Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

why do you want to buy a plot and headstone?
Our family is buried there and my wife always said she wants to be there beside them. So thats why on that. Im fine with it.
I want to be cremated and then have my ashes shot out of a canon during a Cleveland Indians game.
Interesting but only if 'Wild Thing' is pitching and that wont happen.

Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm in the do whatever the hell you want with my remains category. I'll be dead. If my wife wants to put my severed head on a spike on the front lawn for the birds to feed on, I'm fine with that. I'm not sure how the neighbors or the HOA might feel about it though. I assume we could claim that it's part of our religion.

I've never visited anyone's burial site of my own free will and I can't imagine ever doing so.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I rarely visit graves myself, however I do plan on dancing on a few someday.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I assume we could claim that it's part of our religion.
You would have no say in the matter at that point :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:21 pm Are the Bad News Bears an AA team?
Alas, no. But AA is the Akron RubberDucks.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'd be just fine with my corpse hauled to a barren mountaintop for the carrion birds to buffet from and my bones can eventually litter the desolate landscape, but that is unfortunately illegal in this country
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Look in to composting yourself.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, that's one badass way to die.
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:11 pm Christ, that's one badass way to die.
Not in comparison with his crucifixion…
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't know. Lounging around on an ergonomic cross doesn't sound that bad.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:49 pm i'd be just fine with my corpse hauled to a barren mountaintop for the carrion birds to buffet from and my bones can eventually litter the desolate landscape, but that is unfortunately illegal in this country
What are they going to do, put you in jail?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 pm I don't know. Lounging around on an ergonomic cross doesn't sound that bad.
The Russian Orthodox are really ahead of the pack.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:04 pm Look in to composting yourself.
I don't know about a new way to die but once I'm dead, have at it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 pm I don't know. Lounging around on an ergonomic cross doesn't sound that bad.
Unless you're one of those sadomasochistic Hellraiser demonfolk in the most recent episode of Rick and Morty, I suspect being nailed to a hefty wooden beam and left to hang there until your eventual death from exhaustion and asphyxiation makes lounging around more than a little challenging (well, at least if you're not singing and whistling "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life").
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Didn't he have a travel pillow though? I mean, his dad obviously works at SkyMall.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not sure if if this really belongs in R&P... Feel free to move it if you must.

Had an interesting encounter a few weeks ago while waiting for the bus 4AM in the morning (it wasn't due for another 20 minutes).

Some dude walked over, with a bag that's obviously not his (it's a woman's large purse, not too obvious, but he's only like 5 ft from me) and starting rifling through it, tossed all the stuff that's useless on the ground. I have the mind to photograph him but it won't be showing his face and I know my phone doesn't take photos silently, so I didn't actually do it. Maybe should have done video instead, no sound or LED to betray the presence, in hindsight. He was trying to be cool and asked me where's the nearest police station. He then left before the bus actually arrived.

Either he smashed a window and nabbed it from a car or he found the aftermath of one such smash and grab.

This wasn't the first time I witnessed such. Usually some youth, relatively young dudes (usually white, actually) was just inspecting the contents of a backpack on a Muni light rail, back in 2019 (when I was taking light rail to my old job) when they jumped on at one stop, and basically started tossing items useless to them out the main door onto the platform (these are street platforms), random bits of clothing and such. They got off a few stops later.

Sure there are "gangs" looking for out-of-state plates and luggage left in the open for smash and grabs, but the problem had always existed, and all the blab about a "crime wave" in San Francisco is really nonsense. It's always been there. COVID may have made it more visible.

Some are even just crimes of opportunity. Last night, I, at my current job, got a broadcast... One of the drivers noticed that a homeless guy had smashed a window and broken into the interior of our breakroom at a certain facility in San Francisco. He pinged the channel, and someone replied "on our way". We don't have security at that location (we do at some other locations) so not sure what the standard protocol was, but I'd imagine police will be called and some sort of maintenance team would be dispatched... even though it's almost 3AM.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

"Culture is going to hell" can both be something you casually repeat as you get older and be factually accurate, right? E.g. Toktok. Not that it's only young people... look how much shittier Facebook got when old folk took over. Can you imagine what Tiktok will look like if that ever happens? I think Dante wrote about this.

I'm so sick of this micro-content being rammed down my throat. Tiktok's easy enough to avoid (mainly because I toss my tacos every time I accidentally encounter it), but now Youtube and Facebook are pushing their version of the format (which, so far, is mainly Tiktok reposts). Yes, I realize there are probably four people out there who are doing amazing things with the format that I'd appreciate. This does not redeem it.

OO is the last bastion of the "good" internet.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate all things tiktok. Its a few seconds of stupidity set to awful noise young people call music.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:39 am I hate all things tiktok. Its a few seconds of stupidity set to awful noise young people call music.
I have never heard a tiktok video. I rarely have sound on, and almost never when browsing.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like the ones by Sarah Cooper, but haven't watched any others. Her latest:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:39 am I hate all things tiktok. Its a few seconds of stupidity set to awful noise young people call music.
If this doesn't bring you joy, seek medical attention.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This article on the soundtrack bandit makes things even more touching. :wub:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watched the whole thing lol. His poor mum.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I needed that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 pm
I have never heard a tiktok video. I rarely have sound on, and almost never when browsing.
In my browser they don't have a volume control. They're either silent or full blast.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you were to visit every county (or equivalent) in the US at the rate of 1/day, it would take you almost nine years. Texas alone would take 8.5 months. Delaware would take you three days.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you find that on TikTok?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I did not. Make sure you keep an eye out for my new channel, however.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Apparently there has been flooding in China again and multiple dams have failed.

The flood hit some sort of metal refinery plant -- hope everyone was able to get out.

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Picked up some OUI Coconut Yogurt at Walmart. Not seen it before but was in a thick glass jar like the old days and made with coconut creme and cane sugar. Wow it was delicious. Really really good. I kept the jar. Might use it as a candle holder. In the 70s woulda just thrown it away.

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:49 pmi'd be just fine with my corpse hauled to a barren mountaintop for the carrion birds to buffet from and my bones can eventually litter the desolate landscape, but that is unfortunately illegal in this country
I'd be okay with that.

I also asked my wife if she'd like to have my remains compressed down into a tiny gemstone. I suggested that over time a person could accumulate quite a lot of people and wear them all. She didn't seem into it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've asked for my remains to be mixed into a batch of Oui by Yoplait French style yogurt.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm Picked up some OUI Coconut Yogurt at Walmart. Not seen it before but was in a thick glass jar like the old days and made with coconut creme and cane sugar. Wow it was delicious. Really really good. I kept the jar. Might use it as a candle holder. In the 70s woulda just thrown it away.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am From some of the stuff you folks eat Id think you were pregnant.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Enlarge Image
Where’d you get the coconuts?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

From Coco.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

United States Mint Announces 2021 American Innovation® $1 Coin Program Designs
WASHINGTON – The United States Mint (Mint) today officially announced the designs for the 2021 American Innovation® $1 Coin Program. This multi-year series that started in 2018 honors innovation and innovators by issuing $1 coins for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the five U.S. territories.

“The New Hampshire series of the 2021 American Innovation Coin is a fitting tribute to both Ralph Baer, the Father of Video Games, and the pioneering, innovative spirit that each Granite Stater carries with them,” said Governor Chris Sununu. “Modern technology as we know it – stretching far beyond just video games – exists thanks to the advancements first imagined and made by Ralph Baer.”
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I really hate when I receive a voicemail/text/email from someone with a request to call them back, but they don't even give me a hint as to why. Maybe this bothers introverted and anxious people more than others (though not by much I'm sure), but I like to prepare before calling someone. Especially in a work environment. You're robbing me of the ability to help you best/most efficiently.

I know it can be a control move, but it doesn't strike me as this with most people. I don't know if they're just oblivious, lazy, or what. The only strategic use I can think of is that it doesn't allow me to judge how important their request is and potentially deprioritize it. But if I'm the kind of person who doesn't give a crap, I doubt that tactic's going to help.

It seems more common with age. Perhaps thinking back to a time when phone/voicemail brevity was important. (It's still appreciated, but it's not costing most people money having to listen to a 01:01 recording versus a 0:59 one anymore.)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I very rarely have to leave a msg but I use it so infrequently and Im older and used to having only 10 or 15 seconds or so before it beeps on me Im ingrained to leave a short fast msg or risk being cut off mid msg or having to leave multiple ones of 10 sec each. So I do it out of fear.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:13 pm I really hate when I receive a voicemail/text/email from someone with a request to call them back, but they don't even give me a hint as to why. Maybe this bothers introverted and anxious people more than others (though not by much I'm sure), but I like to prepare before calling someone. Especially in a work environment. You're robbing me of the ability to help you best/most efficiently.

I know it can be a control move, but it doesn't strike me as this with most people. I don't know if they're just oblivious, lazy, or what. The only strategic use I can think of is that it doesn't allow me to judge how important their request is and potentially deprioritize it. But if I'm the kind of person who doesn't give a crap, I doubt that tactic's going to help.

It seems more common with age. Perhaps thinking back to a time when phone/voicemail brevity was important. (It's still appreciated, but it's not costing most people money having to listen to a 01:01 recording versus a 0:59 one anymore.)
Ugh. +1

I get it ALL THE TIME at work. People ping me in Teams with "hi". Or want to know if I can talk. Or, the best, invite me cold to an already ongoing call. I'm with you. I'd like a heads up so that I can possibly prepare before responding/engaging.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.