MLB 2021 Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by Octavious »

Couldn't pull off the sweep but 3 out of 4 is pretty darn amazing. News on deGrom is positive, but honestly they should just skip a start to be safe.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't know what the runners were doing here. :dance:

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

malchior wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 am I don't know what the runners were doing here. :dance:

Man, my JV coach would have had us running laps for a week if we did that on the basepaths...
Conform or be cast out!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Giants finally lost on a day where the Dodgers won. Only a game back in the loss column and we play them a week from Monday, can't wait!
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:57 am Giants finally lost on a day where the Dodgers won. Only a game back in the loss column and we play them a week from Monday, can't wait!
Yeah, knock each other out!

Tatis left the game after diving for a ball, hopefully back soon.

Ohtani is officially insane. 5 HR in 5 games to get to 22. So if he goes from pitching to right field for a few innings, could he then switch back and face a couple batters?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:57 am Giants finally lost on a day where the Dodgers won. Only a game back in the loss column and we play them a week from Monday, can't wait!
can't wait to build upon our lead!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:04 pm
can't wait to build upon our lead!
You mean be sent to the lower tiers, I'm sure.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Back on track

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Legend has it that deGrom will never give up another run. Ridiculous.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tatis back as the Padres take on the Dodgers at home. Not quite a must win series in June, but Pads cannot afford to be swept.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:11 pm Tatis back as the Padres take on the Dodgers at home. Not quite a must win series in June, but Pads cannot afford to be swept.
Given that Urias absolutely sucked, that's unlikely :)
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:11 pm Tatis back as the Padres take on the Dodgers at home. Not quite a must win series in June, but Pads cannot afford to be swept.
Given that Urias absolutely sucked, that's unlikely :)
Great game so far

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets had the bases loaded and 1 out at the end of the game and couldn't manage a run. If they had any kind of offense the team would be unstoppable. As it stands anything more than 2-3 runs I just assume they are going to lose. Thankfully most of the time the other team can't score 2-3 runs. :lol:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:25 am

Ohtani is officially insane. 5 HR in 5 games to get to 22. So if he goes from pitching to right field for a few innings, could he then switch back and face a couple batters?

Without their best hitter available to provide protection.
Yes, he could move back the the P position after moving to the OF. I think there is a limit to the number of switches in one inning but if he's in the OF for at least one, he could come back and pitch. And then go back to OF.

I also think he'd have to follow the relief pitcher rules, he'd have to face the at least minimum number of batters each time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Rule exploitation is not the same as cheating. We exploit the rules in board games all the time, thus the complaints of 'broken' games. That's not breaking the rules however. No issues with players taking advantage of bad rules.
I guess that you're fine with the Astros then? :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 am
Lorini wrote:Rule exploitation is not the same as cheating. We exploit the rules in board games all the time, thus the complaints of 'broken' games. That's not breaking the rules however. No issues with players taking advantage of bad rules.
Naw they broke the rules, not exploited the rules. An exploitation of the rules is something like wearing an elbow guard so you have a higher chance of being hit by a pitch. Had they not broke the rules the suspensions wouldn't have been handed down, you know that.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 am
Naw they broke the rules, not exploited the rules. An exploitation of the rules is something like wearing an elbow guard so you have a higher chance of being hit by a pitch. Had they not broke the rules the suspensions wouldn't have been handed down, you know that.
So along the lines of "stealing signs is OK but electronically stealing signs is not."
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would agree with that. Some dude standing on second stealing the signs is perfectly fine to me. It's like catching a tell. Having a camera watching and relaying the information is just beyond shitty.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Today is the first time ever that an NL team is using a DH while the AL team is not.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 pm Today is the first time ever that an NL team is using a DH while the AL team is not.
Just guessing - the Angels are the AL team?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:18 pm
pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 pm Today is the first time ever that an NL team is using a DH while the AL team is not.
Just guessing - the Angels are the AL team?
Yep, Ohtani's on the mound and batting 2nd.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Let's see if the Mets can get through a game without an injury. I doubt it.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:54 pm
So along the lines of "stealing signs is OK but electronically stealing signs is not."
The rules (how many times do I have to say this??) say you cannot electronically steal signs.
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Can I interest anyone in taking Héctor Neris from the Phils? Please?

I would prefer he go to another NL east team, thanks.
Conform or be cast out!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:54 pm
The rules (how many times do I have to say this??) say you cannot electronically steal signs.
Exactly my point. Stealing signs is exploiting, stealing signs electronically is cheating.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Whatever
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm pretty sure LB is trying to agree with you.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey Lorini, how's that Pujols in the clutch working out for you?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

really looking forward to Monday so we can skip a few more tiers.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Quite the Red Sox / Rays game tonight. The Red Sox managed to lose (1-0) despite only allowing two hits to the Rays all game.

Of note, Pivetta was taken out of the game after 6 2/3rds despite throwing a no hitter up to that point (albeit with him being at ~ 100 pitches at that point). They lost in the bottom of the ninth when a Rays player got a single, stole second, advanced to third on a wild throw by the catcher on the steal, and then scored on a swing and a miss when the pitch got away from the catcher.

Good times.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Are you sure that wasn't the Mets?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 am Quite the Red Sox / Rays game tonight. The Red Sox managed to lose (1-0) despite only allowing two hits to the Rays all game.

Of note, Pivetta was taken out of the game after 6 2/3rds despite throwing a no hitter up to that point (albeit with him being at ~ 100 pitches at that point). They lost in the bottom of the ninth when a Rays player got a single, stole second, advanced to third on a wild throw by the catcher on the steal, and then scored on a swing and a miss when the pitch got away from the catcher.

Good times.
Can we get Verdugo back and give you Betts? He's terrible.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:30 am Hey Lorini, how's that Pujols in the clutch working out for you?
They didn't sigh him to hit so ?? They signed him for the same reason they signed Utley, they want a veteran in the dugout. Muncy is the starter at first base. Dodgers are terrible anyway so it doesn't matter.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

First combined no-hitter in Cubs franchise history. Not too shabby. (Sorry, Lorini.)

Kimbrel is being interviewed on the field right now claiming he didn't know it was a no-hitter as he pitched the final inning.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nationals are on a freaking tear right now. Dropped the Mets lead to 3.5. :shock: They were wayyyy back a month ago.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:33 am First combined no-hitter in Cubs franchise history. Not too shabby. (Sorry, Lorini.)

Kimbrel is being interviewed on the field right now claiming he didn't know it was a no-hitter as he pitched the final inning.
It's all good. Like I said, we are just bad right now. I wonder what exactly is wrong with the Dodgers. They are 'only' missing one power hitter yet get no hit by a combine?? Bauer accused the team of sleepwalking through San Diego, and again as I was telling El Guapo, Mookie sucking is not helping things much.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My guess is they're just going through a funk right now. I think most good teams go through at least one really bad period over the course of a season. The Dodgers have too much talent for them to not turn it around.

Side note: The Cubs are the first visiting team to throw two no-hitters at Dodger Stadium (Arrieta threw the other in 2015).
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 am My guess is they're just going through a funk right now. I think most good teams go through at least one really bad period over the course of a season. The Dodgers have too much talent for them to not turn it around.

Side note: The Cubs are the first visiting team to throw two no-hitters at Dodger Stadium (Arrieta threw the other in 2015).
Yeah and we get to see Arrieta today!!! Wonder if there's ever been back to back no hitters? :) The Dodgers have already gone through one terrible funk (remember Kershaw's 7 running against you guys?) how many more do we need to have before someone realizes there's a serious problem? They are not going to fire Roberts, that's for sure, but they need to take a hard look at the offense. And now they can't even blame high spin rates, they just suck.

(before you chime in naednek, remember what happened the last time the Giants were in first place going into the All Star games, just a little reminder :wub: )
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I wouldn't worry about Arrieta too much. Jake in 2021 is a far, far cry from Jake in 2015.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am Wonder if there's ever been back to back no hitters?
No team has thrown no-hitters in consecutive games, although it has happened once on consecutive days: On May 5, 1917, Ernie Koob of the St. Louis Browns no-hit the Chicago White Sox, and teammate Bob Groom repeated the feat in the second game of a doubleheader the following day.

On two occasions, there have been back-to-back no-hitters thrown by each team in a series. On September 17, 1968, Gaylord Perry of the San Francisco Giants no-hit the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Cardinals' Ray Washburn no-hit the Giants the following day. On April 30, 1969, Jim Maloney of the Cincinnati Reds no-hit the Houston Astros, and the Astros' Don Wilson no-hit the Reds the following day. Surprisingly, it was both Maloney's and Wilson's second no-hitter in their careers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.