Streets of Rage 4 + Mr. X Nightmare DLC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

Streets of Rage 4 + Mr. X Nightmare DLC

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Anyone else tried playing this?

I recently grabbed the Mr. X DLC for Streets Of Rage 4 and have been enjoying it immensely. Suffice to say, for anyone that previously enjoyed playing any of the original Streets of Rage titles back in the day or, for that matter, anyone that may've previously enjoyed playing any arcade beat'em ups, I highly recommend giving this one a whirl. It's terrifically polished and surprisingly compelling (and I say that as someone who's still a complete amateur at chaining together combos and such). Fortunately, the Mr. X DLC provides an incredibly useful 'Training Room' in which to practice and hone your beat'em up skills if they're as rusty as mine.

FWIW, the base game + Mr. X Nightmare DLC are currently available at a 41% discount on Steam for $19.60 until July 29, 2021.

Anyway, the following Youtube review shows the game in action and aptly sums it up:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Re: Streets of Rage 4 + Mr. X Nightmare DLC

Post by Sudy »

I look forward to picking up the core game at some point. I was a Nintendo kid so I've got little connection with the SoR franchise, though I know it by reputation and probably checked it out in Sega's PC emulation pack.

Batman Returns (SNES) was my favourite brawler of that generation... that atmosphere was outstanding. Old-school tough though, and probably not even nearly the hardest of the era.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't grabbed the DLC yet, but my girls and I love the SoR4 game. Will grab the DLC shortly.
Anonymous Bosch

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 am I haven't grabbed the DLC yet, but my girls and I love the SoR4 game. Will grab the DLC shortly.
In that case, I suspect your daughters will greatly enjoy playing with Estel. She's a legit bad-ass. As the video review above illustrates, the incredibly customizable Training Room and Survival modes both greatly improve and extend the gameplay of the base game. And being able to further customize and improve your character's special abilities while playing in Survival mode is great fun, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is this DLC out on the console versions as well? I had a blast playing through the base game with my kids when it first came out.
Anonymous Bosch

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 pm Is this DLC out on the console versions as well? I had a blast playing through the base game with my kids when it first came out.
Yup. Here's the announcement from the publisher, dotemu:
dotemu.com wrote:Mr. X Nightmare is out now on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam, GOG, and the Windows Store for $7.99. To celebrate the release we have punched the base price of the game down by 40 percent on Steam and roundhouse-kicked 10 percent off the DLC price for PlayStation fans, and 15 percent off Steam and the Microsoft store PC versions from July 15 – July 29.
Alas, the publisher did apparently run into problems with the release of the DLC on the Nintendo Switch though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Switch supposedly coming any minute/hour/day now.