Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freyland

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Freyland »

+1

In real life I'm very polite, but I feel more inclined to go with the sarcasm, with a nice reminder that if diversions are around for salvage, then they *are* the salvage! (Dumbass)

(Inside voice, dammit!)
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm [] "I'll uh, think about it." (brush off, deflect)
[] "Yeah, sure, we'll get right on it boss." (sarcasm, eyeroll)
[x] "Why don't you get some yourself next time, and maybe don't get half your company captured." (condescending, not wrong)
[] "Go pound sand, asshole." (direct)
I am nothing if not diplomatic. (Conclusion: I am nothing.)
NickAragua wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm What's the disposition of Gamma-Probe lance (AWS/Pixie LAM, Bass/Phoenix Hawk 3M, Akalon/Vulcan, plus a Phoenix Hawk 3D)
[x] Helping Freyland's lance with their diversion (greatly reduced chance of these extra mechs getting back in time to make a difference vs artillery base)
[] Reinforcing Alpha-Command lance's attack on the artillery base post-haste (still pretty decent chance of no further enemy reinforcements, opportunity to get in there quickly and help snipe the artillery if the infantry can't get it done)
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

NickAragua wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm [X] "I'll uh, think about it." (brush off, deflect)
[] "Why don't you get some yourself next time, and maybe don't get half your company captured." (condescending, not wrong)
Play nicey nicey
NickAragua wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm What's the disposition of Gamma-Probe lance (AWS/Pixie LAM, Bass/Phoenix Hawk 3M, Akalon/Vulcan, plus a Phoenix Hawk 3D)
[x] Helping Freyland's lance with their diversion (greatly reduced chance of these extra mechs getting back in time to make a difference vs artillery base)
[] Reinforcing Alpha-Command lance's attack on the artillery base post-haste (still pretty decent chance of no further enemy reinforcements, opportunity to get in there quickly and help snipe the artillery if the infantry can't get it done)
Give alpha a clean flank
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 am
NickAragua wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:21 pm [X] "I'll uh, think about it." (brush off, deflect)
[] "Why don't you get some yourself next time, and maybe don't get half your company captured." (condescending, not wrong)
Play nicey nicey
Give alpha a clean flank
I agree on both.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am
Play nicey nicey
Give alpha a clean flank
I agree on both.
I agree to this agree.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hyena wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:57 pm
Play nicey nicey
Give alpha a clean flank
I agree on both.
I agree to this agree.
I disagree with your agreement with my agreement.
Black Lives Matter.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

derp
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm
Hyena wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:57 pm
Play nicey nicey
Give alpha a clean flank
I agree on both.
I agree to this agree.
I disagree with your agreement with my agreement.
I echo the first agreement and will abstain from comments on the further agreements or disagreements.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
deflect ||||
sarcasm ||||
condescending ||

help with diversion |||||||||
reinforce alpha |||
"Yeah, sure, we'll get right on it boss." Freyland replies. "You guys realize this was supposed to be a diversion, not a knock-down, dragout-fight, right?"

The merc commander doesn't have much more to say on the subject.

Gamma-Probe relieves Freyland's lance - the two groups spend several hours taking pot shots at the hostile force from maximum range (the extended-range lasers on the Phoenix Hawks help a lot with that), driving off skirmisher units and avoiding LRM salvos. This leaves El Guapo's lance free to hit the artillery base.

Alpha-Command (technically Alpha-Heavy, but somebody forgot to switch the designation in the comms systems) is basically a couple of tons short of being an assault lance - we've got El Guapo in the (regrettably, standard, although with the ammo bin moved to a safer location) Marauder, Isgrimnur in a Thug, Thud in an Awesome, in addition to a Guillotine. El Guapo also brings along a Manticore and a Falcon hovertank for additional support, and we've got two aerospace fighters closing in with fuel air bombs. Between all our mechs and tanks, that's eight particle projection cannons in total. Not bad.

Plus, our infantry managed to sneak in and plant mines without being detected prior to the fight starting.

Our merc buddies have regrouped and come back for some revenge, bringing three mechs (Archer, Grasshopper, Thunderbolt) and another Manticore, with another heavy tank lance closing in - although by the time those guys get here the fight will likely be over.

These mercs apparently aren't slouches, because the Archer they brought is a 5S - double heat sinks, NARC launcher and NARC-capable LRM launchers, pulse lasers, streak SRMs... pretty nice piece of equipment.

The garrison is eight stationary turrets, including some real nasty ones - a 40-tube LRM setup, a gauss rifle, what looks like a large pulse laser, and another one that looks like a binary laser. The defensive garrison has been mostly stripped of mechs, with just one medium lance (Dragon, Wolverine, Whitworth, Stinger), but a shit ton of tanks - two companies' worth (24). Plus three Thumpers and a Long Tom.

Ideally we'll capture the Long Tom to replace the one we lost against the clans. And nobody's going to complain about capturing some of those stationary turrets, either.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
"Air support - what's your ETA?" El Guapo asks, pushing the Marauder's throttle forward.

"Thirty seconds." comes the reply.

"Hey, that's pretty good!" Thud comments.

"Watch those artillery shells until then." El Guapo responds.

An explosion on the south side of the base and multiple smoke puffs indicate that our infantry's sabotage is working.

Unfortunately, the Falcon hovertank that we brought along to help coordinate with our allied units gets disabled by rapid autocannon fire from the south side of the enemy base. Isgrimnur retaliates, scoring his first kill by opening up with the Thug's PPCs at maximum range and melting a Harasser missile platform to slag.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur's Thug makes good use of its SRM launchers - the incoming hovercraft move a little too fast for the PPCs, but a good peppering from the almost-dumbfire SRMs blows the fans off the back of an incoming Harasser as it pings Thud's Awesome with a few missiles in return. Thud, meanwhile lands a solid shot on an approaching J. Edgar, the light hovertank veering sideways after delivering a laser blast and some SRMs to our Awesome.

The allied mercs report disabling the binary laser(*) turret.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Hovercraft continue to swarm us, but the Dislocators have diverted some of the hostile forces to the west, so we should be able to handle it. El Guapo mumbles an acknowledgement of thanks as our Guillotine peels off to neutralize the Scimitar picking away at our Marauder, plastering it with laser fire and SRMs - it dodges the worst of the lasers, but the SRMs puncture the hover skirt and the hovercraft sprays dirt out of its lift fans as it hits the ground and stops moving.

El Guapo's attention is focused on the LRM Carrier up ahead - the gauss turret further south is briefly distracted by the Lightning's bombing run, thankfully missing our aerospace fighter, but the LRM Carrier takes an armor breach and moves to drive off.

Thud and Isgrimnur are unable to take down a Thumper artillery pieces that they observe, but it's only a matter of time.

For more good news, our Lightning makes its bombing run. We hear some muffled cursing over the comms as the aero jock takes some anti-aircraft fire from the AC/2 carrier. And then the southeast corner of the artillery base lights up.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
The allied Manticore to the west reports being disabled, while their Archer pilot complains about harassing helicopters and hovercraft (and being knocked over), but so far we've given a lot better than we've gotten. And it's going to keep going as our Lucifer follows the Lightning for another fuel-air attack run.

Thud's Awesome takes a gauss slug to the left arm, but the armor holds. Classic Awesome. Our mechwarrior stays focused and blows away a laser carrier, taking its multiple laser barrels out of action before we close in to deal with the base.

El Guapo backs up briefly into some woods, firing one of the Marauder's PPCs and the autocannon at a Thumper artillery piece, lighting the surrounding trees on fire with his PPC while the autocannon rounds pop the Thumper's left-side wheels.

The Lucifer's bombing run isn't as impressive, but still lights up the southwest corner of the base. A secondary explosion to the northeast of the base indicates another one of our minefields has done its work.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Our Manticore finally shows up - the driver appears to have taken a detour and decided to come in on the west side of the battlefield to help out the allied mercs.

"Don't remember ordering you to do that." El Guapo grumbles, but can't spare much more attention than that.

Our Lightning comes around for another pass, getting revenge on the AC/2 Carrier, shredding it with the fighter's nose-mounted AC/20. "You call that an autocannon? That's not an autocannon. This is an autocannon!"

