Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jordan101

Re: Running

Post by jordan101 »

Deleted for spam. -Zaxxon
Last edited by Zaxxon on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 am - Short term goal #1 (3 weeks) is to get that minutes/mile down under 13:00.
- Mid-term goal #2 (6 weeks) is to increase my ratio so I'm running at least 3/4 of the route.
- Longer term #3 (6 months) goal is to run a full 2 mile route at at least a 10:00 min/mi pace. Hopefully that's not too unrealistic.
Today marks 6 weeks, and I've hit both of my first two goals. Ran the entire 1.9 mile loop this morning (although some of the uphill parts were probably no faster than a walk :lol: ) and did it in with an average minute/mile of 12:01. Two of my runs last week got it down go 11:52, which was fun. Getting to under 10:00 in another few months looks...daunting.

I've settled into a 2 days on/1 day off cycle, which seems to be working pretty well. I had been trying to do the same days off each week (i.e. Tues/Fri), but going three days in a row proved to be too tough. The third day run was always horrible.

I went to an actual running store last week and had them do a stride test and get some actual decent shoes. I'm somewhat amazed at the difference they make from the trail walking shoes I had been using.

My brother sent me a screenshot of his running app yesterday, showing that he just crossed the 700 total mile mark. Gives me some extra motivation...since I just passed 50. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This past weekend I had my first half-marathon since my achilles injury a bit over 2 years earlier. I took it slow and finished in 2:07, about 10-15 min behind my 'normal' race pace for that distance. But the achilles didn't flare up! It hurt a bit for the 24 hours after the race, but I never hit 'limp' mode, and it resolved completely in about 48 hours.

I think this may just be my new normal, but I'm stoked that I was able to do a half without setting myself back. That had been my overarching fear for the past year or so, as I repeatedly failed to make things return to 'old normal.'

The race was an interesting experience, with COVID still being a thing. It's a small race, maybe 100 runners total across 3 distances (half, full, ultra). They started the race in waves of 1 runner apiece, 5 seconds apart. Definitely have not had that experience before!

Edit - And in my excitement over my race, I totally forgot to congratulate you, sp. That's awesome progress!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:47 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 am - Short term goal #1 (3 weeks) is to get that minutes/mile down under 13:00.
- Mid-term goal #2 (6 weeks) is to increase my ratio so I'm running at least 3/4 of the route.
- Longer term #3 (6 months) goal is to run a full 2 mile route at at least a 10:00 min/mi pace. Hopefully that's not too unrealistic.
Today marks 6 weeks, and I've hit both of my first two goals. Ran the entire 1.9 mile loop this morning (although some of the uphill parts were probably no faster than a walk :lol: ) and did it in with an average minute/mile of 12:01. Two of my runs last week got it down go 11:52, which was fun. Getting to under 10:00 in another few months looks...daunting.

I've settled into a 2 days on/1 day off cycle, which seems to be working pretty well. I had been trying to do the same days off each week (i.e. Tues/Fri), but going three days in a row proved to be too tough. The third day run was always horrible.

I went to an actual running store last week and had them do a stride test and get some actual decent shoes. I'm somewhat amazed at the difference they make from the trail walking shoes I had been using.

My brother sent me a screenshot of his running app yesterday, showing that he just crossed the 700 total mile mark. Gives me some extra motivation...since I just passed 50. :oops:
That is great! Always nice to hit your goals.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about your brother. Just run. Get out there and go. I also wouldn't worry about your pace, at least not yet. Build up your distance and then when your body is used to it you can start trying to increase your pace (though honestly, your pace will improve just from running consistently). You also might look up heart rate pace running. My wife and I do that and I went from not running at all to running faster and farther than I did 20-30 years ago (and at a heavier weight, too). My knees also hurt less. Anyway, just a suggestion that worked really well for me.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:05 pm This past weekend I had my first half-marathon since my achilles injury a bit over 2 years earlier. I took it slow and finished in 2:07, about 10-15 min behind my 'normal' race pace for that distance. But the achilles didn't flare up! It hurt a bit for the 24 hours after the race, but I never hit 'limp' mode, and it resolved completely in about 48 hours.

I think this may just be my new normal, but I'm stoked that I was able to do a half without setting myself back. That had been my overarching fear for the past year or so, as I repeatedly failed to make things return to 'old normal.'

The race was an interesting experience, with COVID still being a thing. It's a small race, maybe 100 runners total across 3 distances (half, full, ultra). They started the race in waves of 1 runner apiece, 5 seconds apart. Definitely have not had that experience before!

Edit - And in my excitement over my race, I totally forgot to congratulate you, sp. That's awesome progress!
Congratulations! That's still a very respectable sub 10 pace. It's great that you were able to complete it without lasting issues. I would bet the next one will be faster and you'll be less sore for less time.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:45 pm Congratulations! That's still a very respectable sub 10 pace. It's great that you were able to complete it without lasting issues. I would bet the next one will be faster and you'll be less sore for less time.
Thanks. I think half the battle was getting back to completing one and not having a physical meltdown. Now I'll be less afraid to push things again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started my 5K training over. I've just been so sporadic in my running that I want to get back to my ability to do a 5K three times a week which is where I used to be. I've been steadily doing minimum 2 mile walk/jogs for months now, but it's more minimum level maintenance than any kind of cardio improvement.

There's an AWESOME audio-led 5K trainer on RunKeeper that I really enjoyed last year, so I'm doing that one again. The coach is not only good at motivating you through the run without being annoying, but she also goes into posture, breathing, and mental attitude - something no other training plans I've done have ever bothered with. I found it immensely helpful.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

After doing the Great Run Across Tennessee (GRAT) virtual race last summer, my buddy and I decided to tackle a full year virtual race, and we're doing the Run The Edge: 2021 race this year: Run 2,021 miles in 2021. Simple! Right.

My highest yearly total so far was last year when I got 1,825 miles in, so jumping up another 200 miles seems . . . daunting. In order to try to account a little fore wear and tear, I'm backing off the pace and trying to mix in some long, slow runs to keep the mileage up. So far, so good.

I'm at 628 miles so far with 263 days to go. I think that puts me at a daily average from here on out at about 5.3 miles.

Trying hard to build a buffer in case of injury and to work in a rest day every now and then. I'll feel better when I get that required daily average down below 5.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm After doing the Great Run Across Tennessee (GRAT) virtual race last summer, my buddy and I decided to tackle a full year virtual race, and we're doing the Run The Edge: 2021 race this year: Run 2,021 miles in 2021. Simple! Right.

My highest yearly total so far was last year when I got 1,825 miles in, so jumping up another 200 miles seems . . . daunting. In order to try to account a little fore wear and tear, I'm backing off the pace and trying to mix in some long, slow runs to keep the mileage up. So far, so good.

I'm at 628 miles so far with 263 days to go. I think that puts me at a daily average from here on out at about 5.3 miles.

Trying hard to build a buffer in case of injury and to work in a rest day every now and then. I'll feel better when I get that required daily average down below 5.
Impressive. That's a lot of miles. Do walking/hiking/biking miles count our just running? My wife does a 1000 mile challenge every year (and most years 2000). I am doing the 1000 with her this year. But it counts walking and biking (at a 3-1 ratio) so I should be good. I plan on doing the 1000 running alone though since I did 5000 biking last year.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm below pace for my 1000 mile annual running goal. Jan/Feb were weak efforts, and then I got back on track in March. Then my treadmill went out again, and my motivation has been lacking too. Hope to get back in gear soon. Also looking for a couple (or a few) marathons for the summer/fall. That might help me get out the door more.

Can't even fathom a 2021 mi goal! Awesome! Good luck Kurth.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm After doing the Great Run Across Tennessee (GRAT) virtual race last summer, my buddy and I decided to tackle a full year virtual race, and we're doing the Run The Edge: 2021 race this year: Run 2,021 miles in 2021. Simple! Right.

