Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 am [x] Send the damaged Ostroc back to our dropships with an escort
[] Let the allied merc crew have the prisoner
[] Cut the prisoner loose, we're not running a POW camp here
And strap the prisoner to it for further questioning.
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

Leraje wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 am [x] Send the damaged Ostroc back to our dropships with an escort
[] Let the allied merc crew have the prisoner
[] Cut the prisoner loose, we're not running a POW camp here
And strap the prisoner to it for further questioning.
My curiosity is piqued by all this talk of "consequences" so send her back to our dropships
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zenn7
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zenn7 »

$iljanus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:39 pm
Leraje wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 am [x] Send the damaged Ostroc back to our dropships with an escort
[] Let the allied merc crew have the prisoner
[] Cut the prisoner loose, we're not running a POW camp here
And strap the prisoner to it for further questioning.
My curiosity is piqued by all this talk of "consequences" so send her back to our dropships
Can always release him later after he tells us the "consequences" and we inform him of our opinion of his consequences.
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 37016
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by El Guapo »

Do we have a torture droid?
Black Lives Matter.
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:40 pm Do we have a torture droid?
We've got some "truth serum" (brewed by the same guys that mage the dropship engine room hooch). We could also threaten to put her into a bug mech.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:39 pm
Leraje wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 am [x] Send the damaged Ostroc back to our dropships with an escort
[] Let the allied merc crew have the prisoner
[] Cut the prisoner loose, we're not running a POW camp here
And strap the prisoner to it for further questioning.
My curiosity is piqued by all this talk of "consequences" so send her back to our dropships
+1

I think we should at least take a bit of time to ask our own questions before handing her over.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Send prisoner back with Ostroc - unanimous
The mechwarrior in the Ostroc unceremoniously scoops the captured, ranting Kurita mechwarrior in the mech's hand. "Take a break, lady." He tells her, then marches off as the salvage crews begin their advance.

--

Beta-Assault escorts the convoy, but are engaged before any of the Alpha lances can get there. At least our air support is able to close in, just in time to engage hostile aerospace fighters.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Image
Zenn7 watches one of the hostile fighters, a Lightning, get on the tail of one of our Shilones and let rip with the AC/20, along with multiple rocket launcher pods - our fighter barely has time to drop all its bombs before its shredded by the overwhelming firepower. At least our fighter's bombs take out a pair of tanks - a Scorpion and an LRM Carrier.

Our second Shilone drops its bombs as well, legging a pair of light mechs and knocking down a third, but is targeted by a second Lightning, which "only" inflicts major engine damage, forcing our aerospace fighter to retreat.

The Starfire remains un-targeted, allowing the aero jock to drop a load of cluster bombs on a few tanks - two Scorpions and an LRM Carrier.

The puzzling event is when the hostile Stingray drops a few rather high-yield fuel-air bombs on a cluster of hovertanks closing in. They're pretty far out, so we don't really get a good visual, other than a massive conflagration and several secondary explosions.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Image
"No, wait, guys, I'm good!" The Shilone pilot reports happily. "Just a lot of vibration from all those explosions."

Thanks to all the air support and "air support", the credible hostile force has now been reduced to about three tank lances.

Zenn7 observes a Hussar (a super fast, 30-ton, star league era recon mech with a large laser) closing in on one of the lead convoy elements and blasts it with the Awesome's PPCs. Normally, a dodging and weaving Hussar would be hard to hit, but our mechwarrior's long years of operating these machines serve him well, and all three shots hit. The right is sheared off just below the knee joint, while the front-mounted laser and most of the left side of the mech simply disappears. Our mechwarrior smirks as the poor little mech stumbles forward, face first into the ground, and its heat indicators spike. "I think you and I are going to get along just fine." He tells his mech.

Our aerospace fighters return fire against the hostile aircraft, inflicting some damage, and our Victor joins in with anti-aircraft fire as well, blasting the Stingray with a gauss slug.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Image
Our air support continues dueling with the hostile air support, one of the enemy Lightnings being forced off the battlefield trailing smoke, while the other gets shot down by a combination of our and ground fire.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Image
Our Victor goes for a hat trick, firing lasers and SRMs at a nearby Galleon tank, breaching its armor, while the gauss rifle is directed at a nearby Wasp, but the bug mech ducks just in time.

The small group of hostiles near the Victor take the leg off one of the convoy units, a Harvester Ant carrying a bunch of loot in its cargo bay, the poor bastard stalling his ICE engine.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Image
"What the hell are you doing?" Our Victor's mechwarrior asks, mystified, as the Harvester Ant's driver powers down and climbs out. A brief distraction by a nearby Scimitar ends with that tank immobilized, while our remaining Shilone strafes a second nearby hovertank down. The Hatamoto-Hi to the south engages a Wasp as the enemy mech comes in for a kick - pulse lasers stagger the little guy, then a one-two punch (our mechwarrior holds the PPCs to conserve heat) removes the bug mech's head.

The remainder of the enemy light units bolts, and the hostile aerospace fighters don't come back - the lance of assault mechs remains at maximum sensor range and does not engage our force.

Damage to our units is light, other than losing a Shilone entirely. Losing the agromech is annoying, as we'll have to either get it fixed up or have our mechs haul the cargo it was carrying. Salvage is pretty decent but nothing special - a couple of TAG Scimitars for spare NARC ammo and ferro-fibrous armor, plus some other wrecked light units. Still, we have somewhere to be and the longer we linger, the more opportunity the locals will have to bring more forces in to try to re-capture what the convoy is carrying.

[] Stick around for our salvage crews to show up and haul everything away (full salvage, some risk of further combat)
[] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)
[] Transfer cargo from the Harvester and and get moving (no salvage, unit losses on our allies' end, no risk of further combat)

[AN: I was expecting this fight to be a lot tougher, but about half the bad guys' hovercraft piled up next to each other and that one Stingray just whooshed the whole lot of them with fuel-air bombs, forcing a retreat before the assault mechs even got to the fight]
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm [] Stick around for our salvage crews to show up and haul everything away (full salvage, some risk of further combat)
[x] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)
[] Transfer cargo from the Harvester and and get moving (no salvage, unit losses on our allies' end, no risk of further combat)

[AN: I was expecting this fight to be a lot tougher, but about half the bad guys' hovercraft piled up next to each other and that one Stingray just whooshed the whole lot of them with fuel-air bombs, forcing a retreat before the assault mechs even got to the fight]
We need to send a thank-you bottle of "Octopus reactor special" to the Stinray pilot.
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

Leraje wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:32 pm
NickAragua wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm [] Stick around for our salvage crews to show up and haul everything away (full salvage, some risk of further combat)
[x] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)
[] Transfer cargo from the Harvester and and get moving (no salvage, unit losses on our allies' end, no risk of further combat)

[AN: I was expecting this fight to be a lot tougher, but about half the bad guys' hovercraft piled up next to each other and that one Stingray just whooshed the whole lot of them with fuel-air bombs, forcing a retreat before the assault mechs even got to the fight]
We need to send a thank-you bottle of "Octopus reactor special" to the Stinray pilot.
Agree. Except that I don't think we have the info on the Stingray pilot.


Also... can we ask our prisoner about the friendly fire? This is like the third time. Seems like there is something going on. It would be nice to see if we can leverage it.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Stefan Stirzaker
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Who is this mysterious third party... :think:
Zenn7
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:29 pm
Leraje wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:32 pm
NickAragua wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm [] Stick around for our salvage crews to show up and haul everything away (full salvage, some risk of further combat)
[x] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)
[] Transfer cargo from the Harvester and and get moving (no salvage, unit losses on our allies' end, no risk of further combat)

[AN: I was expecting this fight to be a lot tougher, but about half the bad guys' hovercraft piled up next to each other and that one Stingray just whooshed the whole lot of them with fuel-air bombs, forcing a retreat before the assault mechs even got to the fight]
We need to send a thank-you bottle of "Octopus reactor special" to the Stinray pilot.
Agree. Except that I don't think we have the info on the Stingray pilot.


Also... can we ask our prisoner about the friendly fire? This is like the third time. Seems like there is something going on. It would be nice to see if we can leverage it.
Agreed and good idea on the Friendly Fire question.
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

[] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)

It sounds like the salvage is not worth lingering over so let's fix our Ant and get back to our regularly scheduled program!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6743
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by gbasden »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:39 pm [] Stick around long enough to get the Harvester Ant back up and limping (no salvage, no unit losses on our allies' end, minor risk of further combat)

It sounds like the salvage is not worth lingering over so let's fix our Ant and get back to our regularly scheduled program!
Agree.
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Stick around long enough to repair the Harvester Ant - 6
Stick around long enough to salvage everything - 2
"Can't you just limp where you're going on three legs?" Zenn7 asks.

"Not if you want me to carry the cargo as well." The pilot reports.

"Fine." Our commander sighs. "How long?"

"Well, we need to replace the r-three-cee and r-three-four actuators, then lift the leg up at forty... "

"The time, please, not the detailed description of the entire procedure."

"Eight hours."

"Fine. Get to work." Zenn7 responds.

---

Predictably, eight hours is long enough for the planetary militia to get a second force together. While their assault mechs stand off beyond maximum range, keeping ours in place, they try to get another light tank company and a medium mech lance or two around the other side.

Gamma-Probe and Delta-Ranger have been rotated in, however and are there to stop this advance, along with the two Falcon hovertanks. As usual, we've got the allied artillery firing, although they appear to have shot their Arrow IV launchers dry, so we're stuck with the usual Long Toms and Thumpers.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Image
This is looking like a classic Mercer Ravannion rush (back in the 3020s, this guy argued that he could complete any objectives by throwing lots of cheap, fast units at it. He tried several times with bug mechs and failed miserably). The incoming light units' weapons fire is ineffective, while Bass lines up the Phoenix Hawk's large laser and nearly takes a Stinger's leg off.

The main thing to watch out for will be the Grasshopper moving down the field.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Image
Akalon jumps north into a small lake, the water helping him avoid some damage from SRMs, and unloads on a J. Edgar hovertank. A laser breaches armor, allowing the machine gun to disable the hovertank's engine, oil spraying every which way. The mechwarrior lifts the flamer up to avoid detonating the whole thing.

