KOTOR III....nope not yet.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

KOTOR III....nope not yet.

Post by Daehawk »

I know I have a thread asking about a KOTOR 3 but that is a sad'ish thread and Im not revisiting it.

Pulled this from Blues News.
In a MinnMax Video Interview, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier talks about a number of topics, including Press Reset, his new book on the "unsustainable aspects of the game industry." Jason also backs up recent rumors that a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is in development. He says the studio on this aspirational project is Aspyr:

This is public at this point. I mean I basically confirmed that Aspyr, which is a company that has ported a bunch of KOTOR games is working [unintelligible]. So there's your headline, Ben! People have to listen all the way to the end.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Re: KOTOR III

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:54 pm I know I have a thread asking about a KOTOR 3 but that is a sad'ish thread and Im not revisiting it.

In a MinnMax Video Interview, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier talks about a number of topics, including Press Reset, his new book on the "unsustainable aspects of the game industry." Jason also backs up recent rumors that a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is in development. He says the studio on this aspirational project is Aspyr:

This is public at this point. I mean I basically confirmed that Aspyr, which is a company that has ported a bunch of KOTOR games is working [unintelligible]. So there's your headline, Ben! People have to listen all the way to the end.
Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but "Aspyr, which is a company that has ported a bunch of KOTOR games, is working [unintelligible]" does not seem to be a particularly sensational, or even mildly coherent, headline.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From what I'm reading today, Aspyr is working on a remaster of KotOR, not KotOR III.

Knights Of The Old Republic remake reportedly in development at Aspyr
A remaster of the venerable Star Wars RPG Knights Of The Old Republic is in the works, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier disclosed earlier this week.

Schreier broke the news while guesting on the MinnMax podcast (via Eurogamer), confirming that Aspyr is developing the KOTOR remake. The studio had previously ported KOTOR to iOS, and recently brought older Star Wars games like Republic Commando, Episode 1 Racer and the Jedi Knight series to Switch.

But while Aspyr has largely focused on ports and small modernisations, Schreier suggests that this may be a full remake. Whether this means simply upscaling assets or going all-in with new models, textures and shaders remains to be seen.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:54 pm I know I have a thread asking about a KOTOR 3 but that is a sad'ish thread and Im not revisiting it.

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but "Aspyr, which is a company that has ported a bunch of KOTOR games, is working [unintelligible]" does not seem to be a particularly sensational, or even mildly coherent, headline.
I took that to be a joke about clickbait, not an actual suggestion for the headline.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bummer..oh well...maybe new info soon.
NickAragua

Re: KOTOR III....nope not yet.

Post by NickAragua »

The reality is that the "Old Republic" MMO was basically KOTOR III (and then some). Other than being an MMO, with all the goat testicle harvesting and other people, it wasn't too bad. As I recall, I finished one storyline in the original (the 'good guy smuggler' line), but there's no way I'm plowing through an MMO all the way to the end game eight times, I don't care how good the story is. Don't think I played any of the expansions, either.

Anyway, at this point we'd be looking more at KOTOR IV.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They could call it KOTOR II.V :!:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had the urge to return to SWTOR actually. But unlike you I have max lvl'd all classes and finished all story lines and earned the Legend status. So not sure what else I could do.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'd kind of make sense that it'd only be a remake or remaster given the history Aspyr has of doing ports. Disappointing, but not entirely surprising.

But on the other hand, with Disney taking on The Old Republic, it's still possible we might get a new game based on it, just not the sequel we're all wanting. Because, face it, even if they were to do a sequel, it will likely be with a different set of characters. Much time has passed between the original two games, and the effort to reintroduce the old characters, and to a whole new audience, would be too much. They're better off starting from scratch. Remember the original games were only released on XBox and PC, and they have a better opportunity of reaching a wider audience on a number of platforms with a whole new cast of characters without ties to the original two games. Making a direct sequel would have many wondering where the rest of the story is.

FWIW, I've played through the two games a few years ago, and there are mods on the Steam workshop that make the games look gorgeous. I remember one of them replaced the skyline, and in places such as Nar Shadaa, that made a hell of a difference. Made it look more like a modern game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am The reality is that the "Old Republic" MMO was basically KOTOR III (and then some). Other than being an MMO, with all the goat testicle harvesting and other people, it wasn't too bad. As I recall, I finished one storyline in the original (the 'good guy smuggler' line), but there's no way I'm plowing through an MMO all the way to the end game eight times, I don't care how good the story is. Don't think I played any of the expansions, either.
Playing through the SWTOR main class stories is far from the grinding chore it was at launch. Particularly if you pay for a month or two, you can easily power through all the main class story lines (solo) pretty quickly. Even playing for free you can mostly get through a class story just doing class quests and the purple primary planet quests. It is not nearly the grind it used to be. There are many other short cuts as well - ie. you can travel to areas via the "taxi" service without first discovering the destination point, etc. There are also difficulty options so you can adjust if you find the base game too easy. (It's *much* easier than it was at launch to solo through now. I play it completely solo when I feel like going back to it.)

