Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 pm Seriously, there needs to be a list if not a thread.

Archinerd will also eat questionable things on a dare. So nothing personal. :)
This sounds like a job for hepcat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heaved so much yesterday Im super sore in my abdomen. Ive coughed and sneezed today and it hurts wow. Its like I did a months work of ab training in that few hours.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 pm We don’t have a thread for stupid stuff Daehawk eats?
We just call it EBG.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 am
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 pm Seriously, there needs to be a list if not a thread.

Archinerd will also eat questionable things on a dare. So nothing personal. :)
This sounds like a job for hepcat.
It absolutely does.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Given things I've seen on Twitch, the ability to eat weird and questionable food is a valuable skill that can be monetized if you're willing to do it live on camera.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Used to watch a YT channel called Steve1969 or something where he ate military MREs and such. Ive seen him eat stuff out of date and waaaay out of date. I mean stuff like from Vietnam days...WW2...I even seen him eat civil war stuff. I mean you can get food poisoning just watching him.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Steve1989MREInfo. A Youtub tradition since 1981.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ah ya 89
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is extremely entertaining (click through for the full thread).

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:22 pm This is extremely entertaining (click through for the full thread).

I usually won't click a twitter thread, but that one was worth the effort.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agreed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think half the parking spaces at the VA are for handicapped.
They know their clientele.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 pm I think half the parking spaces at the VA are for handicapped.
But because it's the gov'ment, those parking spots are the furthest away.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mass. is the second-best state to live in, says something called WalletHub. Who's #1?
Spoiler:
New Jersey!
I expect the relevant OO contingent to call bullshit. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:15 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 pm I think half the parking spaces at the VA are for handicapped.
But because it's the gov'ment, those parking spots are the furthest away.
Absolutely fucking right!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It amuses me that the $10 toolbox I picked up at Home Depot today is called a Homer Box.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I went into Dollar General today there was an elderly man and a young boy sitting at the entrance. They asked if I had any money. It was hot and humid today and they were thirsty. I dont carry money these days but gave them all the change I had on me. Wasn't much. Couple dimes and a bunch of pennies. They actually did look like they needed it.

They were still there as I was leaving. I wished them luck. I can be dense sometimes. I went in for a pack of 7UP with my bit of food stamps for my continued recoup from food poisoning DOH. I stopped and offered them some of my 7UPs . Weren't cold but were cool from being inside in the AC. I punched it open and let the kid grab a few.

And ya if Id thought even more I coulda got a cold couple from the cooler inside but like I said Im dense. Its a good thing. Its on them if the old guy wanted money for something else.

EDIT: Who am I callin old!?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's good. Scammers would never use a kid to help them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These are pretty good.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im closer in age to my nephew and niece than my sister. My sister is 15 years older than me. I was 8 when my nephew was born and 10 when my niece came along.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:31 pm Im closer in age to my nephew and niece than my sister. My sister is 15 years older than me. I was 8 when my nephew was born and 10 when my niece came along.
What’s the name of the bus driver?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Phil
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:31 pm Im closer in age to my nephew and niece than my sister. My sister is 15 years older than me. I was 8 when my nephew was born and 10 when my niece came along.
Generations are more flexible than we usually think.

My wife and I are the same age (inside of three months). I had a grandfather in WW2, and she had two uncles in it.

On the other hand, my other grandfather was (because he lied about his age and joined at 16) in WW1.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have an aunt, when she was born, was an aunt to her half-sister's kids.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle and I are the same age. My father had already served in one war when her parents were born. I have two sisters and a brother (well half-), two of whom were married (but not to each other :music-singing: ) before I was born. That means that my sister and brother were about the age of most of my friends' parents, while my parents where the age of my friends' grandparents. Upside: I got a good grounding in the culture of the entire 20th century growing up, not just the last generation. Downside: Both of my parents were dead by the time I was 30.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Random randomness

Post by Zarathud »

My father in law was the age of my grandparents. My youngest sister was born when I was 17. She’s like the kid I didn’t raise.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm older than my dad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My dad was the youngest of 11 children, and was in his mid-30s when they adopted me. My mom was also the youngest in her family. Consequently, most of my relatives were in their 50s and 60s by the time I was old enough to know them. And because I wasn't their blood, they had little interest in knowing me. My extended family was distant and mostly dead by the time I was 20.

