Yay! New Bike! [Now With Pics!] [56K!] [!!]!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Yay! New Bike! [Now With Pics!] [56K!] [!!]!

Post by Blackhawk »

Given how much time I've spent on my stationary lately, I'd really enjoy getting out and actually riding just for the exercise and recreation. It's hard to find a place to ride around here, though. The streets are narrow, there are no bike lanes, drivers aren't used to seeing cyclists, and the sidewalks are largely unusable. Many streets don't have them, and many of the rest are overgrown and cracked, with roots jutting underneath and lifting chunks of slab up like random 6" cliffs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have no idea where this was taken, but this is what a significant portion of our sidewalks around here look like:

I suppose I could scout around and find the ones that aren't obstacle courses.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm I have no idea where this was taken, but this is what a significant portion of our sidewalks around here look like:

I suppose I could scout around and find the ones that aren't obstacle courses.
That's not an obstacle course it's a terrain park. Shred, bruh!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

Yeah, we’re spoiled here. There is a bike/running path just two blocks away that goes all the way to another bike/running trail that then flows into two more trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 pm I have no idea where this was taken, but this is what a significant portion of our sidewalks around here look like:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those tires seem to have a bicycle attached.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle and I used to ride around here, back in the 90s/my 20s, on mountain bikes. They actually worked decently on the the sidewalks once I learned to go over curbs at speed.

But that wouldn't be the kind of riding I'd be interested in if I got a bike now.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Holman wrote:
Sudy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 pm A quick googling suggests about 50% of the U.S. had broadband connections at home by the end of 2006, so I guess these tags were still relevant. I think I'd had it for years by that point though.

I still can't believe we were posting here 15+ years ago, and that I actually remember some of these threads. Also miss some of these posters who are long or mostly gone.
I remember logging on to Gone Gold at work because it was faster.
I logged on to gone gold at work because I didn't want to work

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
raydude

Post by raydude »

So, still biking with the girls. We discovered a great bike trail - Homes Run Park trail - near the house. It's got some great hills and scenery. I'm thinking I'll be biking all summer and fall while the weather is good. This got me thinking - what's considered good maintenance on a bike? Is there a bare minimum I should do to make sure our bikes stay in good shape? Any equipment I should get? We've been riding about 20 minutes a night on the weekdays, on pavement, and only when it's not raining and roads are not wet. I'm still paranoid about falling and injuring myself during a pandemic so I don't want to risk slipping on wet surfaces.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't rode in over 30 years. But for me it was tire pressure and tire wear, chain looseness and oiling it, nuts tight(dont laugh cause your nuts fall off you're in for some hurt), and checking for loose or broke / missing spokes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you have a decent bike and have no tolerance for a breakdown 50 miles from home, take it for a tune-up at a LBS. They will check things like frayed cables and worn break pads, and lube parts of your bike you never thought needed lubing.

Also, things like chains wear out and will cause your bike to start shifting improperly. Those need to be replaced every few years if you ride a lot.
Black Lives Matter