Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Random randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

I could be off-base here, but I'd think if a monitor had a center on/off switch it would be because they expected that monitor to be mounted and not on a pedestal?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:38 am I'm continuously dumbfounded by the location of power and setting buttons on monitors. It's like they all have a special engineering department called "The Department of Making Shit Unfindable".
I just hate when they are senors and not buttons but they are set up like they are buttons and there is no indicator for me. Am I pushing the button, waving a sensor, am I in the right place, am I pushing hard enough? Especially when display monitors play energy efficiency display port games or get signals screwed up by docking stations connected through USBC that sometimes lose connection for 1/4 second for hosts and hosts of windows or hardware reasons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The ones you have to "wiggle" to activate/change a setting piss me off even more. :x
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've not even seen that. Good for me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:49 am I've not even seen that. Good for me.
I didn’t even know you were in to animal husbandry.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:52 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:49 am I've not even seen that. Good for me.
I'm too old and alone for innuendo like that to be meaningful for me any more. My bar bill has long since turned in to additional 401K contributions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You get my damn newsletter, for cryin' out loud!
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:59 am
You get my damn newsletter, for cryin' out loud!
Enjoyed best over a cup of hot chocolate.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn: Hot Chocolate Predator

Jaymann, your commitment to callbacks is second only to my own. A tip of the hat to you, my friend. :lol:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:17 amLooking for the on/off power button symbol (I & O) will typically steer you in the right direction. It's plenty subtle on your linked monitor, but it definitely is there.

You can see it highlighted if you embiggen the image below:

Enlarge Image
:angry-steamingears:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Can we mark down today as the official day OO became old?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm so sick of seeing the social media post, "Does pineapple belong on pizza???!" Often made by some radio station on the other side of the continent. (I guess it works to generate the lowest level of discourse.)

It's a personal decision, damn it! My choice of whether or not to order pineapple affects no one but myself!

For the record it's not my preference. But I don't mind the occasional pineappled slice from an off-pizza in a group of two or more.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm It's a personal decision, damn it! My choice of whether or not to order pineapple affects no one but myself!
And anyone else eating from the same pizza. That and stinky little fish are the only no flies when someone asks "what do you want on you pizza?" Everything else is on the table, unless you try to sell me some California Pizza Kitchen nonsense or you are ordering from a place where I know I like/dislike a certain thing. Then I push for/against that specific thing from that specific place.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If we're sharing pizzas I'm presuming we had a "talk" prior to ordering.

If you're a stranger walking by my table and you swipe a slice, I have no sympathy for your preferences. :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not just pineapple, but strawberries as well
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm It's a personal decision, damn it! My choice of whether or not to order pineapple affects no one but myself!
And anyone else eating from the same pizza. That and stinky little fish are the only no flies when someone asks "what do you want on you pizza?" Everything else is on the table, unless you try to sell me some California Pizza Kitchen nonsense or you are ordering from a place where I know I like/dislike a certain thing. Then I push for/against that specific thing from that specific place.
I had a manager ask if I was cool with Jalapeños on pizza. Of course I said yes. It came with the peppers... and pineapple. She didn't even know the pineapple was the controversial topping!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:22 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:06 pm
I had a manager ask if I was cool with Jalapeños on pizza. Of course I said yes. It came with the peppers... and pineapple. She didn't even know the pineapple was the controversial topping!
That has happened to me as well from coworkers past. To each their own, unless I'm expected to partake or pay.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Getting pizza for a group of 10-30 as we often do at work is a horrendous task. We often have staff on duty requiring halal, kosher, and vegetarian options. Somehow we always wind up with a pepperoni pie, veg, and something with grilled chicken and hot peppers for some reason. And the person who orders drinks always seems to get nothing but diet.

Sudy just wants his rug back hot sausage, bacon strips, and mushrooms.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm We often have staff on duty requiring halal, kosher, and vegetarian options. Somehow we always wind up with a pepperoni pie, veg, and something with grilled chicken and hot peppers for some reason. And the person who orders drinks always seems to get nothing but diet.
That sounds like my office... Well, in the before times. 45 people and we also had to have halal, kosher, and vegetarian when catering/pizza and we also always seem to end with mostly diet sodas.

I'm never paying and there's always something for me, so it's always my favorite. Except I never take a slice pineapple. :D I love me some Mediterranean chicken thin crust if they are ordering for Cottage Inn though. Sooo good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like anchovies on mine, but never once has that been an option on a work pizza day.
:think:
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:09 pm I like anchovies on mine, but never once has that been an option on a work pizza day.

You were the guy who used to microwave fish at work in the before times aren't you?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I like pineapple as a pizza topping, and not just because it's an easy way to ensure that I get more than my fair share of the pie. But if people want to hate on pineapple pizza, I have no qualms about manipulating that hate for my own nefarious/gluttonous purposes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:09 pm I like anchovies on mine, but never once has that been an option on a work pizza day.

You were the guy who used to microwave fish at work in the before times aren't you?
Anchovies aren't a fish. They're a type of marsupial.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the people i knew on Halal diets would always make do with the vegetarian options presented - it was too much work to request otherwise

i always liked volunteering for the KEXP pledge drives, as the donated food would almost always be at least 50% veg-friendly.

my favorite toppings are pineapple, strawberry, jalapeno, tomato, eggplant and black olive. if i could only pick two, it's pineapple and black olive.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:57 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Anchovies aren't a fish. They're a type of marsupial.
I thought they were a waste product of salt mining.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Aren't they Italian?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're thinking of the Mario Brothers again.
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:24 pm I thought they were a waste product of salt mining.
Do I need to remind you that you'll eat just about anything that doesn't physically fight you off?
He won. Period.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Why did I think we had a specific retirement home thread? Instead the topic seems to be spread over this thread and the are you ready for retirement thread.

