Whatcha Watchin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

Post by Sudy »

Firefox ate my reply unfortunately, but I think the best question is of these services' relative value. YouTube TV offers live TV, so isn't it essentially a cable replacement? The steaming marketplace has fractured and continues evolving. Many cable companies themselves got in on the streaming game, or bundle streaming services with their subscriptions. In many ways it may be less consumer friendly, but there are also a lot more options than when Netflix was the only player in the market, or shortly afterward. If you're going to subscribe to all services at once, yeah, it might be as expensive or more expensive than cable. But you can still get a lot of content out of an $8 or $15 monthly subscription with one service, before cancelling and moving on to another. The dream of having everything/most things under one roof like Spotify is dead, but I don't think that was ever likely in the first place.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

If cable means watching on their schedule, it's not an option for me. I schedule my TV, not vice-versa.

I have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. I could cut the latter two if I had to, and sooner or later I probably will. Amazon Prime pays for itself in physical shipping costs, and Netflix is (so far) too robust and convenient to give up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont watch anything but why would I pay $65 a month to YouTubeTV when I can get cable for $45? Shrug.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm currently working my way through classic Doctor Who at a leisurely pace of one or two episodes a day. This week, I bid adieu to Sarah Jane Smith in The Hand of Fear, saw the Doctor go solo in The Deadly Assassin and just today I've met Leela in The Face of Evil. Good times.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:17 pm What happened to fun in TV shows?
I've been enjoying Uncanny Counter on Netflix. Korean modern superheroes in roughly the same genre as Warrior Nun but with more humor and fewer double crosses. Subtitles are ok but if we weren't on winter break I'd ask some of my students if punk is really that common of a word in Korean.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm I'm currently working my way through classic Doctor Who at a leisurely pace of one or two episodes a day. This week, I bid adieu to Sarah Jane Smith in The Hand of Fear, saw the Doctor go solo in The Deadly Assassin and just today I've met Leela in The Face of Evil. Good times.
My wife and I started that journey sometime in 2019, then moved on to NuWho.

We were in the middle of a Capaldi episode (Heaven Sent) on New Year's Eve, and paused the show to watch the stupid ball drop. After that, we went back to watch the rest of the show and found that the channel (Brit Box) no longer had rights to the show starting Jan 1 2020. :doh:

A couple of months ago we signed up with HBO Max, so we were able to start back in. Last week we finally cut up to the most-recently-aired episode, so had to find something else to watch.

Since we liked The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, my wife decided to watch Rising Damp:
Conform or be cast out!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Working late nights, I tend to turn in later than others on my days off. Easier to watch a show then hit the hay to keep on schedule. The bird (our pet) does not like me interrupting his routine by having the TV on longer but I’m not a bother for more than an hour.
The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned from a Mythical Man - Netflix
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I stumbled upon the 1981 BBC version of The Hitchhikers GTT Galaxy on Prime. Hadn't seen it since VHS days. Still comedy gold.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am I stumbled upon the 1981 BBC version of The Hitchhikers GTT Galaxy on Prime. Hadn't seen it since VHS days. Still comedy gold.
Funny, I'm currently reading Don't Panic from Neil Gaiman. Nobody involved with the TV version seemed to think highly of it, except maybe the animated bits. :D
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:26 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am I stumbled upon the 1981 BBC version of The Hitchhikers GTT Galaxy on Prime. Hadn't seen it since VHS days. Still comedy gold.
Funny, I'm currently reading Don't Panic from Neil Gaiman. Nobody involved with the TV version seemed to think highly of it, except maybe the animated bits. :D
It's classic BBC cheese on the same level as original Dr Who and Red Dwarf.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh I even forgot all about this. Yeah... I should seek that one out again. I was bummed out with the remake... just didn't do much for me.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 am
Oh, yes, I've seen them all. I think that the level of cheese in HHG is well about Doctor Who, though. One only need look at Zaphod's less chatty head. :D
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:26 pm
Oh, yes, I've seen them all. I think that the level of cheese in HHG is well about Doctor Who, though. One only need look at Zaphod's less chatty head. :D
Zaphod's head was the right creative decision. Once they realized they couldn't write it out or make it look remotely convincing, camping it up was the only way to go.

