Watch Dogs: Legion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion

Post by jztemple2 »

Useful article, How to take photos in Watch Dogs: Legion
How to take photos in Watch Dogs: Legion
In Watch Dogs: Legion, it’s super easy to take photos. With your operative idling and not in combat or anything, just press the 9 key on your keyboard. You can also do this from the gadget wheel menu by holding X. From here, you can follow the on-screen prompts to get your camera to focus with C, adjust filters with right click, or switch to front camera with V to take some sick selfies.

How to use Photo Mode in Watch Dogs: Legion
Again, it isn’t difficult to activate photo mode in Watch Dogs: Legion. All you have to do is press F2, or hold down X on your keyboard to access it above the top right of the gadget wheel. The controls and settings are much the same as with the normal camera, with all the corny tagline overlays available with right click and everything. There are a few extra options in photo mode though, including the ability to tilt the camera with Q and E, and orbit it around your reticule by holding the middle mouse button and moving the mouse around.

How to photograph evidence Watch Dogs: Legion
Some missions and quests will require you to take photos of evidence to compromise your enemies. This can be done either with the camera option (as in the first section of this page) or by using a drone with photographic capabilities. If you hijack a news drone, you can take a photo by switching to the camera by pressing Z, and the camera’s options there are largely the same as the on-foot versions. For non-camera drones, you’ll only be able to ‘change view’ rather than take pictures.
Additionally I've decided to start over with Permadeath on :roll:. I'm just finding that it is too easy to have boatloads of operatives since none die and I get those three Prestige operators as well. Also I think I'm OK with experiencing the start once again. Since there are three save slots I'm not really throwing away my progress and can always got back :wink:

UPDATE: What do folks think about Ironman Mode? This is where you start with Permadeath on and cannot turn it off. I'm strangely drawn to it, but on the other hand I can just play with Permadeath on, no Ironman and just promise myself I won't turn off Permadeath no matter what :snooty:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've had one arrest and one hospitalization. Neither lasted very long. I had a couple close calls also but no deaths yet... well not for me... pedestrians on the other hand.

I'm pretty much just opening up all the districts now. I think I have 2 left to go. The construction drone makes most of the activities trivial.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:43 pm UPDATE: What do folks think about Ironman Mode? This is where you start with Permadeath on and cannot turn it off. I'm strangely drawn to it, but on the other hand I can just play with Permadeath on, no Ironman and just promise myself I won't turn off Permadeath no matter what :snooty:
I don't see any reason I would turn permadeath off. Does Ironman change the difficulty level? The default difficulty isn't terribly difficult.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I didn't play with the Ironman setting other than switch it on and off, so I don't know if it changes difficulty. The associated text didn't say so.

So I did start a new game, Normal difficulty and Permadeath on. I'm glad I did, even on the first action mission I saw a bunch of stuff I didn't before. Also now I know not to waste Tech Points on delivery drone control, since I'm getting 2000 ETO at the start of a new game and getting cash isn't too hard. Also it is for cosmetic stuff which I don't care about that much.

I just did do my first bare knuckles fight in a different location than before and damn, the last match put me up against two fighters! :shock: I lost but since I hadn't reached some critical point the game just let me try again.

Does everyone start off with three extra operatives? I have four because that guy on the top right is the free downloadable content Spanish streamer. The top middle is the guy I recruited.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Most of them appear to be disappointed in your life choices.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 pm Most of them appear to be disappointed in your life choices.
Gee, my DedSec operatives in San Francisco were so much more upbeat! :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 pm Does everyone start off with three extra operatives?
The three with gold logos in the upper right corner are rewards from... something, but I am not sure what. :) I don't have their names offhand so hard to google them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:32 pm I've had two operatives end up in hospital (as the Brits would say)
Uh...you don't call it a hospital?
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They only have the one.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The 3 with the Watch Dogs logo are from the Urban Jungle pack that was included with the Ultimate package.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:07 pm The 3 with the Watch Dogs logo are from the Urban Jungle pack that was included with the Ultimate package.
Thanks! I have Ubisoft+ so I'm getting all the bells and whistles from that. Obviously it makes the game easier if you start off with more operatives! :roll:

I also have VIP status so more XP for a month.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You have to love it when an overly complicated plan comes together. And then goes pear-shaped...

