[PC] Green Hell

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[PC] Green Hell

Post by Smoove_B »

A few people have mentioned it, but I finally had some time over the last few weeks to really get into the game and I wanted to post this because I was really impressed.

For those unaware, it's a survival and crafting game, set in an open world with a rain forest theme. There is a story you can follow or you can play as a a true sandbox survival game, seeing how long you're able to make it. And for that, there's numerous sliders you can adjust that will change specific elements of game play - how wildlife treats you, how enemies will react, nutrition/food/hunger, etc..., so it's quite customizable.

There's a tutorial that in my opinion is absolutely mandatory. I don't have crazy-insane experience with crafting games, but this is quite detailed. And while the items and things you can do follow real-world logic, how you actually perform those functions isn't nearly as intuitive - which is where the tutorial comes in. I've been surprised a few times at the crafting element - just experimenting a bit and figuring out how to do something that changes my odds of survival. A few times (most recently with water) I was really impressed with how the game handled creative use of resources. It's not something I can recall seeing in another game.
Spoiler:
With half a coconut shell, you can leave them on the ground to collect rain water. Early on, it's the only source of clean drinking water I've found and a literal life-saver.
Right from the start of the game, it's a race. If you don't focus on finding shelter, water then food (in that order, most likely) it's highly unlikely you're going to survive more than two days in the game because it's absolutely punishing.

For my first attempt I wandered around the starting area for quite a bit, only to then realize the sun was setting and I had absolutely nothing but some bananas. Classic mistake. For my next attempt, I didn't leave the area where you start and immediately set to creating shelter. I've now managed to survive three days and have a basic system/routine set up that (I think) will let me survive. However, if there's any chance of me making any progress on the story, that's not enough - I need to thrive.

The game really rewards creative thinking and the actual crafting element is really detailed. You start off knowing a few things, but as you explore the environment and start to interact with new objects, new crafting options open. But sometimes it's just a matter of intuitive experimenting to unlock a tool or object you need.

For actual survival, you can be physically wounded or set upon by leeches, parasites and bacteria. Not only will these things impact your health, but you have sanity as well. The food you eat has different types of nutrients, and in addition to finding clean water, you also need to balance your carbs and proteins. You have a magic watch that tracks all your nutrient levels and overall health (how / why it exists is in the tutorial) so you can figure out how best to manage what's happening.

There's a skill system that levels up as you craft items or build fires or successfully hunt.

Really, a ton of stuff to explore and the game looks absolutely beautiful with a day/night cycle and weather. There's a multiplayer option, but it's not something I've looked into at all.

Would recommend, particularly if you have real interest in the wilderness survival genre - TV, books, movies, etc...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Re: [PC] Green Hell

Post by coopasonic »

I'll just give a +1 here. I had a lot of fun with the game though I am not 100% sure fun is the right term. Perhaps satisfaction is more accurate as there is little actual fun represented in the game. It's more about the satisfaction of (eventual) perseverance.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I think that's highly accurate. I was feeling satisfaction in figuring things out - little elements of game play that completely changed my ability to endure another few hours. There's lots of learning and experimenting - poking around with the mechanics and seeing things emerge.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Maybe a dumb question, but why is shelter the first priority? I'm assuming that since it's the Amazonian rainforest that it isn't cold at night. Are there things that go bump in the night around?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You want shelter because you need to rest. If you go too long without sleeping, you start to go crazy. I think you will get weaker and/or your stat drains happen faster too, but I'm not entire sure of that as I only went 1 night without sleep before figuring things out. You can just create bedding and sleep on that, but making a tiny shelter isn't that much more work (as I learned).

Probably most importantly, creating shelter allows you to save the game, but maybe that's too meta. :D

There are absolutely predators in the jungle. I haven't seen anything yet (I'm on default/normal setting) but I'm also being very careful to stay in the initial starting area. The first day of my first attempt I went out into the jungle thinking I'd find stuff to survive (I didn't) and was left on a mountainside in the dark as it was raining, I heard stuff around me but nothing attacked. The tutorial starts you off in a specific area with generous resources. When you actually start playing the game you have *nothing*.

But in terms of survival, you start off hydrated and well-fed so that initial amount of stamina you begin with should be focused on resource gathering with an aim toward tools, shelter and fire (imho). After that, things start to come together.

For me, the hardest was finding a way to stay hydrated. I'm hoping to to improve my strategy and make it more proactive instead of reactive.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'll also note that it's one of the few survival games I've played that has a really solid story and mysteries to unravel as you explore your environment. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm not normally someone that loves survival games. It also plays brilliantly multiplayer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well then, sold. :D

Although I will note that if this game includes snakes, I will most likely spend my time playing in spurts as I will need to clean my pants frequently.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 pm Although I will note that if this game includes snakes, I will most likely spend my time playing in spurts as I will need to clean my pants frequently.
Yes, there are snakes and they are ssssneaky.

Not as bad as the leeches though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well then, adult diapers it is.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The snakes you can generally hear before you step on them and piss them off. Spiders too, if you are listening carefully. Also watch out for ant hills. If you go tromping through the jungle paying no attention you are going to be in for a world of hurt. I mean you are going to be in for a world of hurt regardless, but moving cautiously can help minimize the hurt... until a big cat sees you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When I play Assassin's Creed games post Origins, I still actively try to avoid any area that has snakes. It's fun to watch me inch my way through a tomb while spam hurling torches in front of me in order to kill any snakes that just might be there in the dark, mocking me.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

*So far* I haven't had snakes jump-scare me like they did in Assassin's Creed. They've been easy to spot and helpful in warning me to stay back. Snakes don't bother me in real life, so I'm probably not the best judge here. Even knowing the potential danger, I did spend a few minutes trying to figure out if I could kill one because I wanted to eat it. The risk/reward wasn't there for me so I went spear fishing instead. :D

Unfortunately, I died from a leg infection last night while sleeping. Was not checking my body enough and apparently didn't realize I had a wound somewhere.

The jungle is an unforgiving mistress.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did you learn nothing from Thomas Covenant?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And I even ate an armadillo (to tie this to Thomas Covenant)!

I think I jumped off a rock and hurt myself and didn't think to check my body for wounds. So much learning. I'm definitely in a stable loop now where I have plenty of food, an easy ability to make fire and get water. The idea of wandering out into the jungle though to look for anything feels...like too much.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This is a buy for me when it goes on sale.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sure the engine and feel are different, but this sounds like a tropical version of The Long Dark (which is set in an arctic environment).

Does anyone who has played both have an opinion on how they compare?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're quite similar. Though for TLD I always felt like there was pressure to move forward - to get to the next area and hope I could find shelter and food. TLD felt quite punishing. I wanted to like it, but when I was playing (during early access?) it felt overwhelmingly difficult. With the environment it felt like I was trying to survive the cold more than anything. For Green Hell, I feel like I'm exploring the environment to figure out how to survive. It's more enjoyable (to me).

For this game everything I needed to survive was in the opening area; there was no need to travel because setting up and getting stable was much more important. Here, I was getting right into mechanics. As I remember TLD early on I was trying to quickly move from point A to point B and not freeze or be eaten.

I like the crafting mechanics better in Green Hell...they just feel better (to me), though in fairness I have not been back to TLD in a long, long time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spent a few minutes in the options page but couldn’t find a slider for genital size. That seems like a pretty big oversight.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like you could start your own group on STEAM - Games with a Dedicated Dong Slider
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It doesn’t strictly have to be just dongs, does it?

I spent about an hour with it earlier. The crafting felt a little clunky coming off subnautica a few months ago, but that’s probably just my take. This one is trying for realism and I need to wrap my mind around that.

Subnautica made me love exploration too, so your description of the story based mode is what I’m after.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's a good point - and would probably include more games!

I'm really quite curious about the story in Green Hell, but until I can figure out a way to do a few things and get more comfortable at finding things that are critical, I'm really hesitant to move too far from my base camp.

Also, not having any type of map at all is setting me on edge. Yes, I have a compass, but just based on the jungle overgrowth and topography it its really easy to get disoriented (like in real life). The last thing I want to do is scramble to make a shelter or wander around in the dark.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Subnautica has no map either. I kind of liked that. Gave me a real sense of accomplishment if I explored an area well enough to remember it. They did have tags though.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I would like for it to have a map and a way to detect (and avoid) giant unspeakable horrors. I really liked Subnautica until I didn't. If I have a similar pee-my-pants moment in this game I might need to take up another hobby.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I kind of hope there’s a supernatural horror aspect to the story at some point though. This one seems to lend itself to scary moments. I mean...it measures sanity. How could it not?
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 pm I kind of hope there’s a supernatural horror aspect to the story at some point though. This one seems to lend itself to scary moments. I mean...it measures sanity. How could it not?
I don't want to spoil anything, but Green Hell is pretty reality based with some exceptions and you'll know when you know... :D

On the story front, there is a lot more story here than in something like Subnautica but you're really going to have to work for it. I only played the first hour or so of The Long Dark so I can't compare them. The Long Dark was just brutal in the opening hours and I'm a survival game fan and a Souls-like fan so generally I like brutal...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh...a story that requires you to really work to find it? I like.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is there ANYTHING in this damn game that won't bite you? Spiders, snakes, frogs, rocks, trees, passing motorists....I swear to god, I must look like a giant pork chop as seen by Looney Tunes characters when they're starving and they look at their companions.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 pm The jungle is an unforgiving mistress.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A scene from last night:

<setting: dark jungle, top of small hill>

Hepcat's character, who we have named Lunchmeat McDinner, crosses a log that spans a chasm and begins work on his luxury palm leaf shelter/summer home in a clearing next to ample resources.

Lunchmeat clears out a few small trees and then heads towards another small group of them for his deluxe long stick holder (NOT a euphemism...unfortunately). He hears a slight hiss and then there's a flash of red and the game tells him he's been poisoned. Lunchmeat backs up and then surveys the area carefully, but he can't see anything. Gingerly stepping into the same clearing, he again hears the hiss and is rewarded with another love tap. Wiping his hands rapidly across his face like Curly Howard, he takes another try just to see if he can find out what's trying to kill him. And is rewarded yet again. Finally, realizing it's no use, he just starts running around like a madman, collecting bites like pokemon cards.

He then reloads, decides to build his hut near the small lake...and promptly dies after thinking to himself "how unsafe can water be?".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

The first ~3 days of in-game time, I don't think I moved more than a hundred foot diameter from the starting location. When I made my first foray out into the wild, I was immediately seeing snakes, poison frogs and...land crabs.

Hopefully things that pinch aren't an issue for you either.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:52 am :D

The first ~3 days of in-game time, I don't think I moved more than a hundred foot diameter from the starting location. When I made my first foray out into the wild, I was immediately seeing snakes, poison frogs and...land crabs.

Hopefully things that pinch aren't an issue for you either.
No octopus sightings yet...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lassr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:23 pm No octopus sightings yet...
Not going to lie, I've not gone in water over my head on the off chance there's some type of tentacled nightmare lurking in the deep end of a pond...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OO Effect is very strong on this... :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, day 2 and I’m dying of thirst. I can’t help but wonder if whatever is in the bushes across that log bridge might have a diet sprite.

I seriously am terrified to move too far. I think I’m going to save and then run around seeing all the sights until something kills me. Then at least I’ll have an idea about what I’m supposed to be looking for.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I took a stab at this a couple of days ago. I have progressed pretty far in the main story (I think). I ranged pretty far and have three living situations to return to. My biggest problem early was water but figuring out that certain commonly found ... items ... allowed me to drink from the pond by killing the parasites near start was a godsend.

That being said, before I really got my game together involved dying ... a lot. A lot. Mostly via acute things like jaguar attacks but my worst long-term spiral into death started with a scorpion sting. I passed out on the way back to camp and got some worms in my arms which I couldn't figure out how to remedy. I started going insane and eventually I just couldn't keep up with the macros.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I used to think that someday several OO`ers will get together over PM and decide to pick some obscure game no one has heard of and start talking it up and see how many other folks would be convinced to buy it :ninja:

Now I'm thinking this has already happened :roll:

Picked up the game via Green Man Gaming for 15% off. :doh:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm Well, day 2 and I’m dying of thirst. I can’t help but wonder if whatever is in the bushes across that log bridge might have a diet sprite.
I haven't figured out what malchior has. I mean, I know what I need to do in real world terms, but I'm unable to get what I need in the game (so far) in order to make that happen.

That being said, I guess I lucked out day one in finding something to address short term water access. To be clear, it was like day one reloaded like 4 or 5 times. I can give you a hint if you'd like, but I was quite pleased with myself when I stumbled across the solution.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 pm So I used to think that someday several OO`ers will get together over PM and decide to pick some obscure game no one has heard of and start talking it up and see how many other folks would be convinced to buy it :ninja:
Yup. I was voted to start the thread this time. :D
Picked up the game via Green Man Gaming for 15% off. :doh:
I am really impressed with the game overall and I've barely scratched the surface, quite frankly. I hope you enjoy it. Don't skip that tutorial!
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Can you save anywhere?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm Can you save anywhere?
Technically yes, in practice no. You need to do something first
Spoiler:
build a shelter
You can do that pretty easily allowing you to save anywhere, but not in real time (i.e. you'd need to do it first).

I haven't run into an issue yet where I'd want to be anywhere far away from where I'm able to save, so I can't say if it's an issue while playing in later parts of the game. I can imagine if I had the right basic supplies on me, I could stop my wandering at dusk and be able to save anywhere rather quickly.

So much of the first few hours of the game (for me) was dying. Dying and learning what not to do. If that's something that would drive you crazy, this game might be frustrating. I enjoyed the process - enjoyed the learning.