My sister recently embarked on a project to digitize all of our old family photos. She asked me to help ID the people in these old photos, mostly from the 1930s-70s, with some dating to the 1800s. Hah, fat chance. I'm the last survivor with my surname -- nobody in my family is genetically related to me or even shares my name. I scrolled through the first couple hundred pics and could only tentatively ID a handful of them beyond our nuclear family.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I outlived my mother this year (by which I mean I exceeded her age when she died.)

It was a really... strange realization. I never knew her as an adult. My mother died when I was eight, so my memories of her were all from the perspective of a child looking at his mother. That means that the child's mental image of maturity, wisdom, worldliness, and experience never got tarnished by being a teenager, seeing their faults, or dealing with them as one adult to another.

So when I realized that I was older and more 'experienced' than she had ever been, I found it disorienting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

My wife's heritage is very mixed American. Her mom's side goes back to New Amsterdam before it was New York, and they have a signer of the Declaration of Independence (Richard Stockton). Her dad's side are Ukrainian Jews who fled pogroms in 1905, and the relatives who didn't emigrate were later killed in the Holocaust.

We gave our kids hyphenated last names, and they're the only two people on Earth who have it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My mom died aged 56 when I was 23
My dad died aged 76 when I was 33

I find it strange when I have a doctor or mechanic or someone in charge of something and they are younger than me. All my life Ive been younger. Now its changing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:32 pm I find it strange when I have a doctor or mechanic or someone in charge of something and they are younger than me. All my life Ive been younger. Now its changing.
Our doc for the past 30 years retired a few months ago. His successor is a child of maybe 50, if I'm being generous with years. Starting over at our age with some new kid is sub-optimal. We've each seen him a couple of times now, and neither of us connected personally, although we're willing to see if a relationship develops. The only alternative is starting over with someone else, so it might as well be this guy. We don't dislike him.

I like having a young mechanic. Young people are unstable and might disappear at any time, but if they stay put you'll appreciate their ongoing existence. My gas station/garage guy (Nader is Lebanese, I think) doesn't remember my name off the top of his head, but he greets me as "my friend" and never asks for my contact info. I'm probably in his phone as "red Miata" or something like that. :lol: He also mentioned that he was taking classes for something or other and I hope he fails, because I want him to be my mechanic forever. :oops:
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:24 pm Mass. is the second-best state to live in, says something called WalletHub. Who's #1?
Spoiler:
New Jersey!
I expect the relevant OO contingent to call bullshit. :)
Shhh, we pay people to make fun of us just so that the rest of you won't come looking around here...
Conform or be cast out!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Edit: Man I don't come into this thread for a few days, and end up with a bunch of stuff that I want to respond to...
Holman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:54 pm
Generations are more flexible than we usually think.

My wife and I are the same age (inside of three months). I had a grandfather in WW2, and she had two uncles in it.

On the other hand, my other grandfather was (because he lied about his age and joined at 16) in WW1.
My mom & dad were both born during the early weeks of US participation in WW2.

My wife's dad served in the US Navy later in the war and during the occupation.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:04 pm I outlived my mother this year (by which I mean I exceeded her age when she died.)

It was a really... strange realization. I never knew her as an adult. My mother died when I was eight, so my memories of her were all from the perspective of a child looking at his mother. That means that the child's mental image of maturity, wisdom, worldliness, and experience never got tarnished by being a teenager, seeing their faults, or dealing with them as one adult to another.

So when I realized that I was older and more 'experienced' than she had ever been, I found it disorienting.
A while ago I had a similar disorientation, but it was because I've been married for almost 31 years, and that is far longer than my mother and almost as long as my dad's total.

My parents separated while I was in first grade, and divorced several years after that. So they were married for 17 years, but only lived together for about 12. My mom was married a second time, for another 10 years or so. My dad married twice more, briefly to my wicked stepmother, and then a third time until he died almost 15 years ago. I think the sum total of his three marriages is slightly more than my 31 years.

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm My wife's heritage is very mixed American. Her mom's side goes back to New Amsterdam before it was New York, and they have a signer of the Declaration of Independence (Richard Stockton). Her dad's side are Ukrainian Jews who fled pogroms in 1905, and the relatives who didn't emigrate were later killed in the Holocaust.

We gave our kids hyphenated last names, and they're the only two people on Earth who have it.
I have a Stockton in my tree, but despite that branch being in NJ I don't have solid proof of a connection to that Richard Stockton.

My wife's father's side of the family were Ukrainian, but Orthodox not Jewish. Her grandfather came to visit the US in 1913 and decided that WW1 made it unwise to return home. It's fun doing genealogy research on that branch, because for "birthplace" they would answer various ways: Austria-Hungary, Ruthenia, Ukraine, Poland, and maybe a few others.

The last of my immigrant ancestors came from England in 1866 or so. The first of my wife's came in the 1880s I think.
Conform or be cast out!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm My wife's heritage is very mixed American. Her mom's side goes back to New Amsterdam before it was New York, and they have a signer of the Declaration of Independence (Richard Stockton). Her dad's side are Ukrainian Jews who fled pogroms in 1905, and the relatives who didn't emigrate were later killed in the Holocaust.

I have a Stockton in my tree, but despite that branch being in NJ I don't have solid proof of a connection to that Richard Stockton.
There are a lot of important Stocktons in early America. Richard Stockton was New Jersey's signer of the Declaration, but my wife's family also goes back to another Stockton (also named Richard) who signed the Flushing Remonstrance, a claim to religious freedom in New Amsterdam that established a basis for the 1st Amendment to the Constitution.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Learned from the TV news today that Fathers Day is a federal holiday.
In that case we should have it on Monday.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bout time. The guy is a legend.

James Hong Gets His Hollywood Star

Enlarge Image
In August last year, actor Daniel Dae Kim launched a GoFundMe page to campaign for a nomination on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for veteran actor James Hong. It appears to have worked as Hong has now been listed as one of the newest recipients to be given his own star in this year’s honors.

92-year-old Hong is one of the most prolific actors ever in showbusiness, having played almost 700 television and film roles since the 1950s including 469 TV shows, 149 feature films, 32 short films and 22 video games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Indeed. Good for him!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:53 pm
Hrdina wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 pm

There are a lot of important Stocktons in early America. Richard Stockton was New Jersey's signer of the Declaration, but my wife's family also goes back to another Stockton (also named Richard) who signed the Flushing Remonstrance, a claim to religious freedom in New Amsterdam that established a basis for the 1st Amendment to the Constitution.
(apologies in advance to people who get bored by genealogy)

My 3rd-great grandmother Josephine Stockton (1843-1926) was supposedly the daughter of Benjamin Stockton and Ann Carpenter (according to her death certificate). I've seen multiple places where Benjamin is listed as the son of William Wood Stockton and Ann Lippincott, but those always appear on people's family trees as assertions without evidence. I've seen some evidence that WW had a son named Benjamin, but after that it's all conjecture.

William Wood is usually traced back to Job Stockton (1654-1732) who came from London England to Springfield NJ. Job was supposedly the brother of Richard Stockton II (b 1650 in Flushing) who is perhaps related to your Richard.

I have a handful of other Stocktons in my database, but Josephine and her ancestors are the only direct line I know of.
Conform or be cast out!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:47 pm (apologies in advance to people who get bored by genealogy)
Another fun Stockton fact:

Richard (of Declaration fame) was the only signer who recanted. He was captured by the British and placed in a prison ship, and the experience broke his health (as prison ships were intended to do). He signed a paper rejecting American independence.

Congress later voted to forgive his recantation as it was made under duress. I guess this is why there's a rest stop named after him on the NJ Turnpike.