[VR] Asgard's Wrath

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

[VR] Asgard's Wrath

Post by Blackhawk »

So, along with the free experiences and Beat Saber, this has been my 'main' game over the last few weeks. it is, unfortunately, Oculus-only. Asgard's Wrath is one of the first full-length AAA-style games made specifically for VR. It's a first person RPG. Aesthetically, it is Skyrim with a strong Viking theme, all with a fair dose of inspiration from the Thor movies. Gameplay wise, it's 1/3 Skyrim and 2/3 Zelda.

So, here's the premise, keeping any spoilers minor and to the first hour or so of the 30-hour game. You're a new Norse god, just formed. Under the guidance of another god you're sent to do Important Stuff. During regular gameplay you have the ability to enter into certain beings - heroes - possessing them and fighting as them. That's where the ground-level gameplay takes place, and probably 80% of the content. The gameplay is, as I said, a mix of Skyrim (exploration and combat) and Zelda (puzzle solving with an arsenal of tools that grows over time.) And like Zelda, you'll often find yourself in a location where advancing requires some tool you don't yet have access to, requiring you to leave and return later on after you've advanced further in the story.

As far as Skyrim part goes, it's a blast. Everything is designed from the ground up for VR. As the first character, a shield maiden, I walk around the areas in first person. If I see an herb or a bit of food I want to pick up, I reach down, pick it up, and drop it into my pouch (release it near my right thigh.) If I see a couple of enemies, I reach over my left shoulder with my left hand, grab, and pull out my shield. My right hand reaches across and grabs near my left hip, pulling out my sword. Blocking with the shield, parrying with the sword, swinging, stabbing is all done by actually making the appropriate movements while holding your weapons. One of the guys is an archer. I stun the guy I'm in melee with, quickly sheathe my sword, and grab my axe from my right hip, which I throw at the archer (by actually throwing it - keep the strap on your controller), then pull it back to my hand all Thor-like by pointing at it, grabbing, and making a yanking motion, then throw it back at him to finish him. I pull my sword back out and finish the melee fighter. I'm then able to loot, again by actually picking the stuff up off of the ground and putting it in my pouch. You aren't pushing buttons or activating doors here. All of the interaction is actually mimed. Pulling chains, opening doors, turning cranks, you do it all yourself by reaching out your own lazy hands, grabbing the thing, and moving it. Each hero has 'hero weapons' that are always with them, but you can also pick up and use enemy weapons. I've used swords, axes, maxes, shields, throwing axes, throwing daggers, bows, crossbows, plus enchanted versions of most of those - and I'm only part way in. And sometimes you'll meet enemy champions. These guys are a lot tougher, wearing runic armor. They are invincible until you break their armor, which requires making them made enough to make their signature attack. If you parry it, you'll stun them for a few seconds allowing your next few attacks to shear off their armor. Once it is all gone, they're vulnerable to regular damage.

You aren't alone, either. You have the ability to grab various beasts as you go, turning them into your companions. There are a dozen or so, each with a different role (ranged attacker, melee damage, tank, etc), and you can swap which one you have active as you go. Each one is also capable of overcoming certain specific obstacles in your path, so as you advance and unlock more and more companions, you'll find you can now access areas that were previously blocked.

In some of the more open areas you'll find an Altar of the Gods which allows you to turn back to your godly form. Now you're roughly the size of King Kong, towering over the level. This is used as another layer of puzzle solving, as you're now able to pick up your followers in your hand and drop them somewhere inaccessible, move massive objects (say, grabbing a hunk of wrecked ship and putting it on a broken bridge.) You can pluck birds out of the sky, sharks out of the sea, and just feel genuinely massive.

It isn't open world. It is zones, but you can backtrack at any point (and will want to once you gain new ways of bypassing obstacles.) It's done via instant fast travel from nearly anywhere to any zone (and is very reminiscent of the Bifrost from the Thor films.) So far I'm maybe a quarter to a third of the way in and I've explored beaches, catacombs, caves, villages, and halls, plus set pieces like a sea voyage. There are multiple optional dungeons. There's also Aegir's Hall, a tavern where the gods and their allies gather that acts as yor central hub. While you're there you have access to your stash, two merchants, crafting, lore, coin-bouncing and axe throwing contests for cash, a display of divine relics (the game's collectibles), and quests. And I'll be honest, the place is just cool as hell. The band is an elf, a centaur, and a... something. The blacksmith is the size of an ogre, and his assistant looks like a goblin. Getting to stand next to these creatures and see them as close to 'in real life' as you're going to get is a treat.

The game does have a few flaws. It takes a decent system to run. Melee combat is still a new thing that developers are figuring out how to implement in VR, so that isn't quite perfect. The only problem that really stands out with it is that the weapons have no weight, and the damage they do is baked into the numbers, not reliant on your swing. That means that you can take a huge, massive sword and swipe it back and forth across their face like you're speed-slapping them with it. It would have been better if they'd added some sort of a delay to the heavier weapons or taken the speed and inertia of your movements into account on the attacks. This, I believe, is one of the reasons that they added the runic armor system for enemy champions, to keep them from going down too easily (although setting the difficulty on 'mortal' removes the runic armor system from non-bosses if you don't enjoy it.)

If I you haven't gleaned it from my yapping, I'm genuinely enjoying this game. It's an absolute blast to play. If that style of game is to your liking, give it a look.

Here's the trailer:

And here's a review that I mostly agree with (their complaint about not being able to send things directly to the stash is nonsensical, and having companions break barrels is... odd.) It does give more location and entity spoilers than I did.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Re: [VR] Asagard's Wrath

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:10 pm Pulling chains, opening doors, turning cranks, you do it all yourself by reaching out your own lazy hands, grabbing the thing, and moving it. Each hero has 'hero weapons' that are always with them, but you can also pick up and use enemy weapons. I've used swords, axes, maxes, shields, throwing axes, throwing daggers, bows, crossbows, plus enchanted versions of most of those - and I'm only part way in.
Enlarge Image

"Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are my forte!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I only really used the enchanted flaming maxes.

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I can support this review of the game. My system isn't really good enough to play this at its peak; it's a bit choppy and laugh, but Holy hells is it fun!
Last edited by Hyena on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So, because I'm ignorant; no way to make it run on the Vive?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Freyland wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:59 pm So, because I'm ignorant; no way to make it run on the Vive?
All I know is that it is sold exclusively on the Oculus store. Some quick research shows that there are ways to get Oculus games to run on the Vive, but it requires workarounds and involves things that I have no direct knowledge of. Example link.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think I'm near the end of my time on Midgard (there are still other worlds I know I will be visiting.) I'm on my second hero, have fully half of the companions unlocked, and I'm still having a lot of fun. I haven't been able to play for a few days, though.

That's the thing I'm discovering about VR gaming. It takes more of an commitment to actually play, as you have to account for time to move furniture (at least in my case), string the wires, set up other stuff, and then plan on having enough time to put it back again when you're done. You also have to make sure that you can be free to actually play. For one, you'll be experiencing the equivalent of wearing a blindfold and earplugs, so if you're expecting a knock at the door, it's not really viable. And while it only takes a couple of second to get up from the PC and go do a two-minute task, interrupting VR is more involved (unstrapping the controls from your hands, removing whatever audio solution you use, removing the headset and finding a safe place to put it where it won't get stepped on or tripped over.) Don't get me wrong - the experience is 100% worth the minor hassle, but it's got more going on than simply sitting in a chair and setting your hand on the mouse.

I would not have been able to play at all while the kids were younger if there hadn't been someone else around to watch them!
Blackhawk

Re: [VR] Asgard's Wrath

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been playing a fair amount the last few days, as Caiden has been off on spring break. I really like this game. I'd previously said,
Gameplay wise, it's 1/3 Skyrim and 2/3 Zelda.
I stand by that, mostly. Skyrim might not be the best example. The look certainly reminds one of Skyrim, but gameplay wise... not so much. The combat is about halfway between Skyrim and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Blocking, parrying, and striking are all manual (although not nearly as elaborate or precise as KC.) The rest is still very heavily Zelda style puzzle solving.

I'm on the third character now, and he's my favorite so far. His gameplay is distinctive and I find his combat a ton of fun. So far, the three playable characters have been (basic mechanics described in the spoiler)
Spoiler:
The first was a straight up warrior, sword-and-board style with throwing weapons
The second was a wizard - sort of (although if you're a D&D fan, he's probably more of a cleric.) Magic staff for combat and puzzle solving, backed up with a sword. I usually ended up using the sword in my main hand and the staff in my off hand as a shield, ready to block or zap.
The third is a sort of agile light fighter with both a double-bladed spear and dual wielding, plus throwing and a crossbow. The versatility of his weapons is what makes him so fun.
There are supposed to be a couple of other characters coming up. I can't wait to see what they're like.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've stalled on this. I'm near the end, and really just need to get in and finish the damned thing. Don't get me wrong - it's a great game, and I still recommend it. But I learned my lesson: don't start long games on a new system! The sheer variety of experiences waiting for me makes it really hard to focus on sticking with a single type of experience for a long time. I want to finish and see what some of the other games are like!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought this and tried to figure out how to make it work wirelessly on the Quest. I can do steam game wireless with no problem, but oculus store games don't work the same way. Based on your descriptions I am excited about it, but not enough to play with a wire!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:27 pm I bought this and tried to figure out how to make it work wirelessly on the Quest. I can do steam game wireless with no problem, but oculus store games don't work the same way. Based on your descriptions I am excited about it, but not enough to play with a wire!
Good news and bad news? Are you using Virtual Desktop? If so, any Oculus game should work wirelessly as long as you launch it from within Virtual Desktop via the Games tab. I do it all the time, and have done it with Asgard's Wrath.

The bad news is that Asgard's Wrath streams terribly via Virtual Desktop. The general consensus is that you need to play it wired unless you want to play with really low settings. It's the only game I still hook up the wire for.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I'm putting it on hold. I'm in the last or next-to-last area. From what I've been able to determine, I have two to three hours left, depending on how many puzzles I get stuck on. Let me say: I love the game. I absolutely got my money's worth.

But I've agonized for days about finishing it. I am so close, and I really need to finish it at a visceral level... but I don't actually want to play it. I'm somewhere between burned out and looking forward to doing something else. So I'm doing that annoying human thing where I don't want to start something I do want to play because I need to finish the thing I don't want to play. And so I'm essentially not gaming out of... guilt?

Screw that. I've said it before: If your hobby isn't being fun, you're not doing it right. So I'm going to do it right, and have some fun playing something else. This will still be here when I'm ready for it, maybe even a full replay someday (maybe with a faster machine - this one is borderline for me.)