We watched parts 1-3 last night and are about to finish 4-6. It's fun.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:21 pm
Zaphod's head was the right creative decision. Once they realized they couldn't write it out or make it look remotely convincing, camping it up was the only way to go.

According to Don't Panic, that was more a matter of a mechanical failure than a creative decision. :D

It's a fun series if you approach it with the expectation of being campy, that's true. :D As long as you can handle the fact that every HHG iteration (radio, TV, theater, movies, books) is at least slightly different from all the others.
Conform or be cast out!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:25 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:21 pm

According to Don't Panic, that was more a matter of a mechanical failure than a creative decision. :D
That just makes it better, for me. Accidental camp is always better than calculated camp.

This was the first version of HHGTG that I ever saw, and before I saw it I heard the radio play, so it'll always be my gold standard. I'm pleased that Amazon has it for free, and now I'm good for another 20 years. :)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:48 am Watched Citizen Kane for the first time. While drinking fairly heavily. It was pretty good.
I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. Sadly, I wasn't drunk.

I didn't think it was great. The newsreel at the start went way, way too long. While there were many cinematography tricks and such, it felt too experimental, trying to do too many different things constantly (sometimes working, sometimes not). It felt uneven. And the story, while it wasn't bad, wasn't great either (to be fair, I knew the ending spoiler beforehand). The acting was good, though.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tonight I saw I'm Thinking of Ending Things on netflix. I don't think I've ever spent two more enjoyable hours wondering wtf was going on. Jesse Buckley, Jesse Plemons, David Thewlis, Toni Collette -- the first three were each in a different season of Fargo. Recommended if you like trippy movies that will merit repeat viewings.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m watching Star Trek Below Decks on CBS All Access and it is AWESOME!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:48 am Watched Citizen Kane for the first time. While drinking fairly heavily. It was pretty good.
I watched Citizen Kane for the first time. Sadly, I wasn't drunk.

I didn't think it was great. The newsreel at the start went way, way too long. While there were many cinematography tricks and such, it felt too experimental, trying to do too many different things constantly (sometimes working, sometimes not). It felt uneven. And the story, while it wasn't bad, wasn't great either (to be fair, I knew the ending spoiler beforehand). The acting was good, though.
Part of what CK did was demonstrate that an true artiste (like Orson Welles) could succeed on his own terms outside of the studio system. That's what goes on the make the great directors of the 1950s/60s/70s even possible.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yeah, I know lots of later movies owe CK a lot, but from a watching entertainment perspective, the movie isn't anywhere near it's reputation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the big reveal was just a McGuffin.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spent the evening on the couch with the wife and dogs:

Soul
Palm Springs
Guns Akimbo
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I started watching Community just to knock it off my list. I actually laughed out loud a few times which is not a thing that happens often. I maybe should have given this one a chance a little bit sooner.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:54 am I started watching Community just to knock it off my list. I actually laughed out loud a few times which is not a thing that happens often. I maybe should have given this one a chance a little bit sooner.
It really gets better after a while, too.

Treat yo self and keep watching it.
Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jojo Rabbit feels tonally discordant sometimes, but it's very good. I was actually expecting it to be even more subversive and maybe less obvious in its satire, but I'm ignorant of the source material and it's evident it was being made within a Hollywood PG-13 framework. Some of the themes are familiar and feel manipulative, but as every positive review felt the need to point out, they're also ones that need to be constantly re-examined, especially during the present day.

The subtext of Sam Rockwell's character has been criticized by some, but I think it might be appropriate considering the scope of the film. Pretty much every time I see Rockwell in something, I wonder why he's not huge. Maybe he does tend to do best with supporting roles, but even though he gets a ton of work I can't help wanting to see him more.

Line of the movie, spoken by the main character's 11-year-old (second) best friend: "Our only friends are the Japanese and just between you and me, they don't look very Aryan."

