Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Sudy »

Congratulations! Earlier this week was the 15th anniversary of when Mrs. Nym and I first met online.

I have heard Mrs. Nym drop many, many F-bombs though. :lol:

That's ludicrous. I'm not as familiar with Doordash as the local services I use, but I'm pretty sure that driver is getting banned after the mountain of evidence Mrs. SP presumably dropped on them. Thankfully there were texts in addition to phone calls. What would someone even do with 10 pizzas? Unless they were just frustrated and dumped them on the side of the road. But would it be worth risking the gig, if you need it?

I've used Ubereats and equivalents far, far too many times. Never had an order not show up. Had the wrong order arrive once. And had items missing/seriously messed up orders numerous times. I've almost always gotten compensation, but it's rarely actually sufficient. Like sure, the value is recouped in the form of a refund or coupon, but someone's meal was ruined. And it's not like I'm not going to tip the driver for something that wasn't their fault.

Definitely get the odd lazy or stupid driver who doesn't know how to use a buzzer though, or didn't realize a drink was horizontal and leaking in the bag the whole time, etc.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First time in a long while I went maskless in the food stores. It was mask free day!

Now I hope in a week I dont have to post ..its sick day!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why does the Bon Jovi WIKI list them as a glam metal band? Thats rediculous. Id list them as rock. Perhaps sometimes rock pop. But glam or metal..nah.

And I was looking up the year Slippery When Wet came out so there :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm Why does the Bon Jovi WIKI list them as a glam metal band? Thats rediculous. Id list them as rock. Perhaps sometimes rock pop. But glam or metal..nah.
As a NJ resident, they were absolutely Glam Metal when they started.

Enlarge Image

Maybe not 70s style glam metal, but whatever was going on in the early to mid 1980s version.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I always thought they fell clearly in the "hair metal" genre.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They are not metal at all. Im not sure at this point Id consider Ozzy to be metal.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Genre is only relevant if you're trying to find something in a record store. Everything else is gatekeeping.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm They are not metal at all. Im not sure at this point Id consider Ozzy to be metal.
No, they're not metal. They're hair metal. Those are two different genres that share a few similarities, but are mostly different.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm They are not metal at all. Im not sure at this point Id consider Ozzy to be metal.
I'm not sure what else you would classify Ozzy as, tbh. Hard Rock, maybe, but the line between that and metal is pretty dang thin.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only we had a metalhed who could help us out.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:56 pm If only we had a metalhed who could help us out.
Alas
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 pm
I'm not sure what else you would classify Ozzy as, tbh. Hard Rock, maybe, but the line between that and metal is pretty dang thin.
Very thin indeed.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:29 pm Genre is only relevant if you're trying to find something in a record store. Everything else is gatekeeping.
word
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the addition of a keyboardist (as a consistent contributor, not just a one-off song) is how you start to break down the various metal/rock elements.

The glam metal bands all had keyboardists, though they were usually hidden in the background - (Bon Jovi, Poison)

When they get into being a focus and/or indulgent you're now into prog rock (Yes, Pink Floyd)

This is my thesis. Let the arguments commence. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:36 pm I think the addition of a keyboardist (as a consistent contributor, not just a one-off song) is how you start to break down the various metal/rock elements.

The glam metal bands all had keyboardists, though they were usually hidden in the background - (Bon Jovi, Poison)

When they get into being a focus and/or indulgent you're now into prog rock (Yes, Pink Floyd)

This is my thesis. Let the arguments commence. :D
Nearly all symphonic and most black metal bands have keyboards as a primary element. Even the stuff that's considered the most "brvtal" old-school metal (i.e. Emperor, Mayhem, Dark Funeral, Enslaved, etc.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So then I would consider symphonic and black metal an off-shoot of prog-rock. I'm sure there's a taxonomy chart somewhere. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wait, Elton John and Billy Joel are prog rock? Maybe Cap'n and Taniel. Tony Teniel did perform with Pink Floyd, if my brain isn't too addled...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe? Piano is the central element for both (not guitar) so they're something else. I can do this all day.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm Maybe? Piano is the central element for both (not guitar) so they're something else. I can do this all day.
Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, too?

Steve Allen?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am Mrs Skinypupy and I have been married for 23 years next week, and have been together for just under 25.

I heard her drop an f-bomb for the first time ever last night, after the Doordash driver who was supposed to be delivering 10 pizzas for her dance team's party literally stole it. :shock:

The driver called Mrs SP saying she couldn't find the address. Mrs SP was extremely patient trying to give her directions on three separate phone calls and a series of texts, but she still couldn't find the place. The driver apparently just gave up, marked the food as "delivered", submitted a picture of the pizza sitting on the front seat of her car claiming that was the delivery location, then put in the notes that "the customer was completely unresponsive to her requests for additional directions".

I honestly don't think I've ever seen her as mad as she was last night. I feel a little bit bad for the hell that is about to rain down on that Doordash driver.
Damn!

