There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Post by Hipolito »

The less you know about There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, the more you'll enjoy it. The fun is in discovering what it is. If you want to go into the game cold, you shouldn't read past this paragraph. Though I'll warn that while its reception has been positive ("overwhelmingly positive" on Steam), I found it fairly tedious. And while it did make me laugh at times, I think the humor will appeal more to kids and teens.

So I'll now describe the game and what I liked and disliked about it, without giving too much away.

You can think of it as a retro 2-D point-and-click homage to The Stanley Parable. It's a metagame laden with jokes and secrets. The narrator is high-strung, passive-aggressive, and mispronounces many words with his throaty Russian accent. I eventually rather liked him.

There is an incremental hint system that I used fairly often, as the puzzles can be pretty challenging. They sometimes require good timing and modest arcade skills, too. There is a lot of satire of gameplay mechanics that often annoy us in other games. Unfortunately, the game employs those same mechanics to an aggravating degree. It took me 7 hours to beat the game, and I felt it overstayed its welcome.

Not that there weren't bright parts. Chapter 5 in particular was innovative, emotional, and quite funny. It was almost worth putting up with all the game's faults. While I'm kind of down on this game, most others seem to like it. I didn't even like the widely adored Stanley Parable, so I'm probably not the one you want to trust. But if you like comedic metagames, you should like this one.
jztemple2

Re: There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

That's the one!

Huh, one of the Steam reviewers quoted Maya Angelou. He really likes this game!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ARISE!!

I picked this up today, since it was on sale. It’s a quite clever, very funny, and generally enjoyable game, dragged down significantly by completely nonsensical puzzles. It’s not even that they’re challenging, most of them simply make no sense at all. As in “why on earth would I ever have thought to do that combination of things to progress?”.

It’s “glue the purple cell phone to the left paw of the spiky cat” sort of puzzles, taken to the nth degree. I’ve simply resorted to having a walkthrough open at all times, as it’s damn near impossible to figure out otherwise.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm tempted to pick it up on this part of the about alone
Discover the Top 10 best walls. The fourth one will surprise you!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Seems very much like a follow up to Pony Island, added to my Wishlist!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 pm Seems very much like a follow up to Pony Island, added to my Wishlist!
I thought Pony Island was fantastic.

There Is No Game, much less so.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.