All 8 of the main character story lines are VERY good, and I have played through them all multiple times. The gameplay is still the antiquated menu bar combat - though I frankly find this more fun today than I do the classic KOTOR combat. But, I would guess I am in the minority on that one. KOTOR fans who never played through it really should. There are many callbacks to the first 2 KOTOR games and Revan in particular. The writing is very good and you do get to make some choices which affect the narrative. You mostly will go down the same path from A to B but the details of the plot shift a little based on some of your choices. It's also fun to play the same character making different choices. (ie. Light side vs. Dark side)

The post class content is a little more variable in quality and stops being class specific. (More like Empire vs. Republic specific.) Still worth a go through. I really need to revisit some of it since I only played through it once with a Sith Warrior. Some of those (soloable) flashpoints were quite long and drawn out though which frustrated me.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 pm
NickAragua wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am The reality is that the "Old Republic" MMO was basically KOTOR III (and then some). Other than being an MMO, with all the goat testicle harvesting and other people, it wasn't too bad. As I recall, I finished one storyline in the original (the 'good guy smuggler' line), but there's no way I'm plowing through an MMO all the way to the end game eight times, I don't care how good the story is. Don't think I played any of the expansions, either.
Playing through the SWTOR main class stories is far from the grinding chore it was at launch. Particularly if you pay for a month or two, you can easily power through all the main class story lines (solo) pretty quickly. Even playing for free you can mostly get through a class story just doing class quests and the purple primary planet quests. It is not nearly the grind it used to be. There are many other short cuts as well - ie. you can travel to areas via the "taxi" service without first discovering the destination point, etc. There are also difficulty options so you can adjust if you find the base game too easy. (It's *much* easier than it was at launch to solo through now. I play it completely solo when I feel like going back to it.)

All 8 of the main character story lines are VERY good, and I have played through them all multiple times. The gameplay is still the antiquated menu bar combat - though I frankly find this more fun today than I do the classic KOTOR combat. But, I would guess I am in the minority on that one. KOTOR fans who never played through it really should. There are many callbacks to the first 2 KOTOR games and Revan in particular. The writing is very good and you do get to make some choices which affect the narrative. You mostly will go down the same path from A to B but the details of the plot shift a little based on some of your choices. It's also fun to play the same character making different choices. (ie. Light side vs. Dark side)

The post class content is a little more variable in quality and stops being class specific. (More like Empire vs. Republic specific.) Still worth a go through. I really need to revisit some of it since I only played through it once with a Sith Warrior. Some of those (soloable) flashpoints were quite long and drawn out though which frustrated me.
Unfortunately, while the class stories are still excellent, I found the gameplay itself to be a dull, boring slog. It’s a few minutes of fun, interesting dialog or character development, followed by mind-numbing grinding or boring bosses to get to the next cool story beat. I finished one character through the third xpac, but have never been able to get through any of the others. The story just can’t make up for the tedium.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:45 pm Unfortunately, while the class stories are still excellent, I found the gameplay itself to be a dull, boring slog. It’s a few minutes of fun, interesting dialog or character development, followed by mind-numbing grinding or boring bosses to get to the next cool story beat. I finished one character through the third xpac, but have never been able to get through any of the others. The story just can’t make up for the tedium.
Yep, completely get where you are coming from. Too much travelling around to get to a point to kill some mobs, navigate a dungeon, to get to quest points. (Of course that also describes pretty much every RPG. LOL.)

But seriously, it isn't for everyone for sure - but the narratives for the class stories are strong. Just pointing out that you don't have to mindlessly grind mobs to level up so a lot of the MMO treadmill is mostly eliminated. But, for sure, if you just find the gameplay to be a total chore then the narrative will likely not be enough.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The narratives are definitely its strongest point, to the point that they almost feel like they were originally designed for a different game. They often don't really fit the style of game. Take the game intro, for instance. The characters in that don't even figure into the game at any point, although it's a seriously badass scene. But even in terms of class storylines, take the Imperial Agent for instance which has one of the best class storylines, the inherent gameplay doesn't match up with what an Agent should otherwise be capable of doing. He can't exactly be covert or do anything spy-related when it comes to actual gameplay, instead he has the same gameplay loop as everyone else. The Jedi Knight, while having the weakest story, is also actually closer to what the original KOTOR games were like and feels like the canon story of the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Mrs. Nym fell in love with the SWTOR class stories and played most of them multiple times. I really, really dug the ones I tried, but I got so bored and frustrated with the gameplay that I gave up. Multiple times. At launch, as a duo, the content was too easy. Which is to be expected; most MMOs don't scale open world content for teams. But we'd burn stuff down so fast that we wouldn't even get to use our abilities. When playing solo, combat was too tedious. The saber effects etc. were great, but many of the abilities were literal copies of those in WoW.

On my more recent journeys back (been several years since I made a serious stab), even the single player content was too easy. Yeah, I know reducing the tedious combat is merciful, but it just feels like easy mode. I really wish they'd done their own thing rather than building a literal WoW clone (as financially smart as doing that probably seemed). It needed a little tactical flare. The game oozes Star Wars atmosphere, and duoing works better than in most other MMOs I've played, as you're able to roll against your teammates in conversations, etc. Though it does make it a little jarring when you're roleplaying different moralities. And it has the universal RPG (but especially Bioware) problem of some dialogue options being delivered in very different ways/having different outcomes than you expect.

They really nailed it with the voice acting and characterizations though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

You can adjust the difficulty up from the default. I never do so I don't know how many options there are.
Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I can't remember if that was an option when I played. Though I admit if there's no reward associated I don't think that would help much. I didn't only want the fights to last longer; I wanted them to be more engaging.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 am I can't remember if that was an option when I played. Though I admit if there's no reward associated I don't think that would help much. I didn't only want the fights to last longer; I wanted them to be more engaging.
This was my experience as well. Higher difficulty simply gives mobs more hit points and causes them to hit harder. It just drags out an already tedious process, rather than making it any more engaging.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.