What is the longest you have played one single-player game?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

What is the longest you have played one single-player game?

Post by Jaymann »

When I find a game I enjoy, I will milk it for all it is worth and then some. I was checking my steam library and found:

1. Divinity Original Sin 2: A whopping 549.9 hours. If that weren't enough...

2. Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition: 505.9 hours

3. Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition: 484.6 hours

4. Legend of Grimrock II: 302.9 hours

5. Elex: 278.3 hours

6. Elminage Gothic: 211.3 hours

And honorable mention must go to Baldur's Gate 3 which still in early access at: 192.7 hours.

Edit for a GOG biggie.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Re: What is the longest you have played one single-player game?

Post by TheMix »

I think there was some discussion of this previously.

I have a number of games that were before Steam and not fully tracked, but I still suspect that Borderlands 2 probably wins with over 1000 hours. Not counting MMOs (WoW).

Though... it just occurred to me that for a period of time I lived without a computer and only played Civ 2 on a friend's Mac. I played that a LOT. Now I'm wondering if it would actually surpass BL2. Although, I kind of hate to include a game like that where so much of the time was spent waiting for the computer opponents to go. At least with BL2 I know I was playing the entire time.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Steam's numbers are always wacked because I leave OOTP open 24/7. Looks like OOTP18 takes the crown with 7922 hours "played". That's a little over 330 days.

In reality my most played game is probably Rocksmith 2014 Edition. I've put in 389 hours and still play it a few times a week.

Actually Civ6 is at 391 hours so it has the lead for the moment.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Between vanilla State of Decay and the YOSE edition, I have ~800 hours played. I really enjoyed the whole feel of the game when it came out, and I just lived in that world for months. I still fire it up occasionally, but I’ll never get that into it again. SOD 2 never quite grabbed me.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I stopped using an external "hours played" tracker years ago since most of them were ad-riddled servicers like Raptr. I can't trust Steam, since I've used one of the programs that generates card drops. (90 hours spent playing Gorky 17? I think not lol.) Though I suspect the ones I recall playing are legitimate, such as Civ V at 365 hours. Diablo 3 would probably top this. (I usually play solo.) The next highest single-player ones would appear to be Borderlands (77), XCOM: Enemy Unknown (75), and NBA 2K13 (70). I haven't played any of those in years, but I remember them each fondly. Most other stuff is below 50, which surprises me. Even though those are "healthy" amounts of time to have played most of those games, I remember the experiences vividly and it sure feels like I spent longer with some of them, like FTL. Some of these are also clearly wrong... I don't think I've played Civ VI more than V, but I sure as hell have played it longer than 41 hours. Historically, OOTP would definitely be up there, but I haven't played that regularly in over a decade. And of course, there's so much off Steam... I've tried to play Dragon Age about nineteen times but have never finished it, for example.

In terms of multiplayer, card games have long dominated my hours played. Hearthstone, Eternal, Magic Arena, Runeterra, etc. And then whatever MMO I come back to a time or two a year. Looks like I clocked 181 hours in Paladins, which seems high but might be true as I played that heavily for several months.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It would be one of the Elder Scrolls titles, most likely Morrowind, but I didn't play them all through Steam so it's hard to tell.

I considered Borderlands, but most of that wasn't single player.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm primarily a console gamer, so my highest hours total on Steam is Skyrim with just 58.5. However, I've also played it on PS4 and Switch, which probably puts it closer to 150. In fact, I don't have a single Steam game over 100 hours, my closest is Tera with 90.

For single player only, I'm guessing mine would probably be D3 (no idea how many hours, but it's a lot), of Final Fantasy Tactics (probably around 250 hours between three playthroughs). Most of my big timesinks are MMO's.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Probably The Witcher 3, which I think logged something like 120 hours between my first and second play through with expansions. Not sure how to check the total, though, since it was on the PS4 and covered 6 years.
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Fallout 2 and Skyrim for me. I played multiple playthroughs of both. I would say about 200+ hrs each.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

According to Steam I have over 7000 hours in Civ 5. 1000 hours in Civ 6 and 1000 hours in Fallout4. Between the original Skyrim and the "Special" edition I have 1300 hours together.
Yes, I have no life.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Steam says 557 in hours in XCOM2 which sounds about right.

I have no concept of my time spent in Diablo3, but it would probably be #2 (and also not 100% single player, maybe 80%). My Steam #2 is Monster Hunter World at 309 hours though I also put a bunch of time into that on PS4 as well and again it's not 100% single player.

It would be cool if there was some independent tracker of what games I've actively spent the most time with but that sounds practically impossible across all the different platforms.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Gato

Post by Gato »

In ascending order:

5 - the Division 2 - 212hrs
4 - Civ 5 - 383hrs
3 - Team fortress 2 - 422hrs
2- Civ 6 - 470 hrs

And the winner is insane
1- World of Warcraft - around 374 days or 8976 hrs
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I have 2000 hours in the 2 TW Warhammer games.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not sure since most weren't on Steam but I'd say the leaders are:

Dragon Age: Origins
Ultima 4
Ultima 5
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Half-life
NHL 97
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The only thing I can think of that would go over 100 hours is PUBG at 2,000 hours. I'm sure MLB the Show has some impressive numbers too but I don't know how to track that.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Time to Beat says Baldurs Gate 2 has an average completion time of about 50 hours. As a teen I played that start to finish with the expansion at least 4 times so I would say that wins. Runner up would be Alpha Centauri.

Multiplayer would be a whole different league.

Dawn of War II = 931.4 hours
Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising = 453.6 hours
Dawn of War II: Retribution = 706 hours

87 days total. :oops:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In the spoiler tags. From Steam Library Filters sorted by play time.

Oblivion and Morrowind were non-Steam games, but they'd be in there somewhere. A few of those are, of course, not single player only.

Spoiler:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, the most I've ever played a video game is probably a toss up between Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. And I think I clocked in at around 150 hours before I finished all the major storylines and moved on to other games.

After that, 100 hours is about my max for any game.

XCom series
Dark Souls series
The Divinity Original Sins series (apparently I did put in 158 hours with the second one according to steam)
Defense Grid 1 and 2 (seriously, those things are like meditation for me....I can play Tower Defense games for an entire day and just zone out the entire time)
Some MMORPGs from back when I played such things.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm Good lord, the most I've ever played a video game is probably a toss up between Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. And I think I clocked in at around 150 hours before I finished all the major storylines and moved on to other games.
You lack dedication. Stop wasting time on board games and work!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think steam's time indicator is out of whack on some of these things. There is no way in hell I spent 155 hours with Wolfenstein: the New Order. :lol:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Steam's time indicator is always out of whack. Some, for instance, will count time spent with the launcher open as time spent with the game. Run a launcher for an update and go to bed? You come home from work the next day with 18 hours of game time.

Or if a game has an issue that keeps the executable live after you quit the game due to a bug? You can get days of time from that one.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:28 pm I think steam's time indicator is out of whack on some of these things. There is no way in hell I spent 155 hours with Wolfenstein: the New Order. :lol:
It counts time paused and time sitting on the menu screen.

There was a while where I just left FTL open since it took so few resources. I'd just leave it paused if I had a game going. I played it a lot but not the 100 hours Steam says. Same with Stardew valley, mostly my daughter leaving it on pause on her laptop.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 pm Steam's time indicator is always out of whack. Some, for instance, will count time spent with the launcher open as time spent with the game. Run a launcher for an update and go to bed? You come home from work the next day with 18 hours of game time.

Or if a game has an issue that keeps the executable live after you quit the game due to a bug? You can get days of time from that one.
Ah, that makes sense.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also relevant are things like reloads, time spent reading books/log entries (in Skyrim or a Bioware game, this can be a lot), etc. It can make a '10 hour campaign' eat up 30 hours of actual time. And it counts only the .exe, so it will continue to count it even if the window is minimized.

It also does not record time played in offline mode, time spent playing when bypassing Steam entirely (which is why Skyrim is likely higher than that for me, and some games I've played probably show zero hours), it doesn't combine different versions of the same game (so Skyrim and the Legendary Edition have separate records.) It also didn't start recording the data from day one. I believe it started in 2009.

And I have no idea what it does when you run a game multiple times simultaneously, as I have with Borderlands 1 (I'd run it twice, log in with different characters, and transfer items between them, or use two characters to manipulate the level of certain content, by having two characters with a wildly different levels.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Steam says between The Binding of Isaac original and the remake i have over 1200 hours, but i'm sure a significant chunk of that is letting the original game sit overnight at times (because you couldn't save/quit). still, i flamed out pretty hard on that one
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I have well over 600 hours on Skyrim, but even that probably pales in comparison to Diablo II. I played that exclusively solo for several years. I loved it, but I also had a laptop that wouldn't play anything higher-end.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm The only thing I can think of that would go over 100 hours is PUBG at 2,000 hours. I'm sure MLB the Show has some impressive numbers too but I don't know how to track that.
I should read better. ;) It has to be MLB The Show, but who knows how many hours? Maybe Skyrim I was over 100 hours. I wish I had the attention span to stick with a game that long. :cry:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Gems of War 947.2 hours (I count this as single player; not sure if it counts wife's time on her PC/steam account, as we share an account; doesn't count time on phone/tablet).
Dominions 4 - 512.2 hours (we played some MP, but most of that is SP)
Battletech - 321.8 hours
Dominions 5 - 155.1 hours (we played some MP, probably 75%+ was SP?)
Gal Civ3 - 142.2 hours
TW: WH1 - 141.7 hours (TW:WH2 - 6 hours - really need to play that more!)
Gemcraft; Chasing Shadows: 101.8 hours
Age of History II: 95.9 hours (this was a good investment in a cheap/on-sale never heard of it game apparently)

Dawn of War 1:Soulstorm has 55 hours, but I beat most of the race campaigns prior to getting the steam key, and beat all campaigns in the base game and first 2 DLCs and played through most/all the the race campaigns twice on the DLC before Soulstorm. And a number of skirmish maps against the AI. Loved this game. I'd bet I might have as many hours in this as Dominions 4.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Xenoblade Chronicles has my longest recorded playtime at 312 hours. But I probably played Morrowind more, no small thanks to Blackhawk's mod collection!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You know... if I'm being honest... I've probably played more Skryim: Bag and House Maintenance (including the new Crafting: How to do it, and What to do with all the stuff sub-game) than I have most of the other games in my collection.

And if we were counting MMOs, then World of Warcraft: Bag and Bank Sim would probably be #1.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I played Populous on SNES for a long time. More than a year, as I methodically went through and beat every level. 989 of them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There are a couple of games that I played a lot of, probably over 1000 hours each. Hearts of Iron 2 (and variants) and Space Rangers 2. I have them both on Steam now but not that many hours on them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, I'm probably over 1,000 hours on Diablo 1, and 3,000 on Diablo 2. Thank goodness there is no counter.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Some would argue Path of Exile is the counter, but I don't believe them.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

[Edit] Didn't read the thread title closely enough.

As far as single player games, I think the max has been in the 100-120 range for Assassin's Creed: Origins and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. I came close with Valhalla but ultimately bailed on it.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr 828.2 hours
Warhammer Inquisitor Prophecy 428.7 hours
Grim Dawn - 649.9 hours
BL1- 241.7 hours
BL Pre-sequel - 253.2 hours
BL2 291.9 hurs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Before the days of time tracking, the High Heat series would have taken the cake for me. A half hour per game made it easy to spend 2-4 hours a night smacking homers out at Fenway. Even submitted a bug report for one hitting the Green Monster and dropping into the stands in center field being rules a ground-rule double.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Pretty sure my top games would be the original X-Com, TIE Fighter, Duke Nukem 3D and Baldur's Gate 2 (in college, pretty sure I played through it as just about every class). I also played plenty of Master of Orion 1+2/Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic (1-3). These pre-date game timers, so I couldn't tell you exactly how much time I spent playing them, but imagine a kid in high school coming home every day and having 2-3 hours before his parents got home then another 1-2 hours after half-assing homework (and that's if I remembered to do it at all) and dinner. Now, let's do this 3-4 times a week for 4-8 years. Eventually, I stopped playing the same games over and over again because I figured out software piracy and then started working. So, let's say 4 hours/day x 4 days/week x 52 weeks/year x 8 years / 8 games = 832 hours / game as a ballpark estimate.

For TIE Fighter, X-Com and Baldur's Gate 2, that sounds pretty believable. I also played a pretty decent amount of the original Civilization, so that's probably up there.

Starcraft would get up there too, but a lot of that time was spent in multi-player getting my clock cleaned by Korean cyborgs ("2::2 AEEEEEE on Big Game Hunters")
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:56 pm Before the days of time tracking, the High Heat series would have taken the cake for me. A half hour per game made it easy to spend 2-4 hours a night smacking homers out at Fenway. Even submitted a bug report for one hitting the Green Monster and dropping into the stands in center field being rules a ground-rule double.
Nice bounce!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This is the area. The covered seats were open, and the wall behind them was solid.
It's almost as if people are the problem.