Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Archinerd

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 pm A cool tiny detail that sticks with me:
Spoiler:
By the time they take control of Arrakis, we've been taught that the British-Prussian Atreides are the Good Guys and that the Orc-Troll Harkonnens are the Bad Guys.

But when the Atreides actually land and march out of their ships, they're led by a bagpiper and an almost immediate cut to burka-wearing natives standing and watching. It feels like 19th-century European empire in the Middle East. It really brings home the point that the Atreides are (from the point of view of the Fremen) just more imperialists.
It's the kind of perspective that will probably hit different audiences differently, and it *really* makes me hope that Villeneuve will get to do not just Dune Part 2 but also Dune Messiah.
Spoiler:
The Atreides house livery is also pretty Fascist looking. Villeneuve understands Dune, I'm hoping he gets every chance to continue re-telling the story for as long as he's interested.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I used to trust Boston Globe movie reviews when Ty Burr wrote them, but he recently moved on and now they're being written by contributors. The guy who reviewed Dune only gave it 2 stars because I'm pretty sure he never read the book -- most of his objections were in the source material.

Aside from not liking the director's signature style of placing small figures in huge landscapes, he griped that 8,000 years from now humans are living in a feudal government structure and going at each other with swords. And sure that's been done a million times (maybe you've seen Star Wars?), but it's hardly the movie's failing. IIRC the book said they use blades because their personal shields stop projectiles and beam weapons. Overall he found the movie ponderous and overly serious -- which, again, fits the tone of the book. This is not a movie for lighthearted banter, despite all the musical numbers and that bit with the pet chicken.

I give his review 1 star and hope the Globe doesn't make him a regular contributor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Can you imagine if Dune did not have a "serious" tone?

What an idiot.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:19 pm Can you imagine if Dune did not have a "serious" tone?
It would be Tremors in Space.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Spoilers, sort of. Don't watch if you're really sensitive about spoilers.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gbasden wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 pm In hindsight, I do have to question the musical number about 1 hour and 45 minutes into the film. I'm sure establishing that the Baron Harkonnen can play the french horn seemed like a good idea when writing the script, but having him play a Niel Diamond medley after surviving an attack just didn't work for me.
Now you are just straight out taunting Jeff. :)
Now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Guilty as charged.
Covfefe!
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Having seen this on Saturday I've let my thoughts settle from the initial rush. I still think it's excellent. The story is good, it's epic, and the actors cast fit their roles. The last 1/3 of the movie does not disappoint where many movies of this type fail, in my opinion. The director was perfect for this. I loved the Blade Runner movie he did a while back.

I really hope it makes enough money to continue. It definitely has the potential of being our next awesome movie series.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I signed up for HBO max so I could watch it again last night.

First time around I missed the detail
Spoiler:
that Duncan's shield was knocked out on the ornithopter as he was escaping Arakeen. Only after that, did the Harkonnens try and zap him with the lasgun.

Also, I somehow missed that the Harkonnen's have a completely different design for their spice harvesters. I actully like their's better, they look like big spice sucking ticks.
My biggest criticism is the loss of some of the sub plots and expanded details that didn't make the cut (though I understand why), and for a nearly 3 hour movie, a few things still feel a bit rushed.
Overall, an incredible adaptation.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Watched it over the weekend. I suspected, I needed to split it into two nights. It's been 35 years or so since I read the book, but I still felt like I followed the narrative pretty well. My biggest gripe is that the ending seemed so sudden and now we have to wait quite some time to get the sequel! I'm hoping it did well enough to justify it, because I don't think they've confirmed Part 2 yet.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:42 am I signed up for HBO max so I could watch it again last night.

Spoiler:
that Duncan's shield was knocked out on the ornithopter as he was escaping Arakeen. Only after that, did the Harkonnens try and zap him with the lasgun.
Are you responding to my long winded "why didn't they use the death ray to begin with!?" rant after the movie? :lol:
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:00 am Watched it over the weekend. I suspected, I needed to split it into two nights. It's been 35 years or so since I read the book, but I still felt like I followed the narrative pretty well. My biggest gripe is that the ending seemed so sudden and now we have to wait quite some time to get the sequel! I'm hoping it did well enough to justify it, because I don't think they've confirmed Part 2 yet.
From what I'm reading, the head of the studio is basically going around hinting it's a done deal. Take that for what you will though.
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:04 am
Archinerd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:42 am I signed up for HBO max so I could watch it again last night.

Spoiler:
Are you responding to my long winded "why didn't they use the death ray to begin with!?" rant after the movie? :lol:

Yes :)
Spoiler:
Because it just doesn't make sense to risk a frigate to destroy one ornithopter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still want to see scenes of the sardaukar training with Cirque du Soleil for their drop landings in the next movie.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am I still want to see scenes of the sardaukar training with Cirque du Soleil for their drop landings in the next movie.
It would have been very picturesque if they had rolled down wrapped in ribbons instead of using suspensors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then a few seconds after the last one lands, an overweight sardaukar suddenly plummets to the ground in the back.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:04 am From what I'm reading, the head of the studio is basically going around hinting it's a done deal. Take that for what you will though.
Well, apparently it won the weekend at the box office, which is not what it used to be in pre-covid days. So maybe?

Thanks, ILB, for giving me another reason to hold off. A lot of times when they divide books into 2 movies, it's handled as a single project and there's no question. Surprised that it's not the case here.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am I still want to see scenes of the sardaukar training with Cirque du Soleil for their drop landings in the next movie.
Having watched many a Cirque du Soleil performance I wouldn't be surprised if there's a future production called THE SANDS OF DUNE! Looking forward to their version of a sandworm and the comic relief clown
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Having watched many a Cirque du Soleil performance I wouldn't be surprised if there's a future production called THE SANDS OF DUNE! Looking forward to their version of a sandworm and the comic relief clown
Clown sets thumper. Clown does crazy dance. Worm appears. Hilarity ensues.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Clown sets thumper. Clown does crazy dance. Worm appears. Hilarity ensues.
And an audience member is brought on stage for the skit and gets "eaten" by the worm.

Fun fact, I was brought on stage for one of the Vegas shows. Loved doing some improv and it was a fun time!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I haven't seen them and I really should some day. I've seen them on TV, not live. Pre-pandemic, they always brought their travelling show to town. Lately, the Chinese version, Shen Yun, has been more ubiquitous.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:07 pm
Thanks, ILB, for giving me another reason to hold off.
:lol: Don’t ever change, Jeff. You’re perfect the way you are.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Are you still advocating paying to watch a half-assed version of something that not only might never become full-assed, but not even finish the story it started? Really? You support this?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

But in all seriousness, you do realize that buying a ticket to see it is the only way the second half gets made, right? I mean, the basics of capitalism are…well…basic.

Also, the movie, as every person who has posted here after seeing it has written, is damn good.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:25 pm Pre-pandemic, they always brought their travelling show to town. Lately, the Chinese version, Shen Yun, has been more ubiquitous.
You mean the Falun Gong front operation?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You're going to make me look that up, aren't you?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You could just go read this.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
The Spacing Guild is mentioned but doesn't have much of a presence in the first half of the book. (In the movie you do seem some early-stage guildsmen arrive with the Emperor's envoy on Caladan: they're wearing helmets filled with orange spice gas.)

In the novel, the only guildsmen we see are in the final pages, and they look like regular humans (in fact wearing contexts to conceal their spice-addicted eyes). David Lynch's scene with the Emperor and the big Navigator is completely invented. Herbert doesn't show us a Navigator until the second novel.
ok but what about the Landsraad? CHOAM?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Having given a day or so to chew over in my mind the interesting part to me is that the plotting between Villeneuve and the Lynch movies have a high degree of overlap. What Villeneuve did differently is key though. He focused the narrative mostly around what Paul sees/knows. The few times they show something else it is out of necessity for context. Where needed he bolstered interactions and unlike Lynch he didn't invent exposition to satisfy what he assumed the audience wouldn't get. That includes that imagined meeting between the Emperor and the Spacing Guild. I get why Lynch did it - he didn't trust the audience - but Villeneuve showed us why it wasn't necessary.

Another contrast to me is that many of the scenes that overlap such as the testing by the Reverend Mother are much more sparse/stripped down to the essentials by Villeneuve. Villeneuve uses that sparseness to focus on the characters versus again overdoing the narrative elements that are just too complex for the screen. He in the end does a better job telling a story within those overlapped plot elements. It's very much a delicate act.

In the end, this also allows us to reconsider what Lynch was tasked with. He never should have been put in a position to make that book as a single movie. He accepted the challenge but we now see that it was probably impossible if you want to do justice to the story. Lynch's imagination also was quite vivid. He imagined a far out look that might have been too sumptuous but to some extent that had noticeable influence on Villeneuve. I don't know if Villeneuve makes this movie without being inspired/forewarned by the other.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:31 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
The Spacing Guild is mentioned but doesn't have much of a presence in the first half of the book. (In the movie you do seem some early-stage guildsmen arrive with the Emperor's envoy on Caladan: they're wearing helmets filled with orange spice gas.)

In the novel, the only guildsmen we see are in the final pages, and they look like regular humans (in fact wearing contexts to conceal their spice-addicted eyes). David Lynch's scene with the Emperor and the big Navigator is completely invented. Herbert doesn't show us a Navigator until the second novel.
ok but what about the Landsraad? CHOAM?
Landsraad is mentioned (once? without context) and CHOAM is not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, Lady Jessica (I believe) tries to persuade others that they need to take news of the Emporer’s involvement (as proven by the appearance of the sardaukar) to the Landsraad at one point.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:56 pm Having given a day or so to chew over in my mind the interesting part to me is that the plotting between Villeneuve and the Lynch movies have a high degree of overlap. What Villeneuve did differently is key though. He focused the narrative mostly around what Paul sees/knows. The few times they show something else it is out of necessity for context. Where needed he bolstered interactions and unlike Lynch he didn't invent exposition to satisfy what he assumed the audience wouldn't get. That includes that imagined meeting between the Emperor and the Spacing Guild. I get why Lynch did it - he didn't trust the audience - but Villeneuve showed us why it wasn't necessary.
You should check out Lynch’s initial script for Dune. It was 126 pages and covered only the first third of the book. That’s right, Lynch wanted three movies for Dune. The studio nixed it and forced him to keep whittling it down until it barely resembled his original vision.

I’m not saying the first script was a lot better, but I would have loved to see what Lynch unbound could have done.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I don't know if it was necessary or not to show the Emperor and the Guild. It's hard for me to see this story through new eyes as I've seen the Lynch version and read the book. I can't tell you if I would be able to follow this story otherwise.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:27 pm
Are you still advocating paying to watch a half-assed version of something that not only might never become full-assed, but not even finish the story it started? Really? You support this?
Umm... yes? Haven't you been reading the thread?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I didn't realize the 2nd half of the story was still speculative, and not a done-deal. Why would anyone invest time in just half that story? That's shittier than even the Lynch abomination.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, it may not have worked on Jeff, but I'm dying to find the time to watch it. Stupid vacations and work and life getting in the way. Hopefully next weekend.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, your vacation looked pretty cool. Sorry to hear it was of the stupid variety.

Speaking of stupid vacations, wife is now investing heavily into a 2022 trip to Disney World. Sigh.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 pm Ah, you're vacation looked pretty cool. Sorry to hear it was of the stupid variety.

Speaking of stupid vacations, wife is now investing heavily into a 2022 trip to Disney World. Sigh.
It was amazing. Stupid only in the way it kept me from Dune.

We're also looking at Disney in 2022, and I cannot say I'm excited. Maybe 2023?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:01 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:27 pm
Umm... yes? Haven't you been reading the thread?
Jeff was waiting for the full ass version of the thread to be released.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Are you kidding me? Everything everyone has said about this movies screams "wait until the whole thing is done." I would take an amazing vacation over this any day.

The thing about Disney is I've been there before, and the things I like aren't the things my wife will like (and, probably, not the kids). This is looking to become a multi-family excursion, renting a van for 10 and me and the other dad tag-teaming driving duties to get there as soon as possible, then meeting up with a 3rd family in Panama City for a few days of fishing. The latter might normally interest me, but the father in that 3rd family is an incorrigible Trumptard...I've had to drop him as a FB friend and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to stand 5 minutes with this guy.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everything everyone is saying is screaming run, don’t walk to a theater to see this great movie so that the studio bankrolls the second half.

Edit: wait….mix, I’m doing it again, aren’t I? :wink:
Covfefe!