Redfall

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Redfall

Post by Max Peck »

Arkane's new open-world 4-player co-op shooter. Coming to Xbox Series X|S and PC in Summer 2022.

https://bethesda.net/en/game/redfall

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Re: Redfall

Post by TheMix »

I'd play it. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those aren’t the anthropomorphic mice I was expecting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Redfall leak sure makes it look like a looter-shooter
Redfall is the forthcoming co-op game from Arkane, an open-world shooter set in an island town whose founders probably doomed it to vampire invasion the second they decided to name it 'Redfall'. The reveal trailer focused on bantering characters, but a leak claiming to come from a playtest includes screenshots and hints about gameplay.

Pics of the loadout screen and a testing area with a "Loot Zoo" sure make Redfall look like a looter-shooter. Gear seems to be split into five tiers of rarity, high-end weapons are level-gated, and there's an item shop. Guns have a scrap value, though whether scrap is a currency you can spend in the item shop or if there's a crafting system remains to be seen. The leaker suggests the "Gameplay style/loop is very similar to Borderlands".

Weapons shown include the triple-barreled stake launcher from the trailer and a beam rifle that shoots UV rays, as well as regular handguns and assault rifles. "One character had a bird that acted as a sort-of drone, and the other could cloak for added stealth", while a third teleports with a Dishonored-esque blink. The leak claims there are six playable characters, though we've only seen four so far.

As for the open-world element, the hero selection screen lets you choose between two districts, and a coastline with a lighthouse and beached ships appears in a couple of screens. The leaker says it's a seamless world, "similar in scope to Fallout 76 or Ghost of Tsushima" with side missions and boss fights, which again are compared to Borderlands. Something else they claim Redfall has in common with Gearbox's looter-shooter is that NPCs don't fill in if you play solo.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those still aren’t the anthropomorphic mice I was expecting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A looter shooter is better than a battle royale to me as I HATE BR games. Theres a lot of shooters that look fun to me but I wont bother with because they are just BR games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Just a quick bump for the news that the game has been delayed until 2023.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

That looked pretty good.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks good. I worry a bit about the gameplay. I'm not generally a fan of really hectic fast-paced play. But I'm digging the setting and vibes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm with The Mix. Setting looks good but it looks like I'd be struggling with a more run and gun playstyle than I really like.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 am Those still aren’t the anthropomorphic mice I was expecting.
Love Redwall.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been keeping my eye on this. Still looks like it will be fun.

And I have to recind my hate of BR games as Ive found myself having a lot of fun in Fortnite. It doesn't take itself so seriously as others and I can play it solo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Redfall is inching closer. Release is set for May 2nd as of now.

Redfall homepage

IGN look at Redfall

10 minutes of different game play missions.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Preloaded on xbox as this will be day 1 gamepass (not sure about PC version).

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 pm Preloaded on xbox as this will be day 1 gamepass (not sure about PC version).
Coming to gamepass for PC 5/2/2023
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I *really* want this to be good. But, I am going to need reviews. I was so disappointed with Deathloop. The gameplay was fun, but I don't like the Majora's Mask/reset/replay mechanic. (MM is the only Zelda I have never finished.) I get that this is a personal preference, but it's a big no no for me.

I just want them to make an immersive sim FPS again. In fact, I really just want Dishonored 3. I have given up on another Thief game. Can't I just have some more Dishonored?!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:41 am
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 pm Preloaded on xbox as this will be day 1 gamepass (not sure about PC version).
Coming to gamepass for PC 5/2/2023
Cross-Platform Co-op enabled from day 1 is what I read as well!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hmm, per Blues News, it unlocked at 5pm PST today - yay! (the launch doesn't coincide with game 1 of the Warriors/Lakers!)

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I preloaded only to have to download the same 76GB tonight before i can play...yay!

First impression - the downloading mini-game is boring
Last edited by Jaddison on Mon May 01, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I eagerly await impressions!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I won't get home from work until about 7pm pst, so... pending! ;)

I have been reading trashy vampire hunter novels to get prepared tho ;)

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Got through the first mission. so far standard stuff but interesting. The graphics aren't bad, not sure what the complaints are...my settings are medium, frame rate good but nothing amazing graphically has happened quite

Time to quit for the night...to be continued
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My patch download got to about 40% before I started getting an error. So now I'm re-downloading the whole thing. :roll: I'm on Gamepass PC.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I've given up trying to play this on Gamepass PC. I have three monitors and it sets the resolution to something like 7,000 x whatever. I can't figure out how to force it in the .ini or change it within game. I can get to the video settings menu, but when I change the resolution nothing happens. There's no option to apply. I'm out of patience. Hopefully the fix it soon.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Try disabling two of the monitors in the OS, then install and run game, then re-enable the monitors. Worth a try, depending on how motivated you are.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I tried disabling the superfluous monitors to no avail as well as tinkering in the .ini, but I've performed two-and-a-half 100 GB, 4-hour downloads in the past two days so think I'll give it a rest before trying again. Thank you for the suggestion though, I want to get it running eventually!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm glad to hear you had already tried it.

I'm surprised it still gave you a problem, considering the game shouldn't even know those monitors exist during install/run time.

Can I assume you have your desktop spread across all 3 monitors?

Anyway, what a strange problem to have. I hope they fix it soon!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes that's correct. Killing Floor 2 and Vermintide 2 have also given me trouble with this, but the vast majority of games are fine.

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:47 am Yes that's correct. Killing Floor 2 and Vermintide 2 have also given me trouble with this, but the vast majority of games are fine.
Via Steam it set the video resolution way too high for the standard resolution of my middle monitor but was able to set to what works best.
Only completed first mission with the Soldier/Raven guy. There are multiple ways to complete the first mission which was nice though i think I did a hybrid of all three
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

This game is getting hammered in the reviews. Heck even Gamingtrend doesn't have nice things to say about it. Which is a shame because Xbox desperately needs a new AAA game. My gamepass subscription expired last week and I can't even find a reason to renew it right now. I may wait for Starfield to launch to renew.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it’s really just meh so far. I’m not impressed.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I feel like a dodged a bullet by passing on this at launch. At one point I was really interested in it, but I was on the fence because it seemed like it was more of a co-op game. If I hadn't been all-in on Dead Island 2 right now, I still might have pulled the trigger though. The zombie fun times saved me from the drab vampires!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm enjoying single player so far.(XSX) I greatly prefer vampires to zombie hordes.

Still digging in, and haven't tried coop yet (still leveling my character up to get all the abilities) - 1.5 missions and 3-4 hours of stealth/ cautious aka slow play in tho.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Figured out how to fix my resolution issue. Played part of the tutorial... gunplay feels OK. I actually feel like it may be too narrative driven for a co-op game. The graphics are... weird. Shimmery, and lots of jaggies even when I play with settings. But I'm still on my GTX 1070.

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I haven't dabbled beyond the first mission....other than venturing out and dying once, waiting for the that first post launch giant patch.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

My first (very early) impressions are not great: It feels like the engine is poorly (or not at all) optimized - I have a rather beefy machine with a GTX 4090 and it takes about 3 seconds to load in all the textures for the (more or less) static title screen. Same with the beginning of the game: there is a large blood trail on the floor where you wake up and it's a blurry mess for about 3 seconds until that texture/material is loaded (and yes, I'm even using the latest Nvidia drivers that were (allegedly) optimized for Redfall specifically).

The AI of the enemies also seem to be broken: ran into the first bad guy, as he was patrolling in the harbor, and he tried to get up a small escarpment and he started to bounce up and down like on a trampoline. While continuing to do that, he spotted me and started to yell at me, still bouncing around like crazy. The other bad guys I ran into simply try to rush me and when they died, they (visually) dropped their weapons but I could not pick them up but only the ammo that appeared instead.

This all feels rather janky.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Oof…

As the Skill Up review concludes, this likely does not bode well for Starfield.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke