[Kids]Parental bragging thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: [Kids]Parental bragging thread

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:20 pm My 10 year old beat me at chess last night.

That is all.

:wub: and :oops: and :horse:
I think I posted this elsewhere, but my grandson (5) also got a one move checkmate on me. It's not like he some master prodigy, but he is competitive and keeps on pushing.

It took my son 30 years to beat me, but he now gives me a run for my money.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:31 pm In other news, my kid's new show launched a couple of weeks ago on YouTube
I smashed that "Like" button and hit "Subscribe"!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So today my daughter had to go for her pre-K/kindergarten physical. Turns out it was the first time she's seen the doctor in 2 years, and the doctor was blown away by...everything. He said she has my height and my wife's looks (both good!), and when she started talking, he marveled about her diction and vocabulary. When she mentioned something about detention, he stopped her and said, "now you're just showing off."

When it came time for the vaccines, she needed 4 of them. She was prepared for the flu shot...which she never had trouble with before, but 4? She was determined to take it like a trooper, and she did! I held her hand and she squeezed hard on the third one, but didn't make a sound. Afterward, she said "kuya will be proud of me!" (her brother, kuya is a Filipino pronoun that loosely translates to "older brother"). And he was. And she told him he doesn't need to cry when he gets his shots. He is 3 years older than her.

I still don't know how I managed to create such a magnificent being.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

My oldest kid turned 18 on Wednesday. I think it only just now hit me that he's a legal adult.

He has turned out well: mature, conscientious, and smart. He's a bit introverted, but he has friends who love him.

I'm trying to figure out how to encourage him to make the most of college when he goes off next year. I'm sure he'll excel academically (always has), but I want to see him take the social risks that make life fuller. Very proud of him.

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ethan and Lila are signed up for the School Media Club. It's actually pretty impressive. They have a studio that has two TV style cameras, a teleprompter, crazy lighting system, sound board, green screen, you name it.

Each year the Sacramento Education Cable Consortium has a contest where schools in the region submits their videos on several categories.

Ethan created a documentary called "A Day In The Life Of A CFer" Where he documents everything he does each day relating to having Cystic Fibrosis.

We found out the other day he is one of 12 finalists for the 4th-6th grade group. This Sunday we go to the SEVA award ceremony (red carpet and all) to find out if he wins. He's working on his speech today in case he does. I gave them valuable advice to not SLAP anyone...

If you are interested, check out his video. He made the script, did the interview, did the editing. He had some help from me with filming parts of it and some organization.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's awesome. Both of my kids are interested in making videos. My daughter said they made one of them sleeping last night (they are best friends with each other and almost always sleep in the same room together), and this morning my daughter said "I feel like a YouTube star!" They need to learn how to edit them though, wife is too busy with two jobs and daddy has no interest in it.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:36 pm That's awesome. Both of my kids are interested in making videos. My daughter said they made one of them sleeping last night (they are best friends with each other and almost always sleep in the same room together), and this morning my daughter said "I feel like a YouTube star!" They need to learn how to edit them though, wife is too busy with two jobs and daddy has no interest in it.
Editing is pretty fun to do. The school uses a cloud based program that I can't remember the damn name. At home we have different versions of Pinnacle and Sony Movie Studio. We bought Ethan that for his Birthday this year.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Today we found out that my daughter Lila is a finalist for the instructional film. We didn't see that coming and when they announced on youtube the house was full of screams and excitement while I was working :D

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

naednek wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:51 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:36 pm That's awesome. Both of my kids are interested in making videos. My daughter said they made one of them sleeping last night (they are best friends with each other and almost always sleep in the same room together), and this morning my daughter said "I feel like a YouTube star!" They need to learn how to edit them though, wife is too busy with two jobs and daddy has no interest in it.
Editing is pretty fun to do. The school uses a cloud based program that I can't remember the damn name. At home we have different versions of Pinnacle and Sony Movie Studio. We bought Ethan that for his Birthday this year.
Where we used to live, the local library had a full editing studio, as well as a green screen. Seemed like it would be awesome, but the kids were too young (we moved 5 years ago). Our current local library has a 3D printer.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:52 am Today we found out that my daughter Lila is a finalist for the instructional film. We didn't see that coming and when they announced on youtube the house was full of screams and excitement while I was working :D
Nice, congrats to Lila and your family!
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My son, 4 months shy of his 9th birthday, had never been sick. Like ever.

Until today.

"Daddy, I feel weird."

"What feels weird? Does your head still hurt?" (I gave him ibuprofen last night because he complained of a headache. Also, he's been limping since skinning his knee in a fall yesterday).

"No, I just feel weird."

I touch his forehead and he feels warm. I take his temp (he was ready to leave for school at this point) and it was 101. "No school for you!" I texted my wife and he came along to drop his sister off at school.

Wife was home when we got home. We broke out one of those home Covid test kits Biden provided for us, and he tested positive. Since he's never been sick before, he can't actually verbalize what's wrong, aside from "feeling weird!" We took him to a clinic where they confirmed that he is positive (and that I was negative).

We let his school know (he can come back on May 4 if he is well), and my daughter's school since they've been sleeping in the same room lately. She had to get Covid tested every other day for a week when she was exposed a few months ago, now they say she can come to school as long as she has no symptoms. Until this week (when someone in her class tested positive) I was starting to allow her to go unmasked -- she would ask every day if the virus was high or low (mind you, she is only 5 years old), and mask up accordingly. She was invited to audition for a program at her dance school -- audition is tonight, but I'll have to tell them she can't come.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:52 am Today we found out that my daughter Lila is a finalist for the instructional film. We didn't see that coming and when they announced on youtube the house was full of screams and excitement while I was working :D

That's really cute.

That is a LOT of hot chocolate mix, though. :)
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote:

That's really cute.

That is a LOT of hot chocolate mix, though. :)
It explains why she's always wired.

She just got nominated for another video.

Stranger Danger

So 2 nominations for Lila and 1 for Ethan. Gonna be a fun night no matter what. Their school raked in 32 nominations

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That gallon of milk sitting out on the counter for 2+ minutes!

Enlarge Image

j/k - that's really cool!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My grandchildren (boy and girl) both got gray belts in Jiu Jitsu at 6 and 8.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

So this happened! Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congratulations and well done!
It's almost as if people are the problem.