Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Road construction rant.

I'm fine with detours. I don't like them, but I get the necessity. But you have to communicate them. There is road construction on the state highway between my town and the town where my son goes to school. Here is the official statement on what's happening:

1. The road will be closed starting May 1.
2. The road will be closed starting May 9.

A. The road will be closed all day, every day.
B. The road will be closed from 5 PM until 6 AM.

Pick two, one from each section. The city reported 2B. The signs at the site reported 2B and 1B. The INDOT website reported 2A.

So we had to guess. If the road was going to be closed, we would need to both wake up and leave here earlier. The trip from my house to the school is normally about 20 minutes. The detour makes it 45 minutes. We played it safe on Monday and Tuesday, and it turned out that 2B was the real answer. The road had been under construction overnight, but was open by 6 AM. Net result: half an hour of sleep lost, and we got to school 25 minutes before they even unlocked the doors. By last night, we'd decided that since it was only closed at night, there was no point in leaving so early. So today it was 2A. I pulled into the school 20 minutes late, and the normally 45 minute round trip is now an hour and a half.

I have no idea what to plan for tomorrow and Friday. I've got a report filed with the INDOT due to directly contradictory information, and they're supposed to resolve it and call me back later, but I don't have high hopes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Ah, the famous paradox of Schrödinger's highway.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 am Ah, the famous paradox of Schrödinger's highway.
That was exactly the comment I made to my son yesterday. It is both open and closed until we observe it. We have to actually try to drive it before we could see whether it was open.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have to go and pick him back up shortly. Michelle was just out and about, so I had her swing by and collapse the wave function early. Luckily, it collapsed into the 'open' state.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am
AWS260 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 am Ah, the famous paradox of Schrödinger's highway.
That was exactly the comment I made to my son yesterday. It is both open and closed until we observe it. We have to actually try to drive it before we could see whether it was open.
Bonus: according to Highwayberg's Uncertainty Principle, you then can't get a ticket because no one knows how fast you're going.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm
Bonus: according to Highwayberg's Uncertainty Principle, you then can't get a ticket because no one knows how fast you're going.
Well if they measure your speed they won't be able to find you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finally got a riding mower and now I wont have gas to mow lol. I have enough for one more mowing but thats it. The only stuff I found yesterday was premium and that wont go in my mower and ruin it. So may be a while.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:
Holman wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 pm
Well if they measure your speed they won't be able to find you.
:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also :clap:
disarm

Post by disarm »

I love pointless applications of science...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But did the hydraulic plate apply the load in the same manner as stacked legos would? If it was a flat plate, it would have applied it to the studs, which are connective. The load from other bricks would be distributed around the edge. I'd think an accurate test would require a steel lego brick - or perhaps a square... tube (what's the word for a square tube?) the size of the outer edge of the brick be placed on top of it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm (what's the word for a square tube?)
Sqube. Duh.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:49 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm (what's the word for a square tube?)
Sqube. Duh.
Is Isgrimnur on vacation or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_structural_section
Rectangular and square HSS are also commonly called tube steel or box section.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wish XKCD hadn't stopped writing "What If?".
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What if some plant disease killed off all the coca plants?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:I wish XKCD hadn't stopped writing "What If?".
Agreed. I have the book and it's fantastic
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sitting on the porch looking at the trees, especially the giant old dead Oak. Ive often wondered why a tree decides to grow a branch where it does...or how it does. All trees are different of course.

Theres a Maple we have that is twice the size it was when I moved here in 1988. Its trunk is about 1 1/2 me wide and goes up only about 24 feet if that . Then it splits into two large limbs that go on up. its first branch though is about 4 foot off the ground then another about 6 foot. Its total height is maybe 60 feet or a bit more.

The old Oak on the other hand is about 3 of me wide or more and the trunk is about 75 feet tall. Its first branch isn't until about 50 foot up. But when it reached 75 foot it shot 3 large limbs off on upwards. Its total height when it was living was over 100 feet.

So always wondered why and how a tree suddenly shoots a branch out and then why it stops the main trunk at a certain height and almost stays there forever.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 pm Sitting on the porch looking at the trees, especially the giant old dead Oak. Ive often wondered why a tree decides to grow a branch where it does...or how it does. All trees are different of course.

Theres a Maple we have that is twice the size it was when I moved here in 1988. Its trunk is about 1 1/2 me wide and goes up only about 24 feet if that . Then it splits into two large limbs that go on up. its first branch though is about 4 foot off the ground then another about 6 foot. Its total height is maybe 60 feet or a bit more.

The old Oak on the other hand is about 3 of me wide or more and the trunk is about 75 feet tall. Its first branch isn't until about 50 foot up. But when it reached 75 foot it shot 3 large limbs off on upwards. Its total height when it was living was over 100 feet.

So always wondered why and how a tree suddenly shoots a branch out and then why it stops the main trunk at a certain height and almost stays there forever.
Courtesy of the Beeb's Science Focus site:

How do tree branches form?
sciencefocus.com wrote:As tree trunks grow upwards, buds are produced on either side. These buds are initially dormant because the growing tip at the top, called the ‘apical meristem’, produces the hormone auxin, which inhibits their development. Once the apical meristem has grown far enough away, the concentration of auxin near the bud drops and it can begin growing sideways. This sideways shoot also lays down its own buds, which are in turn kept dormant until the shoot’s own growing tip has advanced enough.

