2020(1) Olympics

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

2020(1) Olympics

Post by Jeff V »

Because of course we need a thread, no matter how lame it promises to be. So far, the US women's softball (an occassional event) is kicking ass and the women's soccer is not. Aside from that, half our team appears to be banned due to COVID or from smoking weed. The opening ceremony will be broadcast starting at 6 am central time tomorrow.

Fun fact...I've been unemployed during more Olympic years than any other. I've not watched much sports since the end of football season, and since football is not an Olympic sport (boo! this better be fixed in the upcoming LA games!) my attention is sure to be divided once training camp starts.

Any freak sports you're looking forward to watching? Maybe you have a thing for Armenian women weightlifters, Australian kayakers, or Filipino boxers?
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Re: 2020(1) Olympics

Post by Zenn7 »

My wife likes to watch some of the Olympics, so we just signed up for Peacock w/o commercials.

We don't have NBC Sports (looks like you only get that with some sort of package of channels like Hulu TV or Youtube TV or Sling or Cable sub), which looks like it will have a lot of the events. We don't have a DVR, just a Roku stick.

Seems like she'll be able to see a few things live and stream highlights on demand at best.

Am I missing something significant in my summation? Any on demand options for the majority of the stuff?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 pm
Any freak sports you're looking forward to watching? Maybe you have a thing for Armenian women weightlifters, Australian kayakers, or Filipino boxers?
No freak sports, really. But we'll probably watch some swimming (rooting for MD raised Katie Ledecky), see how the US team does in gymnastics, and I'll follow results for baseball, basketball and track & field. Not an olympics junkie but I'll enjoy it for what it is.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Looking forward to gymnastics but hope to also catch some of the “edgy” events like skateboarding and surfing along with cheering for Katie Ledecky.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anyone else watch the opening ceremonies this morning? The drone thing was cool, I hadn't even been aware of the existence of drone light shows until exactly one week ago...the campground we went to in Wisconsin had a 50-drone light show and that was impressive...I can only image 1800!
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 pm My wife likes to watch some of the Olympics, so we just signed up for Peacock w/o commercials.

We don't have NBC Sports (looks like you only get that with some sort of package of channels like Hulu TV or Youtube TV or Sling or Cable sub), which looks like it will have a lot of the events. We don't have a DVR, just a Roku stick.

Seems like she'll be able to see a few things live and stream highlights on demand at best.

Am I missing something significant in my summation? Any on demand options for the majority of the stuff?
We went with FUBO TV 7 day trial. Kill that on Thursday, then see whether I can get a Hulu TV trial for 7 days (I had a Hulu trial and sub earlier this year, but not the TV version). If that doesn't work, try setting up a different account for my wife. $65 just to watch the Olympics not really worth it. I sub'd to Peacock specifically to get Olympics stuff.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just watched rowing on USA. More boring than I remember it being. Now archery is on, and US is losing to Indoneisia. The last time I watched archery was in 1984 when some fat bastard won the gold, I was amazed at the time that someone clocking in at 400 lbs could be called an "Olympic Athlete".
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And we lost. #2 seed US loses to #15 Indonesia.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm And we lost. #2 seed US loses to #15 Indonesia.
I caught that! Bummer for the US team but nice underdog story for Indonesia. Now I’m jumping around the NBC Sports app on my TV from sport to sport :horse:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I like underdog stories as long as the US isn't playing the role of chump. Victoria Ravenna will never let us live this down.

At least the US women's waterpolo team humiliated Japan like has never been done before.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just watched surfing for the first time since Bay Watch was a thing. Is this a man-made wave pool or natural? The latter seems like it would be too unpredictable.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:33 pm I just watched surfing for the first time since Bay Watch was a thing. Is this a man-made wave pool or natural? The latter seems like it would be too unpredictable.
Looks like open ocean to me. If we do an "is it a sport or not?" poll this year I'd have to say "not" for surfing.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:53 pm
Looks like open ocean to me. If we do an "is it a sport or not?" poll this year I'd have to say "not" for surfing.
I think you're right about it being the ocean. They're talking about how the typhoon is stirring up the waters making for good waves.

If we're doing "sport or not" I'm throwing skateboarding into the "not" category. I felt like I was watching the X Games. Turned it off. (Now get off my lawn!)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm surprised those guys aren't wearing helmets.
I know I can't do what they do, but if they don't think they are taking a risk to even bother with a helmet, then how much effort is really being invested?

Been dropping in and out of other coverage.
My favorite part so far was watching the guy from Tunisia out swim Australia & U.S. to win Gold in swimming (Men's 400m Freestyle).
Also, I have no idea what is going on in Judo.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the skaterboarder in the clip above would trade in any helmet given to him for a cup.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I watched Lee Kiefer win a gold in fencing yesterday morning. Got a little tense at the end as the Russian pulled close, but she did it.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/lee-ki ... idual-foil
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I signed up for like 3 NBC paid services so the kiddo could watch live archery. None of them show live archery. Once again, fuck US coverage.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still love the IOCs ban on Russia. They really showed them it's wrong to dope, didn't they!
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:34 pm I signed up for like 3 NBC paid services so the kiddo could watch live archery. None of them show live archery. Once again, fuck US coverage.
Peacock was showing it the other day. I think once the favored-to-medal US team was eliminated, it was put on the back-burner.

Also, Archery not a sport, it's a skill. Doesn't seem like any of the contestants this year have William Tell level of talent. (Peacock was showing Archery highlight as I typed this)
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My adoptive country, The Philippines, scored a gold in women's weight lifting. Good for them! NBC shafted them during the opening ceremony, running commercials during their entrance.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:34 pm I signed up for like 3 NBC paid services so the kiddo could watch live archery. None of them show live archery. Once again, fuck US coverage.
You need to get the Korean coverage. Plenty of archery, table tennis, badminton, taekwondo, and other minor sports.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm My adoptive country, The Philippines, scored a gold in women's weight lifting. Good for them! NBC shafted them during the opening ceremony, running commercials during their entrance.
China cut off the feed to avoid showing the Taiwan delegation. Unfortunately, alphabetized as they are in the Japanese language, the China delegation was also suppressed, as they followed in immediately afterward, and the feed didn't come back in time.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

As my former gymnast daughter said as we watch the gymnastics live coverage…OH NO!
Spoiler:
Simone Biles out for the rest of the team competition
:cry:

At least…
Spoiler:
Sunesa Lee had a great score on bars so daughter is happy again.
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Also, Archery not a sport, it's a skill. Doesn't seem like any of the contestants this year have William Tell level of talent. (Peacock was showing Archery highlight as I typed this)
Is a competitive skill a sport? I don't know. Golf, air rifle, darts... By the classic definition as a competitive physical activity I'd say yes, they all are. By the colloquial definition oft debated in bars, probably not.

I will say this, 77 yards doesn't look like much on TV but if you're standing on the line looking at a target 77 yards away, that's a really long shot. It's pretty amazing to me, even as someone who shoots rifles at 200+.

William Tell trick stuff is at one or two dozen yards, max. I'd wager that if you got the Olympic shooters down to that range they could consistently hit a penny.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:40 am As my former gymnast daughter said as we watch the gymnastics live coverage…OH NO!
Spoiler:
Simone Biles out for the rest of the team competition
:cry:
On sports radio this morning, I heard the news. It was broken thus:
Spoiler:
"We have devastating news if you have Biles on your DraftKings Olympic team...everyone's first round pick...out for the team event..."
:grund:

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:15 pm Also, Archery not a sport, it's a skill. Doesn't seem like any of the contestants this year have William Tell level of talent. (Peacock was showing Archery highlight as I typed this)
How do you feel about shot put, javelin, or discus?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Depends. Would Jeff be a target in those competitions?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am
I'd posit that "fail" is the wrong word there. That's probably the most successful javelin throw in centuries.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(Quick research) Juha Lauri Laukkanen, 1994 Bislett Games in Oslo. The only fail was on the part of the judge who decided to daydream on the javelin field. He was impaled through the arm.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am
Sport, you need some athletic ability to do those. Archery (like shooting, also not a sport) is a skill using a tool. I mentioned this before, the first time I recall seeing a US "athlete" medal in archery (1984 perhaps) dude was a least 400 lbs. And no, it wasn't a muscular 400 lbs.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it's like NASCAR?
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:33 pm So it's like NASCAR?
Pretty much, except there's no place to put a beer holder in archery.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:16 pm
wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:37 am
Sport, you need some athletic ability to do those. Archery (like shooting, also not a sport) is a skill using a tool. I mentioned this before, the first time I recall seeing a US "athlete" medal in archery (1984 perhaps) dude was a least 400 lbs. And no, it wasn't a muscular 400 lbs.
Not sure if you are biased or just naïve.

I've known a lot of obese people. There is a lot of muscle buried under the fat. And depending on the level of mobility, probably a decent amount of stamina.

Also, if you think that shooting a bow doesn't require any athleticism, then you clearly have never shot a bow. It's a hell of a lot more than "using a tool".

By your definitions, we should probably yank weight lifting also. Really, they are just lifting a bar. What's the big deal?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 pm yank weight lifting
I see what you did there.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:27 am

Is a competitive skill a sport? I don't know. Golf, air rifle, darts... By the classic definition as a competitive physical activity I'd say yes, they all are. By the colloquial definition oft debated in bars, probably not.

I will say this, 77 yards doesn't look like much on TV but if you're standing on the line looking at a target 77 yards away, that's a really long shot. It's pretty amazing to me, even as someone who shoots rifles at 200+.

William Tell trick stuff is at one or two dozen yards, max. I'd wager that if you got the Olympic shooters down to that range they could consistently hit a penny.
We used to fire arrows with flat tips at 100 to 150 yards. Missing the bail of hay was not uncommon, much less the target on the bail of hay. The Bull's eye? You can't even really see it at 150 yards.
TheMix wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 pm Not sure if you are biased or just naïve.

I've known a lot of obese people. There is a lot of muscle buried under the fat. And depending on the level of mobility, probably a decent amount of stamina.

Also, if you think that shooting a bow doesn't require any athleticism, then you clearly have never shot a bow. It's a hell of a lot more than "using a tool".

By your definitions, we should probably yank weight lifting also. Really, they are just lifting a bar. What's the big deal?
I haven't watched Olympic archery. Are they allowed to use compound bows. I would contend a compound bow doesn't require much athleticism but even 50 pound bow requires a bit of oomph to use at all well and a 50 pound bow is meant to train a tween.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:41 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:27 am

We used to fire arrows with flat tips at 100 to 150 yards. Missing the bail of hay was not uncommon, much less the target on the bail of hay. The Bull's eye? You can't even really see it at 150 yards.
TheMix wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 pm Not sure if you are biased or just naïve.

I haven't watched Olympic archery. Are they allowed to use compound bows. I would contend a compound bow doesn't require much athleticism but even 50 pound bow requires a bit of oomph to use at all well and a 50 pound bow is meant to train a tween.
They use recurve bows only. Compound bows are an exhibition sport this year I think.

Either way, there is a lot of physicality involved.

MYT