Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Silly pics...what'cha got??....maybe NSFW

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If I had any room I'd be tempted to get both.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Snopes says this is authentic.

Enlarge Image
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Why would we regress to Jetsons clothing and Commodore-thick keyboards between 1997 and 2021? I presume this was partially in jest.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's true! We really do dress like the Jetsons!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Stop dredging up the past.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm Why would we regress to Jetsons clothing and Commodore-thick keyboards between 1997 and 2021? I presume this was partially in jest.
You get that it was published in 1997, right? They were off on fashion and flying cars, but they nailed remote learning 24 years ago.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, I just don't consider 1997 a time so disconnected from the present. I.e. in 1997 we had a relatively reasonable handle on what the near future might hold, unlike in previous decades. I don't think anyone would earnestly predict today that we'll finally have flying cards by 2045, either. With that and the Jetsons dress, I get the feeling the comic was a tongue-in-cheek comment on something considering the surveillance imagery, rather than an outright prediction. But I'm not a big Archie reader so it's just a guess lol.

I don't mean to say it's not a remarkable and amusing coincidence. It's a remarkable and amusing coincidence. 8-) There's also E. M. Forster in 1909.

stessier

Post by stessier »

There was a not insignificant portion of the 1997 population preparing for the year 2000 to be the end times, so I think saying we had a good grasp of the future isn't exactly true. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol... I'm more surprised the effects couldn't be more accurately predicted. But I think the irrational fear was stoked by the media. Programming bullshit and nearsightedness is definitely a real problem, such as when a former programmer decided the software my company relies on should timeout on 12/30/20 for some stupid reason and I had to pull a 24-hour shift to help test and roll out the fix.

Predictions of the future are always going to falter, but I think it's wise to underestimate. In 1997, I don't think any serious thinkers really expected we'd be living in the world of Blade Runner by now, anymore. But roll it back another 24 years to 1973 and it probably would have been a loony bin.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a comic..its all done in jest. The being right for home schooling on the correct year is coincidence but its neat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think y'all are missing the camera element and notification about being watched at all times. That's absolutely been an issue for all students - kids up through college. It's downright creepy what some districts (and universities) have asked students to do in order to prove they're not cheating. The thought that someone was thinking through that in 1997 is impressive.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't think it's unimpressive, though I do think it would have been a reasonable result of thinking it through. Webcams weren't mainstream for at least a few years after that, but a googling suggests they were in production by 1994.

This is above "Simpsons predicted Trump!"-tier, but it's not Nostradamus. Which... is bullshit also, so nevermind.

In 1999 I designed a product that would have us surgically implanting audio receivers in our ears. Mind you, it never entered production as our comtech class budgets were relatively limited.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am In 1999 I designed a product that would have us surgically implanting audio receivers in our ears. Mind you, it never entered production as our comtech class budgets were relatively limited.
That's something cyberpunk got wrong. In the 1990s it felt cool and futuristic to imagine that we would incorporate high technology into our very bodies, but it missed the obvious point that the implanted tech would become unfashionably obsolete in years if not months.

Wearable tech makes so much more sense than implants.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The trends that led to what we have today - privacy issues, moving services online, etc - were known and being discussed in 1997. It was a time when things like music, communication, and shopping were moving online. 1997 was Amazon's IPO. It was a coincidence that they picked 2021, although we were seeing remote learning on snow days here in 2019 and 2020, too, so it still would have worked had they picked a different year. While comics are written in jest, in order to be topical the writers have to be on top of peoples' interests, hopes, and concerns. It was a good call, but it was a rational conclusion, not a crystal ball prediction.

The Jetsons clothing and flying cars were likely artistic decisions intended to make it clear that we were looking at the future, not predictions in and of themselves.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And a quick search tells me that this was a complete story in a comic (Betty #46), not just a one-page feature in the paper. I'm actually curious as to what the rest of the story was like now.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 am Wearable tech makes so much more sense than implants.
Only till the age of nanotech. 2045, here we come. 8-)

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:13 am
Holman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:02 am Wearable tech makes so much more sense than implants.
Only till the age of nanotech. 2045, here we come. 8-)
That depends on the version of nanotech you have installed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am And a quick search tells me that this was a complete story in a comic (Betty #46), not just a one-page feature in the paper. I'm actually curious as to what the rest of the story was like now.
Obviously a comic from 1997 would be impossible to get your hands on today... Stop dwelling on ancient history.