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow, sometimes you're blindsided by a film/television announcement you never expected.... While browsing Crave's streaming app (they license HBO's content), I saw something called Painting with John. I thought, it can't be.... But it is! It's a follow-up, at least in title, to John Lurie's 1991 cult classic Fishing with John, which is... difficult to describe. It was shot like a fishing/travel show, but was usually either loosely scripted or completely unscripted, and edited in a way to add drama, but tongue-in-cheek. One might think of it as the neighbour to mockumentary, or faux-reality television before there was such a thing. It only ran six episodes on IFC, but each show had a notable guest: Jim Jarmush, Tom Waits, Matt Dillon, Willem Dafoe, or Dennis Hopper.

Lurie collaborated with Jarmusch and Waits on more than one occasion, and stands on his own creatively as a jazz musician and member of the Lounge Lizards. Apparently, he's been suffering from the effects of lyme disease for the past couple of decades and has turned his attention to painting. There's only one episode available for streaming so far and I haven't watched it yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to doing so.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 am Line of the movie, spoken by the main character's 11-year-old (second) best friend: "Our only friends are the Japanese and just between you and me, they don't look very Aryan."
I was happy to read that Archie Yates, who plays Yorki, the character you mentioned, is getting a lot of work. He stole every scene he was in in JoJo Rabbit. He's heading up a Home Alone remake right now.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 pm Wow, sometimes you're blindsided by a film/television announcement you never expected.... While browsing Crave's streaming app (they license HBO's content), I saw something called Painting with John. I thought, it can't be.... But it is! It's a follow-up, at least in title, to John Lurie's 1991 cult classic Fishing with John, which is... difficult to describe. It was shot like a fishing/travel show, but was usually either loosely scripted or completely unscripted, and edited in a way to add drama, but tongue-in-cheek. One might think of it as the neighbour to mockumentary, or faux-reality television before there was such a thing. It only ran six episodes on IFC, but each show had a notable guest: Jim Jarmush, Tom Waits, Matt Dillon, Willem Dafoe, or Dennis Hopper.

Lurie collaborated with Jarmusch and Waits on more than one occasion, and stands on his own creatively as a jazz musician and member of the Lounge Lizards. Apparently, he's been suffering from the effects of lyme disease for the past couple of decades and has turned his attention to painting. There's only one episode available for streaming so far and I haven't watched it yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to doing so.
I was a major Lounge Lizards fan in the late '80's and thus a John Lurie fan and THUS a Fishing With John fan. Very happy that he's back on TV.

After watching the newest HBO episode we watched the Tom Waits Fishing episode since I have them all saved on TiVo. It's a favorite from the series as it was filmed in Jamaica. Word is that Tom hated the experience so much he didn't talk to John for two years afterwards.

It's worth watching the whole show but at least check out this highlight of Tom curing his depression by catching a red snapper and storing it in his shorts:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sorry to Bother You definitely surprised me. In some ways, it feels like a modern Terry Gilliam or Spike Jonze film. But in others it does its own thing. The arc is familiar, but the execution is fresh. Things seem "normal" on the outside, or at least normalized, but the corporations and capitalists have already won, and every day is just a quest for survival and existence. The racial and dehumanization elements are even more relevant. So, it's a lot like reality. A worthy and surreal satire. Some of the in-universe television shows/ads are a little cringeworthy and feel stale, but they serve their purpose (as a fairly minor element).

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 pm I've watched the first two seasons of Westworld. I'm about 20 minutes into season 3, and I'm just not sure I want to continue right now. I've enjoyed parts of it, but I really prefer a coherent story, while Westworld seems to be written to confuse the viewer. You never, ever know what's going on. It reminds me a little of Lost that way.