Bass jumps back and continues targeting the Stinger, this time switching to pulse lasers - one stitches down the damaged leg, severing it, the other goes up into the center of mass, gutting the engine shielding - the bug mech goes down, nearly setting the surrounding grass on fire.

A Jenner charges up to the other Phoenix Hawk, eating multiple lasers to its right weapons mount for its trouble - the two medium lasers there go limp as the section blackens, and the 35-ton mech stumbles to a knee. Our Phoenix Hawk takes the opportunity to crack its damaged leg, snapping a pair of actuators.

AWS zooms forward, faking out a Scimitar which crashes into a nearby tree - our LAM is now in the back of the enemy formation, and will be cycling back and forth. Trying out a new trick, our LAM pilot descends to ground level for a better shot at the end of the LAM's flight arc - a couple of lasers and a solid kick upon landing to the back of a Scorpion tank takes it out. "Nice." Our mechwarrior comments with surprising brevity.

One of our Falcon hovertanks bags a Scorpion with laser and SRM fire, blasting the treads off the left side of the tank.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Image
"Like a good neighbor, Delta-Ranger is here!" Freyland calls out as his lance arrives from the south to shore things up.

"Doesn't even rhyme." Akalon grumbles, jumping south to chase after an escaping Maxim hover transport.

Bass runs forward, breaking into a cluster of light tanks and a Wasp - the Wasp eats a large and two medium lasers to the back and flops forward a smoking wreck.

A Scimitar hovertank tries to close in on our other Phoenix Hawk - the anti-missile system whines as it tries to take out the NARC pod, but can't score a hit and the beacon attaches to our mech. Luckily, the follow up SRM salvo goes wide anyway. All this action distracts our mechwarrior from the Jenner, which manages to struggle up and limp away from the action.

Freyland's lance scores some grazing laser hits on some helicopters flying by, but the rotor craft avoid the worst of it and get away. The guy in the Stinger, meanwhile, just gives up and climbs out after powering down.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Image
"The hell's wrong with this thing?" Bass exclaims, punching a couple of buttons to turn off the comms system. "Don't tell me my heat's at nineteen hundred, I know it's at twenty three hundred, my mech's doesn't have that many heat sinks!" On the plus side, heat's going to be less of an issue now, because one of the hostile tanks, a Bulldog, blasts Bass' Phoenix Hawk with its main gun (a large laser), frying the left-arm pulse laser.

The Hooch n' Scooch takes down a Vedette with SRMs to the treads, while one of our Griffins disables a Saracen hovertank.

AWS gets on the back of an enemy Panther (almost literally), giving it a solid kick as the Phoenix Hawk LAM flies by, but the 35-ton mech is pretty tough and survives despite a major foot-shaped dent in its rear armor.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Image
The Hooch n' Scooch takes down its third tank of the day, a Galleon. The Upskirt tries to keep up, detonating another Galleon's fuel tank, but the return fire deflates our hovertank's air cushion, disabling it as well.

Freyland's lance takes out a large number of hovertanks, Freyland and the Dervish bagging a Scimitar each, while the Griffin stomps a Saladin into the ground.

The remainder of the hostiles beat a retreat, as, at this point, they can barely even provide a distraction for our assault mechs guarding the convoy under repair.

Freyland smirks. "Way to throw good money after bad, guys. Salvage teams, move to these coordinates, you've got a couple of hours to pick at wrecks and get this damn Falcon working again."

This time, the allied artillery reached an all new low, not landing a single hit anywhere near any hostile unit. Somewhat understandable, the bastards wouldn't stay still. Salvage is mostly crap, but, at this point, we've got a few hours so we might as well grab some hovertank wrecks, especially those TAG Scimitars with their sweet ferro-fibrous armor, fancy missiles and TAG lasers.

---

"... ok, look, I heard you the first time." Moley says, in frustration. "We're not really helping retrieve what we think we're helping retrieve, we're going to attract the attention of higher up military intelligence..." he snaps his fingers, trying to recall.

Hyena leans in and whispers.

"... oh right, and you can't or don't want to tell us what we're actually retrieving, because it's classified. Did I get it about right?"

The mechwarrior scowls.

"So why do those dark blue aerospace fighters with no IFF tags keep coming in and shooting at us during fights?" Moley smirks. "Well, mostly you guys. But I hear they took out one of our fighters recently, too. "

"Even if I knew, I wouldn't tell mercenary scum like you." the mechwarrior responds, shaking her head defiantly. "Release me, and perhaps my superiors will show you mercy."

"I'll think about it." Moley replies.

---

"Well, that's a dead end. Hey, want to go visit our uh, co-workers' compound? See if it's really biotech equipment we're stealing or some other crazy stuff?" Hyena asks.

Moley rubs his chin and thinks. "The convoy should be coming back to the Dislocator landing zone in a few hours, we ought to have a chance to sneak in and poke around. If we wanted to."