What was the resolution? Did you ever get the pizza? If so, who made you all whole? DoorDash? The restaurant?
Hodor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

how about to start:

'hard rock' is more blues-based
'metal' has shredding and is more aggro (and goes more to the extremes)

e.g.
AC/DC would be the former
Metallica would be the latter
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, too?
Rock n Roll
Steve Allen?
I dunno. He's credited as a composer. I'll let the academics argue that one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a long and winding road.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm So then I would consider symphonic and black metal an off-shoot of prog-rock. I'm sure there's a taxonomy chart somewhere. :D
Why yes, there is! :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's legitimately amazing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

All metal leads to a single point in 2010? I am/was into some of those genres in the past, it would be fun if clicking on one would show the most representative bands, if only to set a baseline for the terminology that might not be the same from one person to the next.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:31 pm All metal leads to a single point in 2010?
The points all correspond to approximately when that particular genre started. So the 2010 entry (Kawaii metal) is simply the starting point for the most recent new genre.
I am/was into some of those genres in the past, it would be fun if clicking on one would show the most representative bands, if only to set a baseline for the terminology that might not be the same from one person to the next.
This interactive map is fairly comprehensive and includes examples, but I find the format to be pretty janky.

It's not in flowchart form, but this is a pretty good summary.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whatavidone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am Mrs Skinypupy and I have been married for 23 years next week, and have been together for just under 25.

I heard her drop an f-bomb for the first time ever last night, after the Doordash driver who was supposed to be delivering 10 pizzas for her dance team's party literally stole it. :shock:

The driver called Mrs SP saying she couldn't find the address. Mrs SP was extremely patient trying to give her directions on three separate phone calls and a series of texts, but she still couldn't find the place. The driver apparently just gave up, marked the food as "delivered", submitted a picture of the pizza sitting on the front seat of her car claiming that was the delivery location, then put in the notes that "the customer was completely unresponsive to her requests for additional directions".

I honestly don't think I've ever seen her as mad as she was last night. I feel a little bit bad for the hell that is about to rain down on that Doordash driver.
Damn!

What was the resolution? Did you ever get the pizza? If so, who made you all whole? DoorDash? The restaurant?
She did not get the pizza. Her anger was actually compounded exponentially when she drove to the Little Caesar’s where it had been ordered from, and the manager basically shrugged and said “sucks for you, not my problem”.

Doordash then pushed back, citing the driver’s claim that it was delivered and that they couldn’t reach Mrs SP. She sent them screenshots of her call and text logs with the driver. They have apparently said they will be issuing a refund, but that it can take up to 10 business days to process. :roll:

I have never personally used Doordash, and I’m quite unlikely to after this experience.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Gift from my sister:

Enlarge Image

At least, I believe she's my sister.

Memory is a funny thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm

Damn!

She did not get the pizza. Her anger was actually compounded exponentially when she drove to the Little Caesar’s where it had been ordered from, and the manager basically shrugged and said “sucks for you, not my problem”.

Doordash then pushed back, citing the driver’s claim that it was delivered and that they couldn’t reach Mrs SP. She sent them screenshots of her call and text logs with the driver. They have apparently said they will be issuing a refund, but that it can take up to 10 business days to process. :roll:

I have never personally used Doordash, and I’m quite unlikely to after this experience.
The worst issue I've had with DoorDash so far is a driver putting my order in front of the wrong door of the 4 units that share my address (are A and D that hard to tell the difference between?). At least the picture told me where my food was. Otherwise, I've had no issues with them. I've definitely heard stories about drivers stealing orders like that, though, and I'd go apeshit if that happened to me.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 pm Gift from my sister:

Enlarge Image

At least, I believe she's my sister.

Memory is a funny thing.
Quick question.. .

While walking along in desert sand, you suddenly look down and see a tortoise crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The tortoise lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know of a good insulated glass for soda or other liquids? I like to keep a coke at my pc to sip on and it gets hot too quick even with ac. I dont like ice in my soda but when I have used it I either end up drinking the melted ice on top first or I use a straw and end up knocking it over as I reach for something.

So looking for a cup/glass that will keep it cold longer without using ice or plugging it in. I used to think about one of those usb powered chiller coasters but again that would be in my way.

And Im not talking expensive. The cheapest best option.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 pm Anyone know of a good insulated glass for soda or other liquids? I like to keep a coke at my pc to sip on and it gets hot too quick even with ac. I dont like ice in my soda but when I have used it I either end up drinking the melted ice on top first or I use a straw and end up knocking it over as I reach for something.

So looking for a cup/glass that will keep it cold longer without using ice or plugging it in. I used to think about one of those usb powered chiller coasters but again that would be in my way.

And Im not talking expensive. The cheapest best option.
Your best bet will likely be a 'double wall' / insulated tumbler. (find one that's as cheap as you would like... the set of 4, below, is pretty good)

I imagine you could go super fancy with this - but not if you want super cheap too.

edit: link
(not sure why that wouldn't show as a link for you... /shrug - hope it does now)
Last edited by Unagi on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont see anything in your post but the text.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Warehouse ... 803&sr=8-5

FYI, if you click the button to quote the comment, you can see the link.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks.

Ah I didn't even think of a regular open top glass. I was thinking of a lidded type. Neat. Double walled would probably cut down on sweating of the outside too.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks.

Ah I didn't even think of a regular open top glass. I was thinking of a lidded type. Neat. Double walled would probably cut down on sweating of the outside too.
also, if you have a fan blowing on you - that will no longer contribute to the convection heating of your beverage, once it's insulated...
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks.

Double walled completely eliminates sweating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles