Is there a word for this?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a word for this?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Also I'm just guessing on the spelling of their names because I'm lazy.
I remember Grundbegriff this way:
Grund Be Griff

Isg is just Isg.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I love you guys!
Yep, every now and then I just smile while reading, occasionally laugh out loud and manage to learn stuff from the board. Absolutely love how this forum is so wacky, challenging, funny, insightful, knowledgeable and simply great to be a part of.

That's all.

<poof>
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Archinerd wrote: Also I'm just guessing on the spelling of their names because I'm lazy.
Grund Be Griff

Isg is just Isg.
Classic.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Grund Be Griff

Isg is just Isg.
He is grim, `nur
Isgrimnur

Is there a word for this?

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D Off in Wichita Falls with the parents for the weekend.

And I actually learned something from the thread. From a military brat background, I'm used to all initialized terms being referred to as acronyms.

The wiki page for DUKW refers to "Duck" as a colloquialism.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote::D Off in Wichita Falls with the parents for the weekend.

And I actually learned something from the thread. From a military brat background, I'm used to all initialized terms being referred to as acronyms.

Sorry but the time limit for responses has been reached so your response has been disqualified.

Thanks for playing.

:P
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: And I actually learned something from the thread. From a military brat background, I'm used to all initialized terms being referred to as acronyms.

[pedant]But that can't be the answer to the OP question. Colloquialisms are common, but they are only sometimes derived from acronyms.[/pedant]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I just read through the wikipedia article on it, and did some additional google, doesn't look like there is a particular word for that, pronouncing an acronym as a word, even when the word is not exactly the same as the acronym. But there are precedents for the acronym replacing the original words, in effect becoming a new word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism" target="_blank
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Acronyms Prounced As Words. Apawinym.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilition Into Society -Rimmer RED DWARF
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

http://can-fap.net/" target="_blank
Frequently Asked Questions about the Canadian Foreskin Awareness Project (CAN-FAP) and its founder, Glen Callender.

Hey Glen, do you realize that ‘FAP’ is slang for ‘masturbate’?

It is? Wow, what a happy coincidence! I had no idea. (/sarcasm)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nixon's campaign fundraising organization was the "Committee for the Re-Election of the President." They wanted it known as CRP, but CREEP is what stuck.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thread necrojacking!

In multiple threads, I've talked about totes. These were never a part of my life until I moved to Indiana, where they're common (or it may just be that they didn't become popular until I moved here.) But it occurs to me that 'tote' may be an Indiana term, and I make an active effort to keep Indianaisms out of my vocabulary. So, rest of world, what is this called?
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bin or tote to me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That's a tote to me also. It could be a storage bin too but really if it has the lid I'd say tote. Note that the bags are always tote bags to me or simply bags. I think you are safe from Indiana speak.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am That's a tote to me also. It could be a storage bin too but really if it has the lid I'd say tote.
That's interesting because I was originally going to say "bin with a lid or tote". I wonder where I got the idea that a bin doesn't have a lid.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, DUKW was an accident. GM uses "D" for 1942, U for amphib, K for all-wheel drive, and W for "dual rear axles". The fact that DUKW was kinda close to "duck" was the accident. Troops don't like initialisms, so they resorted to calling these "ducks".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A tote. And that's what it would be called off the shelf of any place that sold them so I assume it's not regional.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm more likely to call it a storage bin, but I could see tote. (BTW, addding the "storage" before "bin" means it has a lid to me.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Montag

Post by Montag »

There were totes before the tote bag. I have seen tote used a lot in reference to chemical containers. There are common 300 gallon plastic containers with a metal wire reinforcement. These are way easier to manage then drums.
words
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:22 am I'm more likely to call it a storage bin, but I could see tote. (BTW, addding the "storage" before "bin" means it has a lid to me.)
Putting Storage before Bin means that is has handles and is small enough not to be to toted around on pallet jack, forklift, or Larry (how's that for an obscure regional slang no one ever uses. Of course, I think was eighteen before I learned a "comealong" is actually called a winch.)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:22 am I'm more likely to call it a storage bin, but I could see tote. (BTW, addding the "storage" before "bin" means it has a lid to me.)
Exactly this, except I don’t know that I would ever call it a tote.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Commonly a tote in Ontario as well, but just as often a storage bin. Or to go down the path of metonyms, a rubbermaid or roughneck. Or in the Nym household, "where we dump stuff when we don't have a good place for it but are afraid to throw it out".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Definitely a bin, never a tote. I've never heard a box of any kind called a tote before this thread.

To me a tote is a bag, and "to tote" is to carry something. A plastic bin is a holder, not a carrier.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I call it a plastic storage box.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Holman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:37 am To me a tote is a bag, and "to tote" is to carry something. A plastic bin is a holder, not a carrier.
You can carry it! It has handles!

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am I call it a plastic storage box.
Geez, do you call a toaster a metal bread burning box, too?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am I call it a plastic storage box.
yup storage box.

This is a tote or tote bag. Even Google says so.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tote is widespread enough that I won't cringe if I keep using it. It had just occurred that the only time I'd really heard the word 'tote' used for anything was from my grandmother.

"I need you to tote them boxes into the front room!"

I loved my grandmother. But I don't want to talk like her.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I refer to them as buckets. I have moved homes using them three times. Infinitely superior to cardboard.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They're totally totes here, too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You may be thinking of toke.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Holman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:37 am To me a tote is a bag, and "to tote" is to carry something. A plastic bin is a holder, not a carrier.
Oddly enough I think of these things as carriers. If I wanted to just hold things I'd a box but these things exist (for me at least) because they are easy to grab and carry from place to place.

For what it's worth to me a bin implies no lid.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The one thing that, in my experience, makes them inferior to boxes: They don't stack as well unless you have the really high quality ones. The main reason is the sloped sides that put the weight on the lid and push the sides of the lower ones out instead of having the weight supported with straight sides like boxes. I've had a lot more totes collapse when stacked than boxes.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You mean plastic storage boxes?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The lids need to interlock to make them support their weight, or use a separate lid altogether. The sloped sides make them stack when empty. I have a couple for the space under my bed.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am
Agreed. I've never heard that called a tote. I've only heard that word applied to canvas bags.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:09 pm They don't stack as well unless you have the really high quality ones.
Yeah, Rubbermaid for life. They're more expensive, but they're so much better than most of the generic ones. Still, they have their limits.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gbasden wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:44 am
Unagi wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am
Agreed. I've never heard that called a tote. I've only heard that word applied to canvas bags.
So far:
you , me and Holman live in the correct reality
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If it's just the three of you, I'm pretty sure you're the interlopers. What year did Nelson Mandela die?

Holman

Post by Holman »

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

A tote bag is a tote bag because you use to carry stuff around (e.g. groceries and crazy pills).

A storage bin can't be a tote because you tote it so rarely. It stores things in the garage or the basement until you forget you own them. Bins are way too unwieldy for regular toting.

The only bin used for regular toting fills up with garbage all week, and even then its tote range is just to the curb.