Impressive. That's a lot of miles. Do walking/hiking/biking miles count our just running? My wife does a 1000 mile challenge every year (and most years 2000). I am doing the 1000 with her this year. But it counts walking and biking (at a 3-1 ratio) so I should be good. I plan on doing the 1000 running alone though since I did 5000 biking last year.
The race counts walking and running (and I’m logging both) but my goal is to hit the 2,021 number with running miles alone. At my current pace, I think I’ll be at 3K plus combined walking/running miles by the 12/31 deadline

If I make it that far! 🤞😀
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's a lot! I'm at 528 so far, including walks, runs, and hikes. So on pace for 1800ish. 3K is very impressive.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 am The race counts walking and running (and I’m logging both) but my goal is to hit the 2,021 number with running miles alone. At my current pace, I think I’ll be at 3K plus combined walking/running miles by the 12/31 deadline

If I make it that far! 🤞😀
My wife and I had to walk about 6 miles on New Years Eve last year so she could complete her 2000 mile challenge. We walked to a bar and back. Hopefully, you get yours in a little less under the wire.

I'm at 320 running and almost 700 biking (the biking is behind last year but I'm running more now). Starting to do longer runs since my wife likes doing half marathons (and the weather is much nicer). We have one coming up this Saturday which will be my first half. :horse:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 amWe have one coming up this Saturday which will be my first half. :horse:
I think (hope?) you'll love it. The half is my favorite race distance. Well, that and the 5k for entirely different reasons.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still overwhelmingly a walker, but am now doing 7 miles every walk instead of 4 mile walks during the week and 7 on weekends. Yesterday I managed to run 2.6 contiguous miles in the 2nd half of the 7 miles which is my longest distance running all year. I have really only been running at a one activity a week pace, trying to avoid injury. I may try another run this week, depending on how I feel, motivation, etc.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since my wife has been working 2 jobs, she is sleeping during my morning workout times, and I don't want to disturb her by post-run showers so I just walk. And walk, and walk. This week I walked 12 miles a day 4 days in a row.

Walking doesn't seem to do much for weight loss or reducing blood sugar, but I'm ahead of my goal in books read for this year.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Two words. Sponge bath.

And remember, curved sponges are better for soaping. Straight sponges are better for rinsing.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Finished my first half marathon on Saturday. Only had two goals. One, to finish without walking any of it. Two, to have fun. Both goals accomplished. Total time was 2:29 and an 11'21" pace. Ran with my wife and a friend of hers. The entire time my wife said she just wants to have fun and she doesn't care about time. Then, we turn the corner a block from the finish and she starts sprinting. So of course I have to sprint that as well.

It was in a small town in Iowa (Washington) and there were a lot of people out cheering everyone on. Lots of water stations and a beer at the halfway point (when even Michelob Ultra tastes good). They also had lifesavers, starburst, gatorade, and of course, water. Plenty of bathrooms at the start and a couple along the course, too. Overall, it seemed very well run and I'd totally do it again.

For the next one I'd like to improve my time a little. We ran 10 miles the week before at 11:07 so I'd like to get closer to that.

Anyway, it was a fun day and I am looking forward to the next one.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Mrs and I went out jogging together last night. First time we ever did that. I enjoyed it.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice job, both of you!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:29 pm The Mrs and I went out jogging together last night. First time we ever did that. I enjoyed it.
That's awesome. Running with my wife has been the best thing we've ever done. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
raydude

Post by raydude »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm I started my 5K training over. I've just been so sporadic in my running that I want to get back to my ability to do a 5K three times a week which is where I used to be. I've been steadily doing minimum 2 mile walk/jogs for months now, but it's more minimum level maintenance than any kind of cardio improvement.

There's an AWESOME audio-led 5K trainer on RunKeeper that I really enjoyed last year, so I'm doing that one again. The coach is not only good at motivating you through the run without being annoying, but she also goes into posture, breathing, and mental attitude - something no other training plans I've done have ever bothered with. I found it immensely helpful.
Same for me. After taking a break for the winter I kept putting off running until this week when I looked at the weight scale and said "yeah, I better start running again." Started off with a mile yesterday and did two miles today with a minute of walking between the miles. Gonna gradually bring it up to 3 miles of continuous running.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

raydude wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am
YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm I started my 5K training over. I've just been so sporadic in my running that I want to get back to my ability to do a 5K three times a week which is where I used to be. I've been steadily doing minimum 2 mile walk/jogs for months now, but it's more minimum level maintenance than any kind of cardio improvement.

