Gris, artsy indie puzzle platformer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Gris, artsy indie puzzle platformer

Post by Hipolito »

I recently gave this game a try. Gris is a puzzle platformer with a beautiful, evocative art style and a moody soundtrack. Playing it reminded me of Journey, though that's a pretty different game (3D instead of 2D).

Enlarge Image

Gris begins with a woman singing and standing on the palm of a stone giant. Suddenly, she loses her voice and the giant crumbles.

The game is about how she deals with grief, picking up the pieces of her life and (literally) bringing color back to her world. You can even unlock 5 achievements based on the Kübler-Ross stages of grief, if you find the secret rooms. But I'm not sure I would have realized the game was about grief had I not read about it before. There is no narration or dialogue in the game. I think a bit of voiceover by the protagonist, like Aquaria had, could have helped solidify the theme.

Though you can't die or make the game unwinnable, the game can be pretty challenging. There are a number of tricky jumps. If you fall, you'll be spending a minute or two climbing back up and trying again. It can also be tough just knowing where to go next, especially late in the game as the levels get larger and more elaborate.

I became tired of the jumping and navigation challenges, stopped playing a couple of levels away from the end, and watched the rest on YouTube. I do see, however, why this game is a critical and commercial success that resonates with a lot of people. It depicts the effort and persistence needed to get through grief, and how there are going to be setbacks along the way. The ending of the game implies that grief is not about getting over a loss, but developing the strength to live a happy life in spite of the loss.
LordMortis

Re: Gris, artsy indie puzzle platformer

Post by LordMortis »

I saw a review of this a while ago. It was stunning to watch (and even listen to). I wanted to play but I don't do puzzley games. I'd find myself empathizing a bit much with not restoring color. I meant to get back and watch a playthrough, hopefully without commentary, like a movie.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I loved this game. One of my favorites. Simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally gave this a look because I am between games and initially I was bored, then confused, then frustrated, then happy and finally moved. The 5 stages of a puzzle platformer?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

coopasonic wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am I finally gave this a look because I am between games and initially I was bored, then confused, then frustrated, then happy and finally moved. The 5 stages of a puzzle platformer?
Haha, nice! I guess I never got beyond the frustration stage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:36 pm I loved this game. One of my favorites. Simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting.
+1, I thought it was a wonderful game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but my daughter loved it.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."