Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

hahaha.

I cant wear short ankle socks. They feel really weird to me. Growing up in the 70s I had those striped tube socks to my knees. Crew socks are as shot as I can go.

Worn tall socks all my life. So much so that each leg from the pointy part of the shin bone out to the side has no hair at all on my leg. Almost to my knee. Guess not enough sunlight and fertilizer :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:31 pm I like the seamless teo.
Good thing I don't rely on my socks for grammar advice.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:33 pm hahaha.

I cant wear short ankle socks. They feel really weird to me. Growing up in the 70s I had those striped tube socks to my knees. Crew socks are as shot as I can go.

Worn tall socks all my life. So much so that each leg from the pointy part of the shin bone out to the side has no hair at all on my leg. Almost to my knee. Guess not enough sunlight and fertilizer :P
I was the same way for a long time. As a kid in the 70s and 80s I wore the same striped knee socks as every boy did. From the time I was about 14 until I hit 30, I only ever wore boots. Hiking boots when I was younger, then combat/tactical boots at work, and that meant socks that matched the length of the boot. I didn't even like sneakers, as I was used to footwear that was strapped to my leg and gave me a lot of control. Non-tied shoes like sandals? Forget it. Then I went on disability, and couldn't justify the expense of boots. Cheap sneakers you can wear comfortably. Cheap boots? Not so much. So sneakers it was, or barefoot when around the house. I also finally started wearing shorts in the summer (something I didn't do from the time I was about 12 until I was well beyond 30), mostly because of the hot Indiana summers. Know what looks like ass? Boot socks with shorts, at least when it isn't Oktoberfest. So I went with over-the-ankle socks. And I survived, and they were more comfortable and cooler, and the extra six inches I was missing... wasn't really doing anything. I had mostly kept wearing boot socks out of habit, and avoided trying anything else for so long that I didn't really get that I was making myself less comfortable - and hotter.

One time five or ten years ago I picked up some new socks, and bought the wrong kind. I ended up with ankle socks. I swore, but wore them for a while. And found I preferred them.

When it comes right down to it, socks are there to provide some cushion (which only happens inside the shoe), absorb sweat (again, inside the shoe) and protect your skin from the shoe (and once more, only applies to where the shoe covers.) With the exception, I'll admit, of dress socks which can serve to cover our pasty ankles when wearing them fancy duds.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

The best way to preserve socks is to never walk around on the bare floor in them. Get a good pair of year-round inside slippers to wear over them. This will cushion the socks' bottom surface and give them years of life.

I assume you're not wearing outside shoes in the house (as that brings every bad outside thing inside) and that you're not walking around barefoot (which is just utterly disgusting).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wear shoes outside and house slippers inside. I dont go sockless.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 pm I assume you're not wearing outside shoes in the house (as that brings every bad outside thing inside) and that you're not walking around barefoot (which is just utterly disgusting).
Socks in the winter. Barefoot in the summer!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 pm I assume you're not wearing outside shoes in the house (as that brings every bad outside thing inside) and that you're not walking around barefoot (which is just utterly disgusting).
Socks in the winter. Barefoot in the summer!
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It isn't like I'm walking barefoot in a public bathhouse or licking my feet, and my tendons appreciate it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm so old I remember my mom darning my dad's socks. Back in the day, socks were hand-knitted and worth mending.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My mother in law has both knitted me new socks and darned some old socks. I'm afraid I didn't really like the darned socks as the darned patch always felt funny under the balls of my feet. It was still a nice gesture.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I used to darn my own socks. Now I seldom wear them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I sew mine up sometimes but only if its in a spot I wont walk on it. If its on the heel or along the side I just toss them. My wife used to do that for me along with my pants pockets and shirts. Im not good at it like she was so more likely than not it re rips or looks like shit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 pm My mother in law has both knitted me new socks and darned some old socks. I'm afraid I didn't really like the darned socks as the darned patch always felt funny under the balls of my feet. It was still a nice gesture.
You've got darned sensitive balls.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have MSN set as my home page. One of today's headlines that either signals the end of the world or was some weird version of MadLibs was: "Kim Kardashian Studies in a Tiny String Bikini as She Preps for Bar Exam"