Same for me. After taking a break for the winter I kept putting off running until this week when I looked at the weight scale and said "yeah, I better start running again." Started off with a mile yesterday and did two miles today with a minute of walking between the miles. Gonna gradually bring it up to 3 miles of continuous running.
Running definitely helps with the weight. I lost 20 pounds last fall after I started running (and drinking less beer and intermittent fasting). Didn't lose anything over winter but I also didn't stick to my diet. My biggest issue with long runs is probably posture. I tend to run like a t-rex.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The good news is that in my 2 mile runs, I've come in under 12:00/mile every day for the past two weeks straight (best is 11:50).

The bad news is that I struggle mightily with any distance over two miles. Even after 8 weeks of running 5x/week, both my legs and my lungs just completely give out after two miles. I think my best bet will be to approach longer distances just like I did starting to run. Start by simply walking an additional half mile, with the intent of getting my body used to a longer distance. Can gradually start running that extra distance as well. We'll see how that goes.

I'm realizing that I do need to get some actual running shorts though. Running in sweatpants and boxers is becoming...less than ideal. Now to try and find some that aren't those ridiculous shorty shorts. No one needs to see that on me. :lol:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am No one needs to see that on me. :lol:
hepcat does.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm realizing that I do need to get some actual running shorts though. Running in sweatpants and boxers is becoming...less than ideal. Now to try and find some that aren't those ridiculous shorty shorts. No one needs to see that on me.
You can find decent ones for cheap everywhere these days. I've got a couple of pairs from Walmart and a couple from Old Navy that I run in every week. They're all long (just above knee length).

And yes, I HAVE to have tighty-whities or boxer-briefs on when running. Else all my bits and bobs just go flying everywhere. :D
JCC

Post by JCC »

For my daily walks (and occasional runs) I have running shorts that have a lining akin to a bathing suit - so no boxers are worn underneath. They are awesome.

I walk 7 miles 6-7 days a week in the mornings but generally only run once a week. When I ran this week. I ran 3.38 miles straight which is my longest continuous running distance since last Summer. Best of all I then ran another .85 miles (after finishing walking the previous mile) before finally starting to feel pressure on my hips. Hip pain (which I didn't feel) was what got me to stop last year so really trying to take it slow. (literally - my mile times are slow (10:30-11:30). I have found my longer warm up (I walk at least a mile before trying to run) has helped me prevent running injuries which plagued me last fall and early in the year.

I am amazed at half marathon and marathon runners! If I walk 8 miles (ie. 1 more than normal) I almost want to call in sick to work! LOL
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am The good news is that in my 2 mile runs, I've come in under 12:00/mile every day for the past two weeks straight (best is 11:50).

The bad news is that I struggle mightily with any distance over two miles. Even after 8 weeks of running 5x/week, both my legs and my lungs just completely give out after two miles. I think my best bet will be to approach longer distances just like I did starting to run. Start by simply walking an additional half mile, with the intent of getting my body used to a longer distance. Can gradually start running that extra distance as well. We'll see how that goes.
If you're trying to increase your distance and struggling, try doing a longer distance but break it up with walk/run intervals. Echoing some of the posts above, I started running with my wife (and sometimes my daughter) a while back. At first she had a hard time with the endurance with anything over 1.5 miles. So we started doing all our runs at a 2:1 run/walk interval, and she would crank out 4+ miles no sweat. Now, she's banging out 5Ks running the whole thing with no problem.

