile, flying on a cargo drone is fun, and I'm getting a solid 40 FPS even with that view :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I haven't had any issues since those first two I reported. I've played a few hours post permadeath enabling mission and I've had one recruit arrested, but he wasn't gone that long... sadly he was my construction worker so he was terribly missed in that time. I need to recruit a backup. I have half the boroughs on my side now. Things got a lot less annoying when I figured out fast travel. If you zoom out too far on the map you can't see the tube stops.

I don't like how running from a fight works with the attacks putting you in melee mode which is a pain (slow) to break out of.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I had my first permadeath fatality last night. My primary hacker wasn't as well hidden as I thought while investigating an Albion facility. He was found by a guard while operating a spider drone and was swarmed by security before he could disengage and escape.

On the upside, his slightly less capable understudy was able to recruit a spy, and the spy almost immediately got a line on a DedSec-friendly professional hitman, so things are looking a little more Kingsman going forward.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I really wish I hadn't chickened out about Permadeath :doh:. I've had two operatives end up in hospital (as the Brits would say) rather than dead, and since I have a doctor on staff they get out quicker. I've got nine hours in so far and I don't think I want to repeat it just so I can play with Permadeath. On the other hand, what I've mostly been doing is recruitment missions which are oddly satifying :roll:. They are also sometimes not easy at all. I had one recruitment that took me to three separate locations of which one was a max security facility.

Also, a more than one gig patch was just delivered for PC which addressed the items mentioned above. Hopefully driving is better. The Launch Known Issues list has been updated, but I can't post it as there are strikethroughs that don't carry across in a cut and paste.