Talking about possible retirement locations and homes is awkward when you ...
Don't know if you will retire in 1 or 3 years
Own a decent home but don't want to stay there long term
Have family that isn't clustered
Have geographical desires that amount to 4 seasons and not too likely to get crushed by climate change in the next 30 years
Realize that the geographical limits could also include expat locations and are actively interested in that option but not wedded to it
Don't know if you want an urban, walking, and public transit area or a semi-rural better for gardening and a workshop shed area
Don't like to spend money but actually could if the right place came up
Can't decide on a small home for what we need or a bigger home for some of the things we might want
Feel the pull of older, quirky homes but are practical enough that you wonder if they are worth the premium

Sort of venting after a 2 hour car ride with my brother and sister who seem to low key think I am nuts for not being able to state a specific intention for where I will live when I come back from Korea. Or at least a short list of places I'm going to go visit in search of the final spot.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I share most of those questions and concerns. I'd stay right where I am if I could renovate this house to be elder-friendly, and it's going to need major work to get ready to sell anyway, but it's a small 2-storey house on a small lot, and not transformable into something else. I can't afford to buy a nicer house in my neighborhood, but I can get a lot more house for the money if I move elsewhere.

Me and Wife have been going around and around this discussion for years, and the clock is running out on making some solid decisions.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:48 am Me and Wife have been going around and around this discussion for years,
:D Of course the conversation with my brother and sister then prompted discussion with my wife.

If we would simply settle any one question (location, urban/small city/small town, size of house, size of lot) it would help. On the other hand we are poster children for not being able to decide on where we want to go to dinner so why should deciding on a new location be any easier!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:41 am Have geographical desires that amount to 4 seasons and not too likely to get crushed by climate change in the next 30 years
Don't know if you want an urban, walking, and public transit area or a semi-rural better for gardening and a workshop shed area
Don't like to spend money but actually could if the right place came up
Feel the pull of older, quirky homes but are practical enough that you wonder if they are worth the premium
These bullets suggest that you might consider New England. I've lived here for 35 years and don't intend to leave.

We have four seasons, with winters slowly getting shorter and milder. Flooding is a long-term concern along the coast, but not so much inland.

My town, 12 miles south of Boston, is a perfect trade-off between urban and suburban. Highly walkable with good public transit into Boston, yet I have a nice little yard and garden. New England grew up around a loose network of village centers, and that pattern survived suburbanization.

Housing prices are the main drawback.

We have lots of older housing stock (my house is 106 years old), and it gets renovated fairly regularly.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

So far I have at least slightly looked at...

Portugal - Interesting but all three living parents are 80+ and having at least some health issues. Probably the chance to move overseas has passed until some deaths occur which sees us settled elsewhere. There more exotic ideas of Malaysia, Malta,or somewhere in the Balkans are probably even out at this point

New England - Particularly Mass outside of the immediate Boston area and perhaps parts of surrounding states (yes that is your influence)
Parts of Eastern PA - the Allentown/Bethlehem area
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia for urban areas that might be nice and aren't outrageously expensive
Staunton VA or elsewhere in the Shenandoah valley
Madison or Milwaukee - both have come up but with much less personal knowledge so it is hard to say

and of course various different small to mid sized college towns have been mentioned
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id move to New Zealand if I had no ties here and plenty of money.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 pm Id move to New Zealand if I had no ties here and plenty of money.
Having plenty of money can certainly help, but it's hardly the only impediment to emigration. For example, here are the ways to immigrate to New Zealand, which helps provide some perspective on the necessary conditions required:
Ways to immigrate to New Zealand
Visa typeExam*CostReviewCondition
Student6.0+207 USD1-3 monthsEducation at a university or language course
Work to residence-347 USD2-4 monthsA job offer
Skilled migrant6.5+442 USD5+ weeksHigh qualification
Business4.0+445 USD3-21 monthsMembership in Edmund Hillary Fellowship, buying or starting a business in New Zealand
Investment0+ , 3.0+435 USD2+ weeksInvestments from 2,103,150 USD
Spouse-1,577 USD11 monthsPartnership with a resident or citizen of New Zealand
Partner and child5.0+344 USD7+ monthsClose relationship (partner, parent, child 24 years old and younger than a citizen or resident)
Humanitarian--6-8 monthsRefugees and people seeking protection
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You don't have to live like a refugee, but in this case it might help.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't have a way in to New Zealand so it's a moot point but I'm still not sure it would be high on my list. Under some doomsday situations it might be nice but otherwise I think I could find everything in New Zealand in the US. I've never been but I've heard many people compare NZ to the rural US 20+ years ago and that isn't exactly what I'm looking for even if it comes with some cool scenery.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dae, people like us will always find it hard to emigrate up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Let's face it. There is no country in the world that want's US immigrants. And about 6 that want US tourists. And 330 that want US money.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

its going on 5:30am and Im wide awake. I hate this shit.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:47 pm Let's face it. There is no country in the world that want's US immigrants. And about 6 that want US tourists. And 330 that want US money.
Yep. That. :lol: