Xbox Series X & Series S

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: Xbox Series X & Series S

Post by Kurth »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 am Upgrading to a 4K TV was one of the single best decisions (with some of the biggest immediate payoffs). I didn't go a super high end 4K TV (it is not an OLED) and we also didn't go super big (we moved the couch closer). But the difference in just normal TV watching and gaming was highly noticeable (enough that I also had to get the PS4 Pro later to take full advantage of the TV).

I am a big fan of Sony TVs. I like their color range, refresh rates, price, and usability. The one thing that will frustrate you no matter what TV you buy is the lack of HDMI ports. It seems like the newer TVs are greatly reducing the number of ports, for reasons unknown. And be careful if you decide to go with an HDMI switch to increase your number of ports - they can often limit your refresh rate (some to 30hz and others at 60hz), particularly with a 4K signal.
I really wanted to go big with a 75” set, but the price point for one that’s tricked out enough (4K/120hz, hdmi2.1, VRR, etc) to take full advantage of the next gen consoles is just too rich for my blood.

So I’m deciding between a very nice 65” set and a 75” set that is solid but makes some compromises.

Right now, the 65” set in the lead is the Sony X900H. Never had a Sony TV before, but it gets great reviews, and it’s currently on sale at $999 (down from $1,399).

The 75” option is the new TCL Series 6 set which checks all the boxes except for 4K at 120hz. It doesn’t have HDMI 2.1, so it’s bandwidth limited and caps output at 4K at 60hz or 1440P at 120hz. It goes for $1,399 list, but I’m expecting to see some aggressive Prime Day and Black Friday discounts which might bring it down under $1K, which is my absolute price ceiling. It also gets great reviews, even in a head-to-head comparison with the above-mentioned Sony X900H.

Another issue I have is that while the 75" set would fit in the space I have, it really would be outsized. The 65" set is probably the better size for the space . . . but I'm so tempted to go with what would be a really big size upgrade over the old 55" Vizio I have right now.

I'm thinking I might go grab the Sony now while it's on sale at Costco and just hold it for a while. Costco has a 90 day return policy, so I could just keep it unopened until the Prime Day and Black Friday deals pass and either hold on to it or return it if I see a better option.

Thoughts?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

My brother is going to be getting an Xbox Series X (the new one) for Christmas. Best Buy is having a sale on Madden games. Will the Standard one run on the system? What is the difference between the Standard and the Series X versions?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:14 pm My brother is going to be getting an Xbox Series X (the new one) for Christmas. Best Buy is having a sale on Madden games. Will the Standard one run on the system? What is the difference between the Standard and the Series X versions?
For one, the standard appears to be for the XBOX One which would depend on backward compatibility support to run on the Series X and presumably the Series X version would run natively on the Series X but not at all on the One.

Edit: it looks like the Series X version actually includes a copy of the XBOne version. Also the standard version you are linking is to Madden 20 (ie last year's release) and the Series X is to Madden 21.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:17 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:14 pm My brother is going to be getting an Xbox Series X (the new one) for Christmas. Best Buy is having a sale on Madden games. Will the Standard one run on the system? What is the difference between the Standard and the Series X versions?
For one, the standard appears to be for the XBOX One which would depend on backward compatibility support to run on the Series X and presumably the Series X version would run natively on the Series X but not at all on the One.

Edit: it looks like the Series X version actually includes a copy of the XBOne version. Also the standard version you are linking is to Madden 20 (ie last year's release) and the Series X is to Madden 21.
Why yes, that is the Standard 2020 version. Doh!

So backwards compatibility isn't guaranteed? That's a bummer. Thanks for catching it!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't know the state of or promises on backwards compatibility. It has never been an area of concern for me so I don't bother myself with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

XBox One Series X is backwards compatible.
Hodor.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

not all games are, but most will be
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

So Walmart canceled my Series X order without explanation. Called them: basically sorry we oversold.

So now my son's ENTIRE CHRISTMAS is effectively fucked. Fuck you 2020. Fuck you.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

msduncan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:16 pm So Walmart canceled my Series X order without explanation. Called them: basically sorry we oversold.

So now my son's ENTIRE CHRISTMAS is effectively fucked. Fuck you 2020. Fuck you.
I would say there's still a good chance you could find one after launch but before Christmas. Hopefully, but yeah that sucks on Walmarts part.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Eeek. That really sucks. After that email that Amazon sent out, I'm worried a similar thing might happen to me for the PS5. Or, if they don't outright cancel, give an estimated ship date so far out from the launch date that it is effectively cancelled.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I posted this in the PS5 thread, but for anyone that pre-ordered from Amazon and want to check your shipping date:
I got my shipping estimate from Amazon: expected to arrive on Nov. 12. 8-) A trick I saw that worked for me if you don't have a shipping estimate (also works for Xbox): click on your order then click update payment. You don't have to change anything but once it was refreshed I had my ship date.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:20 pm I posted this in the PS5 thread, but for anyone that pre-ordered from Amazon and want to check your shipping date:
I got my shipping estimate from Amazon: expected to arrive on Nov. 12. 8-) A trick I saw that worked for me if you don't have a shipping estimate (also works for Xbox): click on your order then click update payment. You don't have to change anything but once it was refreshed I had my ship date.
Worked for me, too, on Amazon for my preordered Series X. Now scheduled to arrive on launch day.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Looking forward to getting the Series X on Tuesday assuming Amazon comes through, but a little bummed at the lack of launch titles that actually take advantage of the new console's capabilities. I'm thinking AC Valhalla is really the only game coming out in November that interests me.

If you're getting a Series X, what are you planning to play first?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:08 am Looking forward to getting the Series X on Tuesday assuming Amazon comes through, but a little bummed at the lack of launch titles that actually take advantage of the new console's capabilities. I'm thinking AC Valhalla is really the only game coming out in November that interests me.

This is the reason why I'm not too bummed that I didn't get a pre-order. I can wait a little bit to buy it. I'm still definitely going to get it for the All Access Pass alone. But my PS5 will be playing Demon's Souls and AC Valhalla on Thursday instead of the XBOXSX.

With that said If I could have found a pre-order of the series X with the all access option I would have pulled the trigger. The thing is I wouldn't have bought any games, I would just go with the all access options.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:01 am
Kurth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:08 am Looking forward to getting the Series X on Tuesday assuming Amazon comes through, but a little bummed at the lack of launch titles that actually take advantage of the new console's capabilities. I'm thinking AC Valhalla is really the only game coming out in November that interests me.

This is the reason why I'm not too bummed that I didn't get a pre-order. I can wait a little bit to buy it. I'm still definitely going to get it for the All Access Pass alone. But my PS5 will be playing Demon's Souls and AC Valhalla on Thursday instead of the XBOXSX.

With that said If I could have found a pre-order of the series X with the all access option I would have pulled the trigger. The thing is I wouldn't have bought any games, I would just go with the all access options.
My son just tells me that in all his pre-order efforts, we may be getting two Series Xs, one from Amazon and one from Walmart. If that comes to pass, and you want to take one off my hands rather than me returning it, let me know.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 pm
Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:01 am

My son just tells me that in all his pre-order efforts, we may be getting two Series Xs, one from Amazon and one from Walmart. If that comes to pass, and you want to take one off my hands rather than me returning it, let me know.
I might take you up on that. Let me know if it happens.
FTE
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

You got it. I'll PM you when I know. Right now, Amazon is showing delivery tomorrow, and Walmart is showing deliver in December (but apparently that may be off and it may be arriving tomorrow as well). If I end up with 2, happy to send one of them to you at cost + shipping.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

entire backwards compatible list for Xbox Series X (and Series S, if on non-physical format)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... ies-x-6400
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My buddy's came in with a scary issue in which his controller overheated within a couple of minutes of putting an AA battery in. He tried it with two different brands and the battery got so hot he couldn't remove it by hand. Recharge pack seems to work fine. He's going to put in for a replacement.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dang it - had one in my cart from Walmart, filled out all the info, got the Place Order button - and it said they were out. Why have a cart and take 10 minutes to fill out if they can sell it out from under you???
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:38 pm You got it. I'll PM you when I know. Right now, Amazon is showing delivery tomorrow, and Walmart is showing deliver in December (but apparently that may be off and it may be arriving tomorrow as well). If I end up with 2, happy to send one of them to you at cost + shipping.
If this happens and Scraper passes, I'd gladly take it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I meant to update on this, but, unbeknownst to me, my son mentioned the extra Series X to my sister who claimed it for my brother-in-law.

Sorry, but I'd rather risk your wrath than my sisters! :)

Good luck in tracking one down. I'm hearing there are going to be some stock refreshes for Black Friday sales.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 pm I meant to update on this, but, unbeknownst to me, my son mentioned the extra Series X to my sister who claimed it for my brother-in-law.

Sorry, but I'd rather risk your wrath than my sisters! :)

Good luck in tracking one down. I'm hearing there are going to be some stock refreshes for Black Friday sales.
Lol, no problem.

I am curious to know what series x games are currently available on gamepass? Anyone know?
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

stessier wrote:Dang it - had one in my cart from Walmart, filled out all the info, got the Place Order button - and it said they were out. Why have a cart and take 10 minutes to fill out if they can sell it out from under you???
Same thing happened to me...had one in my cart, but couldn't get the order to complete. The first two times I submitted, it gave an error, and the third time it was no longer in stock. I already had a walmart account with all my info stored (including my credit card), so it should have just been a matter of confirming and submitting the order, but the website seemed too overwhelmed to work correctly. I would up spending almost 15 minutes struggling with the website, thinking that I might have been in luck because I had one in my cart, only to find out that I was too slow. Frustrating
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My impressions after messing around with it for a week (between the kids hogging it):

Quite simply it's not revolutionary (yet) - I don't own any launch titles, so everything I've played has been last-gen or simply optimized. Even though the optimized stuff looks good, nothing has really blown me away graphically.

However, my God does the thing just WORK. It's like having an Xbox One that actually works perfectly, makes no noise, is fast and responsive at all times, and never has issues pairing my controller. After fighting with a finicky Xbox One for months (that eventually died), it's an absolute joy to deal with.

I also didn't realize how much I'd love the fast game switching. It was a feature I didn't think I'd ever use, but after playing games with my kids who want to jump from Lego Indiana Jones to Tony Hawk to Minecraft in the same gaming session, it's been fantastic to just jump between stuff with no hassle.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 pm
I also didn't realize how much I'd love the fast game switching.
Steam should steal this feature. i would be super into anything equivalent to 'removing a cartridge and putting in another' in my own game library
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Scraper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 pm I am curious to know what series x games are currently available on gamepass? Anyone know?
  • Ark Survival Evolved
  • Cross Code
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • Gonner
  • Grounded (Early Access)
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • No Man’s Sky
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Planet Coaster
  • Tetris Effect Connected
  • The Touryst
  • We Happy Few
stessier

Post by stessier »

They are popping in and out of stock on Walmart right now. I just got one!! :)
disarm

Post by disarm »

stessier wrote:They are popping in and out of stock on Walmart right now. I just got one!! :)
I got one from Walmart today as well...supposed to be delivered by January 8th!
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:16 pm They are popping in and out of stock on Walmart right now. I just got one!! :)
This didn't exactly work out as planned - they canceled my order. Over the next 30 minutes, I got two more and those were canceled as well. I was trying to get one for my brother, so my shipping address wasn't matching the credit card address. The charges went through, but it was still canceled. My brother was able to get one, though, so the story had a happy ending. He only got to the payment option once and it worked first try. As of 5 hours after the order, it was still active and showing arrival on Jan 8th. I got cancelation emails within 1 minute of placing the order, so I think he's good.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I've been a little paranoid that my Walmart order would be canceled, but it's been more than 24 hours and no bad news yet. My credit card was charged immediately after the order went through, and my order status still says 'Preparing to Ship' for arrival by 1/8. I won't feel totally safe until I get a shipping notice though.
Last edited by disarm on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

disarm wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:54 pm I've been a little paranoid that my Walmart order would be canceled, but it's been more than 24 hours and no bad news yet. My credit card was charged immediately after the order went through, and my order status still says 'Preparing to Ship's for arrival by 1/8. I won't feel totally safe until I get a shipping notice though.
My brother's has the same status. I'd be pretty confident at this point.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My brother just got an update that his is now due between 12/18-12/19 and they gave him a FedEx tracking number. So you might want to check on yours. :)

Edit: And the tracking says it is on the truck and out for delivery. A very Merry Christmas indeed!
Edit 2: And delivered. w00t!
disarm

Post by disarm »

That's awesome. Mine still says 'Preparing Order'...
disarm

Post by disarm »

My Series X is in the mail, set for FedEx delivery on Monday...which, knowing FedEx, probably means sometime next summer. At least it's officially on the way though!
stessier

Post by stessier »

disarm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:11 am My Series X is in the mail, set for FedEx delivery on Monday...which, knowing FedEx, probably means sometime next summer. At least it's officially on the way though!
Yay!
disarm

Post by disarm »

And delivered today! I'm currently copying everything on my Xbox One X that wasn't already on an external drive to my portable drive so that I can just plug and play on the Series X. I'll probably transfer the games I'm actively playing to the Series X internal storage to take advantage of fast loading once I disconnect the old Xbox later tonight. Can't wait to try the new box!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t think you could play games from an external drive on the series X? I thought you had to buy their Microsoft branded ssd?
He won. Period.
disarm

Post by disarm »

hepcat wrote:I didn’t think you could play games from an external drive on the series X? I thought you had to buy their Microsoft branded ssd?
Backward compatible games can be played off a standard external drive, but with the caveat of losing a lot of the increased loading speed. Xbox Series games have to be played off either the internal storage or the special Microsoft/Seagate SSD.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, good to know. I can deal with slower load times for a few games, so that won’t be as much an issue when I finally do pull the trigger on a Series X.
He won. Period.