Wait...what?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 am I have MSN set as my home page. One of today's headlines that either signals the end of the world or was some weird version of MadLibs was: "Kim Kardashian Studies in a Tiny String Bikini as She Preps for Bar Exam"

Wait...what?
You are talking about it. Mission Accomplished!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Worn-out socks are usually very soft from lots of washing, which makes them great for dusting furniture. You can even wear them like mittens for it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So Firefox ad... recommendation... tab is informing that Honey is doing a Smeg... giveaway... Umm... Smeg? Um... Yuck... Apparently Smeg is an appliance company that dates back to 1948. What an unfortunate brand name. Smeg kettle... Smeg blender...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish Google Maps would leave their older street view pics alone. Like today I wanted to see an old Ryan's Steakhouse me and my wife used to go to. She even had me my 21st birthday surprise party there. I know they had the old pic of the place because Ive went and viewed it many times before. Its from about 2007 . 2007 is as far back as street view goes. Now in that area its locked at 2011 so by then the place had changed to something else.

Dont get why they do this at some areas but not at others.

Also surprised that Google Earth's time feature only goes back to around 1993. You'd think there were satellite scans before then.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:23 pm Dont get why they do this at some areas but not at others.
They get around to everywhere (or everywhere Google users will be looking) eventually.

We moved into our house and built a backyard fence in 2019. I happened to look before and after, and the Google satellite view finally got the fence only last month.
Also surprised that Google Earth's time feature only goes back to around 1993. You'd think there were satellite scans before then.
Sure, but they were mainly interested in Warsaw Pact military bases.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Where my English majors at?

From "The Elements of Eloquence" by Mark Forsyth (which I can recommend).

This remains the most mind-boggling page of anything I've read in the past ten years.
I...am stunned.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't thought too deeply about the first one yet, but I'm sure there are examples that break it. This may be a convention and naturally-occurring rule, but is it an absolute? The latter seems like a natural rhythm-tone development too, and I'm sure you see lots of infractions that originate in regions that don't speak English as their first language. India perhaps?

I mean, if Mr. Rice, Ms. Morgenthaler, and Mr. Squibbitz want to start a law firm, it almost has to be Squibbitz, Morganthaler, & Rice, no?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I for one will flop-flip and break these conventions every chance I get. Tat for tit!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I disagree a little. Green great dragons can exist if "great dragons" is one concept like a great sword or great aunt.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:29 pm I disagree a little. Green great dragons can exist if "great dragons" is one concept like a great sword or great aunt.
This almost proves the point about how our brain works. It's like a linguistic order of operations. Our brain sees it as (Green) x (Great Dragon). Interesting.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yaaaa right.

"Put new tires, deck, and belts on. Sharpened blades. Put new engine on it this year. Wont run. Just needs a simple carp adjustment"

Lemme see..you put tires, deck and belts on. Then you sharpened the blades and put an engine on. But you cant be bothered to turn a little screw or two and get it to run? LIAR%! I hate sellers like that.

Also hate the ones wanting $600 for rusted metal junk with no engine. I aint paying your lame ass $600 for the privilege of hauling off your junk. How bout you pay me $100 to haul it away for metal price?

Then theres always the ads.."It ran blah and blah years ago when we parked it up there."

Or..."Its $500 and we'll ship it to you from 3 states away. Ok $400. $300?...$200??? Awww come on send us some free money"

I got more sense in my little finger than you do in your entire family tree.

And adding the word 'rare' to it doesn't make it anything other than rare junk and make me wonder what kinda tree your family tree is. My guess is a nut bearing one.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Bear in mind I'm not complaining, but you may have enough material for a designated Daehawk lawnmower thread.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:33 am Bear in mind I'm not complaining, but you may have enough material for a designated Daehawk lawnmower thread.
It's one of our longest-running serials, right up there with "Weird stuff Daehawk eats."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Madmarcus wrote:I disagree a little. Green great dragons can exist if "great dragons" is one concept like a great sword or great aunt.
Also, aren’t hyphenated words (tic-tac, flip-flop, hunky-dory et al) considered single words?

“Flip-flop” is one word, not two, correct?
Holman

Post by Holman »

There definitely are exceptions.

It's always "big red balloon" unless you're specifying that you want a RED big balloon instead of the blue one they just brought you from the big-balloon department.

And the second rule (that vowels in repeated words always go I A O) is probably related to the way vowels work in the mouth. Maybe it's easiest or most comfortable to follow that pattern, but it's the kind of rule a poet breaks as soon as they find an interesting reason to do so.

(Every vowel comes from a specific posture of the tongue and the mouth. Russian has a high-back vowel most of us can't even imitate because we have no practice moving our tongue there.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

With the family adults vaccinated, my sister is coming out to visit for my oldest daughter’s birthday and upcoming graduation.

So my wife decided on Friday we finally needed to get an IKEA sleeper couch for the basement to replace the old futon like we discussed months ago. I swear that half the store is back ordered, and I couldn’t get a new Kallax for the next Kickstarter wave.

But we had a sleeper sofa delivered and assembled it ourselves. What a comedy of errors— so many confusing Pictograms, screws in tiny corners, and barely squeezing the sofa slips on. But it’s finally done, with a lot of soreness and one ripped pair of jeans (mine). I guess it’s nice to know our marriage can still survive IKEA furniture.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh dear God! They've added a roundabout in rural Kentucky

Let’s see how they’re doing

Scroll down to see the mayhem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We have at least one here in Arkansas.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Roundabout alternate link.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I bought Bugels at the grocery store on my last trip because the bag touted them as "America's #1 Finger Hat" and I wanted to reward them for amusing me via packaging. Unfortunately, something has changed since the last time I had Bugels, as they don't really fit on fingers anymore. It's not just my giant grown man fingers, either. My 6 year old daughter can't get more than couple on the tips of her fingers, either. Back in my day, you could wear a fistful of Bugel finger hats all day long and terrorize others with the threat of corn-based slashing damage.

[insert old man yells at cloud image]

On the plus side, they're still salty as all get out.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I thought they were witch's fingers.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm I bought Bugels at the grocery store on my last trip because the bag touted them as "America's #1 Finger Hat" and I wanted to reward them for amusing me via packaging. Unfortunately, something has changed since the last time I had Bugels, as they don't really fit on fingers anymore. It's not just my giant grown man fingers, either. My 6 year old daughter can't get more than couple on the tips of her fingers, either. Back in my day, you could wear a fistful of Bugel finger hats all day long and terrorize others with the threat of corn-based slashing damage.

[insert old man yells at cloud image]

On the plus side, they're still salty as all get out.
Alas, they're merely a pale imitation of proper British finger chapeaus:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Those aren't hats! Those are rings! At best they're brimless visors or maybe head(finger?)bands.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm Those aren't hats! Those are rings! At best they're brimless visors or maybe head(finger?)bands.
Granted, but they are better-suited for fitting onto fingers and taste much better (and are also available in a more pleasant variety of flavours, too). So don't knock 'em 'til you and your daughter have tried 'em.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I saw someone on FB Marketplace selling solar flashlights. Started laughing. Turns out it may be real lol. Kinda stupid.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm I saw someone on FB Marketplace selling solar flashlights. Started laughing. Turns out it may be real lol. Kinda stupid.
Um. In case you aren't joking, you are aware that you use solar to charge the battery, right? Then when you want to use the flashlight at night, the battery is charged up. They aren't supposed to be used during the day. Because that would be silly. If I still hiked/camped, I'd definitely be interested in something like that. Hang it on your pack during the day and have light at night. I would have loved something like that when I backpacked around New Zealand in the early 90's.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm I saw someone on FB Marketplace selling solar flashlights. Started laughing. Turns out it may be real lol. Kinda stupid.
Um. In case you aren't joking, you are aware that you use solar to charge the battery, right? Then when you want to use the flashlight at night, the battery is charged up. They aren't supposed to be used during the day. Because that would be silly. If I still hiked/camped, I'd definitely be interested in something like that. Hang it on your pack during the day and have light at night. I would have loved something like that when I backpacked around New Zealand in the early 90's.
Bezos has 'em. My children go camping, so gifts incoming.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter