Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by Sudy »

I think the value is going to be highly subjective here, especially for those who have played the originals to completion, and paid full price for them. I can see both sides.

The good news is that I'm sure this version will see routine 33% discounts within several months, if not 50%.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm Dark Souls Remastered (50% discount)
Kingdoms of Amaleur - ReReckoning (50% discount)
Both of these are still $40 right now.

Doesn't seem like that's a 50% discount, unless the originals were somehow $80.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 am At least 50% off. While it is "just" $60 for 3 games, some of us paid over $180 for Mass Effect 1-3. To pay $60 again for the same 3 games seem to be too much to me.
Well over that, given the DLC. I'd be surprised if I paid less than $250-$300 for all three plus DLC for the Xbox 360. $60 seems reasonable, mostly because if they had released them one game at a time for $20 each, I would have called that reasonable. Hell, I'd have considered $20 per game reasonable if it was just a non-remastered bundle of the originals + DLC.

I won't be getting it right away because $60 is a lot of money to spend, but it does seem like a good value.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 am
Grifman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm Dark Souls Remastered (50% discount)
Both of these are still $40 right now.

Doesn't seem like that's a 50% discount, unless the originals were somehow $80.
I'm not sure how quoting the retail price disproves what I said. That's the full retail price, not the price offered to people that owned the original. Just like Rome Total War's price is $29.99 but if you own the original you get 50% off. Maybe you misunderstood - I'm not saying that the remastered version should be discounted to EVERYONE, instead I am saying that previous owners should be getting a discount.

See the Forbes article here for example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... a2fb05438a
Now Bandai Namco has announced that PC players who already own the older version of the game will be able to purchase the remaster for 50% off. Without the discount, the game will cost $40. $20 makes the purchase much more reasonable for PC players who already own the game.
Last edited by Grifman on Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am You're still getting three full games and almost all its DLC here for $60. How much more of a discount do you want?
I'd like 25% to 50%. Heck, I'd take less but what really irks me is the fact that they made no offer to prior owners who supported the entire trilogy. As they say, "It's the thought that counts" and this case, there was no consideration to those who loyally supported the entire series.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:10 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am You're still getting three full games and almost all its DLC here for $60. How much more of a discount do you want?
I'd like 25% to 50%. Heck, I'd take less but what really irks me is the fact that they made no offer to prior owners who supported the entire trilogy. As they say, "It's the thought that counts" and this case, there was no consideration to those who loyally supported the entire series.
There's a weird sense of entitlement if you are irked by the fact that EA and Bioware didn't see fit to offer you a discount simply because you purchased the original games. Besides, the list of companies who don't offer "loyalty discounts" on remasters is far longer than the list of companies who did.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think part of the issue is related to the STEAM/EA/Origin split that occurred partway through the series. I own copies of ME on Origin. I played the entire series on the Xbox360. The idea of re-purchasing them again at full price (recently) as Origin sunsets is annoying. Buying a bundled remaster on STEAM after they forced me to choose years ago, also annoying.

It's the same for companies signing exclusives on Epic. After waiting 6 months to a year, I'm not interested in paying full price for an old game on new service. I'll get it eventually, but the double, triple and quadruple dipping is cumbersome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 pm I think part of the issue is related to the STEAM/EA/Origin split that occurred partway through the series.

I suspect that's right. I own the first two games on Steam and I haven't played the 3rd game yet for this reason. Not that I have any issue with Origin, it was more of an inconvenience after having the first two available on Steam. They could fix this by offering a code on Origin you could redeem on Steam for the ones you don't own there in order to complete the trilogy so that you could then get a discount for the Legendary Edition.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'll be honest, the only time I can think of in my gaming life where I got a discount on a full overhaul/remaster of a game because I owned the original was the Bioshock remasters (that were free). Everything other remaster I've paid full price for the new version. Apparently I'm playing the wrong games. :lol:

Hell, I've lost track of how many times I've bought different remastered versions of Final Fantasy games over the years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm Didn't say it always happened, said it happened for "many other games", such as:

Skyrim SE (free)
Metro Exodus Remastered (free when it soon comes out)
Rome Total War Remastered (50% discount)
Dark Souls Remastered (50% discount)
Bioshock Remastered (free)

are all recent examples.
I can add others to the list:

Burnout Paradise (75% off)
Mafia 2 (free)
Red Faction Guerilla (free)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

These games have crossed over multiple platforms and generations. I played Mass Effect on Xbox 360, Mass Effect 2 on PS3, and Mass Effect 3 on PS3 and PC. Somehow proving that I owned these games on those platforms at some point in order to get a $30 discount seems like a really silly exercise. Pretty sure the last time I played a ME game was through Origin/EA Play, which was a $5/month subscription.

I mean, I guess EA could figure out a way to give a discount to PC-only gamers who currently have the ME games in their library because they purchased them individually and didn't access them via a EA Play pass, but that seems awfully specific. I just can't really bring myself to get worked up over them not taking that step, but ymmv, I suppose.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have them all boxed PC. Think one is a special edition with metal case. 3 I think it was. Also have them all on Origin.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 pm I mean, I guess EA could figure out a way to give a discount to PC-only gamers who currently have the ME games in their library because they purchased them individually and didn't access them via a EA Play pass, but that seems awfully specific.
No less specific than if you have Rome Total War on Steam, and you get a discount in that case. I bought RTW but not on Steam years ago, so I don't begrudge them the fact that I'm not getting a discount. But I have all my ME games on EA (that was required even if you bought the game on Steam) so they know I have the games. So giving me a discount would be easy enough.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm There's a weird sense of entitlement if you are irked by the fact that EA and Bioware didn't see fit to offer you a discount simply because you purchased the original games. Besides, the list of companies who don't offer "loyalty discounts" on remasters is far longer than the list of companies who did.
I think it's strange that you are so worked up about the fact that I feel differently about this than you do. so much that you feel the need to call me "weird". Why can't we just disagree without trying to push some negative characteristic on the other? I'm fine if you feel differently about this than I do.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:42 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm There's a weird sense of entitlement if you are irked by the fact that EA and Bioware didn't see fit to offer you a discount simply because you purchased the original games. Besides, the list of companies who don't offer "loyalty discounts" on remasters is far longer than the list of companies who did.
I think it's strange that you are so worked up about the fact that I feel differently about this than you do. so much that you feel the need to call me "weird". Why can't we just disagree without trying to push some negative characteristic on the other? I'm fine if you feel differently about this than I do.
Saying you have a weird sense of entitlement isn't calling you weird, but whatever.
Hodor.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 pm
Saying you have a weird sense of entitlement isn't calling you weird, but whatever.
I don't feel it's a sense of entitlement at all. I have all the games and would buy the remasters at a discount and hoping as a loyal customer I could get a discount is not a "weird sense of entitlement" just a reflection of the market place and re purchasing games you already own.
Last edited by Reemul on Fri May 07, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I would argue that it doesn't stray into the "weird entitlement" territory unless someone uses "I deserve a discount" as an excuse to pirate the game, and I don't see anyone here going there. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of whether or not any person feels that they're getting good value at the asking price, the same as any other game whether it's a remaster or not. I'm in the "Hell yeah!" camp in this case, but I can see why others will hold out for a sale or even just take a pass because they're happy with the originals or don't want to replay the games in the first place.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I would pay exactly $47.89 for this package. Any more, and EA are bloodsucking capitalist pigs. One cent less and they're cheap truckstop whores. Have some pride in your product!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 pm
Calling someone “entitled” isn’t exactly complementary either, but as you say, whatever.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:57 am I would argue that it doesn't stray into the "weird entitlement" territory unless someone uses "I deserve a discount" as an excuse to pirate the game, and I don't see anyone here going there.
The entitlement comes from thinking one is owed something because of past behavior. There was never any expectation of a loyalty reward when these originally came out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why should someone who owns all the games already pay full price for the same thing plus some tweaks and a few addons? I lack some dlc but I could get them cheaper by just getting them. I think its more a convenience thing. It would be easier just to own the new pack all together and run easier and look a little better in some places and worse in others. A 50% discount is nice. Id never pay full for it.Ever. Ive already paid for it...3 times.
JCC

Post by JCC »

If you don't want to pay $60 for the ME trilogy remastered that's fine. If it isn't worth it you to pay $60 for remasters + DLC of games you previously bought, then that is a prefectly valid opinion. But please stop saying you are paying full price. Right now (as I noted before) the 3 games on Steam cost $80. So EVERYONE is getting a discount.

The idea that there would be a good way to prove you own the other games is silly since it would be complicated. Some were sold on Steam (or elsewhere), some were sold as physical copies, some were sold on Origin. It would be impossible for EA to validate ownership to provide said discount. EA didn't own Bioware during the entirety of the ME games' releases.

Fucking hell, I can't believe I am defending EA, a company that I mostly loathe. They ruined Origin Sytems and have (mostly) ruined Bioware.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be pretty easy for me as I own them all on pc in box and all on Origin too. Probably registered them there for that. Know I didn't rebuy them. Im sure its tough for others. For someone who doesn't own them then yes it is a good deal for 3 games and dlc. For me its a full priced collection I own.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're paying 20% of the original retail or less (it's 1/3 of the original retail, plus the DLC.) And all the people working on those 'tweaks' had to paid. A lot of money was spent remastering it. They're not going to just give it away.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm You're paying 20% of the original retail or less (it's 1/3 of the original retail, plus the DLC.) And all the people working on those 'tweaks' had to paid. A lot of money was spent remastering it. They're not going to just give it away.
Sure. EA is free to set the price as they wish, and I'm free to save my money until I see a substantial discount. I'm not in any way bitter about it, that's just business.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I never bought any of the Mass Effect games, so I'm the one who should get a discount!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think the best example of this situation is when George Lucas and Fox released the special edition of Star Wars for free in 1997 if you could produce your ticket stub from the original run. You also got free popcorn if you still had your empty container from 1977.

Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Well, there is a discount on Steam for owners of Mass Effect 3. I assume that is because they expect loyal customers to have purchased at least one game in the last decade.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm You're paying 20% of the original retail or less (it's 1/3 of the original retail, plus the DLC.) And all the people working on those 'tweaks' had to paid. A lot of money was spent remastering it. They're not going to just give it away.
Sure. EA is free to set the price as they wish, and I'm free to save my money until I see a substantial discount. I'm not in any way bitter about it, that's just business.
80% off isn't substantial?

We're talking three Bioware-level and Bioware-sized games with DLC, known quantities with metacritic ratings in the ~90 range for $20 each. That seems like a pretty substantial discount to me.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Chraolic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 am Well, there is a discount on Steam for owners of Mass Effect 3. I assume that is because they expect loyal customers to have purchased at least one game in the last decade.
You have to have purchased ME3 since June 11th 2020 though. (I presume that's when Steam and EA finally made nice... I thought it was earlier than that?) Still, if you're in that odd demographic, the 17% discount is better than nothing.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:00 am
NickAragua wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 pm
80% off isn't substantial?

We're talking three Bioware-level and Bioware-sized games with DLC, known quantities with metacritic ratings in the ~90 range for $20 each. That seems like a pretty substantial discount to me.
It's absolutely a great deal if you have never played these games before.

For someone like me, who's played through all three games and all DLC multiple times, I don't feel a burning need to drop sixty bucks on this the second it releases. Which, I guess, is my attitude for most games anyway, as it's a very rare game that gets me to drop full price on release (basically, X-Com, Battletech/Mechwarrior, *new* Mass Effect assuming it's not limited to consoles I don't already have); partially because of dev/publisher tendencies to release buggy, unfinished games, partially because of the prevalence of Steam/other sales.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'll be glad when we can discuss actually playing the game instead of this pricing silliness.

My plan is to play straight through all three games, so I fully expect this to take over my gaming life for the next couple months.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Is there where I mention I was happy to see I get to play this on day one on Gamepass along with Biomutant?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:45 am Is there where I mention I was happy to see I get to play this on day one on Gamepass along with Biomutant?
I haven't seen anything indicating this game hits Game Pass on Day 1. It'll get there eventually, but EA games generally don't hit Game Pass the day they come out.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Has there been any word on whether or not Marauder Shields will get an extended role in the Legendary Edition? Because years later, that's still one of my favorite memories.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My biggest sticking point: I played male Shephard. Shephard, to me, is male Shephard, default look.

So, do I play that way again, varying it with different classes? Or do I switch to FemmeShep just to make it completely different - or would that alienate me. First world problems!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Given my pattern for replaying other games (and really, the number of games I've replayed is <5), I'm guessing I would pick exactly the same character (Male Shepard) and make exactly the same choices. It's just the way I'm wired. I think the only game I managed to play and make different choices was Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines - because playing as a Malkavian was like playing an entirely new game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished all three 5 times or so and always default male Shephard.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm Given my pattern for replaying other games (and really, the number of games I've replayed is <5), I'm guessing I would pick exactly the same character (Male Shepard) and make exactly the same choices. It's just the way I'm wired.
Same. I'm always a goody-two-shoes in every game I play. I've only tried taking the "evil" path in a couple games, and have found it causes me to enjoy the game significantly less. I particularly recall a dark side situation in KOTOR (between Zaalbar and Mission) that damn near ruined the entire game for me.

I also generally tend to play as dudes, as it's a little more difficult to put myself in the character's shoes if I'm the opposite gender.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm Has there been any word on whether or not Marauder Shields will get an extended role in the Legendary Edition? Because years later, that's still one of my favorite memories.
That zombified Turian really was the hero of the series.
Black Lives Matter