Is season 3 worth spending on the ~ten hours on?
I went ahead and watched Season 3 recently. I think the hardest part was the first episode. I found it rather boring, and not to criticize the actor, but I found the early scenes with Aaron Paul's character just... dragged due to a poor script. I couldn't tell what it was it was trying show me. It doesn't help that I found their version of the future bland and homogenized. Overall, I found they had toned down the confusing aspects of the show, as it was definitely more linear storytelling compared to Season 2. But the story itself just seemed lost somewhere, and stuck on the opposition between Maeve and Dolores. By the time it comes to their final confrontation, I just didn't care anymore and had forgotten what they were fighting for.

Sudy, I saw that one in the theatre with a friend. We both didn't know what were in for going in, and we were just flabberghasted when it hit us. By the end, as we walked out, we both looked at each other with a puzzled look on our faces, wondering what the heck we had just watched.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

tjg_marantz wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:20 pm 6 episodes into Das Boot, the new tv series. Really recommend it if you like your WWII shows. I suspect I'll finish the 8 episodes by tonight or tomorrow.
I'm just into the first episode of this series, and I'm impressed. It features plenty of atmosphere and tension. The opening scene [SPOILER!] presents us with the experience of a U-boat crew suffering and succumbing to American depth charges.

I've always been a fan of the original movie, which was set in the early days of the Atlantic War (1941). This series begins a bit later (1942) and could carry on to the end of the German submarine campaign. That would be 1944, when the Allied invasions cut the Germans off from their French submarine bases.

There are two seasons posted (on Hulu) with more to go, so I have a lot of content to look forward to.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On Hulu, a Russian SciFi/Horror set in 1983. In Russian with English subtitles. I enjoyed it.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A movie called "I Care a Lot" (Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage) just debuted on Netflix. It's an OK story with some clever twists, if ultimately hard to believe. I give it 5 tentacles up. A house that features prominently near the beginning of the film makes it special for me. I pass that house on my daily walking route, and they were setting up to film one morning a couple of years ago as I walked past. The street was closed to traffic but not to pedestrians, and I walked right through the not-quite-ready set. Very cool to finally see it on screen.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm liking Das Boot (Hulu), but it feels a little slow when binging it. Each episode spends a significant amount of time revisiting the dramatic tensions of the previous episode. Overall it's quite good, but I want it to move faster.

I've also just started Deutschland 83 (also on Hulu). It's about an East German soldier sent by the Stasi to impersonate an assistant to a West German general. The political drama involves Warsaw Pact fears of Reagan aggression, but the show does a great job of depicting the German 1980s on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Apparently the second season is Deutschland 86 and the third is Deutschland 89 (the year the Wall falls).

Maybe I just enjoy subtitled German? Last weekend we made the boys watch Run Lola Run.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm I've also just started Deutschland 83 (also on Hulu). It's about an East German soldier sent by the Stasi to impersonate an assistant to a West German general. The political drama involves Warsaw Pact fears of Reagan aggression, but the show does a great job of depicting the German 1980s on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Apparently the second season is Deutschland 86 and the third is Deutschland 89 (the year the Wall falls).
The wife and I watched 83 when it was first on (although I don't remember what network it aired on) and we enjoyed it. She only just found out that they made the other two seasons. Are they on Hulu as well? That's one service that we don't get.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm I've also just started Deutschland 83 (also on Hulu). It's about an East German soldier sent by the Stasi to impersonate an assistant to a West German general. The political drama involves Warsaw Pact fears of Reagan aggression, but the show does a great job of depicting the German 1980s on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Apparently the second season is Deutschland 86 and the third is Deutschland 89 (the year the Wall falls).
The wife and I watched 83 when it was first on (although I don't remember what network it aired on) and we enjoyed it. She only just found out that they made the other two seasons. Are they on Hulu as well? That's one service that we don't get.
Deutschland 86 is on Hulu. D'89 apparently isn't streaming yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've been binging on Schitt's Creek recently via Netflix. Man, what a brilliant, brilliant comedy this is.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Catherine O'Hara steals every scene she's in though. :wub:
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm Catherine O'Hara steals every scene she's in though. :wub:
I love that choice you're making for yourself by saying that!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm Catherine O'Hara steals every scene she's in though. :wub:
Moira Rose is her best character in a long career of good characters. And to think she almost didn't do the show.