Even if you're an experienced runner, I strongly recommend interval work. It does wonders for recovery and endurance, and it's also nice just to change things up some.
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am I'm realizing that I do need to get some actual running shorts though. Running in sweatpants and boxers is becoming...less than ideal. Now to try and find some that aren't those ridiculous shorty shorts. No one needs to see that on me. :lol:
Four or five years back, I made the switch from tighty whities and shorts to nice all-in-one running shorts. I've never looked back! So much more comfortable. They generally make them with a mesh liner or a tight-like, base layer liner. I love the 5" length with the base layer built in. These are the best shorts I've owned: Nike Flex Stride 5" 2-In-1 Running Shorts.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Long ago I tried running shorts with the liner. It chafed terribly. Now I wear your standard under armour boxer briefs and they work well. That said, I just bought a nice pair of New Balance running shorts with a liner that I'm going to try soon (mostly because they had a phone and key pocket). They are similar to the nike's Kurth linked. Hopefully it goes well. Whenever you get something new make sure to try it on a short run first because nothing is worse than rubbing yourself raw and having another 5 miles to go.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Body Glide is the thing that saves me. Highly recommended.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yes, the Glide is essential for walking/running (at least for me). Also good to have Desitin for any chafing - works a treat.
Black Lives Matter

raydude

Post by raydude »

I bought myself the Champion Men's Cold Weather Running Pants from Amazon last year, thinking it would help me keep running through the winter months. Then I chickened out in December when the weather dropped below 40 deg. This morning the weather was 46degF and I almost chickened out from running today. Then my inner voice said, "Why did you buy those cold weather running pants and running jacket if you're not gonna run in cold weather?"

So, suitably shamed, I went out to run. I eked out a 3.5 mile run in 45 mins, with the last mile going between running/walking. Oh, and I also wore the new running belt I bought to carry my iphone 12 pro max. My previous iphone6 fit comfortably in my running shorts and it was fine, but the max was just too bulky and heavy. I had tried armbands a few years ago but it was just too annoying to put on so I went the belt route and I felt much more comfortable with it.

Finally, I've also started running with bluetooth in-ear headphones again so I can listen to music; makes it much easier to run when I have a running playlist tuned to my pace. And hearing Shakira sing when I started to slow down at the two-mile mark helped me pick up the pace again :).
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

raydude wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:06 pm I bought myself the Champion Men's Cold Weather Running Pants from Amazon last year, thinking it would help me keep running through the winter months. Then I chickened out in December when the weather dropped below 40 deg. This morning the weather was 46degF and I almost chickened out from running today. Then my inner voice said, "Why did you buy those cold weather running pants and running jacket if you're not gonna run in cold weather?"

So, suitably shamed, I went out to run. I eked out a 3.5 mile run in 45 mins, with the last mile going between running/walking. Oh, and I also wore the new running belt I bought to carry my iphone 12 pro max. My previous iphone6 fit comfortably in my running shorts and it was fine, but the max was just too bulky and heavy. I had tried armbands a few years ago but it was just too annoying to put on so I went the belt route and I felt much more comfortable with it.

Finally, I've also started running with bluetooth in-ear headphones again so I can listen to music; makes it much easier to run when I have a running playlist tuned to my pace. And hearing Shakira sing when I started to slow down at the two-mile mark helped me pick up the pace again :).
Glad you got out there. I love running when it's below 50. I am a heavy sweater and the colder it is the less likely that I'll sweat down to my shoes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm Glad you got out there. I love running when it's below 50. I am a heavy sweater and the colder it is the less likely that I'll sweat down to my shoes.
About a dozen years ago I did a half-marathon in Phoenix. I trained in single-degree weather in Chicago, and was one of only a few people lined up on race day with just a t-shirt and shorts. Everyone else was heavily bundled up in the 38-degree temps and then had to shed all these clothes (an unbelievable amount -- I guess they just get donated to charity) as they warmed up.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

It was 37 degrees here this morning and I still wore shorts! LOL. It has to be nearer freezing for me to wear running pants. (I just am not all that bothered by cold on my legs.) I was wearing a cap and a jacket over my T-shirt.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Today is two months since I started, which I marked with both my longest (2.5 mile) and fastest (11:32/mile) run.