I'd almost consider hitting up the comic shops around here, but odds seem rather low thought very likely better here than in Blackhawk-land.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:32 am I think y'all are missing the camera element and notification about being watched at all times. That's absolutely been an issue for all students - kids up through college. It's downright creepy what some districts (and universities) have asked students to do in order to prove they're not cheating. The thought that someone was thinking through that in 1997 is impressive.

Enlarge Image
Or they anticipated what teaching to a wall of names would be like and demanded the kids be on screen to avoid that. :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:29 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am And a quick search tells me that this was a complete story in a comic (Betty #46), not just a one-page feature in the paper. I'm actually curious as to what the rest of the story was like now.
Obviously a comic from 1997 would be impossible to get your hands on today... Stop dwelling on ancient history.

I'd almost consider hitting up the comic shops around here, but odds seem rather low thought very likely better here than in Blackhawk-land.
You tweaked my comic collector instincts for the challenge.

A quick check shows that it's worth about a buck in 'Fine' condition, so you would most likely only find it in the dollar boxes. That means digging through thousands of comics hoping to get lucky. Both of the best places I know to get unusual issues online (Mile High Comics and My Comic Shop) don't have it in stock. There's one copy on ebay for $15. I'm sure there are other shops out there that have it if I wanted to search long enough. There is a subscription service that provides access to it.

It would also be possible if one just wanted to see the context of that page to find any of about a hundred readable online versions.
Spoiler:
I found these panels hit close to home.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Betty should pick her friends a bit better
Ronnie knows what she's doing
What's hot is hot
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

But where's the comic that predicts me doing my job remotely in my underwear, having to explain to on-site staff that we're down to one toilet because someone filled the other one with about five pounds of paper again, and the office building's maintenance staff won't be there till Monday?

Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, I was going to say I'm not ready to see Jughead not wearing pants.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm But where's the comic that predicts me doing my job remotely in my underwear, having to explain to on-site staff that we're down to one toilet because someone filled the other one with about five pounds of paper again, and the office building's maintenance staff won't be there till Monday?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol, kudos... you both got a laugh out of me.

Not far from the truth... not far from the truth at all. :oops:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's ok, I have it on good authority from 1991 that things will be much better in October of this year.

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:27 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm
He is working on increasing his crafting skills in EQ.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:29 am

You tweaked my comic collector instincts for the challenge.

A quick check shows that it's worth about a buck in 'Fine' condition, so you would most likely only find it in the dollar boxes. That means digging through thousands of comics hoping to get lucky. Both of the best places I know to get unusual issues online (Mile High Comics and My Comic Shop) don't have it in stock. There's one copy on ebay for $15. I'm sure there are other shops out there that have it if I wanted to search long enough. There is a subscription service that provides access to it.

It would also be possible if one just wanted to see the context of that page to find any of about a hundred readable online versions.
Spoiler:
I found these panels hit close to home.

Judging by her smiling "classmates" - it's substitute teacher day, about to let out for the year or vacation, or something non-educational but fun is about to happen.

As I have certainly not seen a group of such happy looking, smiling kids in high school when they were actually being taught.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Story is in 1964 kids skip class to go see a Beatles concert. They didn't make it in but on the way there Ringo pulled up besides them and took their picture. No one believed them until Ringo published a book on his photos recently and there they were. They reenacted the photo .

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It is just me, or do high school kids from any year previous to 1970 always look like they're middle aged people pretending to be teenagers?
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For a sec I thought it was a pic from the movie The Outsiders.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:38 amIt is just me, or do high school kids from any year previous to 1970 always look like they're middle aged people pretending to be teenagers?
I always assumed it was all the smoking they were encouraged to do in order to stay healthy. That shit puts some hard miles on the skin.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that the fashion and grooming have all been beaten into us as "old" over the decades, it is hard to see past that to see the kids underneath. Partially because they were expected to model adults in appearance and behavior.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I graduated high school in 1967. They hadn't invented cameras yet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I went to school with girl #7, but she had pointy elbows.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#1 looks like she is her own grandmother.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:25 pm I graduated high school in 1967. They hadn't invented cameras yet.
You wanted to remember someone, you had to kill, stuff and mount them in your living room!
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

My Dad (college class of 1962) visited me and spent some time walking around the university campus where I was working.

At dinner he asked when it was that college students stopped "dressing well" (by which he meant dressing like adult professionals). I said, "probably about two weeks after you graduated."

He really was just right there on that schedule (plus he went to school in South Carolina, where jackets and ties lasted a little longer than in, say, the Bay area).