Xbox Series X & Series S

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GungHo

Re: Xbox Series X & Series S

Post by GungHo »

So what's the secret sauce y'all used to score a console? I've checked all the big box stores everyday since pre-order launch day and have never even sniffed a Series X. Though I did get a controller that's hidden away for my kid's bday (now anyway...was originally hoping to get this under the tree).

Is it blind luck or does it require more effort than I've been willing to expend?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Follow Wario64 on Twitter. He’s reliably on top of announcing when systems are going on sale.
disarm

Post by disarm »

GungHo wrote:So what's the secret sauce y'all used to score a console?

Is it blind luck or does it require more effort than I've been willing to expend?
Pretty much luck and a little persistence in my case.

I managed to score one when Walmart released inventory by being persistent with attempting to submit my order. It took quite a few refreshes of the website to finally get one in my cart, then it was a struggle to actually complete the order. With all of my shipping and billing information already stored in Walmart's website, I spent several minutes trying to submit the order, being denied, and trying again. I just kept trying despite messages that the order couldn't complete due to the item being out of stock because it was never removed from my cart, and the order eventually went through.

On a previous day, I pretty quickly got a message that the system was out of stock and it kicked back to Walmart's homepage with an empty cart. That didn't happen this time, so I just kept clicking Submit Order and got lucky.

One thing to note with Walmart...they set a time for availability, then release their stock in small batches at 10-minute intervals starting at that time. I think I may have been successful because I got a console in my cart during the initial 3pm release, kept trying to submit, and it we through when the next batch were released at 3:10. While a lot of people were struggling just to get one in their cart, mine was already there and one of my attempts must have happened at just the right time.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, that was similar with me - I just got mine 30 minutes earlier.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Thanks
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Gamestop has the Series X up for sale right now. You have to do the all access option which comes out to $37 a month. I was able to order one.

Here's a link

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/xb ... ecmp=27411
FTE
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Xbox has also removed the subscription requirement to play free to play games online. That should broaden the appeal of both the Series X and Series S. They're really pushing everyone toward gamepass. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but I didn't like digital licenses replacing physical media either when it started. Games as a subscription will take me a while.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

And Gamestop is now out of them. It was a smooth checkout process for me. They take you to a page for the bank loan application, It took me about 2 mins to fill that out and get approved. Then it takes you to another screen to complete the sale. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Heck I already have automatic payments set up on the loan. Gamestop says I should have it in hand in 2 to 3 days.

Apparently this method doesn't sell out as quickly because the bots can't snatch them up due to the bank loan process.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Here are my initial impressions of the Series X after about a week of ownership. You should keep in mind that I have never owned an Xbox system (with the exception of a 360, that I got 10 years after it launched). I have always been a Sony, Nintendo and PC gamer.

1. Gamepass Ultimate is really great. I haven't bought a single game for the system, yet I have 12 highly rated games from a variety of genres downloaded to my system available to play. There are dozens more I'm interested in trying but I need to save the HD space.

2. The quick resume feature is awesome too. The ability to switch between games and have them load instantly right where you paused them is a feature that will be a must going forward, it's seriously great and Sony better add this feature.

3. I can easily see the Series X becoming my multiplatform system of choice simply because of gamepass ultimate with the inclusion of the EA Pass.

4. I do find it weird that the Xbox One controller and the Series X controller are the same and interchangeable, but I guess if it isn't broken why fix it? The only downside to the controller is the lack of a built in rechargeable battery.

5. I was surprised by the rewards and points system associated with Gamepass. This is something that I hadn't even heard of.

Overall I'm really liking the system. Even with Sony having a lot more quality exclusives at this point in the game I would say that the Series X is set to give Sony a run for their money this Gen.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I thought I would post all of the games I installed from Gamepass:

Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Will of the Wisp
Gears 5
Yakuza 0
Madden 21
Rory McElroy PGA Tour
Forza Horizon 4
MLB The Show 21
Sea of Thieves
Nier Automata
Dishonored 2
Star Wars Squadrons
Sunset Overdrive
The Outer Worlds

So much goodness, it's almost hard to concentrate on just a couple of games at a time.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

So far the only complaint I have with the system has to do solely with the fact that I am a long time Sony gamer. The X button for Sony has always been the bottom one. For whatever reason Xbox's X button is the left one. This has managed to make me screw up every single quick button event with an X on it. I can't reprogram my brain and fingers after 25+ years of the X button being the bottom one.

It's a silly complaint I know and I'll get over it. But it does speak as to how impressed I am with the Series X and Gamepass.
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am
4. I do find it weird that the Xbox One controller and the Series X controller are the same and interchangeable, but I guess if it isn't broken why fix it? The only downside to the controller is the lack of a built in rechargeable battery.

Overall I'm really liking the system. Even with Sony having a lot more quality exclusives at this point in the game I would say that the Series X is set to give Sony a run for their money this Gen.
This is actually a feature in my mind. Built in rechargeable batteries eventually wear down and can't hold a charge long and the controller becomes obsolete, or at least not wireless after a period of time, as well as when you need to charge it and want to be playing.

Just get some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 pm So far the only complaint I have with the system has to do solely with the fact that I am a long time Sony gamer. The X button for Sony has always been the bottom one. For whatever reason Xbox's X button is the left one. This has managed to make me screw up every single quick button event with an X on it. I can't reprogram my brain and fingers after 25+ years of the X button being the bottom one.

It's a silly complaint I know and I'll get over it. But it does speak as to how impressed I am with the Series X and Gamepass.
I'm pretty sure you can go into the controller settings and remap if you are desperate.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Scraper wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 pm So far the only complaint I have with the system has to do solely with the fact that I am a long time Sony gamer. The X button for Sony has always been the bottom one. For whatever reason Xbox's X button is the left one. This has managed to make me screw up every single quick button event with an X on it. I can't reprogram my brain and fingers after 25+ years of the X button being the bottom one.

I'm pretty sure you can go into the controller settings and remap if you are desperate.
I thought about that, but I think it would just screw me up even more down the line. I'll just try and adjust to it.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 pm
Scraper wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am

This is actually a feature in my mind. Built in rechargeable batteries eventually wear down and can't hold a charge long and the controller becomes obsolete, or at least not wireless after a period of time, as well as when you need to charge it and want to be playing.
I never noticed an issue with the rechargeable battery in my PS4 controllers wearing down, even after 6 years of decent use.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scraper wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am 4. I do find it weird that the Xbox One controller and the Series X controller are the same and interchangeable, but I guess if it isn't broken why fix it? The only downside to the controller is the lack of a built in rechargeable battery.
Depending on the source, the lack of a built in rechargeable battery is either a feature/not a bug, or it's a result of a deal with Duracell.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Scraper wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am 4. I do find it weird that the Xbox One controller and the Series X controller are the same and interchangeable, but I guess if it isn't broken why fix it? The only downside to the controller is the lack of a built in rechargeable battery.
Depending on the source, the lack of a built in rechargeable battery is either a feature/not a bug, or it's a result of a deal with Duracell.
We're all in the Matrix

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PS - ran into this nasty bug on my Series X when I tried to fire up Forza Horizons 4 this week after the patch. =https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2021/05/0 ... orkaround:
Forza Horizon 4 players have been reporting issues with the game on Xbox Series X|S, seemingly related to yesterday’s Series 35 update. While not a universal issue, those affected are simply unable to load into the game, and it crashes after the licensing splash screen.
Workaround steps, which I may try this evening, as I was getting into FH4 over the past month on the Series X (holy cow does it look fantastic!):
Xbox Series X here. I just fixed it by:
1 – Disabled instant sign on (Settings > Account > Sign-in, security & passkey > Instant sign-in)
2 – Restarted Xbox
3 – Upon restart, skipped sign in
4 – Started game
5 – Manually signed back into my account on the main menu
6 – Continued game
7 – Searched and successfully joined a session when prompted

Surrounding the patch release, the Forza Support Twitter account noted that they were investigating some crash issues for the recent Steam release, but have yet to acknowledge the Xbox Series X|S crashes.
If that works and/or they release the fix, anyone else playing FH4 still? Any good clubs/co-op interest?

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Forza Horizons Bug fixed this weekend.

However, when racing this weekend, I noticed my Series X Controller started getting the sticky Rt Trigger bug.

ProTip for new Series X/S buyers - play a racing game such as FH4 early in your ownership to surface this design issue during the warranty period. May take 10 hours or so, but FH4 is a fun game.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like MS has finally come up with a way to get in a queue that *maybe* the bots/ebay resellers won't be able to game:

Today we're introducing the Console Purchase Pilot, allowing US #XboxInsiders on Xbox One to register for a chance to reserve an Xbox Series X|S console. Check the Xbox Insider Hub on Xbox One for details. Limited space is available and not all who register will be selected.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I signed up for this. Should I be checking my Xbox daily for a notification if I get chosen to purchase one? Or will they send me an email?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:So I signed up for this. Should I be checking my Xbox daily for a notification if I get chosen to purchase one? Or will they send me an email?
As I understand it we should be getting emails if accepted.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’d better not get mine!
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Well, due to the inability to build or buy a new computer at a reasonable price, I've decided to buy an xbox series S instead.
Ordered it from Best Buy, and I'm supposed to pick it up Thursday.
This will be the first time I've bought a console since the N64, so I'm in for a pretty big upgrade. :)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am Well, due to the inability to build or buy a new computer at a reasonable price, I've decided to buy an xbox series S instead.
This will be the first time I've bought a console since the N64, so I'm in for a pretty big upgrade. :)
Make sure you subscribe to Gamepass. It's on sale right now for $1 a month for 3 months. But it's more than worth paying full price for.
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Archinerd wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am Well, due to the inability to build or buy a new computer at a reasonable price, I've decided to buy an xbox series S instead.
Make sure you subscribe to Gamepass. It's on sale right now for $1 a month for 3 months. But it's more than worth paying full price for.
Even better, buy 2 years of xbox live gold, then convert to gamepass ultimate for $1

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I bought, but have not activated a 3-month pass for $29.99. Maybe I should try returning it because that would save me $28... +some.

Edit;
Can't return it. But maybe I can just redeem it after I set up my account at the cheaper price?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:57 pm I bought, but have not activated a 3-month pass for $29.99. Maybe I should try returning it because that would save me $28... +some.

Edit;
Can't return it. But maybe I can just redeem it after I set up my account at the cheaper price?
Yup. You can get either 2 or 3 years of GamePass ultimate converted from standard xBox Gold currently (dunno the number).

JCC

Post by JCC »

I would think redeeming it later would work.

At one point, I would have guessed I would never buy a non-Nintendo console again. However, my gaming PC is now 6 years old. I have no idea when I will be able to build a replacement. So, if/when the XBox Series X becomes easy to get, I will seriously consider getting one. I don't think I would buy any games at all, just sub for gamepass whenever I am using it. $500 for a 4K capable LR gaming system is appealing to me now that I have an OLED. 4K gaming PCs are much more expensive - even when not having crisis level microchip shortages.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Basically what I decided.
But Series X are almost as hard to get as gaming PC's, so I decided I would be perfectly happy with the cheaper S.
The only thing I really feel like I'm missing out on is the 4k gaming... but I bet it's not that big of a difference anyway.
naednek

Post by naednek »

it's been almost a year since i had a similar offer, and sadly not much has changed on what games they offered. :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
JCC

Post by JCC »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 pm Basically what I decided.
But Series X are almost as hard to get as gaming PC's, so I decided I would be perfectly happy with the cheaper S.
The only thing I really feel like I'm missing out on is the 4k gaming... but I bet it's not that big of a difference anyway.
I would say they are even harder to get right now. I see gaming PC's that I can order on Best Buy. Not that I would. I am still wrestling with when/if I want to build my next PC and what kind it would be. Building a 4K capable one signficantly increases the cost. My current gaming PC is in a bedroom upstairs. I am trying to wrestle with whether I am going to stick with that arrangment or try to have something in the LR instead. Hence the appeal of the Series X. If I decide to go whole hog on a 4K gaming PC AND move it to my LR then I am probably going to have to go for small form factor which increases the cost even more. I thought I would be sticking with 1080p gaming for at least one more PC, and then I got my OLED which is so fantastic I would really like to see some 4K gaming goodness on it! (LOL)

In any event, I am guessing the Series X will be easy to get sooner than high end video cards (due to fucking cryptocurrency) - but that's just speculation on my part. Thankfully, I am not anxious for either. It's just a fancy for me at this point.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just snagged an x through the console pilot program. I lucked out since I received no email notification and just happened to check my chat messages this morning to clear a spam friend request. I switched over to chat history accidentally and there was a notification from Microsoft that they were holding an x for me until the 23rd. It was sent two days ago. So I would have lost this chance had I not inadvertently found the notification.

They really need to change the way they handle that.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got my xbox series x yesterday and promptly set it up last night and started moving over some games from an external drive i had hooked to my xbox one x. I also picked up Cyberpunk 2077 on disc as it was 20 bucks on sale yesterday at Best Buy.

So far, my impressions aren't really that good.

First up: Assassin's Creed Valhalla is unplayable. The HDR is whacked in the game. Menus and cut scenes are fine, but the moment you get into the game and even slightly look at the sun, the screen just becomes a giant flashlight. Nothing is visible until you turn away, but even then there are artifacts every now and then. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from download, but no go.

Secondly, Cyberpunk 2077 has this weird problem that all the hud elements have some weird pixelation thing going on behind them. They're very distracting. They're readable, but anything that is part of the hud just looks weird and they're a bit hard to read.

Other than that, Read Dead Redemption 2 works...but looks very washed out.

Other games seem fine though. So I doubt it's the console itself. However, I'm seriously considering just sending it back for a refund and going back to my trusty xbox one x. Everything just worked with that.

Anyone else have these issues? :?
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Could it be some weird interaction with your TV settings? Although I don't think that would explain the artifacts you're seeing in AC.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's what I'm thinking is the problem. It just bothers me that it's the same settings as that used by my Xbox One X for years without any issues.

One thing I didn't try is a full power off and on of my TV (instead of suspend, which is what the power button does if you don't hold it down for a few seconds). That has helped with other issues in the past with video.

It's a Sony XBR65850c. HDR was added via a firmware update after it was released, so it's a good 5 years old at this point. Still, the HDR looked great on my One X.

I'll also try another cable, although I doubt that would just selectively cause issues.
Covfefe!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They probably aren't checking compatibility with five year old TV's. Which is ridiculous but it saves them money and let's them get away with 'you need a new TV".
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say that playing Far Cry 4 on an Xbox Series X with the Auto HDR, 2 second load times and the FPS boost almost made my jaw drop.

I tested about 7 or 8 games yesterday/this morning and those two (ac valhalla and cyberpunk 2077) were the only two with any issues. Red Dead Redemption 2 did look either washed out or over saturated most of the time, but i've read that's a common problem with the game on the new gen consoles. I can probably get a better image through tweaking.

I'm going to do a full reboot of my tv tonight after work and see if that helps. I know in the past that's helped with connectivity issues. I may also try fiddling with my tv's inner settings for HDMI. I'll also try plugging directly into one of my tv's compatible hdmi ports and circumnavigate the AV I've got it plugged into.

I also started the download for Dark Alliance before leaving for work this morning. Since it's listed as another X/S game, I'm going to give that one a try tonight to see if I have issues with it too. If not, I'm going to assume it's a setting on my TV or an incompatibility issue between the console and my TV. I doubt it's the console itself, as I said. Otherwise I would see issues with more games, I would think.

However, if Dark Alliance has issues, I think I may open a trouble ticket with Microsoft.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Hep, are you using a high-speed HDMI cable? Believe it or not, the speed of the cable does matter for things like Apple TV 4K, particularly if you are using HDR.

Your TV shouldn't have an issue. My Sony Bravia X900E doesn't have an issue with HDR on the PS5.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm using the 2.1 HDMI cable that came with the console for my arc connection on the AV. My tv is a Sony XBR65850C (2015 model) so it only supports HDMI 2.0 though. Still, that shouldn't result in the issues I'm seeing on those games I mentioned.

But I'll try a new HDMI cable on my tv out to av in for giggles. You never know. All it takes is one right solution. :)
Covfefe!