I wanted to recruit an intelligence officer. In order to bring her on board, I needed to hack a NHS server at the hospital. In order to make that a little easier, I decided to recruit a paramedic I spotted at the entrance, since she was already favourably disposed to DedSec.

In order to recruit her, I needed to hijack an Albion armoured vehicle in order to capture a data drive. However, the mission didn't generate a waypoint, so I had no idea where to go to find a suitable vehicle. After a bit of fruitless flying around on a cargo drone, I decided to just do a nearby borough mission. While doing a recce of that site, I found an armoured truck and was able hack it, move it offsite and out of view of the guards, so I could just swoop down and drive it away at my leisure.

With the paramedic on the team, it wasn't difficult to walk into the hospital, deploy a spiderbot and hack the server. That led me to the next stage of the mission, which was to steal an ambulance containing illegally harvested organs, which would I would need to deliver to the intelligence officer. My trusty spiderbot was able to infiltrate the site containing the ambulance, neutralize the security locks on the garage door and move the ambulance next to the exterior gate, so all my operative had to do was open the gate, hop in the vehicle and drive it away.

After a leisurely ride across town, I arrived at my destination, only to have a squad of Albion goons pop up out of nowhere and open fire on me. I hopped out of the vehicle to get under cover and assess whether I would be able to deal with them, but as soon as I did that, a timer started up and the mission failed because I had abandoned the ambulance. I was able to escape the ambush, but I've lost the recruit candidate -- no do-overs.

I'm not sure whether the "ambush" was just a bug or a scripted part of the mission. I choose to believe that the intelligence officer was part of an Albion counterintelligence operation intended to neutralize my DedSec operative, and they very nearly succeeded. If I find her again, I may just dispatch Edmond to send her my regards...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:53 pm They only have the one.
We have considerably more than one. JZ I still want to know what you meant by that!
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Oh, is that all? How anticlimactic!
I no longer post here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Captain Buzzkill away!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:17 pm You have to love it when an overly complicated plan comes together. And then goes pear-shaped...
Even with my new game start, I'm still finding myself doing a lot of recruitment because it is so unpredictable and fun. Not as insane as your example of course :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a very cool guy. Fights better when drunk, and carries his own beer with him! He also panhandles for ETO.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I just lost my very cool guy... :cry:

I was trying to get a tech gadget. I got the ten points, but lost my guy. I guess I shouldn't have kept shooting at that Albion drone :roll:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My missing intelligence officer showed up again in my list of potential recruits, so I must have missed her when I checked after the failed mission. She had been arrested for some reason, so I had to break in to the jail and hack a terminal to secure her release, which gave me another opportunity to do a new recruiting mission. So I guess there are do-overs after all.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had something odd happen. I was moving away from a mission and saw an Albion officer and two people with their hands up, so I guess he was arresting them. I took out the Albion officer and the two people ran away. Moments later I was notified that both of them had volunteered to join DedSec, no missions needed :dance:. I've helped people before, but maybe before the people weren't being arrested and perhaps that made the difference. I'll keep an eye out for situations like that.

I would buy a game like this even if all it contained was recruitment missions :D. I've had some really tough, intensive ones, and I've had one that just required me to steal an Albion heavy vehicle. So there has been a nice variety.

I've also found one tech gadget (the +10 point thing) that was completely inaccessible, or at least after fifteen minutes of looking I never found a way to get to it :roll:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I haven't gone out of my way to hunt down tech yet. I had at least one case, though, where I saw one that initially seemed to be innaccessable, but after some searching I found a camera and discovered the tech was in an underground facility of some sort. I didn't locate the entrance before moving on, though.

neofit

Post by neofit »

Hi,

I got the first Watch Dogs as a freebie from Epic Games not so long ago. I've played one hours and quit. It felt, at least at the very beginning, that the game would be mostly about chasing people on foot and in cars, with rather bad mouse and keyboard controls. Also, I hated the Assassin Creed parts where it was about chasing, parkouring or following, loved the ships in Black Flag, loved Egypt and Greece. On the controls side, IMO the Just Cause games are the best example of proper controls porting onto the PC.

Anyway, is the new one again about chasing people on foot and racing cars? PC controls any good?

Thanks.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Most of the missions revolve around figuring out how to infiltrate a facility in order to accomplish the objective. Vehicles, for the most part, are just used for transportation, and if you don't like driving around the city manually, you can just set a waypoint and let the vehicle drive itself to your destination. I haven't seen anything along the line of car races. There are plenty of gameplay videos out there now if you want a look at how it plays.

I've been playing with keyboard/mouse on a PC, and the controls feel fine to me.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was all prepared to just dismiss this game as a diversion until AC: Valhalla, but I had some extended play time today with the wife and kids out of the house, and boy did it sink its hooks into me.

Starting out I was a little overwhelmed at the multiple recruits thing, but the main storyline does a decent job of helping you understand why you need different specialties by forcing you into it early on. Once that clicked and I had a good "stealth guy," "muscle guy," etc. I really started to embrace the gameplay.

Also I usually hate melee combat, but I found out I'm really good at it in this game so my fists have become my weapon of choice. :lol: I went through the Bareknuckle Fight Club tourney early and it really allowed me to hone my skills in that area.
neofit

Post by neofit »

I reinstalled the first watch dogs to try and remember what was it I didn't like, and bam, camera auto-centering in cars, feels like someone yanking the carpet from under me. Totally unplayable afaic, and apparently it's the same in Legion :) (something about a slider that doesn't work). And apparently I'm supposed to chase criminals in the streets as if I were a cop, yet I keep accidentally stealing money from people with 20K/y income. Seriously, I feel dirty after getting into so many people's private lives and then robbing them as a parting gift. I think I'll watch some "before you buy" vids on Legion then, it sounds different on the surface.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Permadeath is definitely having it's effects on my crew. I've lost three people so far, mostly because of missions that at some point throw large numbers of Albion soldiers at my agent that happened to be in places with no cover. The upgrade that gives agents more damage resistance should have been purchased earlier. :/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:10 pm The construction drone makes most of the activities trivial.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'm thinking that maybe the early intent was that only a construction worker could access a cargo drone but it was found to be forcing people to recruit and use a construction worker too often. Anyway, I'm not going to not use the cargo drone if one is available :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

neofit wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:10 pm And apparently I'm supposed to chase criminals in the streets as if I were a cop, yet I keep accidentally stealing money from people with 20K/y income. Seriously, I feel dirty after getting into so many people's private lives and then robbing them as a parting gift.
I'm afraid you may find a lot of video games aren't going to appeal to you then :D
neofit

Post by neofit »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:17 pm
neofit wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:10 pm And apparently I'm supposed to chase criminals in the streets as if I were a cop, yet I keep accidentally stealing money from people with 20K/y income. Seriously, I feel dirty after getting into so many people's private lives and then robbing them as a parting gift.
I'm afraid you may find a lot of video games aren't going to appeal to you then :D
Never had this problem before. Typically it's one or the other. But this "hey I must stop this heinous robbery, oooh, 100$ from a job-seeking person, yummy" is new :).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Had my first crash to desktop after 18 hours of play. And I had just won my second bare knuckles tournament :cry: . When I reloaded the game that victory was lost so I did the tournament over again. Then, after I walked away from the venue, I selected "Quit to Main Menu" so I could be sure to save the game. And dammit, the game locked up. I restarted, did the tournament a third time, and the game once again is hanging at the "Quit to Main Menu" step....

Wait, it did finally go to the main menu! It did take about five minutes :|. I saved to the cloud and then went back into the game and everything is OK. So lesson learned, when you select "Quit to Main Menu" expect a possible several minute delay :roll:.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:50 pm Permadeath is definitely having it's effects on my crew. I've lost three people so far, mostly because of missions that at some point throw large numbers of Albion soldiers at my agent that happened to be in places with no cover. The upgrade that gives agents more damage resistance should have been purchased earlier. :/
I finally lost one operative permanently. I didn't know they could reactivate turrets I deactivated it and it cost me one of my Albion guys. It's OK. I still have 23 operatives, but I need to get another Albion backup. I have two construction workers so I can play one while the other is in the hospital after I fall from somewhere not quite fatally. I've already done it twice and I lose that Operative for 45 minutes.

I have everything except 2 gadgets fully unlocked now. It hardly matters since I will never, ever give up my infiltration spider drone. I got in a tight spot and the spider drone took down 6 Albion elites all by himself. He's the real main character in this game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:33 pm Had my first crash to desktop after 18 hours of play. And I had just won my second bare knuckles tournament :cry: . When I reloaded the game that victory was lost so I did the tournament over again. Then, after I walked away from the venue, I selected "Quit to Main Menu" so I could be sure to save the game. And dammit, the game locked up. I restarted, did the tournament a third time, and the game once again is hanging at the "Quit to Main Menu" step....
I completed all the bare knuckles tourneys with a middle aged woman that hit hard. It was amusing. The game glitched on me twice through the whole process so I had to repeat a couple tournaments. Once the opponent went down and was supposed to transition to the next phase but the game never noticed he was down so I had to leave and start over. The other time after I won it went to a black screen and never game back and I had to Alt-F4 and do it again.

The game is painfully slow to exit for me. Quit to main menu goes quickly, but on the main menu I can't click or select exit for a good minute so I usually end up just leaving it there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah my slow exits a pain, I'm just being patient and wander off and do something else.

Meanwhile...

12 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do in Watch Dogs: Legion
Within the open world of Watch Dogs: Legion are plenty of opportunities, tricks, and details you might not be completely aware of. While we don’t want to spoil the fun of discovering all of the game’s secrets, we asked developers to share a few of their favorite hidden gems that showcase the wide range of cool details and tricks available from day one. From gadget experimentation to avenging your fallen recruits, here’s what they had to say:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm really liking the concept of having an operative with the right uniform for entering a restricted site. Some sites are so heavily guarded that without the uniform option I'd have to shoot my way into and out of it, and I really prefer stealth. I did get confused when I recruited a Clan Kelly Associate and then wondered that while they had on Clan Kelly clothing, they couldn't get the benefit of entering in uniform. Of course it is because the uniform is something you get from the options wheel, not just what apparel you have on :doh:.

I also just had a mission where I rescued a "missing" operative. I don't remember them being arrested, so this is something that must happen just to set up the mission. Fine with me, it was a fun mission.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and credits roll. The apps says 27 hours, which seems kind of high since the game has only been out for 4 days and I wasn't playing the whole time. Anyway, in the end I lost 4 operatives. There is post credits free play with some new stuff. I may play around with some of that just to see. The last couple story missions really ramp up the combat. I barely used a gun in the first 90% of the game but needed to use one a LOT toward the end. I was a little disappointed by that. Stealth was always an option, until it wasn't.

I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I didn't drop $60 on it (assuming I remember to cancel after Valhalla anyway).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 pm ...and credits roll. The apps says 27 hours, which seems kind of high since the game has only been out for 4 days and I wasn't playing the whole time.
Did you do all the area liberation missions and the other side missions like the boxing?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've got 26 hours in, have recruited 33 agents, liberated all the boroughs, completed the boxing side mission, and I'm at all of 15% story completion. :lol:

I noticed that the set-piece missions you get to finish off the boroughs can be very on-rails compared to the rest of the game, so I can see how some of the story missions might be the same.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was looking at my stats on the Ubisoft Club page for this game and saw this odd stat for coopasonic.

Since coop notes he played only 27 hours according to the app, I'm thinking this might be a bug :wink:

I finally lost my Albion uniformed operative on one of those missions where you trigger a hack and then have to stay in range while it downloads as every bad guy in range come streaming at you :roll:. I then recruited a meaner, badder ass Albion employee :D.

I'm having to manage my team count to avoid hitting the maximum, I wish it would display the number you have versus the max so I can quickly see how much margin I have. I've done some poking around and have found there is apparently no point to recruiting a police constable or a Buckingham Palace guard since Albion has access to those places too. Also I've cut a few people because they had only one special attribute and I can't waste a slot on those.
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 am I've got 26 hours in, have recruited 33 agents, liberated all the boroughs, completed the boxing side mission, and I'm at all of 15% story completion. :lol:
That's kind of the way I feel, doing all those side and recruiting missions are a lot of fun.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, what's the story with Ubisoft Club points? I see there are Rewards in WDL to spend them on, but I don't see any way to earn them.