Total War Rome Remastered next month

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Total War Rome Remastered next month

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Re: Total War Rome Remastered next month

Post by Octavious »

Hmm seems like an odd thing to do considering there's a Rome 2 even if it wasn't nearly as popular as the original. They should have redone Medieval Total War 2. I'd be all over that.

There is this though:
Half-Price Offer
To celebrate the return of Rome, we have an offer for those loyal fans that already own the original game on Steam. If you already own ROME: Total War, you can purchase ROME REMASTERED for half-price until May 31st, 16:00 PDT.

For 15 bucks I might bite if people say it's worth it AND if it has mod support. Mods are what made Rome awesome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Oh man. Because I'm a giant roman history nerd (or at least I read a lot of Plutarch's Parallel Lives; note - the Russian version I read back in the day appears to have been heavily abbreviated, what a surprise), it's kind of a toss up, but I learned a lot about Roman history reading those encyclopedia entries. And also about how a single legion swept all the way from northern Italy to the Aral Sea, killing tens of thousands of poorly led cowards wearing loincloths and wielding bent swords.

I hope they kept the one distinct feature that they got rid of in all the subsequent Total War games: guys going flying off the city walls when they get killed up there. And also the "procedurally generated" speeches.

Doesn't look like they beefed up the strategic AI any, which is a shame.

Looks like they do have mod support, and cross-platform play. Even though I only used it once or twice, it was kind of cool to have a person play the opposing force in your campaign battles. I did that a couple of times for one of the Shogun (?) games, and one time completely wrecked the poor guy's archers with my cavalry and then proceeded to rout his infantry with repeated charges from the rear. Pretty sure he loaded the game after that one. I guess it's not really the kind of game that's built, at least in single player, for the player to suffer massive losses.

Although, again, the strategic AI isn't exactly stellar, loves sending piles of town guards against your elite praetorian guard.

Anyway, gonna keep an eye on this one.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell yeah. This was my favorite TW game until Warhammer came out. Hopefully Medieval 2 will be next.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:02 pm I hope they kept the one distinct feature that they got rid of in all the subsequent Total War games: guys going flying off the city walls when they get killed up there. And also the "procedurally generated" speeches.
I hope so, too. Those early TW games had a lot of personality that the later ones lacked. I look forward to crushing the Brutii. I look forward less to missions from Rome.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still remember my wife getting this for me. Can see it now sitting on Walmart's shelf back when they stocked games.

Id bet Medieval 2 is in the pipe.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

At half price I couldn't pass it up.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I got rather burned out on the TW games, they seemed like skins on the same game and really didn't do justice to the strategic and tactical issues of the time periods they ostensibly modeled.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 pm I got rather burned out on the TW games, they seemed like skins on the same game and really didn't do justice to the strategic and tactical issues of the time periods they ostensibly modeled.
I don't think that is really their goal. There are games that do that, but they don't sell well to general audiences (as they tend to be incredibly dense.) The TW games have always been a happy medium between history and gameplay, giving you a feel for the period and the iconic elements of it without bogging the player down in minutiae that most people aren't really worried about, and wouldn't get the distinctions of.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Right, then instead of running battles, you'd be spending most of your time dealing with your second in command embezzling money intended for food for your troops to pay for hookers and whatever the Roman equivalent of blow was, half your troops dying of dysentery due to poor hygiene, the senate pulling your funds to pay for a new bath house. Oh yeah, and your wife sent you a letter with an artist's rendition of the local plebeians running a train on her, so you get a -1 morale bonus for your one upcoming battle, which doesn't happen anyway because the Gauls are content to pick off individual soldiers and harass your supply train instead.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id like to have a Roman based game where you're in northern England trying to both build Hadrians Wall and fight off the Picts. Less control of battles but more like a sim of building and overall management for the army.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

"I want to see blood. I want to bathe in their blood. I want to bathe in their blood for a week! Now, kill them all!"

Best motivational speech ever. Suitable for almost any occasion. :wink:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Speaker: "I want to see blood...

CA: "Sure. Here's your Blood and Gore dlc for just $2.99"

Speaker: ...
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:18 pm Hmm seems like an odd thing to do considering there's a Rome 2 even if it wasn't nearly as popular as the original. They should have redone Medieval Total War 2. I'd be all over that.

There is this though:
Half-Price Offer
To celebrate the return of Rome, we have an offer for those loyal fans that already own the original game on Steam. If you already own ROME: Total War, you can purchase ROME REMASTERED for half-price until May 31st, 16:00 PDT.

For 15 bucks I might bite if people say it's worth it AND if it has mod support. Mods are what made Rome awesome.
How about if I own Rome 2? Do I still get the discount?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When you see the price on the store site it will tell you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, it finally came in yesterday.Didn't finish downloading until the middle of the night. Read numerous reviews and it is a mixed bag. It's basically the same game with new graphics. A few tweaks but that's about all. Rome Total War had an 85 meg patch too. Might have new graphics but it seems to be the same olde game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am Id like to have a Roman based game where you're in northern England trying to both build Hadrians Wall and fight off the Picts. Less control of battles but more like a sim of building and overall management for the army.
How about a board game that has that?

Hadrian's Wall

And you can play it solo if no one around you plays boardgames.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am Well, it finally came in yesterday.Didn't finish downloading until the middle of the night. Read numerous reviews and it is a mixed bag. It's basically the same game with new graphics. A few tweaks but that's about all. Rome Total War had an 85 meg patch too. Might have new graphics but it seems to be the same olde game.
Fundamentally, it's the same old game, however when you start a new game you can bring up a modifiers screen that list the various changes they've made under the hood, and pick and choose whether you want to play with the Classic or Remastered version for each feature.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am Well, it finally came in yesterday.Didn't finish downloading until the middle of the night. Read numerous reviews and it is a mixed bag. It's basically the same game with new graphics. A few tweaks but that's about all.
Sounds like exactly what I want in a remaster. If you're redesigning the gameplay from the ground up, it's a reboot or a sequel, not a remaster.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:27 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 am Id like to have a Roman based game where you're in northern England trying to both build Hadrians Wall and fight off the Picts. Less control of battles but more like a sim of building and overall management for the army.
How about a board game that has that?

Hadrian's Wall

And you can play it solo if no one around you plays boardgames.
We've really been enjoying Hadrian's Wall. Thumbs up!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're going to make me order it, aren't you?

I've been dancing around it for a week now.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:39 am
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am Well, it finally came in yesterday.Didn't finish downloading until the middle of the night. Read numerous reviews and it is a mixed bag. It's basically the same game with new graphics. A few tweaks but that's about all. Rome Total War had an 85 meg patch too. Might have new graphics but it seems to be the same olde game.
Fundamentally, it's the same old game, however when you start a new game you can bring up a modifiers screen that list the various changes they've made under the hood, and pick and choose whether you want to play with the Classic or Remastered version for each feature.

Enlarge Image

How does one get that screen?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:32 pm How does one get that screen?
You can access it from the "New Game" screens, using the Modifiers widget in the upper right corner. I don't know if you can access it or change the options once you've actually started playing a game.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks! It is kind of confusing as that doesn't exist in the Rome Total War but does in the Total War Rome Remastered.
I've been trying to see the difference in the two and as they had a large patch for Rome Total War I assume the two were alike and they're not. Now I can delete Rome Total War and save some much needed disk space.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949