We Are ... Horrified

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: We Are ... Horrified

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:I don't see the issue with reinstating the wins, especially in regards to the student-athletes that played in that era. To have all of one's W/L record, not to mention any personal or team records set back then, wiped out is truly unfair. Paterno should have done more, but he wasn't the one who molested the kids, besides which, what did the wins have to do with it anyway? It always seemed an arbitrary punishment to me.
Any player (or coach) who cares about his win/loss record for a program turning a blind eye while kids were being raped in the locker room, fuck them. I mean they're already vacated. What are they possibly getting back by having the wins reinstated anyway?

Oh, you played/coached for a shameful system...but you have how many wins now? Oh, that changes everything!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

What I really don't understand are the Penn State apologists who still complain about the punishment to the football program and Paterno.
18-1™ & 2-0
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Trent Steel wrote:What I really don't understand are the Penn State apologists who still complain about the punishment to the football program and Paterno.
Maybe it's the perception that most of "it" is a form of payback for beating the crap out of so many people for so long and being such "golden boys" during most of that time.

I could only wish for a teacher like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... teens.html Now Sandusky, not so much.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

em2nought wrote:I could only wish for a teacher like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... teens.html
There is something I want to post in reply to that, but I don't have time to find it right now.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Paterno is again the winningest coach ever! Especially if you also count child-rapes he failed to prevent as wins.
Popehat, a blog.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trent Steel wrote:What I really don't understand are the Penn State apologists who still complain about the punishment to the football program and Paterno.
While I agree with this, I don't understand the purpose of vacating the wins in the first place. Did raping kids give them some kind of competitive advantage?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How quickly they forget. ESPN was on at the gym, and they actually said "Paterno never should have been penalized for the crimes Sandusky committed." Um, he wasn't. He was penalized for covering up the crime after it was brought to his attention. Can we at least get an asterisk: *Promotes child rape
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

silverjon wrote:
em2nought wrote:I could only wish for a teacher like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... teens.html
There is something I want to post in reply to that, but I don't have time to find it right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikd0ZYQoDko

I am relatively certain this is the video I wanted, but Firefox and Youtube appear to be embroiled in a disagreement on this computer and I haven't yet been able to figure out what's wrong.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:
While I agree with this, I don't understand the purpose of vacating the wins in the first place. Did raping kids give them some kind of competitive advantage?
I think so he isn't comprehensively lionized in the canon of college football and Penn State. The gesture is academic, but it also serves as a reminder for those who flip through the history pages.

Now, not so much.
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

It's this kind of crap...
ESPN Article wrote:Not surprisingly, much of the focus is on the restored wins, Paterno's legacy and what's next. Current and former Penn State players are tweeting #409, a tribute to Paterno's restored wins total. Many want the Paterno statue restored outside Beaver Stadium.
...that nauseates me.

Although, it doesn't surprise me because I'm sure the sentiment (among the Ped Staters) is more of an ideology that is blindly followed to maintain status in their respective circles.

Ick.
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I Am... Not Surprised.
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The NCAA really needs a kick in the balls for continuing to give this stuff tacit approval.

Penn State should still be banned from all NCAA events.
Baylor, the absolute second they made an appeal to being a private institution, banned.
Tennessee, banned
Minnesota, banned
Kansas, under investigation
Florida State, under investigation

If a university and/or local police won't investigate and remove these threats then university should be removed from the prestige whose chase is apparently is too much for them to handle.

I'm guessing there are a lot more. Do any of these people playing hide the rapists have any fear at all for who is responsible for the safety of their sons and daughters when they aren't around?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
Several former Penn State assistant coaches, including former Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano, were aware of incidents of child sexual abuse involving Jerry Sandusky, according to testimony released Tuesday in court documents unsealed in Philadelphia.

The documents, part of an insurance lawsuit stemming from allegations that Joe Paterno was aware of Sandusky’s abuse, raise additional questions about just how much former assistants knew about the program’s longtime defensive coordinator, who was convicted on 45 counts of child sexual abuse and sentenced to at least 30 years in prison in 2012.

The testimony comes from former assistant coach Mike McQueary, who said he witnessed Sandusky engaging in a sexual act with a minor in a Penn State shower in 2001, and raised the matter with former defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.

According to the court documents, Bradley, now the coordinator at UCLA, told McQueary that “another assistant coach had come to him in the early ’90s about a very similar situation” as had another individual “as far back as the early ‘80s about seeing (Sandusky) doing something with a boy.”
Penn State President Eric Barron wrote in a statement released Tuesday that the university’s “overriding concern has been, and remains, for the victims of Jerry Sandusky.”

“Although settlements have been reached, it is important to reiterate that the alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such,” the statement read. “Some individuals deny the claims, and others are unable to defend themselves.

“Speculation also serves to drive a wedge within the Penn State community.”

In May, NBC News reported that as many as six former Penn State coaches witnessed instances of “inappropriate behavior” between Sandusky and young boys as far back as the 1970s.

According to the same unsealed documents, Sandusky sexually assaulted a 14-year-old boy who attended a football camp held at Penn State in 1976. That individual, referred to as “John Doe 150,” testified that he told Joe Paterno of the incident, and that Paterno ignored the allegations.
It's almost as if people are the problem.

Post by Default »

I have no sympathy for PSU.

Nail them all to the wall.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

The horse is not dead if you were one of the boys raped, molested, and or taken advantage of. The problem will always be alive for them.
It is good to remember and make sure the situation does not happen again. We are coping one way and the victims of adult bad (for lack of another word) behavior are coping another way. There are always many views of history, the most important thing is for the facts to be presented.

Thank you for the update.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:USA Today

Penn State President Eric Barron wrote in a statement released Tuesday that the university’s “overriding concern has been, and remains, for the victims of Jerry Sandusky.”
What I imagine follows, "And we must remember that Penn State itself is a victim of Jerry Sandusky. Joe Paterno was a victim of Jerry Sandusky. Our venerable and most holy football program, a victim of Jerry Sandusky. So there is nothing improper about making our primary objective ensuring that the legacy of Penn State Football restored..."
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Image
When the horse keeps getting up to defend those complicit in rape...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Any word on if Sandusky, Ohio is going to change its name?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

A comment from someone responding to an article on this mess...
Internet Commenter wrote:When they put the statue of Paterno back up, I hope they choose a different pose... One where Paterno is looking the other way...
Fuck you Penn State. Burn in hell all of you that allowed this to go on for almost 40 years.
18-1™ & 2-0
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote:Any word on if Sandusky, Ohio is going to change its name?
Sandbaggy?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that still has to listen to extended family members blather on about the greatness of Penn State football as well as receive Penn State related gifts (T-shirts, towels, coffee mugs) I've had just about enough. They should have banned the football program for a hundred years as far as I'm concerned and the only thing people should think about for generations when Penn State football is mentioned is the abuse that program allowed to happen.
Trent Steel wrote: of Paterno back up, I hope they choose a different pose... One where Paterno is looking the other way...
I might need to use that the next time something is sent my way...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Trent Steel wrote:It's this kind of crap...
ESPN Article wrote:Not surprisingly, much of the focus is on the restored wins, Paterno's legacy and what's next. Current and former Penn State players are tweeting #409, a tribute to Paterno's restored wins total. Many want the Paterno statue restored outside Beaver Stadium.
...that nauseates me.

Although, it doesn't surprise me because I'm sure the sentiment (among the Ped Staters) is more of an ideology that is blindly followed to maintain status in their respective circles.

Ick.
WTF!

Not sure why anything now a days surprises me. But I just can't fathom supporting something so heinous as child molestation. And to me, advocating to reinstate the wins is supporting it.

I have no words to describe my disgust.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

KKBlue wrote:The horse is not dead if you were one of the boys raped, molested, and or taken advantage of. The problem will always be alive for them.
It is good to remember and make sure the situation does not happen again. We are coping one way and the victims of adult bad (for lack of another word) behavior are coping another way. There are always many views of history, the most important thing is for the facts to be presented.