Luis Villazon
Q&A expert
Luis trained as a zoologist, but now works as a science and technology educator. In his spare time he builds 3D-printed robots, in the hope that he will be spared when the revolution inevitably comes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

would butanone (methy ethyl ketone, aka MEK aka model/hobby cement) be ok/food-safe for repairing a part on a plastic tea strainer? the hot liquid will only come in contact with the dried surface briefly (when the liquid is dispensed). i can't find information on this. i do seem to recall that cyanoacrylate (superglue) is fine?
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat May 15, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm would butanone (methy ethyl ketone, aka MEK aka model/hobby cement) be ok/food-safe for repairing a part on a plastic tea strainer? the hot liquid will only come in contact with the dried surface briefly (when the liquid is dispensed)
Can't you just huff it directly?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I think Im going to have to get a new tablet. Ive read the 10" tablet thread in hardware and think Ill try and save for a used Samsung. Im not sure where to find cheaper used ones though. Right now anything but Amazon would do.

Mine is a 7" Amazon Fire. Its always been slow. Its the thing Ive hated most about it other than storage size and it CONSTANTLY reminding me of that...even though I shoved a huge memory stick in it. Anyways the crack on the back from the USB charging port area is now half of the entire tablet. Its the slowest its ever been even after Ive repeatedly cleaned what I can off it and used CCleaner. It will be working and blink off a second or two only to come back on where it left off. And now the battery gets real hot when its charging and when its simply being used.

I only use it for music like iHeartRadio, YouTube videos, news, and some Twitch. 7" is too small as I get older. And the slowness...eeeeGAds. I tap iheartRadio and 2 minutes later it starts. I can be watching a YT video and its always pausing. And if I want to change volume I can turn it up or down then 15 sec or so later it changes.

I cant take it much longer. But I also dont think it has long to live. Is there any tablets other than Amazon in that cheap price range? Im going to have to save a few months to get one no matter what. Is Samsung my best choice for size and speed? And is there anyone that sells used ones all the time cheap?

My only request for info is NO APPLE!! EVER. :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Reading Marcus Aurelius while waiting for my slot to open up in an online shooter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:48 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:26 pm would butanone (methy ethyl ketone, aka MEK aka model/hobby cement) be ok/food-safe for repairing a part on a plastic tea strainer? the hot liquid will only come in contact with the dried surface briefly (when the liquid is dispensed)
Can't you just huff it directly?
in case anyone cares... i did use the MEK to make the repair, then i coated the glued area (after it cured) with silicone adhesive (which is rated food safe for sure). i think that'll work alright...
Holman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:45 pm Reading Marcus Aurelius while waiting for my slot to open up in an online shooter.
i am reading that exact same thing right now
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Holman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:45 pm Reading Marcus Aurelius while waiting for my slot to open up in an online shooter.
I just finished a really good book on the Stoics. A Guide To The Good Life, by William B Irvine. Definitely a fine book exploring what the Stoics can teach us about living well.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did anyone know Time Team is returning? I didn't until the other day doh. Crowd funded.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:26 pm Did anyone know Time Team is returning? I didn't until the other day doh. Crowd funded.
Really? That's awesome. It'll be strange to see it without Nick Aston, though. It was his baby.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:26 pm Did anyone know Time Team is returning? I didn't until the other day doh. Crowd funded.
Really? That's awesome. It'll be strange to see it without NMick Aston, though. It was his baby.
FTFY.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oops, thanks. And I knew that, too. Slip of the finger, or slip of the mind?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, and they have the show for free on YouTube now, including the seasons Amazon didn't have, so I never got to see!

Seriously, though, great show, and managed to get experts who were not experienced in entertainment (save for Tony - sorry, Sir Tony) who nonetheless managed to be fun, colorful personalities.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya Mick and Robin are no longer with us. Phil and Tony are off doing their own thing but may show up some. But John, Stewart, and Carenza all seem there.

I want a TT shirt. An original one...blue with logo. I can find the right logo but only in black. I must have blue like theirs! :)

Victor passed on but all his art is available to Sue who is back . Victors family gave them access.

You never heard from Victor much but he was always there showing what it might have been like where they were.. Here is a video from him.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

VW of Chattanooga has announced a 2 week halt to production due to lack of chips. Not sure what they expect to change in 2 weeks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You know what would be a fun? An OO interface button that randomly pulled up an already-established thread, which would (given the odds) likely be one no one had visited for a while ("a while" probably meaning 3 to 15 years).

Think of the past selves we could dump upon!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:34 pm You know what would be a fun? An OO interface button that randomly pulled up an already-established thread, which would (given the odds) likely be one no one had visited for a while ("a while" probably meaning 3 to 15 years).

Think of the past selves we could dump upon!
You could do that manually...today!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That already seems to be happening whenever a bot or "new member" joins.

I'd like to see a new bio/member directly with current/past avatars and real photos. I get to know so many people by their avatars and often just develop a "feel", like we get along (or don't), or have played certain games together. But over the years I've forgotten many personal details and who's connected with whom.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When people change avatars is feels off for a while.....Kraken. :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thank goodness the guy's never changed his name.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya him and Brian both.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am a man of many faces. Most of them ugly.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah but the one that looks like a sexy female Tom Selleck makes up for it. The moustache really carries it.