Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by hepcat »

Good thing OO isn’t the kind of place that would start a thread like “Scarlet Johansson’s Golden Globes (NSFW)” or something! :P
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched the first ep of October Faction, I didn't care much for the tone. They are trying for a dark comedy which did not work for me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Watched season 1 of Kipo and the age of wondebeasts. Apparently it's based on a web comic, it was a Netflix recommendation. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to a season 2. The animation is well done and the voice acting is very good, quite a few recognizable names. The underlying story isn't exactly innovative but it's well presented with some interesting twists. Was fun to watch.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Tao wrote:Watched season 1 of Kipo and the age of wondebeasts. Apparently it's based on a web comic, it was a Netflix recommendation. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to a season 2. The animation is well done and the voice acting is very good, quite a few recognizable names. The underlying story isn't exactly innovative but it's well presented with some interesting twists. Was fun to watch.
Kipo was fun to watch and it's nice to be able to watch something my daughter and I can enjoy together. She's not quite ready for Mindhunters.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:42 pm I watched the first ep of October Faction, I didn't care much for the tone. They are trying for a dark comedy which did not work for me.
A friend of mine said it didn't get good until the middle of the season but she really liked the second half. I haven't watched any of it yet.

Just finished Season 3 of Sabrina and it was awesome fun. Crazy epic adventure with the patented Sabrina flair, something like Buffy meets Harry Potter in a Tomb Raider movie lol.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I've tried to get into October Faction. What's helped is I have fast forwarded whenever the two teens appear for the first 2 episodes (never a good sign). There is a lot of family drama intertwined into the story so far which drags it the EFF down. I dont know if i will stick with it or not unless it starts to ramp up, just a lot of mindless teen drama infused into a threadbare story so far. Or maybe I should look for something else to watch. :dance:
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched Medical Police today, sequel(?) to Children's Hospital (the Adult Swim show). I never watched CH, but I understand this is very similar.

It's a spoof on spy, medical drama, and cop shows that's absolutely hilarious. Similar absurdity and humor as Naked Gun, with a cast that does a fantastic job. 7/8 tentacles.

Tao wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:20 pm Watched season 1 of Kipo and the age of wondebeasts. Apparently it's based on a web comic, it was a Netflix recommendation. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to a season 2. The animation is well done and the voice acting is very good, quite a few recognizable names. The underlying story isn't exactly innovative but it's well presented with some interesting twists. Was fun to watch.
My kids have really been enjoying this show as well. I haven't watched the whole thing, but have definitely been entertained by the bits I've caught.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’ve documentary on Aaron Hernandez. It doesn’t break a ton of new ground, but it’s a good look at his life and what may have lead to the murders.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Locke & Key

So i am 2 episodes in so far, and i am starting to enjoy it. The premise is interesting, but what I really like (and this shows the experience of the showrunners-carlton cuse of Lost) is how they leave little clifhangers in the episodes; then breakoff to another scene and make you wonder about that point. They rotate back to it, but its well done. Its really nicely layered so far. Acting seems decent enough. Cautiously optimistic.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Ended up binging first 6 episodes of Locke & Key. It's a well crafted series. If you get into it in the first episode; you'll like it. Some teen age angst, but not overdone. I am probably going to finish the series in the next few days. Its pretty good so far. Just a very well crafted series. Everything seems to just flow together for the benefit of the story. Not done with it yet. But its been enjoyable so far.
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:59 pm Watched Medical Police today, sequel(?) to Children's Hospital (the Adult Swim show). I never watched CH, but I understand this is very similar.

It's a spoof on spy, medical drama, and cop shows that's absolutely hilarious. Similar absurdity and humor as Naked Gun, with a cast that does a fantastic job. 7/8 tentacles.
I've never seen children's hospital, but the previews made this seem like it had promise. I like Naked Gun but this was just too stupid for me. Would not recommend.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Newcastle wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:11 pm Ended up binging first 6 episodes of Locke & Key. It's a well crafted series. If you get into it in the first episode; you'll like it. Some teen age angst, but not overdone. I am probably going to finish the series in the next few days. Its pretty good so far. Just a very well crafted series. Everything seems to just flow together for the benefit of the story. Not done with it yet. But its been enjoyable so far.
We're five in and enjoying it as well. And that Echo is one not very nice lady. :shock:
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:17 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:59 pm Watched Medical Police today, sequel(?) to Children's Hospital (the Adult Swim show). I never watched CH, but I understand this is very similar.

I've never seen children's hospital, but the previews made this seem like it had promise. I like Naked Gun but this was just too stupid for me. Would not recommend.
I love Children's Hospital. But the returning ensemble just seemed off to me in Medical Drama. Granted, I only watched the first episode, so it may just take some getting used to. I'll have to give it another try as I do find all the comic actors involved hilarious in most things. And adding Craig Robinson to anything just makes it exponentially funnier to me.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:12 pm

I love Children's Hospital. But the returning ensemble just seemed off to me in Medical Drama. Granted, I only watched the first episode, so it may just take some getting used to. I'll have to give it another try as I do find all the comic actors involved hilarious in most things. And adding Craig Robinson to anything just makes it exponentially funnier to me.
FWIW, I hated the first episode. Almost stopped watching entirely because I thought it was so stupid.

Gets much better after that one.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, I’ll give it another shot then. Thanks!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Newcastle wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:11 pm Ended up binging first 6 episodes of Locke & Key. It's a well crafted series. If you get into it in the first episode; you'll like it. Some teen age angst, but not overdone. I am probably going to finish the series in the next few days. Its pretty good so far. Just a very well crafted series. Everything seems to just flow together for the benefit of the story. Not done with it yet. But its been enjoyable so far.
I’m enjoying it too, although I was hoping for more horror, less fantasy. But apparently that was a conscious decision on their part.

Also, I find it somewhat disconcerting that the mother obviously had her first kid when she was about 4.
Spoiler:
Oh...and Tom F’ing Savini?! Excellent!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:28 pm
I’m enjoying it too, although I was hoping for more horror, less fantasy. But apparently that was a conscious decision on their part.

Also, I find it somewhat disconcerting that the mother obviously had her first kid when she was about 4.
Spoiler:
Oh...and Tom F’ing Savini?! Excellent!
I really liked it, except for the very end. A little anti-climactic after a great Episode 9, and I felt a bit cheated, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am I know I am the last person on earth to see it, but I watched the first hour of episodes of Love, Death and Robots last night. That was pretty awesome.
No, I am the last person to watch it, and it's damn good. I don't know if it meets Rumpy's standards, but I'd definitely recommend it. What I think I like most is that it's in easily consumable offerings. If you can't are aren't able to sit for 45+ minutes to watch something, you can just sit for 6-18 minutes and watch a single episode. There's value in that (to me). Looking forward to Season 2 (whenever that is).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The three robot tourists deserves its own damn movie, I still say.

And the "beyond the edge of the universe" episode is still creepy as hell months after I watched it.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think those were the first and second episodes in my random shuffle. They were quite different!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:30 pm I don't know if it meets Rumpy's standards, but I'd definitely recommend it.
Oh, I'll definitely check it out. I just haven't realized it was even a thing given the way Netflix recommendations work. Most of the stuff recommended here has been very good.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Speaking of behind the times, the wife and I just finished the first season of 13 Reasons Why. Holy hell is that depressing. I am both excited for and dreading the rest of it. I think we are going to take a little break to recover some sanity points before we dive back in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tao wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 pm Almost finished with season one of The Kominsky Method. Really enjoying this, all the actors are good, the overarching story is enjoyable, the episodes are pretty funny but Alan Arkin is national treasure, his delivery is so perfect. The one gripe is they over do the "getting old sucks" schtick a bit.
Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin ... how can you go wrong?

I'm drunk, and watched the first episode. I may certainly come back to it when I' m sober.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 am Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin ... how can you go wrong?
As much as I like those two actors, tried watching this and... let's just say it's not really one to be watching around family. Some of the humour made me unconformable as it tends to be rather crass at times.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker
Spoiler:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watched Green Frontier, which is a Columbian miniseries on Netflix. Interesting, I guess. It starts out as a murder mystery deep in the Amazon jungle, but devolved into some metaphysical towards the end and the murder ends up not really being addressed. The final episode made me feel like I'd wasted my time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The English Game
Spoiler:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finished October Faction last night - watched all 10 episodes in about a week. Would have watched faster, but not child appropriate, which limited my viewing opportunities. I liked it. I guessed a couple of the twists, but nowhere near all of them. There are plenty of loose ends to deal with in a Season 2 - I hope they get it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Netflix announced that while Lost in Space has been renewed for a 3rd season, it will be its last. :( The Netflix curse seems to be 3 seasons.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm Netflix announced that while Lost in Space has been renewed for a 3rd season, it will be its last. :( The Netflix curse seems to be 3 seasons.
It's not really a curse - it's a pretty well reasoned cost/benefit analysis.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm Netflix announced that while Lost in Space has been renewed for a 3rd season, it will be its last. :( The Netflix curse seems to be 3 seasons.
It's not really a curse - it's a pretty well reasoned cost/benefit analysis.
My point is that most series on Netflix don't go beyond 3 seasons. Getting more than that is extremely lucky.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

well, it's probably for the best. season 1 was pretty good, season 2 was a bunch of WTF. Hopefully they can do it justice and have a good final season.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked season 2. It had some outlandish silliness at times, but overall it fleshed out some of the robot’s character, and I appreciated that.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think one of my favourite parts about the second season were the scenes on the water planet, and the dino chase on that other planet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea Kingdom season 2 has finally arrived! Zombies and cool Joseon dynasty hats are back!

Korean zombies don’t screw around!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm a glutton for punishment, I kept watching. I'm about to start Ep. 9. Still pretty bad. But the parallels between their virus and ours and how people are reacting...extremely eerie.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Roman

Post by Roman »

Watched Da 5 Bloods last night. Wasn’t impressed at all. Felt disjointed and very amateurish. Surprised to see Spike Lee’s name on it.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.