MLB The Show 2021

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

MLB The Show 2021

Post by malchior »

I don't know if anyone else is playing this but just a warning to others that the game has become a hot mess recently. I've been enjoying it but they've been rolling out hot fixes daily and they keep introducing new broken and weird behaviors.

For example, the custom ballplayer stopped progressing for me in Road to the Show mode. I found out this is a bug. There are various workarounds and they claim they fixed it...but it hasn't worked. I fear I'm going to have to restart it since none have worked for me.

They rolled out a fix on Wednesday that started causing the game to crash in the middle of games. The next morning they rolled out another patch and introduced a really bad bad bug that I'm calling the 'blackface' bug. To put it as best as I can, my character has a lighter skin tone but on the big screen at MLB stadiums...it'll sometimes appear like the character suddenly is wearing black face. If I go in and toggle the skin tone to a new one it goes away but eventually breaks back into black face after a couple of games. Yikes. I hope I'm the only one this has happened to. Anyway, they just rolled out another patch today. I hope it didn't break anything else but if you are on the fence about buying this game, I'd steer clear for a little while.

Edit: The 'black face' issue is still present in the version released today 1.007.000 :(
ManAboutNothing

Re: MLB The Show 2021

Post by ManAboutNothing »

No kidding! This year's version is a mess, for sure. I'm playing the XBox One version, and its had various weird bugs in the week+ i've owned it. (Maybe the multi-platform was why?) Players not progressing, couldn't sell any cards for a day or so, odd stat bugs, the equipment not always 'equipping' properly, and so on.

The testing team for this year's iteration seemed to be asleep at the wheel.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's another hot fix this morning. 1.08. :) I just play DD and aside from the servers being total garbage for 2 weeks I really haven't had much issues. At least the fielding is a lot better than last year.

It's not a good sign that they keep on tossing out hot fixes though. We rarely do that at my work now because we found that we just kept on making things worse. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The patches/hot fixes/server maintenance seem about as frequent as usual for me. Nothing out of the ordinary. What was awful was the server stability issues early. They're fine now, but it seemed much longer for them to get things running smoothly.

I'm not seeing too many problems other than the usual baserunning blunders (can't steal 2nd reliably with a runner on third, etc.). I also lost a TA Greg Maddux somehow. But seeing how he's the gold version, and how I have plenty of veteran players already for whatever this year's Grand Collection will be, I'm not worrying about it. I already have Trout (and pulled an Arenado to save me 50k stubs), but am sad to see Acuna going for 200k+. Ouch! I always like his card, but that's harsh. That and DeGrom are the big hurdles left for me, I think.

I don't like the RTTS changes - it seems to be an absolute mess. But it gets me good XP, and the CAP plays well in DD. Honestly - right now, I feel ahead on the content. If I wasn't grinding to get that Markakis card, (O's fan... have all the current Flashback/Legend cards) I might be lacking in things to do.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I wonder how much of this patching mess has to do with the fact that for the first time it's a multiplatform game with a new console generation added on top of that. So they went from developing solely for the PS4 to developing for the PS4, PS5, Xbox One and the Xbox S/X.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm sure that makes things a bit harder. Honestly though for me this is way better than last year once the servers calmed down. The fielding was terrible last year. I just bought a new 32 inch monitor yesterday. Can't wait to get home and try it out. It's so obnoxious and I love it. I did my racing league last night and if you pull the monitor up to the wheel it's almost lifesize. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've been playing this for years and after watching a tip video they pointed out you can time pitches by watching your player step. I'm so dumb for never picking this up. I'm now timing up things better than I have ever done before. Each player is different, but now I get why everyone loves Justin Turner. His leg kick makes it super easy to time when to swing. I never figure out anything on my own. :lol: