Diablo II: Resurrected

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Then I'm not sure why there was even a question. If we were just talking about a "graphical" engine, why would there be a question as to whether the original "engine" was being used? Obviously, in going from 2d to 3d the same "engine" isn't being used. I would think that was obvious, right? :)
It would be obvious, which I why we argued when you seemed to be implying otherwise. We know now that you were just referring to things a little differently than the norm and it caused miscommunication. So we're all good. Peace and love. :happy-hippy:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:24 pm because it would be suuuuper unlikely that the entire D2 codebase had been overhauled to support 3D rendering, along with the tons of other necessary updates - which is what 'No, this is using the Diablo 2 engine.' implies.
No,it doesn't imply that at all. Maybe you inferred that, but that's not what I was implying :) Common sense says that the graphics engine is different - you can't overhaul a 2d engine to make it 3d, any more than you can overhaul a internal combustion engine to run on nuclear fuel.
so no, that is not the case here. how much has the original codebase been modified? we don't know. it definitely has not had the graphics rendering changed - BUT it's like the old code base is wearing an exoskeleton wrapper, to oversimplify this. and the old graphical rendering is also still being used? semantics aside, it's an interesting idea, kind of a hybrid nailing together. it's a solution that's only possible through the power of today's CPUs and GPUs.
It's pretty clear that not much of the original code base has been changed from what has been said. You can toggle a switch in game and play D2 in 2d - the same original experience. The same "bugs" and exploits are still there. Other than a common stash and the option (toggleable) to have gold pick up automatically, it appears that very little, if anything has changed. The developers have actually said this. It's got a new 3d system running on top of the original code.

Point is, it's not D2 ported to D3 as some suggested. So call us both wrong if you want :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:36 pm .Peace and love. :happy-hippy:
Peace and love? This is Diablo!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Love can bloom even from the fetid remains of a putrid gorger.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I was one of the people who thought they were just going to recreate D2 in the D3 engine. Considering they have access to the original resources, it seemed like it could be possible. Having watched some of the 'deep dive' video, it's clear that's not what they did. It sounds like they kept D2 as it is, but have created a 3d renderer which overlays the 3d graphics onto D2. They created 3d versions of everything D2 shows you and that's what players will see when they play the 3d version of the game. The game itself is the same.

In a way, THIS is what I've always wanted when developers do remakes of classic games. Give me the classic game just with updated modern graphics. Usually what they do is update the graphics, but then they can't resist making changes in other areas too. Resurrected sounds like it's about as close to D2 w/3d graphics as you can get.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Everyone else is complaining that they didn't change it, which is something I don't understand. Isn't that what D3 is for??
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And D4. Short of quashing bugs, remasters shouldn't change much other than the sensory elements.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems like a good remaster ...not too much but enough and some QoL thrown in. But its not worth near $40 to me. Maybe $10. But thats me and some people I know. But it being Blizzard Im sure they'll sell plenty.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been trying to get D2 to work on Windows 10 for along time now but there are too many hoops to go thru so this looks right up my alley.
I didn't care for D3 too much.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Almost impossible that its been over 20 years since D2.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

First tech alpha starts on Friday, first 2 acts, 3 classes, single player only:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo2 ... the-legend
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will consider checking this out for the graphics once the price drops, but after umpteen hours I have finally soured on the D2 experience. Last time I played it had devolved into exp rushes and a rune quest sim. When I finally got some nice rune-improved items, I played for a few more hours then quit.

I actually went back to D1 and enjoyed it more, especially since gold is actually worth something.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rittchard wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 pm First tech alpha starts on Friday, first 2 acts, 3 classes, single player only:

Thanks for the reminder, I opted in this morning. Fingers crossed.

I remember getting access to one of the early limited D2 betas, which was about the coolest damn thing ever.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 pm
rittchard wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 pm First tech alpha starts on Friday, first 2 acts, 3 classes, single player only:

Thanks for the reminder, I opted in this morning. Fingers crossed.

I remember getting access to one of the early limited D2 betas, which was about the coolest damn thing ever.
At the risk of turning this into a reminiscing thread, I remember when the D1 demo came out. I was visiting my Dad who had recently moved halfway across the country after my parents split up. Back then bandwidth was still a fairly hot commodity (sorry, Smoove), so we went in to my Dad's office on a Saturday and grabbed it via their super-speedy T1. Spent a *lot* of time on that demo, and then the full game obviously, but I still have a very clear memory of that day in the office. The opening chord strums still get an immediate reaction out of me.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm The opening chord strums still get an immediate reaction out of me.
I've probably mentioned this before, but that song is what got me into Bauhaus and goth music in general.

I had never really listened to them before, and a review of the original Diablo said something about "a soundtrack that sounds like a Bauhaus album". I immediately started checking them out, and it opened up my interest a huge subgenre of music that I had previously been completely unaware of.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm
At the risk of turning this into a reminiscing thread
it fits with the thread subject. reissue and re-release! they really should have overhauled the first game, tho. that one would require an actual re-write, i feel.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

In case you missed it and may have interest, I do recommend trying Anima (mobile) if you are feeling nostalgic about Diablo.