[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

Oooh, I like me some intrigue. Now just gotta decide if we should tell El Guapo so he can do damage control if things go pear shaped.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6743
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[X] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
We should make sure the blimp brigades are ready to mount a rescue if needed!
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[X] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
We should make sure the blimp brigades are ready to mount a rescue if needed!
And we can make our insertion into the compound using blimps!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[X] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
We should make sure the blimp brigades are ready to mount a rescue if needed!
I'm in. I don't like the idea that we are being lied to. It may give us some leverage to re-negotiate. Especially since it seems to affect the amount/type of defense we are running into.

Also... is this cross-posted somewhere else? I only counted 5 responses to the previous question, but the tally came back at 8.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm [] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[x] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
I hate being reasonable, but if we do not know what exactly we are escorting, than we can't be held accountable for whatever Dislocaters did. Plausible deniability at its best.
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

Leraje wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:13 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:49 pm [] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Don't tell anyone for plausible deniability, and also because they might say no.
[] Go sneak around the Dislocators' compound. Tell their commanding officer, El Guapo, just in case.
[x] Forget it, we're just here to shoot things and get paid, not get involved in intrigue.
I hate being reasonable, but if we do not know what exactly we are escorting, than we can't be held accountable for whatever Dislocaters did. Plausible deniability at its best.
Do we still have plausible deniability if we don't "officially" know. If they haven't told us, then it gives us some flexibility. Also, there are definitely 'bad things', at least in current life, where plausible deniability doesn't matter; you can still be held accountable. For some things being able to say you didn't know isn't enough. So the question is, what is the likelihood of that?

Also, what happened to the "truth serum"? Seems like we gave up on the interrogation pretty quickly.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

TheMix wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:17 pm Also, what happened to the "truth serum"? Seems like we gave up on the interrogation pretty quickly.
Dracs can't hold their liq... "truth serum" :wink:
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:04 pm Also... is this cross-posted somewhere else? I only counted 5 responses to the previous question, but the tally came back at 8.
Yep. Here: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... -g2.88973/
Truth serum
What's presented is basically a brief summary of the outcome, which is that we didn't get much info out of our prisoner other than ranting and vague implications. We've never been too good at subterfuge, so it's not too surprising.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Sneak around Dislocator compound, tell El Guapo - |||||
Pass - ||
April 6, 3051
Raindl Biotech Complex
Saffel, Draconis Combine (Dieron Military District)

"We've got a problem, Fire Lance." Delta-Recon's lance leader reports. "Looks like the locals got spooked and have moved their shipping timetable up - they've got cargo trucks and mechs moving stuff out right now."

Cylus sighs. "Understood. Well, we'll better equipped for a night raid anyway. Beta-Fire lance moving in. Hope we can catch up."

We probably can - we've got a lance of light, jump-capable mechs (Firestarter, Assassin, Phoenix Hawk, Spider) and a lance of... well, two heavy jump-capable mechs (Cylus/Grasshopper, TheMix/Crusader) and two... not so jump-capable mechs (Archer, Stalker). Our allied mercs bring in a couple of Hunter light support tanks (each basically a mobile LRM/15 launcher), a Striker light tank and a Warrior attack helicopter to help out.

The facility itself is pretty well-fortified, and we really want to avoid getting close, so the goal will be to intercept the convoy moving out and take it out. The mobile defenders are nothing special, a mixture of heavy and light armor, with some hovertanks. Plus a single Quickdraw.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Image
Searchlights flare out as our light mechs approach. One searchlight goes right back out as the Warrior's AC/5 rattles and blows out treads and wheels on a laser carrier. A PPC lances back out from the compound, disabling the merc Striker tank.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Image
An explosion lights up the sky above the compound as a hostile Warrior helicopter suffers a catastrophic autocannon malfunction. The allied Warrior, meanwhile, rattles its AC/5, disabling a hovertank.

An AC/20 roars from within the compound as well, and one of the allied Hunter light support tanks disappears from our sensors before an LRM salvo lands on a building and the autocannon fire ceases.

Our Assassin helps out as well, kicking through a Scorpion tank's armor after blasting a bunch off with its laser and SRM.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Image
Our mechs zip in on jump jets, engaging enemy units up close. Our Phoenix Hawk loses its right arm to missile fire, which isn't great as that's where most of the guns are. However, the mechwarrior manages to punch through the armor on a Galleon light tank, forcing a retreat. Our Spider gets two solid laser hits on the Quickdraw while avoiding rocket fire, and the Firestarter disables a Manticore tank by fusing its right-side treads. Said Firestarter gets mauled by SRMs though, and forced to a knee.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Image
The Firestarter gets up, taking some fire from the Quickdraw, which has given up on the Spider. Our mech's right arm takes an armor breach, but it's able to punch through a Skulker's armor. Said Spider, meanwhile, jumps north and completely demolishes a cargo-hauling Firemech in the central part of the compound - our mech heats up quite a bit, but that's one cargo carrier that won't be making it out of there.

Our Phoenix Hawk engages the Icarus, causing and receiving a left leg armor breach. With the left leg in tatters and reinforcements still almost a minute away, it may be time for the Phoenix Hawk to pull back.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Image
The Spider and Assassin break north, trying to catch up to some of the cargo units escaping in that direction, while the Phoenix Hawk disengages. On the way, the Assassin disables a Tokugawa tank, causing the heavy armor to get stuck inside a building. Our Firestarter takes out a Rock Hound trying to clear out to the southeast, firing small lasers and a flamer, as well as delivering a kick - the cargo mech staggers but remains upright, and looks for a second as if it'll ignore the damage. Then its SRM ammo bin explodes.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Image
The Spider catches up to a ScavengerMech, but, instead of delivering a relatively devastating kick to the rear, trips and has to take a knee to avoid falling over. Otherwise, our mechs temporarily disengage, waiting for the heavier lance to show up and take over.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
Image
Our Phoenix Hawk comes back, careful to stay clear of the LRM and SRM turret, engaging the Icarus. Our mech takes armor damage but destroys the slower enemy mech's left leg, sending it to the ground.

The Spider makes up for its embarrasing performance last turn by cracking several actuators on the ScavengerMech's leg as well, while our Firestarter jumps in and removes one of the legs from the heavy-duty Deadalus.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Image
Our mechs spend the next few seconds in evasive action, continuing to harass the hostiles to hold them up long enough for our reinforcements to get there. The Dislocators' Warrior takes a few LRMs, causing an armor breach, and the pilot opts to disengage. Good job by that guy, he took out two tanks and attracted quite a bit of fire that would otherwise have gone at us.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
Image
Our Assassin jumps north to engage an SRM Carrier, immobilizing it with a few side shots, but takes LRM fire from the Quickdraw and a bunch of SRMs from the nearby Scimitar hovertank, losing a pair of jump jets on the right torso.

To the north, our Spider uses its lasers to cut an "ordnance transport" truck in half, leaving less than half of the cargo carrying units still trying to stumble around in the dark.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Image
Cylus and TheMix finally arrive, giving our recon lance a much-needed break. "Delta-Recon lance, disengage and fall back. We've got it from here."

"Recon three here." the Spider reports. "I'm still combat effective, remaining on station to the northeast to prevent escapees."

"Understood." Cylus responds.

The first thing our Archer and Stalker do is engage the 40-tube LRM turret in the south of the compound - it's been really putting the hurt on our light mechs, so it needs to go. However, the building is pretty tough, so it stays up despite the swarm of LRMs and couple of large laser blasts that hit it.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Image
To the north, our Spider picks off a Saladin - the hovertank can't outmaneuver the nimble mech and is cut to ribbons by the Spider's lasers.

Cylus lets the rest of the lance keep engaging the LRM bunker while targeting a Quickdraw with a few lasers. Not enough to penetrate armor, but a few good hits.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Image
TheMix finishes off the LRM turret that had given us so much trouble, lobbing LRMs from the Crusader over a wall using targeting data provided by our Archer, which engages more directly. Cylus jumps after the Quickdraw, blasting away at a dump truck nearby. The 150-ton vehicle explodes pretty spectacularly. With the Spider finishing off one last cargo mech up north, that's it for the cargo units.

There's still a lance of light armor and the Quickdraw, in addition to a few active turrets. Beta-Fire lance has minor armor damage, as does the Spider, but everyone is in pretty good shape otherwise. The rest of Delta-Recon has retreated, with the Assassin hanging back at the compound periphery with the merc Hunter tank, providing LRM support. How do we want to handle the rest of this scenario?

[] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.

---

El Guapo listens when Moley and Hyena tell him the idea, then nods, approving.

"Just don't get caught. I've got some ideas for some distractions I could run."

The company commander considers his options. We've got an assault planned on another biochem storage compound to seize it temporarily so that our allies can loot it. We can move up the time table "due to additional recon data indicating more hostile units closing in", and request additional support, thus reducing the number of personnel at the HQ. The downside here is that we actually have to move up the timetable, so our selection of available support will be limited, and any aerospace units we send in won't be able to take external ordnance (aka bombs).

Also, one of our patrols has detected a local militia patrol near the current Dislocator HQ. We could take our time intercepting said patrol, forcing the Dislocators to scramble and thus reducing the number of personnel actually present at the HQ. The downside here is possible risk of revealing Dislocator HQ... again.

[] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

Some tough choices this time...
[X] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
My gut says we completed our objective, so it's time to go. However, I will yield to my lance leader. Also, I don't have any idea if there is anything worth looting. If there is, then it seems like the second option is the no-brainer.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
While the second option seems safer, if they have to move again, it'll probably cost us in the long run. So I guess the first option, since we were going to do it anyway.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 37016
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by El Guapo »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm Some tough choices this time...
[X] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
My gut says we completed our objective, so it's time to go. However, I will yield to my lance leader. Also, I don't have any idea if there is anything worth looting. If there is, then it seems like the second option is the no-brainer.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
While the second option seems safer, if they have to move again, it'll probably cost us in the long run. So I guess the first option, since we were going to do it anyway.
I agree with these choices. I'm assuming that we wouldn't expect to get anything interesting from the loot, and I'm also assuming that the Dislocators will be essentially required to provide support for the assault.
Black Lives Matter.
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:09 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm Some tough choices this time...
[X] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
My gut says we completed our objective, so it's time to go. However, I will yield to my lance leader. Also, I don't have any idea if there is anything worth looting. If there is, then it seems like the second option is the no-brainer.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
While the second option seems safer, if they have to move again, it'll probably cost us in the long run. So I guess the first option, since we were going to do it anyway.
I agree with these choices. I'm assuming that we wouldn't expect to get anything interesting from the loot, and I'm also assuming that the Dislocators will be essentially required to provide support for the assault.
Agreed.
Zenn7
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm Some tough choices this time...
[X] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
My gut says we completed our objective, so it's time to go. However, I will yield to my lance leader. Also, I don't have any idea if there is anything worth looting. If there is, then it seems like the second option is the no-brainer.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
While the second option seems safer, if they have to move again, it'll probably cost us in the long run. So I guess the first option, since we were going to do it anyway.
Agree with the assault. On the loot front - do we know what was in those cargo containers? Do we want/need to know? (Or, if we do know, is it something we might really want?). If it's all NO, then yeah, no looting. If any are yes though, maybe we should stick around to loot.
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:21 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm Some tough choices this time...
[X] Cargo units are down, the cargo isn't going anywhere. Job's done, let's pull back.
[] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
My gut says we completed our objective, so it's time to go. However, I will yield to my lance leader. Also, I don't have any idea if there is anything worth looting. If there is, then it seems like the second option is the no-brainer.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
[] We've detected a patrolling force coming close to the Dislocator HQ. Take our time in responding so that they have to scramble.
While the second option seems safer, if they have to move again, it'll probably cost us in the long run. So I guess the first option, since we were going to do it anyway.
Agree with the assault. On the loot front - do we know what was in those cargo containers? Do we want/need to know? (Or, if we do know, is it something we might really want?). If it's all NO, then yeah, no looting. If any are yes though, maybe we should stick around to loot.
I agree. I’d just leave it under normal circumstances but aren’t the things being stored on this planet by EvilCorp kind of mysterious and thus possibly valuable?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 6743
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by gbasden »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 pm

I agree. I’d just leave it under normal circumstances but aren’t the things being stored on this planet by EvilCorp kind of mysterious and thus possibly valuable?
Yeah, it seems like that would be a great chance to poke around and figure out what's going on. Staying and looting may pay off in other ways.
Black Lives Matter!
User avatar
Cylus Maxii
Posts: 3300
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Cylus Maxii »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:44 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 pm

I agree. I’d just leave it under normal circumstances but aren’t the things being stored on this planet by EvilCorp kind of mysterious and thus possibly valuable?
Yeah, it seems like that would be a great chance to poke around and figure out what's going on. Staying and looting may pay off in other ways.
I agree - we should poke around.

[X] Take out the remaining mobile units, secure the location for looting.
[X] Move up the timetable for an assault on another biochem storage compound, requesting additional support from the Dislocators to reduce their presence at their HQ.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Bug out, unless the cargo has cool loot.
Cylus thinks there maybe cool loot.

Move up the assault timetable - unanimous
Cylus looks at the Quickdraw. Our mechwarrior knows that the Grasshopper can take a stock Quickdraw pretty easily, even if it's got a couple of hovertank buddies. Whether there's any good loot in those crates that are now mostly abandoned on the ground? Well, we wouldn't know until we crack them open.

So that's the call Cylus makes. Our Archer blasts a small laser turret off the top of a building, while Cylus squashes a Galleon tank that gets in the way. The Quickdraw loses a leg, then blows itself up trying to get up, while a Harasser gets squashed flat. The only real damage on our end (other than major internal damage to the Delta-Recon Lance mechs) is a leg actuator on Cylus' Grasshopper.

We call in the salvage crews to recover the disabled allied merc vehicles as well as the cargo, picking up several notable sealed metal containers, as well as four Artemis IV guidance systems.

----

"Wow, maybe moving up the attack timetable wasn't the best plan." El Guapo notes, approaching the target facility. For a corporate biotech storage facility, this place has an awful lot of turrets. And assault tanks. We count three Behemoths and a Demolisher, a short assault mech lance (a Hatatmoto-Chi, a BattleMaster, and an Orion), plus a light-medium mech lance and assorted medium and heavy support tanks.

On our side, we've got El Guapo's Heavy Lance and Siljanus' Beta-Hunter lance, plus we brought some heavy stuff from our end: a salvaged Schrek PPC Carrier and a Demon tank. We also have a lance of allied merc armor.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Image
We move up down some streets, exchanging long-range fire. Thud and El Guapo each score a PPC hit on a Rhino fire support tank, while Isgrimnur works on a Manticore, blasting armor off its right side with the Thug's twin PPCs.

The Rhino is what one would call incredibly tough, being basically 80 tons of armor and LRMs. Normally the way to deal with one is to get close, but we don't currently have that option.

Oh, and our Demon tank gets immobilized by a bunch of stray LRMs. Good job there, guys. At least it gets a gauss shot off on the Manticore, pinging a slug off the turret.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Image
As the Demon's crew bails out, Isgrimnur jumps into an alleyway to the side, intending to avoid the firepower about to come his way. Our main force, meanwhile, focuses fire on the Rhino, intending to take the damn thing out. Despite taking three PPC and multiple laser hits, the damn thing just won't die. But thankfully, our Guillotine puts its foot through a weakened armor section, destroying the assault tank and taking its fifty LRM tubes out of action.

The allied Drillson gets disabled by a PPC coming down a cross street, fired off by a Hatamoto-Chi coming from the south. Annoying. El Guapo returns the favor slightly by swatting a Galleon with one of the Marauder's PPCs and a burst from the autocannon, then breathes a sigh of relief as the Rhino falls apart.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Image
"Let's... not linger at that intersection." Thud muses, watching the Drillson's crew scramble out of their disabled hovercraft.

Isgrimnur watches with some amusement as an artillery round from a Thumper intended for him lands on top of the Manticore that he'd started working on earlier. The weakened right-side armor can't take the force and buckles, letting a good amount of force into the heavy tank's propulsion system. Our mechwarrior takes the opportunity to take a pot shot at one of the artillery turrets in the southeast of the compound instead, barely even noticing the bug mech kicking the back of the Thug's leg.

Other than that, a few LRMs ping off our armor (although our Schrek takes some heavy armor damage and will need to pull back to avoid getting blown away).

Round 4:
[camera feed damaged]
The Schrek doesn't make it, the crew having to bail out after an Orion down the street pings it.

El Guapo engages the Orion, forcing the slightly shorter-ranged mech to sidestep into an alley to avoid major armor breaches.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
Image
El Guapo blasts the LRM Carrier that's been sandpapering our armor away, frying the vehicle with a PPC blast. That's sixty less LRM tubes firing our way. Some missiles and a PPC blast from a turret come our mech's way, but armor holds up.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Image
Our Guillotine takes some serious LRM fire as some jackass paints our mech with targeting data and basically every LRM-equipped unit opens fire. It doesn't come out too badly though, our 70-tonner only takes an armor breach on the leg and loses a heat sink.

Isgrimnur takes the opportunity to blow the top off the triple PPC turret that's been keeping us bottled up in that intersection, while El Guapo pumps a pair of PPC blasts into the Pike that's been pinging AC/2 rounds off our Marauder's armor.

We hear some incoherent screaming over comm and Thud sees a massive explosions to the south. Apparently we'd forgotten about it, but an allied Maxim over there was engaging some hostile forces and its ammo lit up.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
Image
"Hey, Hunter Lance, you coming or what?" El Guapo asks, watching Thud's Awesome take a few LRMs as the two mechwarriors zap armor off the Orion that's decided to step out. Isgrimnur exchanges fire with a Blackjack, then crushes a Vedette immediately after landing the Thug right next to it.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Image
"Yeah, sorry. We're here. Let's get this show on the road."

Siljanus' lance arrives from the southwest, with the exception of Stefan, who runs in behind El Guapo. Our Grasshopper and Mackie focus on the Behemoth that's in the way, PPCs and a gauss slug rattling the tank.

A Manticore rolls around a corner, thinking to get the drop on Isgrimnur as he hops his Thug back to one of his two favorite alleyways, but instead catches most of a twelve-pack of SRMs, along with a PPC. The turret jams, while the right side treads are shredded.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
Image
Siljanus' lance moves into finish the stunned Behemoth. "Watch out, Heavy, you've got an 80-tonner and an assault tank coming your way." our mechwarrior gives El Guapo the heads up.

To the east, Isgrimnur hops on top of a Demolisher tank, avoiding its twin AC/20 firing arc while blasting the top off a quad laser turret to the south - the turret and a Manticore team up on Thud, bringing the Awesome to the a knee as it returns fire - somehow, between it, El Guapo's Marauder and Stefan's Merlin coming up from behind, the three mechs still manage to not disable the lone heavy tank.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Image
"Oh shit, behind us!" Stefan calls out. Seems that we missed a lance of hovertanks somewhere, backed up by a Brutus assault tank with twin PPCs, coming up right behind most of El Guapo's lance. Not great.

"Well, there goes any chance of a hit and run." El Guapo remarks.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Image
Thud finally takes down that obnoxiously tough Manticore. All the PPCs in the world can't seem to penetrate the tank's armor, but when Thud fires the small laser instead of a PPC to manage heat, the little (by comparison) beam goes right through a hole in the armor and fries the crew.

Our Guillotine loses a leg to one of the tanks coming up from behind, the lasers from a Zephyr slicing through the upper leg and hip joints to wreck the limb entirely and drop our mech to the ground.

El Guapo's mech takes a pounding as well, losing armor in multiple locations and blowing out the autocannon. Smoke pouring out of the mech, our mechwarrior disengages and breaks down an alleyway, stomping over the top of a short building.

Round 12:
[camera feed damaged]
Our Guillotine tries to get up, but fire from the Hatamoto-Chi and supporting tanks keeps our mech down. Stefan jumps back to support, blowing away a Hunter tank to the north with a blast from the clan-spec PPC and a laser. That doesn't help the Guillotine much, as it loses most of the right side to being curb-stomped by the Kurita mechwarrior driving the Hatamoto-Chi.

Round 13:
Spoiler:
Image
"Sorry boss, my mech is done. Bailing out." our Guillotine's operator reports.

The Orion isn't having any of El Guapo's "I'm retreating" nonsense and gives chase. Our mechwarrior responds with a pair of PPCs to the right section, blowing off the fellow 75-tonner's right arm.

Thud's Awesome loses both arms to indirect LRM fire directed by a Zephyr that zips by. And also the mechwarrior gets knocked unconscious, falling over.

The only positive things that happen are that Stefan disables a Manticore tank with a blast from the "ol' reliable" clan PPC, frying its left-side treads, while Siljanus' Guillotine buddy takes out a Tokugawa tank with laser fire.

Round 14:
Spoiler:
Image
Siljanus' Guillotine pal blows up a building containing a whole bunch of LRM ammo, silencing a turret in the process.

The Orion abandons attacking El Guapo for a moment, going after easier prey - Thud's Awesome. A pair of lasers hit the assault mech in the head - the auto-ejection seat fires, but whether the mechwarrior is in one piece remains to be seen. El Guapo's attempts to stop the Orion don't work out too well, either.

To the south, things are going pretty well, though. Our Grasshopper, after half a minute of prying off the turret, finally finishes off the Behemoth, while Siljanus looks at an SRM Carrier coming around a corner, mouths "aw hell no", and runs up to splatter it.

Round 15:
[no camera feed]
Other than El Guapo spending a couple of seconds finding and hitting the "dump ammo" button for the AC/5 ammo, nothing much happens.

Round 16:
Spoiler:
Image
El Guapo gets lucky, and the Pegasus/Zephyr team comes by to blow off his mech's right arm and most of the torso only after the AC/5 ammo finishes clattering to the ground. Stefan runs up behind the Pegasus and takes it out with "Ol' Reliable", though, while El Guapo's mech will eventually get put back together.

Round 17:
[camera feed damaged]
Siljanus steps away from an incoming Thumper round and uses the Mackie's weapons to blow away a dual PPC turret. The only problem is that the mech heats up pretty bad, but we'll take a cooling break.

To the east, Isgrimnur finally finishes off the Demolisher which has been greatly restricting his movement with suppression fire from the AC/20s. It was a duel for the ages - two lighter mechs constantly picking at our Thug, which would jump in, take a crack at the assault tank, then jump out. But now the main source of trouble is gone, and our mechwarrior cracks his knuckles.

Round 18:
Spoiler:
Image
Isgrimnur charges at the Blackjack, firing SRMs to slow the lighter mech down, one of the missiles making contact with the cockpit. This lets our mechwarrior close in and nearly crack the 45 tonner's leg.

To the south, Siljanus pivots, blasting the nearby Bulldog's engine block out.

[Camera feed, Heavy-One, terminated] [Camera feed, Hunter-Three, terminated].

Round 19:
Spoiler:
Image
"Captain, what the hell's going on down there?" Siljanus asks, watching El Guapo's status indicator fuzz and wink out.

"Doesn't look too good, Lieutenant." Hunter-Two reports. "Looks like his mech just dropped to the ground. Can't get in contact with Stefan, either."

"Ugh." Siljanus looks at the situation. There's still the Hatamoto-Chi active, plus what looks like a BattleMaster and another assault tank out there, although they've been strangely reluctant to join the fight so far. Additionally, there's another hovercraft and a Vedette. At this point, we've got a Mackie with a big hole in the cockpit and a large chunk of its armor gone, plus two 70-tonners that are in pretty good shape, and Isgrimnur's Thug which is firmly in the yellow. Basically three options here:

[] Pull back unilaterally, leave our mechs for later.
[] Suggest a cease fire so we can retrieve our disabled mechs and merc tanks (they might not go for it).
[] Keep shooting, we might pull out a win.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 37016
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:21 pm

[] Pull back unilaterally, leave our mechs for later.
[X] Suggest a cease fire so we can retrieve our disabled mechs and merc tanks (they might not go for it).
[] Keep shooting, we might pull out a win.
#LeaveNoGuapoBehind
Black Lives Matter.
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 70728
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scrape up the Guapamole if we can.
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
Stefan Stirzaker
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Cease fire but if not then Keep shooting! Must retrieve ol reliable!
Zenn7
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zenn7 »

WHOA... The Guap really hit the fan this time!

Cease fire, if not... keep fighting, don't let Guap die alone!
User avatar
Leraje
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Leraje »

#2, failing that execute #3. And watch out for Guap splatters.
User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12751
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: New England...or under your bed

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by $iljanus »

Offer the cease fire of course.

And when they reject it, kill them all.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
User avatar
Cylus Maxii
Posts: 3300
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Cylus Maxii »

[X] Suggest a cease fire so we can retrieve our disabled mechs and merc tanks (they might not go for it).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
User avatar
TheMix
Posts: 8659
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by TheMix »

I hate to leave a man behind. So I'll support the previous votes.

Hoping to avoid a TPK.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 14739
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by Zarathud »

Owch! I hope to have my face left.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Post Reply