Thank you for the update.
I kind of always figured that shagging was one of the primary purposes of men getting together on teams to begin with going way, way, way back to the Greeks.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fuck Penn State. They have bent over backwards to protect their legacy at the expense of the children and men they let down while trying to secretly dole out hush money. I've been involved in two discussions with Penn St. alumni about this subject and they seem to be borderline delusional about it. So this is my game plan now, in future interactions I'm upgrading the language 'Paterno probably knew about what was going on with Sandusky' to '...almost certainly knew for decades and almost certainly was a shit stain of a human being...'. I don't give a damn. Seriously fuck any alumnus who want to beat their chests about a football program that is tainted so darkly.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Not to defend PSU, the actions of its administrators, or the actions of the coaching staff, but it's probably worth noting here that this latest bombshell came from a deposition and shouldn't necessarily be taken as gospel. The rules for deposition testimony are different from the rules for courtroom testimony, and given that this was essentially, "Well, Person A told me that Person B told him this," the reliability of the testimony is not certain. Telephone game and purple monkey dishwasher and all that.

That said, fuck PSU and JoePa.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah - understood about it being a deposition. In my court of opinion, I always weigh that against the fact they paid that person hush money to never speak about it again. I know there are a lot of caveats there but I can't believe personally that for 40 years this guy was abusing children in *Joe's universe* and Joe somehow never became aware of it...yet somehow 5 or 6 coaches did? It is inconceivable to me.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think that this testimony definitely can factor into one's assessment of the situation - it certainly does make it more likely that JoePa knew about it for me (although I was already on that side of the discussion). I just wanted to clarify that this is not some smoking gun that closes the book on the discussion. It's another piece of evidence in what is, IMO, a pretty damning pile of evidence against PSU and JoePa.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Post by Default »

When Penn State is the defacto employer for roughly 4 counties, you can see how this was covered up for years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In Pennsylvania, Paterno has been lionized for decades as an inspirational hero. For the real fans, this whole saga has turned everything on its head. I'm indifferent to football, but I can see how hard it must be for people to absorb.

Imagine the effect on Alabama if it were somehow revealed that Bear Bryant had been a secret cannibal.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote:Paterno has been lionized
I see what you did there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote:
Holman wrote:Paterno has been lionized
I see what you did there.
Sorry. Pennsylvania is rubbing off on me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:Imagine the effect on Alabama if it were somehow revealed that Bear Bryant had been a secret cannibal.
Somehow this is easier to accept than what happened at Penn. Sure, Bear killed and ate people (including children) but at least he wasn't buggering them in the shower while in a position of authority over them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Somehow this is easier to accept than what happened at Penn.
Around here you would be roundly castigated for confusing Penn with Penn State, Mister. Pretensions are at stake!

Post by Default »

GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote:Imagine the effect on Alabama if it were somehow revealed that Bear Bryant had been a secret cannibal.
Somehow this is easier to accept than what happened at Penn. Sure, Bear killed and ate people (including children) but at least he wasn't buggering them in the shower while in a position of authority over them.
Some days, you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you.

Some days, the bear wants romance before dinner.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone make it out to Joe Paterno day this weekend at Penn State? No? Too soon?
Considering how quietly Penn State announced Saturday’s Paterno day, the university’s officials must have known it wasn’t a great idea. On Sept. 1, in a news release about this year’s football promotions, it listed Sept. 17 as the game when fans wear either blue or white, depending on their seating section, to “create a stripe effect” in the stadium. And, oh, by the way, there will be a ceremony celebrating Paterno’s first game, too. It’s the first time he will be publicly honored since he was fired.
Shameless.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lots of people in the stadium stood and turned their backs during the Paterno tribute.

This was a PSU vs Temple game, so almost everyone there was a Pennsylvanian.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Only in college football would you see a situation where they fire a coach over what is arguably one of the most horrific stories to have learned about in the last 20+ years, but then still manage to honor the same person at a game.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm just shocked that someone that has pull didn't step in and stop this ceremony
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm not shocked...they are scum. Will continue to be scum. And that is because honestly there is no consequence and money talks. Want to point why we aren't great as a nation and this is a hint. The money matters most always. They might have turned their backs but they still paid for their seats. If they really cared those seats would be empty.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I have several childhood heroes, be it in music or athletes.

I'll be damned if they were involved in something like Paterno was, would i be a part of a celebration or whatever the fuck they want to call it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs