LordMortis

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by LordMortis »

I think you meant 5%
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anyone who didn't see the coming didn't the the 35 or so Amazon trucks on the drive home every single day.

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:26 am
Trying to add SLGD ($2.50 or below). Speculative long term.
CEO/Board Chairman chased out, head of Maran Capital installed as new Chairman.

I'm fully loaded now. Going to see what Roller does with this.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:06 pm If anyone remembers my long ass post about shroom stocks, one of my babies made it to the NASDAQ today! :horse:

MMEDF-> MNMD
No material changes, just an uplisting. Thus, holding.

I also see the kiddos on /wallstreetbets are talking about it. Honestly not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :think:

That place is not as bad as Yahoo Finance message boards (nothing is, AFAIK), but it's pretty bad.
Looks like it established resistance around $4.30. Looking for support but still waiting on some kind of secondary offering. Just a hunch. $3.40s?

I did buy 100 around $4 to keep it on the radar.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Since the NASDAQ listing requirement is $4 IIRC, I assume they have “maintenance/minimum share price” requirements as well. I should probably look those up wrt Mindmed. :o

I would think a secondary offering (now) would put any maintenance share price requirements/their listing in danger.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 pm Since the NASDAQ listing requirement is $4 IIRC, I assume they have “maintenance/minimum share price” requirements as well. I should probably look those up wrt Mindmed. :o

I would think a secondary offering (now) would put any maintenance share price requirements/their listing in danger.
$4 is required to be initially listed but maintenance is as low as $2 if the stock meets other metrics.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ETH $4K. Crazy.

Friend of mine just bought a car for his mom for Mother's Day, funded entirely by ETH profits.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As things pull back, it's tempting to put more money on the ride. Current thoughts:

Increase VTI knowing full well I'm going to let my calls get bought, take the gains and then buy shares back as the last part of my expensive lesson in not doing covered calls, no matter how seemingly outrageous on things you don't want to let go of no matter the price. I'll be glad when that lesson is finished. (June 18)

Doubling down on ADTN, my $15 Aug 20 call is too expensive to buy back and push out. I'm not sure they are worth nearly $19 a share. 5G seems to be pushing them up beyond what is reasonable. At the same time, they are an enduring company that build capital intensive infrastructure behind all of these I believe in and letting my $8 shares go at $15 plus probably another $4 a share over the last year in covered calls takes a little sting out of them being over priced at $19. I don't know if patience to watch for dip would be rewarded or if I need to learn more about other places. I only have so much time and mental capacity for doing my diligence.

Doubling down on CSCO, only $50 a share is expensive for me, irrespective of value. When I get that expensive on a per share basis I go back to my Index funds. Even as I am getting more cash as CDs and other covered calls are being pulled from me in the insane stocks only go up last six months, when I get to that level of cash, it has to be less like trading and more like building the nest.

Slowly adding to my TROW, like one share at a time, as I am wont to do with expensive per share stocks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AMD below $75 is starting to look good but again, $75 a share for me is lot and when I get in to that price per share territory, I'm more prone to dumping that level of cash into index funds and forgetting about it. Earnings are good. Profit is good. Cash flow is off the charts. They aren't going anywhere and have the muscle increase capacity buying out other production.

Tempted to find a way but if I pick up 100 shares that's well beyond trading money for me, so I'll end up getting off the pot and kicking myself when it rebounds.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm AMD below $75 is starting to look good but again, $75 a share for me is lot and when I get in to that price per share territory, I'm more prone to dumping that level of cash into index funds and forgetting about it. Earnings are good. Profit is good. Cash flow is off the charts. They aren't going anywhere and have the muscle increase capacity buying out other production.

Tempted to find a way but if I pick up 100 shares that's well beyond trading money for me, so I'll end up getting off the pot and kicking myself when it rebounds.
So don't buy 100 shares. Buy 5 or 10 and experience DCA.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Or 1 or 2... :oops: :ninja: That's what I did with MSFT, AAPL, BA, LOWES, and TSLA and what I've done with AMD.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's been a brutal last two days nuillifying about the last 1.5 months upward movement so far but that has started my bat buy signals. I picked up my two shares of AMD at around $74.5, closed one of VTI calls that was going to let get called in June and picked up another share at 213, 212, 211, and 210.

That's a very expensive day for me. I'm loaded to continue buying a share of VTI at 209, 208, 207, 206, and 205 should the decline continue. After that I'd have to find money which I am loathe to do.

I'm still monitoring ADTN. For my purposes, it'll get very tempting if gets back to $18 and I doubt I'll resist if drops $17.50, again based on the premise that I'll be replacing the shares covered call will be letting go and again that would have to happen by finding money.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This story of the $100 million NJ deli with only $37k in sales over the last two years is really interesting and I thought this group might enjoy it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:09 am This story of the $100 million NJ deli with only $37k in sales over the last two years is really interesting and I thought this group might enjoy it.

There was a story about a connection to Robinhood but that has kind.of unraveled.

Still, HWIN isn't that unique as a penny/OTC stock scam operating in plain sight. I've researched so many of them that were obviously just shells, with about 20 minutes of googling, you have to wonder if the SEC actually cares.

There was the tech company that bought an office "in London" to expand into the European market. A bit of amateur sleuthing yielded the fact that it was actually a country cottage deeded to a director's girlfriend.

The "Israeli algae biotech" registratered out of a Shell station (as in literally Shell Oil) address in Florida.

I spent $10 to get paper files from EDGAR that showed a Chinese battery company basically lied about a PIPE deal.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
stessier wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:09 am This story of the $100 million NJ deli with only $37k in sales over the last two years is really interesting and I thought this group might enjoy it.

There was a story about a connection to Robinhood but that has kind.of unraveled.

Still, HWIN isn't that unique as a penny/OTC stock scam operating in plain sight. I've researched so many of them that were obviously just shells, with about 20 minutes of googling, you have to wonder if the SEC actually cares.

There was the tech company that bought an office "in London" to expand into the European market. A bit of amateur sleuthing yielded the fact that it was actually a country cottage deeded to a director's girlfriend.

The "Israeli algae biotech" registratered out of a Shell station (as in literally Shell Oil) address in Florida.

I spent $10 to get paper files from EDGAR that showed a Chinese battery company basically lied about a PIPE deal.
Oooh! Do:
HAVLF
LKYSF
CLXPF

:)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I believe we touched on Amazon Prime and market saturation in this thread previously:

"Amazon in Talks to Buy MGM for as Much as $10 Billion"

There ya go. When you run out of people to sell subs to, gotta raise the prices on the existing customers (with justification). This should help them make that argument.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

T is planning to cut their dividend by 40-50% after the WarnerMedia/Discovery deal. Oof.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

F looking very strong.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:37 am T is planning to cut their dividend by 40-50% after the WarnerMedia/Discovery deal. Oof.
Jeez what a mess. I think I need to respin up my conversation with my investment guy. I had challenged him on this stock twice previously and his continuing defense of it was the dividend. It was reasonable but this turns a 7% yield stock into a sub-5% yield stock with downside more likely than upside. Not absolutely terrible but there have to be better alternatives.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:08 am
pr0ner wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:37 am T is planning to cut their dividend by 40-50% after the WarnerMedia/Discovery deal. Oof.
Jeez what a mess. I think I need to respin up my conversation with my investment guy. I had challenged him on this stock twice previously and his continuing defense of it was the dividend. It was reasonable but this turns a 7% yield stock into a sub-5% yield stock with downside more likely than upside. Not absolutely terrible but there have to be better alternatives.
T has always been a dividend stock and this definitely hurts it. Still, a 7% yield was more a factor of the lower share price and a dividend drop was inevitable. Historically they like the 5% range.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:28 am
malchior wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:08 am
T has always been a dividend stock and this definitely hurts it. Still, a 7% yield was more a factor of the lower share price and a dividend drop was inevitable. Historically they like the 5% range.
Well currently they're a dividend aristocrat with 35 years of dividend growth. And soon they won't be. There's something to be said for that.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My problem was and still is the high dividend yield doesn't matter much to me as the overall return which has been pretty bad. I had two discussions where I started to feel like their investment philosophy and mine aren't entirely aligned. It goes beyond just T. For example, they just bought shares of TSLA which pisses me off. I had been happy they hadn't loaded me into that shit show and he agreed it didn't make sense. Then their portfolio committee adds it in and has me wondering why I should pay a premium for trend followers.

Back to AT&T they just destroyed a lot of value in this idiotic adventure, and I want to challenge again why it is part of my diversified portfolio. I think I shouldn't own it now that even the threadbare dividend case is gone. And ultimately I want to understand the process the people managing my money are using because if it's basically little better than investing in a S&P 500 index fund -- which the stupid TSLA buy indicates -- well then I should and save myself the management fee. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Look into JNJ. They’ve increased their divvie for 60 years straight.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DUK and GAB are my dividend stocks right now. DRIP and forget 'em. Was F, still have lot of F, but no divy now.

GAB pays 8% and is up 50% since I got into it last year. It's up around 10-15% from it's pre-COVID levels, not counting dividends. There's some depreciation risk but divy is solid.

DUK is...well, it's DUK.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 am DUK and GAB are my dividend stocks right now. DRIP and forget 'em. Was F, still have lot of F, but no divy now.

GAB pays 8% and is up 50% since I got into it last year. It's up around 10-15% from it's pre-COVID levels, not counting dividends. There's some depreciation risk but divy is solid.

DUK is...well, it's DUK.
I had some DUK in the past few couple years, and sold for some reason. Why?! I put it in the same category as JNJ, MMM, and BMY...literally in my stock portfolio notes where I put my sell targets..."NEVER SELL". The only thing I can think of is I was concerned or unsure how the shift to electric energy would affect stodgy, slow old utilities.

I remember my Dad telling me about owning DUK stock since decades ago (and I assume he still does).
malchior

Post by malchior »

For me the T play was they were slotted into a role in my portfolio meant to cover the telecommunications sector. The dividend doesn't really matter as much to me right now. I'm still in an accumulation/growth phase. Hypothetically, if I get 5% total value in T and could say get 6% in TMUS (just pulling arbitrary numbers) then I should go with TMUS. Which is what my challenge point was. And really what I wanted to hear in my case was something substantive. At least, beyond my impression that what I'm seeing is something along the lines of we will follow the herd because it is safe for us to do so individually as managers. I don't need visionaries but it's been clear for some time that T has been a shit stock if you care about growth. It's great perhaps in a Balanced or Conservative portfolio however. It boils down to I want a little more from a company getting nearly a percent fund mgmt. fee from me than what I can get for much less in a Vanguard S&P 500 fund or just go to a robotrader.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 am GAB pays 8% and is up 50% since I got into it last year. It's up around 10-15% from it's pre-COVID levels, not counting dividends. There's some depreciation risk but divy is solid.

DUK is...well, it's DUK.
This is a good follow up question. So isn't the T case worse....and btw what is the investment committee's thoughts on GAB. :)
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hadn't heard of GAB before and when looking it came up as a closed end fund?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GAB

NYSE listed, you can buy it through any brokerage.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:04 pm F looking very strong.
Up another $ today because it said the word Electric again today. Good for my not selling shares, I guess.

At least they are finally putting their production where their claims for development are. It only took nearly 20 years. (Though I gotta admit the hybrid 150 flew in under my radar and it does look solid) I had high hopes in 2004 when the first of the Hybrids started rolling off the line. F could have/should have been a leader coming off the "what to expect when gas goes above $3 a gallon" era.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:39 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:04 pm F looking very strong.
Up another $ today because it said the word Electric again today. Good for my not selling shares, I guess.
You'll get another bump when they inevitably have to revise their plans upward (again--this is already a big revision upward from their plans from *checks notes* 3 months ago). 40% BEV by 2030 ain't gonna cut it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:25 pm Someone just messaged me that the focus might be shifting onto Build-A-Bear now.
My God, it's up 56% right now. BUILD A BEAR!!! :D

HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?!?

Volume 4,018,204
Avg. Volume 161,293

Paging Mr. Robot
It took a while but it's finally worth something now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Worst stonk meme play ever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pre-market
Ford shares are trading higher. The company had an investor day yesterday and spoke on EV plans. Today, RBC Capital upgraded Ford from Sector Perform to Outperform and raised its price target from $13 to $17.
F says EV a week after showing EV and RBC says "Oh yeah, that's worth a 25% increase". Good for me, but I just don't get it. F tanked when they were the only major car manufacturer to say "Um, we don't care if you intend roll back CAFE, we're going to continue down the path of carbon reduction. Oh, and we're going to throw money at everyone for EV and electric supply stations."

Pay day is coming up and I'm beginning to have a hole burn in my pocket. I don't think I could "stock pick" to save my life with anything I see and believe I have any understanding of so I think I'm just going to plug money into VTI as it becomes available hoping that dollar cost averaging and the market still pull forward.

It may be time to really try and learn bond investing only I don't seem to be able to gronk them well enough to see that they are any better than the non existent return on CDs.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 am

Pay day is coming up and I'm beginning to have a hole burn in my pocket. I don't think I could "stock pick" to save my life with anything I see and believe I have any understanding of so I think I'm just going to plug money into VTI as it becomes available hoping that dollar cost averaging and the market still pull forward.

It may be time to really try and learn bond investing only I don't seem to be able to gronk them well enough to see that they are any better than the non existent return on CDs.
My F DCA/DRIP P&L statement looks like porn. All those 100 share buys at 4.5, 5, even 9. Plus 40-50 share drips from back in the day.

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 am
F says EV a week after showing EV and RBC says "Oh yeah, that's worth a 25% increase". Good for me, but I just don't get it. F tanked when they were the only major car manufacturer to say "Um, we don't care if you intend roll back CAFE, we're going to continue down the path of carbon reduction. Oh, and we're going to throw money at everyone for EV and electric supply stations."
Look at it this way. Even at $60, TSLA would be worth more than F. That is, you knock off 90% of TSLA's value and it is still worth more than Ford. Does that make sense?

If not, where is the disconnect?

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 amIt may be time to really try and learn bond investing only I don't seem to be able to gronk them well enough to see that they are any better than the non existent return on CDs.
Now seems to be a pretty bad time to jump into anything bonds related domestically. It's a blood bath there. If the inflation risks pan out then it's probably even worse short-term. There are some decent plays in international debt but that'd be some sort of ETF bond fund (BNDX as an example reference that is in my portfolio at a very small percentage).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 amIt may be time to really try and learn bond investing only I don't seem to be able to gronk them well enough to see that they are any better than the non existent return on CDs.
Now seems to be a pretty bad time to jump into anything bonds related domestically. It's a blood bath there. If the inflation risks pan out then it's probably even worse short-term. There are some decent plays in international debt but that'd be some sort of ETF bond fund (BNDX as an example reference that is in my portfolio as a small percentages).
I have an old 401K. It is 2 years' worth of contributions plus a few years of appreciation. It's an orphan from before my employer switched to a new provider. I put it 100% into bonds 10 months ago and haven't looked at it since. It's my "so you never have to buy any other fucking bonds" account. It's probably down 2-5% in the hottest market in history. That's bonds.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:08 am
malchior wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 am
Now seems to be a pretty bad time to jump into anything bonds related domestically. It's a blood bath there. If the inflation risks pan out then it's probably even worse short-term. There are some decent plays in international debt but that'd be some sort of ETF bond fund (BNDX as an example reference that is in my portfolio as a small percentages).
I have an old 401K. It is 2 years' worth of contributions plus a few years of appreciation. It's an orphan from before my employer switched to a new provider. I put it 100% into bonds 10 months ago and haven't looked at it since. It's my "so you never have to buy any other fucking bonds" account. It's probably down 2-5% in the hottest market in history. That's bonds.
I have some money in TUHYX, mostly as a cash equivalent to earn me more money than just stashing my money in the bank would, and it's a consistent income producer that recovered all the principal it lost and then some when the market crashed last year. My return since inception in October 2019 is 8%.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Possible Archegos 2.0.

Some weird action at the end of the day (see google chart, among others). Rumor is someone got hung naked shorting AMC.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's all the talk this morning on CNBC, out gabbing GME and earning the ire of the contributors they talk to.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Meme stonks are going crazy again. AMC is up another 28% today, and is up over 130% the last week. Sundial is up 36% today; Blackberry 45%; Gamestop another 10%.
Hodor.