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=98147
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So it will be an anti demon hunter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So... I got invited to the weekend alpha. And then I was away from my computer all weekend. :cry: :lol:

Oh well, Rhykker's got a 5-hour stream posted to YouTube for each of the three classes. So, it looks a lot like Diablo 2... only prettier.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nice graphics, and the shared stash is a huge improvement.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It definitely is, but, and not to be a broken record, but as it doesn't go as far as some of the mods/private servers in terms of convenience, I just keep wondering whether the pretty visuals are enough to get me to downgrade the rest of the experience. I appreciate the desire to keep it as close to a pure experience as possible I guess, and just reduce the need for muling. But does anyone find having to sacrifice inventory spots for charms to be fun? Especially when identifying desirable items can be so difficult. They're definitely preserving a more old-school experience, for better and worse.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I remember filling my entire inventory with magic find charms and still never found anything noteworthy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 pm I remember filling my entire inventory with magic find charms and still never found anything noteworthy.
Little did you know at the time, the real treasures were all the memories.... :ninja:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:09 pm It definitely is, but, and not to be a broken record, but as it doesn't go as far as some of the mods/private servers in terms of convenience, I just keep wondering whether the pretty visuals are enough to get me to downgrade the rest of the experience. I appreciate the desire to keep it as close to a pure experience as possible I guess, and just reduce the need for muling. But does anyone find having to sacrifice inventory spots for charms to be fun? Especially when identifying desirable items can be so difficult. They're definitely preserving a more old-school experience, for better and worse.
Perhaps, but if they'd implemented all of the mod features, those of us who wanted the experience we loved so much 20 years ago would be out of luck. As it stands, if the mods really are that popular, they can be recreated in the new engine giving the best of both worlds.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've tried installing the original a couple of times in the last few years and no go, except for jumping thru a bunch of rings that I did not care to do.
So just a version that will work on my pc is good enough for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Diablo II: Resurrected

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 pm I remember filling my entire inventory with magic find charms and still never found anything noteworthy.
Little did you know at the time, the real treasures were all the memories.... :ninja:
Thanks. Literally spewed coffee when I read that.

I’m changing pants because of you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At least it wasn't the carpet this time.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:21 am Perhaps, but if they'd implemented all of the mod features, those of us who wanted the experience we loved so much 20 years ago would be out of luck. As it stands, if the mods really are that popular, they can be recreated in the new engine giving the best of both worlds.
Sure, I'm just speaking personally. That said, the experience from 20 years ago is still there right now (dbt's issues getting it running aside). And I'm honestly curious whether you'd want to go back after experiencing some of the convenience mods.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 am
Unagi wrote:

This makes me question exactly whence this coffee spewed...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 am
Unagi wrote:

This makes me question exactly whence this coffee spewed...
Obviously you are not a proctologist.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But he plays one on TV.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A friend of mine got in the tech alpha but didn't know it was weekend only. He got an hour or so yesterday and the had connection issues. Went to the forums and was excoriated for "wasting" an alpha key and being a dumbass by alpha key white knights and then the thread devolved further when someone questioned the servers or something. Flame war city.

Good to see they got the forums spot-on in the remaster too.

:lol:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I must be missing the part where if you're unable/don't plan to use a key, you can send it back to Blizzard and they'll share it with the most deserving person who doesn't have one. :lol:

I mean, unless they really could be shared... then I'd feel bad for not giving mine to someone here. But from the email I presumed they were account-linked and pre-selected.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Semi-related side note. I thought I had created a thread before about this but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I was getting a real Diablo 2 itch from all the Resurrected hype, so I decided to go back to my favorite Grim Dawn mod, Reign of Terror.

If you haven't heard of this, it's basically a complete mod of GD to Diablo 2. They use all the old sound effects and music, but the graphics have been re-imagined and re-built in the GD engine. It's a pretty incredible translation and they've done an absolutely amazing job IMHO. It's not just nostalgic, though, the gameplay is a very interesting hybrid mix between GD and D2, depending on how you play. You're still allowed a dual class mix, but of course you can choose to use D2 classes only if you want. Apparently the current version is balanced better for the D2 classes, but being a GD fan as well, I chose to use a GD secondary.

Because it's GD-based, there's actually *more* content than D2, since you can also run the endgame content from GD. It's kind of the perfect companion to D2R, since you get all the QoL improvements from GD as well as the excellent 3D graphics and gameplay, mixed with a ton of D2 nostalgia. If you only want classic D2, obviously D2R is where you want to be.

If you are a fan of either game, but particularly if you are a fan of both, I'd highly recommend it.

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t ... rror/35347

https://www.reignofterrorgd.com/
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I remember that being posted. I didn't take note of it then as I had uninstalled GD but, owing to a nostalgia post, I've since reinstalled it and have been playing with different alts again.

Just finished installing this and about to fire it up. Thanks!
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I played this way too long ago to determine how true it is to the original but am definitely enjoying this add-on to GD.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jolor wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:19 pm I played this way too long ago to determine how true it is to the original but am definitely enjoying this add-on to GD.
It's a true hybrid experience IMHO. I definitely recognize the GD feel of motion and combat, and the influence on maps. Remember D2 uses more tile-based kind of mapping that allows for randomness. GD maps are fixed but they tend to wind back and forth and are larger/longer in that sense. The sound effects, music, mobs, etc are all pure D2. The artwork I'd say is more of a mix; in some places I'd argue it's more detailed and artistic than D2, but it will be interesting to compare with D2R. Definitely the same areas will evoke the same "feel" as the original areas in almost every case.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So I opted in:

Thank You! We’ve recorded your opt-in to the Diablo II: Resurrected Technical Alpha

Now what?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image