Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart

Post by Scraper »

Starting a thread on this because I couldn't find one that was already started and the reviews are hitting. Every review so far has been stellar, 9 from IGN and Gamespot, 95 from Gamingtrend, WSJ didn't score it but the reviewer said it was his favorite Playstation exclusive since Bloodborne. In short the game is probably awesome.

I'm just excited that we will finally be able to play a game that will really show off the power of the new consoles. (As good as Demon's Souls and Returnal look they still aren't as good looking as games will eventually look this gen).
FTE
Alefroth

Re: Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart

Post by Alefroth »

It's looking great. I liked the last one so much that after encountering a game breaking bug about 2/3 of the way through, I restarted and finished it, which I would rarely do.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I caved and bought this at full price (even though I have a backlog a mile long) and I don't regret it for one minute. I'm about 3/4 through the game and this is easily my favorite R&C game. I've played all of the rest (even the portable ones and that terrible multiplayer one) and Rift Apart takes everything that worked before and polishes the hell out of it and makes you dread having to turn the game off. It really is the first game to show off the power of next gen gaming, the graphics are phenomenal, the load times are non-existent, the use of ray tracing is noticeable and appreciated. I really can't think of anything bad to say about the game. The new characters are somehow just as good as Ratchet and Clank themselves. In short I don't want the game to end. Sadly at the pace that I'm eating through it I will probably beat it in the next day or two.
FTE
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I just finished the first real "vignette" after the intro and I am loving it. I have never played any R&C game and feel a little lost in the universe, but given it has the plotline of a Saturday Morning Cartoon (a compliment), it doesn't really matter. The game just feels right, from the dualshock responses to the speed and tension. It heavily reminds me of one of the Lego Star Wars games (also a compliment), and activates my need to collect everything.

Worth full price IMHO and was a good palate cleanser after the dark, tense, and heavy Resident Evil Village.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18 am I just finished the first real "vignette" after the intro and I am loving it. I have never played any R&C game and feel a little lost in the universe, but given it has the plotline of a Saturday Morning Cartoon (a compliment), it doesn't really matter. The game just feels right, from the dualshock responses to the speed and tension. It heavily reminds me of one of the Lego Star Wars games (also a compliment), and activates my need to collect everything.

Worth full price IMHO and was a good palate cleanser after the dark, tense, and heavy Resident Evil Village.
You should definitely go back and play the PS4 R&C that is free with the PS5. It's really good as well and could fill you in on some of the story elements you're missing.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Here is 1 tip that has really helped me level my guns up. Use the Topiary Sprinkler as often as possible. It ups the amount of damage enemies take and gun leveling is based entirely off of how much damage a gun deals out.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I was on vacation all last week, so I didn't get to play this, but I did manage to finish it on Sunday and get the Platinum. My earlier high praise of the game stands. It's easily the best looking game I've ever played, the load times are non existent and it takes everything great about the R&C franchise and polishes the hell out of it. It's a game of the year contender for me. The only knock I would have on it is that some of the planets are small and the game is over way too fast (a fast gamer could beat it in less than 10 hours and a completionist could do it in about 16). I could have easily enjoyed another 10 hours of gameplay.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

I have $70 burning in my wallet from my birthday and I'm trying to decide to buy this full price or wait. I have plenty of other games to finish (cyberpunk, assassin's creed vahlala, spiderman dlc, mafia remake, mafia 2 remake, iron harvest, but yet something shiny.

I have a problem
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

naednek wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:49 pm I have $70 burning in my wallet from my birthday and I'm trying to decide to buy this full price or wait. I have plenty of other games to finish (cyberpunk, assassin's creed vahlala, spiderman dlc, mafia remake, mafia 2 remake, iron harvest, but yet something shiny.

I have a problem
If you didn't buy it, it's 30% off now.