Our Lucifer switches to direct-fire energy weapons (and LRMs) and targets a Manticore that got caught at the edge of the thermobaric conflagration, finishing it off.

El Guapo hangs back, trying to pick off the gauss turret gently for salvage, observing with satisfaction as Thud lands a PPC shot on the last remaining artillery piece, fusing its left-side wheels in place. The Awesome shrugs off a few SRMs and autocannon rounds coming from the base - Isgrimnur turns one of the Thug's PPC on the offending autocannon turret, which explodes catastrophically. El Guapo grins as his PPC shot precisely picks the gauss rifle off the turret where it's mounted, without blowing it up. Amazing!

The allied mercs report taking moderate damage, but are making progress as they finally score some more kills - an SRM turret and a Harasser.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
A Kestrel VTOL** flies up to El Guapo - our Guillotine is unable to target the fast-moving aircraft, but does just fine zapping the infantry fast-roping out of it. Thud, though, evaporates the back of the VTOL with a PPC, infantry scattering everywhere to avoid the crash.

To the west, our Manticore tank reports disabling a Scimitar hovertank.

Then, our Lucifer pilot takes a few hits from LRMs and the aerospace fighter slams into the ground.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
A Whitworth (a 40-ton fire support mech) makes the mistake of stepping out from cover right as Isgrimnur walks up. The rest of the interaction is irrelevant as the Thug's first PPC shot burns through the cockpit, dropping the mech instantly. Thud then gives it a little overkill, blasting one of the LRM ammo bins with a PPC.

"Hey, I was going for salvage, what the hell!" Isgrimnur calls out indignantly.

"Sorry. He jumped out." comes the response.

The allied Archer to the west reports taking heavy damage while our Manticore reports that the allied Thunderbolt has taken out another hovertank, the J. Edgar that somehow managed to get away from us.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur stomps into the base, playing hide and seek with a Galleon light tank (a little wheeled thing with a couple of lasers). It does pretty well, avoiding the PPC and SRM fire while damaging the Thug's armor lightly. Until our mechwarrior stomps it flat.

El Guapo turns the Marauder's weapons skyward, blasting a Warrior attack helicopter with the arm-mounted lasers, forcing it to set down on the ground in front of the mech.

Our Manticore picks off the large pulse laser turret that's been carving our allied Archer to bits (in fact, said Archer has lost an arm), while allied forces disable a Falcon hovertank.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
"Box them in. Last concentration of hostile forces is to the west of the base. Salvage crews, get ready to move in." El Guapo calls out, watching with derision as the allied mechwarrior in the Archer ejects. Our mechwarrior is briefly distracted by an SRM salvo from a Harasser zipping in, taking a few seconds to blast it to bits with lasers and a PPC shot.

Our Manticore gets in a little over its head, eating some SRMs to the treads and losing all mobility.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Two things happen pretty much simultaneously. First, the Dislocator reinforcements arrive to the southeast. Great job getting into the fight, guys. Second, Thud nearly fires a Warrior helicopter with the Awesome's PPCs to get it off Isgrimnur's back, causing the helo to zip away from the field rapidly.

The mercs collapse another turret, and the guy in charge of the militia defense appears to have had enough - the Dragon (missing an arm) pulls out and to the west, leading its battered tank pals.

"Hey, our salvage is getting away!" One of the mercs calls out. "Get 'em!"

[] "Right. Take the rest out." (continue firing)
[] "Negative. Let them go." (allow retreat)

* The binary laser is a dead-end research project by Lyran Commonwealth researchers from the 3020s. It's exactly what it sounds like, two laser barrels wired welded together. In practice, it generated double the heat but only dealt about 150% the damage. It was kind of a dud, but a whole bunch of the things got made, then sold off as surplus. So we occasionally see them mounted on turrets and other units where heat-management isn't an issue.

** The Kestrel is a pretty uncommon fast troop transport VTOL (originally only in use by the Wolf's Dragoons), able to transport a platoon of infantry at a pretty good clip. This variant has two nose-mounted SRM tubes for a little fire support, but its main defense is its speed (although it's not nearly as fragile as the Ferret and can actually take a hit from a medium laser).
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:31 am [] "Right. Take the rest out." (continue firing)
[X] "Negative. Let them go." (allow retreat)
Don't see the need to escalate things - they have a few of our people captive, so let's not rile up the locals more than necessary.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Leraje wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm
NickAragua wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:31 am [] "Right. Take the rest out." (continue firing)
Don't see the need to escalate things - they have a few of our people captive, so let's not rile up the locals more than necessary.
Good point. We want our people back (in one piece).

Besides, I'm tired of these whiny piss-ants demands for their salvage.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

This time I waited for a couple of other folks to weigh in. I wasn't sure how things were "normally" done.

My other thought was that I don't know how safe things are here. Any chance of more enemies showing up? Seems like it would be better to get what we can for salvage and get out.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Our salvage teams should have plenty of time to load everything up on flatbed trucks and trundle back to our dropships before any more hostiles show up. Finishing off the remaining bad guys will take a couple more rounds at most, where each round is ~10 seconds. Salvage operations usually take a couple of hours.

In some cases, we might consider holding the facility for our own and allied artillery to be based there, but considering that we basically leveled it with fuel-air bombs, that's not really an option. :D
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ah. Thanks. I expected both of those things to take significantly longer.

Still, I don't think that it's a good idea to "rub salt in the wounds", as it were. Seems like it could go from normal warfare enemy territory to lifetime vendetta revenge territory.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:54 pm In some cases, we might consider holding the facility for our own and allied artillery to be based there, but considering that we basically leveled it with fuel-air bombs, that's not really an option. :D
The after-bombing screenies are a thing of beauty. :twisted:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sounds reasonable.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 pm
Sounds reasonable.
Agree.
moleymoleymoley

I
AWS260 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:07 pm
Sounds reasonable.
Agree.
Also agree
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 am I
AWS260 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:07 pm
Sounds reasonable.
Agree.
Also agree
Seems like we got the Archer and the gauss rifle more or less intact as salvage, right? Since those were the most valuable salvage, doesn't seem worth escalation.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Let them go - unanimous
"Relax, cowboy." El Guapo tells the allied mercs. "Do you really want to get tagged as dishonorable by these Kurita guys for a shitty mech with a butt-laser and some Vedettes?"

"What, are you gonna make us?" The merc commander responds.

"Yeah." El Guapo says, flanked by a Thug, an Awesome and a Guillotine bringing up the rear. "You sure you want to ride that dirigible? We could use that Archer your guy was driving." He adds with a smirk.

"What?" The merc pauses momentarily. "You know what, never mind. Stand down, lance."

Once the militia defenders leave the area, the remaining turrets power down and our salvage crews move in.

---

The results of the battle are overall pretty positive. First of all, we've taken out the artillery base (and artillery itself), so we won't have to worry about getting shelled anymore.

Salvage-wise, we're able to grab a basically pristine Wolverine, which is great as we were running low on spares - the mechwarrior inside didn't do too well getting caught in multiple fuel-air explosions and was still unconscious when we put his mech on a flatbed. We also grab the Long Tom, to fill out our artillery battery back to a full lance.

Tech-wise, we salvage a large pulse laser from a turret, and score some gauss ammo. We also grab another Falcon hovertank, those are pretty good. And the two binary lasers out of curiosity. The three Thumpers and the rest of the tank wrecks and turrets, as well as an incredibly beat-up Stinger missing both legs with a caved-in cockpit, we hand over to the Dislocators, keeping our salvage ratio at 48%.

We did lose a Lucifer, but that can be replaced. Damage to our mechs is negligible, while damage to the Manticore and Falcon that we brought can be repaired pretty quickly - they were just mobility kills. For now, Gamma-Strike squadron will receive a Corsair as a replacement.

Delta-Recon lance took some losses - we replace them with a Phoenix Hawk and a Firestarter, slightly lowering the overall speed but adding a little bit of durability. Alpha-Ranger will receive the salvaged Wolverine.

With the battle damage we took, we briefly scale back recon operations for the rest of the week as mechwarriors recover in medbays and mechs receive replacement parts.

---

The second Alpha-Ranger lance gets back out into the field, they catch the local militia trying to set up another artillery base, with several turrets already set up and a reinforced company of light and medium armor milling around. After consulting with El Guapo, we decide to nip this in the bud. With Gamma-Probe already in the area, we call up a lance of our merc buddies as a formality, but by the time they get there, the fight will likely be over.

Alpha Ranger is a Griffin, a Dervish, an Ostroc and the recently-salvaged Wolverine (really, just armor damage, recalibrating the helmet and cleaning out the mechwarrior puke). Gamma-Probe is Akalon driving a Vulcan with some clan-spec medium lasers installed in the torso, AWS with her trusty Phoenix Hawk LAM, Bass in a Star League tech Phoenix Hawk 3M, with a Phoenix Hawk 3D rounding the lance out.

Not like it matters, but our merc buddies will be three LRM Carriers and a Brutus Assault Tank (with LRMs).

There's also snow coming down at a pretty good clip, reducing visibility a little bit, but it'll help our mechs cool off while slowing the bad guys down.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Alpha-Ranger gets an early start, our Ostroc and Wolverine moving to engage a pair of light tanks supporting a Tokugawa heavy - that particular variant sporting an AC/10. The Ostroc's lasers carve armor from the heavy, while our Wolverine blasts bits of tread off of it with its autocannon.

One of the turrets is apparently a pulse laser set up, so our Ostroc takes some armor damage, though the mech's low profile prevents it from being excessive.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Our Griffin jumps west, avoiding an AC/20 blast from a Saladin zipping around (probably because the hovertank's aim was disrupted as our Wolverine stomped on the back of the tank, knocking off a drive fan), then focuses the mech's right arm lasers on a lone Wasp that jumps in. After half a second of intense coherent light being focused on its right torso, the attached arm drops to the ground. A burst from our Wolverine's autocannon rips through the bug mech's center torso armor and it drops to the ground.

Our Ostroc reports major damage to its right arm from an SRM salvo.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
The guy in the Wasp knows when to call it quits apparently, and powers down.

Our Dervish gets surprised by another Saladin zipping in to rapid-fire its autocannon, walking fire up the left leg and to the center of mass - the mech staggers backwards and alarms wail as the heat shoots through the roof. Thankfully, the double heat sinks keep things under control, but the mech still winds up on the ground due to gyro damage.

Our Wolverine disables the Tokugawa heavy with autocannon fire, while our Ostroc trades laser fire with a Bulldog and the cluster of gun emplacements to the southwest, with the results slightly in our favor as the Bulldog takes a little tread damage.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
That damnable Saladin takes off our Ostroc's left arm with its AC/20 - the sudden loss of balance causes our mech to keel over to the left as the mechwarrior overbalances. Our Griffin runs up and retaliates, finally finishing the hovertank off with laser fire.

"Hey, Probe Lance, you guys coming or what?" the mechwarrior asks, putting the 55 ton mech's foot through the top of a Skulker scout tank.

To the north, our Wolverine continues its rampage, blasting a Vedette away with the head-mounted laser and an SRM salvo.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
"Yes. Keep your shirt on." Akalon replies, as Gamma-Probe lance arrives from the south.

"Wasn't planning on it." The mechwarrior in the Griffin replies, kicking over a Packrat.

AWS approaches from the southwest, blasting the remaining Saladin through the left side with the snub-nose PPC, managing to juke at the last second to only catch about half its return autocannon burst across the torso.

"Damn, these clan lasers are pretty good." Akalon exclaims. He only briefly grazed the Scimitar he was aiming at, but our mechwarrior is still impressed with the laser's range.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
"Mother fucker." Akalon states - the Scimitar he was targeting makes an unexpected move in his direction - our mechwarrior is unable to react fast enough, and is tripped up, skidding along the pavement. He's relived, however, to find that the hovertank wound up flipped over. Less relieving is the fact that the pulse laser turret to the west is able to acquire his mech and blast some armor off.

Our Griffin jumps north, disabling another Skulker by spearing it through the engine compartment with a laser, while AWS immobilizes a Vedette by systematically removing its treads with the Phoenix Hawk LAM's lasers. Bass scores a kill on a nearby Bulldog while avoiding incoming rocket fire, putting the Phoenix Hawk's extended-range and pulse lasers to use (holding one of the ER lasers to conserve heat) to melt its treads, then pelt it with machine gun fire for good measure. Our other Phoenix Hawk detonates an SRM Carrier's fuel tank, taking that danger out of action for good.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
"Hope nobody saw that." Akalon mumbles, slightly embarrased as he gets his Vulcan up and out of the line of fire of the pulse laser turret.

Things have settled down a little, with only a Sabaku Kaze hovertank* and a Skulker still mobile, along with a Kestrel VTOL. And some infantry platoons, one of which Bass wipes out with laser and machine gun fire as they try to swarm our other Phoenix Hawk.

With Bass disabling the last Skulker, the Kestrel and Sabaku Kaze decide to call it a day while the remaining infantry squad slinks away.

Not a bad haul - two large pulse lasers, and three Artemis IV fire control systems from the turrets. We grab the Bulldog and Tokugawa as well, then hand the rest of the salvage off to our merc pals for their "help".

We've captured this setup more or less intact - it's actually a good place for our merc buddies to set up artillery to provide fire support in this sector. Of course, we'll probably have to keep a lance around to help defend it in case the militia comes knocking.

[] Commit a lance to defend the artillery site in exchange for "free" artillery support
[] Pass

"Hey, so how come they didn't have all these pulse lasers and stuff on their mechs or tanks?" Bass asks AWS as the two dismount their mechs back on the dropship.

AWS grins like a kid in a candy store. "Well, it's because mechs are a lot more complicated to design." the mechwarrior gestures at the Phoenix Hawk. "This was being developed for what, ten, twenty years? Those Earthwerks people in Marik space had to make sure all the parts fit just right, nothing blows up, they don't rub up against each other the wrong way and short out or pull power cables out..."

"And..." Bass interrupts.

"... with a turret, you basically have no real weight or space limitations. So you just slap down whatever power and cooling systems you want, put a chicken wire fence around it and call it a day. No artistry or design finesse to it at all." The mechwarrior shakes her head disdainfully. "Now this LAM, this is a work of art." she looks up at said LAM with pride. "See this shoulder actuator next to the PPC... "

*The Sabaku Kaze Heavy Scout Hovertank is a Draconis Combine design. The 'scout' designation is amusing, given how much firepower this 50-ton hovercraft packs. Between the six lasers (four medium, two small) in the turret, and four SRM tubes on each end, not to mention the high speed and armor, this thing is a highly unpleasant opponent.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

[X] Commit a lance to defend the artillery site in exchange for "free" artillery support

After all that work we might as well put it to good use.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:25 pm [X] Commit a lance to defend the artillery site in exchange for "free" artillery support

Concur. Although I hope their gunners are halfway competent, or they may be as much danger to us as the enemy.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:25 pm [X] Commit a lance to defend the artillery site in exchange for "free" artillery support

Agreed.
moleymoleymoley

Leraje wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Agreed.
Same, plus I like the chaotic randomness artillery adds to any situation
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Concur. Although I hope their gunners are halfway competent, or they may be as much danger to us as the enemy.
We brought our full force, a company more than required, we can spare a lance. But yeah - hope these guys can hit the broadside of a barn...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Well if there are one too many friendly fire occurrences we can always can always release them from their responsibilities...using our lance to make that happen...permanently. :wink:

(I’m kidding of course...)
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll contribute to making it an unanimous decision.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:16 pm Salvage-wise, we're able to grab a basically pristine Wolverine, which is great as we were running low on spares - the mechwarrior inside didn't do too well getting caught in multiple fuel-air explosions and was still unconscious when we put his mech on a flatbed. We also grab the Long Tom, to fill out our artillery battery back to a full lance.

Tech-wise, we salvage a large pulse laser from a turret, and score some gauss ammo. We also grab another Falcon hovertank, those are pretty good. And the two binary lasers out of curiosity. The three Thumpers and the rest of the tank wrecks and turrets, as well as an incredibly beat-up Stinger missing both legs with a caved-in cockpit, we hand over to the Dislocators, keeping our salvage ratio at 48%.
So what happened with...
El Guapo grins as his PPC shot precisely picks the gauss rifle off the turret where it's mounted, without blowing it up. Amazing!
Did it not turn out to be such a great shot after all? i.e. we could salvage the ammo, but the gun was toast?

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm So what happened with...
El Guapo grins as his PPC shot precisely picks the gauss rifle off the turret where it's mounted, without blowing it up. Amazing!
Did it not turn out to be such a great shot after all? i.e. we could salvage the ammo, but the gun was toast?
Heh, think I got my wires crossed and forgot to write that up. The gauss rifle itself needed a little work, but is now firmly in our warehouse. Along with the ten other gauss rifles that we have.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Hang on to the artillery base - unanimous
We put a few lances on rotating guard duty at the captured artillery firebase as the Dislocators move in.

March 25, 3051
10km outside captured artillery firebase

It doesn't take long for the militia to attempt to send forces to recapture the location - a lance of light mechs from the 36th Dieron escorted by a bunch of hovercraft, light armor and "irregular" units - converted construction mechs and such. Attacking under the cover of a pretty severe storm, they make their way in.

Unfortunately, they didn't count on the fact that Wolf's Striker Lance has a Raven RVN-1X. We acquired this mech some time ago and this is the first chance we've had to put it to real use (other than against the clanners where it got shot up and didn't do much). The on-board combo ECM/sensor suite lets us spot the Kurita forces coming, while they don't see us until it's too late.

We've also got a VTOL that'll be hanging back to provide spotting for the allied artillery (three Long Toms and a Thumper are what they've got working currently), while the Dislocators send two lances of tanks to help out. Well, two of those are Ferret VTOLS (basically little toy helicopters) while one is a Javelin. But anyway.

We briefly consider letting them take the incoming force on themselves, but it seems like it'd be rude since we did promise to help defend the facility.

In addition to the Raven, Wolf is driving a Grasshopper, SgtSoldier is driving a Phoenix Hawk PXH-3D, and we also have the Trebuchet TBT-3C which acquitted itself pretty well against the clanners.

The interception point is another nearby urban area.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
The Dislocators report that two of their artillery pieces (a Long Tom and the Thumper) have malfunctioned, which is pretty obnoxious. On the plus side, one of their little Ferret helicopters strafes a technical (a flatbed truck with an SRM launcher mounted on top) and disables it.

"Hey, I'm showing a coolant truck on sensors." The Raven's pilot explains. "Want to see if we can take it intact so we can cool our Awesomes off again?"

SgtSoldier grins. "It's a bet."

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Our Trebuchet scores a couple of LRM hits on a ScavengerMech down the street, but otherwise this round is pretty light.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
One of the merc Ferrets gets evaporated by lasers from a converted LoaderMech. Not a surprise. Our Trebuchet retaliates by running through the crowd and punching through a wheeled APCs cockpit with lasers while avoiding return fire.

The Raven is the first to get to the coolant truck and inflicts minor damage on the treads but fails to disable it, although a kick does breach armor and cause the crew to rapidly reverse and beat feat. Not that they wouldn't have anyway.

"Spider incoming." Wolf advises the lance. "Rest of their heavies can't be far behind. Let's finish these screening units off."

Round 4:
Spoiler:
The coolant truck skids into a building, putting to an end the driver's ambitions of leaving the field. Some allied artillery finally lands on target, nailing a pair of construction mechs to the point where there's nothing left but bits of metal scattered across the streets. SgtSoldier's mech takes a little shrapnel as well, but not a big deal.

Wolf moves the Grasshopper forward, turning its lasers on the LoaderMech that took out an allied helicopter. The damage causes the target to spin around and fall backwards, where its left arm, along with most of the left torso, comes off upon hitting the ground.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Wolf jumps forward aiming to land next to an APC. Artillery shrapnel shreds one of the Grasshopper's leg actuators, but our mechwarrior compensates and lands upright, carving up another APC in the distance with the mech's lasers before stomping on the original target.

The less said about SgtSoldier's engagement with a Marco*-class mech, the better.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
SgtSoldier gets his revenge, getting up from the ground and zapping the Marco's head off with an extended-range laser blast. Then, weapons fire from the Spider that gets the drop on our mechwarrior breaches the Phoenix Hawk's rear armor and dings the engine. Thankfully, our mechwarrior had the foresight to manage heat a little and so, with the double heat sinks, it's not too bad. Still, our mechwarrior is unable to keep the mech upright and winds up on the ground again.

Wolf lasers a J. Edgar hovertank as it tries to get past our Raven, immobilizing the little vehicle. Our Trebuchet exchanges weapons fire and kicks with a Hussar* as the light mech rips up pavement to try to flank our Grasshopper and Raven - both mechs fall over, but the Hussar is missing a leg.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
SgtSoldier just can't catch a break with that Phoenix Hawk. Between all the debris on the ground from the Marco and the buffeting winds and rain, our mech hits the ground again, cracking the engine shielding a second time, knocking the mechwarrior around as well.

Our Warrior VTOL reports disabling a loose LRM Carrier somewhere to the south, which is always welcome news.

The mechwarrior in the Raven helps SgtSoldier's mech up off the ground and says, with a smirk easily imaginable over the comms - "guess we didn't get our coolant truck."

With artillery shells still coming in, the rest of the militia pull back as their screening force is basically gone. Damage to our units is slightly unpleasant (with damage to SgtSoldier's Phoenix Hawk coming in at a half a million C-Bills), but repairable. Salvage from the screening force we took out is not good enough to quibble over so we just hand it over to the mercs. However, our salvage crews still combing through the artillery base turn up some high-tech hardware, to the tune of two gauss rifles and six ultra autocannon/5s (and several tons of ammo). We can either hand that stuff over to the Dislocators, virtually guaranteeing us the rest of the salvage for the contract short of an operational dropship, or, we can pocket it ourselves, as you can never go wrong with a couple extra gauss rifles and UACs.

[] Let the mercs have some gauss rifles and UACs
[] Keep the loot

*Originally, the Marco was an exploration-focused mech back in the Star League days. It didn't really perform, sales-wise, to the manufacturer's expectations, but what did get manufactured got sold off all over the Inner Sphere.

** The Hussar is a Star League-era recon mech. It's incredibly fast (on the ground) and lightly armored, making it great in open terrain (not so great when it runs straight into a Trebuchet and takes four lasers to the leg assembly). Some down-graded models were gifted to the Draconis Combine by ComStar during the War of '39, but those designs (like the one we just took out) didn't really pan out. We actually hired a mechwarrior once who was driving a legitimate Star League-era Hussar. Her mech got cored out her first mission out, but the extended-range laser we recovered from it was in service all the way until our encounter with the clans.
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

What rule are you using for UAC firing?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Megamek goes by the book, so roll on the cluster table for # of hits.
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:39 pm Megamek goes by the book, so roll on the cluster table for # of hits.
In that case, UACs are kinda meh... Keep the Gauss, give mercs the UACs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Leraje wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm
NickAragua wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:39 pm Megamek goes by the book, so roll on the cluster table for # of hits.
That makes sense.

Any chance we can swap in a gauss rifle into my current Marauder? If it makes sense given our time frame.
Black Lives Matter.
moleymoleymoley

[X] Let the mercs have some gauss rifles and UACs
[] Keep the loot

Gambling on some nicer loot later on
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:40 pm
Leraje wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm
That makes sense.

Any chance we can swap in a gauss rifle into my current Marauder? If it makes sense given our time frame.
I’ll tweak this and say if we can install the gauss into the Marauder then keep one and give the rest to the mercs. If not, give everything to the mercs and we can be free of our salvage obligations.
Black lives matter!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Don't we already have several spare Gauss rifles?

If yes, give to the mercs.
If no, keep the gauss rifles, give the UAC's to mercs.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 am Don't we already have several spare Gauss rifles?

If yes, give to the mercs.
If no, keep the gauss rifles, give the UAC's to mercs.
This makes the most sense to me.

Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

[X] Let the mercs have some gauss rifles and UACs
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:38 pm [X] Let the mercs have some gauss rifles and UACs
Agree.