I’ve found my best running time is around 8:30am and before any breakfast. It’s enough time for my body to actually wake up (any earlier and I end up just shambling like a zombie) and I have enough energy without hunger pangs kicking in. Unfortunately, that time doesn’t jive very well with my work day, so I only get to do it on weekends. My Saturday and Sunday runs are SO much better than my weekday afternoon runs. :lol:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just started Week 3 of my 5K training reset (see earlier post - it's the RunKeeper Pro audio-led one) and I'm already impressed how much I've improved. It's a sneaky little program in that even at Week 3 (of 6) you're still only running 1-minute intervals, which seems ridiculous. However, instead of packing on time early in the program like some other "Couch to 5K" style programs I've done, this one just adds more intervals and/or shortens the recovery walks.

It's kind of genius because the super short runs really allow you to focus on breathing and form, which is something a lot of other plans ignore altogether. I've seen tremendous improvements in my own breathing and form simply from having someone remind me every lesson.

On the surface it seems impossible that I'll be running 3 miles straight in 3 more weeks, but I've done this program before from a cold start and it works. What you don't realize when you finish your 15 little baby jogs is that you actually ran a total of a mile and a half, at probably your best pace, and with proper form and controlled breathing. So when they do start stretching out the jog intervals, you're more than prepared.

The last time I finished this program (about a year ago), I unfortunately rested on my laurels. While I got up to 4 miles for a brief stint, I wound up lapsing back into just doing occasional shorter runs and losing most of what I had built up to. This time I'm really hoping to parlay this training into a 10K, something I've yet to achieve.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:39 am Today is two months since I started, which I marked with both my longest (2.5 mile) and fastest (11:32/mile) run.

I’ve found my best running time is around 8:30am and before any breakfast. It’s enough time for my body to actually wake up (any earlier and I end up just shambling like a zombie) and I have enough energy without hunger pangs kicking in. Unfortunately, that time doesn’t jive very well with my work day, so I only get to do it on weekends. My Saturday and Sunday runs are SO much better than my weekday afternoon runs. :lol:
Congratulations on the personal best. It always feels good to set a PR. I totally get how figuring out your best time of day helps with motivation and just enjoying the run. I do best in the morning but hate getting up.

YellowKing wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:32 pm The last time I finished this program (about a year ago), I unfortunately rested on my laurels. While I got up to 4 miles for a brief stint, I wound up lapsing back into just doing occasional shorter runs and losing most of what I had built up to. This time I'm really hoping to parlay this training into a 10K, something I've yet to achieve.
If you can get to 3 you can get to 6 (.2). It's really just a matter of continuing the work you are already doing. There are plenty of apps for 6k as well.

Wife and I did a 5 mile run today. When she said 4-5 I instantly said 5. When we went out to do it and it was 42 and raining I said 4 might be okay. When we turned around at 3 and it wasn't raining I thought 6 would be good. When she stopped at 5 I was happy. Anyway, I think a lot of people go from I can run all day to when the fuck are we done? even when they run a shorter run than they have been. I had those feelings when we would run 2-4 miles and I have them now when we run 2-12. One thing that doesn't change is that I feel good after we are done and I'm glad I just got out and ran.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Had a run yesterday in the first truly warm weather this year. 85 degrees and 90% humidity. I did not miss that.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I broke down and bought some new shoes today because my old Hoka Gaviota 2s were hitting the 400 mile mark and I could feel it. The last few runs I had been getting terrible pain in my lower legs, and I was suspecting they were end of life (the shoes, not my legs).

Not wanting to make a drastic change in the middle of training, I bought some Gaviota 3s and man what a difference! Went for my longest run in months today and had absolutely no leg pain. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to break in the toe box on these like I had to on the 2s. Those pinched a bit early on, but the 3s were super comfortable right out of the box.

I pronate pretty bad so I always have to have a really stable shoe and these are perfect for that. Some people don't like the mounds of cushion because it does make them a bit heavier, but I'm a slow runner so it doesn't bother me at all. Unfortunately Hoka has gone up on their pricing AND stopped dealer discounts, though, so I had to suffer a bit of sticker shock. I'm casual enough though that I should easily get a year or more out of these.