Just bought gas for under $3

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Just bought gas for under $3

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 am +1K for not-white.
Racist! :P
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I paid $3.10 for premium last week, but as I only need one 9-gallon fill-up every 6 weeks or so, the price doesn't matter. If we as a species are going to get serious about carbon neutrality anytime soon, cheap gas has to be the first thing to go.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Both of my cars thrive on E88, so that's what they get. Slightly cheaper than regular.

Perhaps one day the stars will properly align and my wife will get the Honda minvan she desperately wants and I'll get something of the pseudo-sportscar variety. Who knows, it might even be an electric one if they are practical in my 'hood by then!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote:Both of my cars thrive on E88, so that's what they get. Slightly cheaper than regular.

Perhaps one day the stars will properly align and my wife will get the Honda minvan she desperately wants and I'll get something of the pseudo-sportscar variety. Who knows, it might even be an electric one if they are practical in my 'hood by then!

88 octane is actually E(Thanol) 15(%)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 pm
Jeff V wrote:Both of my cars thrive on E88, so that's what they get. Slightly cheaper than regular.

88 octane is actually E(Thanol) 15(%)
Yep. Does that make it unmentionable in a thread about gas?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No. I’d seen it, but didn’t know what it was. When you mentioned it, I decided to remedy that and share the information.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:44 pm No. I’d seen it, but didn’t know what it was. When you mentioned it, I decided to remedy that and share the information.
It's slightly cheaper gas (thanks to the ethanol) with slightly higher octane than regular. It's usable in 1990 and older vehicles, which applies to most of us here (Geezer's car collection not withstanding). Whether or not this gas represents a performance hit is immaterial considering the squirrel-driven cars I feed it too...a Rogue and Versa.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Here in Colorado, my car runs on 85 :)

Strangely enough, the gas prices here haven't come down at all in the last few weeks. I still paid $2.26/gallon for 85 yesterday.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

$1.99 for 87 octane here in the Birmingham area right now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

$2.05 this morning. I had a free discount card that gave me 55 cents off a gallon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$2.18 at the nearby Casey''s. I'll fill up in the morning before road trip to Cheeseland.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Apollo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 am $1.99 for 87 octane here in the Birmingham area right now.
Huntsville is $2.19, saw some $2.16s outside the city limits on the way home.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stations around town are running out of gas in my corner of SC. It was $2.69 for regular when I was driving in. Be interesting to see what it is when I drive home.

Really enjoying the Bolt this week...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I told my wife to fill her tank if it's empty. She doesn't drive much, but knowing this area people will start filling bathtubs with gas to horde it. So might as well fill it up while we can. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It would be about $2.58 for the cheap stuff if there was any here. Cheap and mid is gone. The good stuff is $3.50
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I saw a CNN headline yesterday that said something to the effect that people were concerned about $3.00 gas due to the pipeline shutdown. I was excited that the price would be going down so much!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:19 pm I saw a CNN headline yesterday that said something to the effect that people were concerned about $3.00 gas due to the pipeline shutdown. I was excited that the price would be going down so much!
You live in Chicago. You aint seeing $3 gas for a loooooooong time, if ever.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$2.99 across the board. The pipeline doesn't supply Indiana, but I still expect people to panic-buy. The gas, the bread, and milk.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I filled up last week seeing all the commodities going apeshit. I'm good for a few months now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
JCC

Post by JCC »

People here in Raleigh were lined up on the street to buy gas today. This is despite the fact they say the pipeline should be back to normal by Friday. Man we are a stupid country. One of my best friends wanted to take a trip to the beach to see his dad who just had a quadruple bypass and he couldn't because he couldn't find gas.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I have a buddy who has to drive to Durham for SURGERY, and he had to visit three gas stations and wait in line for over an hour today to fill up. It's stuff like this that seriously makes me want to just pack up and move overseas somewhere. I feel like I can't live with the amount of stupid in this country anymore.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

There's another factor involved in motor fuel prices besides the Colonial Pipeline ransomware shutdown (emphasis added):

Corn Is the Latest Commodity to Soar
wsj.com wrote:America’s biggest cash crop has rarely been more expensive. Corn prices have risen roughly 50% in 2021 and a bushel costs more than twice what it did a year ago.

Corn has been one of the sharpest risers in the broad rally in raw materials that is prompting companies to boost prices for goods and fueling concern among investors that inflation could hobble the post-pandemic economic recovery.

Lumber prices have shot to more than four times what is typical, pushing up home prices and obliterating renovation budgets. Copper, a cog of industry found throughout the home and in electronics, hit record prices Friday. Crude oil hasn’t cost so much since 2018 and soybeans are trading at their loftiest level since 2012.

With corn climbing toward a record, Americans can expect to pay more for all sorts of items at the grocery store as well as at the gasoline pump. Corn is a key ingredient in making products ranging from tortilla chips and chicken wings to bourbon and Coca-Cola. About 40% of the U.S. crop is blended into motor fuel.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

A local restaurant usually has chicken wings for 60 cents on Mondays.
They had to stop because the price of chicken was soaring.

Thanks Biden.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can read about it here.
During the pandemic, getting takeout wings on Wednesdays continued to act as a totem, while also letting me feel good about buying things from a local restaurant during a time of communal need. The government had abandoned us, thus the need for unfruitful $11 lunches to try to prop up a dying local economy. It didn’t really work on a macro level — the bar still had to close twice, after all — but it did do its part in draining America of its crucial chicken wing reserves. Too many Americans shared the goal of eating our way to fiscal stability. Wing sales went up 7 percent, which may not sound like a lot until you remember that it’s 7 percent of billions: Roughly 9 billion chickens are slaughtered each year for commercial sale and consumption.

The National Chicken Council is already ahead of the messaging around the shortage, leaning into the harsh winter as a root cause and indicating that extra time is needed to have supply “catch up” with demand due to the impacted chicken flocks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 pm Yeah I have a buddy who has to drive to Durham for SURGERY, and he had to visit three gas stations and wait in line for over an hour today to fill up. It's stuff like this that seriously makes me want to just pack up and move overseas somewhere. I feel like I can't live with the amount of stupid in this country anymore.
Id love to live in New Zealand. The place is absolutely gorgeous, the people seem smart, they film awesome movies there, and the accent is cool.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Like lumber, high corn prices have little to do with inflation. Good old high demand and low supply.
U.S. farmers, who harvested some of their largest corn and soybean crops ever last fall, will reap the highest season-average prices for the crops since the heady days of the commodity boom that ended in worldwide surpluses seven years ago, said the government on Tuesday. Commodity prices are on the rise due to tightening global supplies and large purchases by China, the first country to rebound economically from the pandemic.

In a bundle of reports, the USDA said U.S. stockpiles of corn and soybeans, the two most widely planted crops in the country, would shrink to their lowest levels since 2014 when this year’s crops are ready for harvest. At the same time, the average farm-gate price for corn and soybeans this marketing year would be the highest since 2013/14.

Along with wheat, corn and soybeans are the foundation of the U.S. food supply. They are primarily used as ingredients in processed foods, oils, and are fed to the cattle, hogs, and poultry that supply meat and eggs for the American diet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure they'll still vote wrong.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Just got back from my hoarding mission, maybe I should go get 4 more jerry cans. :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It was already a challenge to find Truckers in my area and now they are being used to ship gas and diesel. If this doesn't get fixed soon, the cascade effect is going to be unpleasant.

Edit:

7 gas stations passed on the way in to work. 1 had regular only (according to the sign board). 3 had diesel only.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 pm Like lumber, high corn prices have little to do with inflation. Good old high demand and low supply.
U.S. farmers, who harvested some of their largest corn and soybean crops ever last fall, will reap the highest season-average prices for the crops since the heady days of the commodity boom that ended in worldwide surpluses seven years ago, said the government on Tuesday. Commodity prices are on the rise due to tightening global supplies and large purchases by China, the first country to rebound economically from the pandemic.

In a bundle of reports, the USDA said U.S. stockpiles of corn and soybeans, the two most widely planted crops in the country, would shrink to their lowest levels since 2014 when this year’s crops are ready for harvest. At the same time, the average farm-gate price for corn and soybeans this marketing year would be the highest since 2013/14.

Along with wheat, corn and soybeans are the foundation of the U.S. food supply. They are primarily used as ingredients in processed foods, oils, and are fed to the cattle, hogs, and poultry that supply meat and eggs for the American diet.
I love that price increases across the board are all due to independent "factors", not inflation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:19 pm I saw a CNN headline yesterday that said something to the effect that people were concerned about $3.00 gas due to the pipeline shutdown. I was excited that the price would be going down so much!
You live in Chicago. You aint seeing $3 gas for a loooooooong time, if ever.
I could go on a road trip!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They'll keep saying transitory until they don't. I am going to assume (or hope) that this will be like the 2008 -2010 craziness and that we'll spikes but eventually settle in to something reasonable... that is still going to be high based on the volume of money we released in to the wild in 2020/early 2021 in addition to "it's not QE" that had been ongoing for the previous three years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I spent a few minutes this morning following a thread on NextDoor where two guys were arguing over whether there was an actual shortage, or if this was a shortage completely brought about by panic buying.

Guy #1 had spent 30 years in the petroleum industry and had worked for our port. He explained that our city gets all of our gas via ship, not pipeline, so there was no shortage in the city.

Guy #2 had zero experience in the petroleum industry and explained that Guy #1's opinion was "rubbish" because gas stations were out of gas.

Guy #1 explained that they were out of gas because people like Guy #2 were buying all the gas at once due to panic, not because there was an actual limited supply of gas.

Guy #2 explained that Guy #1 was an idiot and didn't know what he was talking about because the gas stations were out of gas. And if the pipeline was attacked, and now gas stations are out of gas, then the pipeline attack led to a gas shortage. :grund: :grund: :grund:
Anonymous Bosch

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 am
malchior wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 pm Like lumber, high corn prices have little to do with inflation. Good old high demand and low supply.

I love that price increases across the board are all due to independent "factors", not inflation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:45 am I spent a few minutes this morning following a thread on NextDoor where two guys were arguing over whether there was an actual shortage, or if this was a shortage completely brought about by panic buying.

Guy #1 had spent 30 years in the petroleum industry and had worked for our port. He explained that our city gets all of our gas via ship, not pipeline, so there was no shortage in the city.

Guy #2 had zero experience in the petroleum industry and explained that Guy #1's opinion was "rubbish" because gas stations were out of gas.

Guy #1 explained that they were out of gas because people like Guy #2 were buying all the gas at once due to panic, not because there was an actual limited supply of gas.

Guy #2 explained that Guy #1 was an idiot and didn't know what he was talking about because the gas stations were out of gas. And if the pipeline was attacked, and now gas stations are out of gas, then the pipeline attack led to a gas shortage. :grund: :grund: :grund:
I'm not going to doubt your petrol supply line but just because you get all your petrol through maritime doesn't mean your region does. They might, I dunno but it's hard to believe that would be the case while that pipeline supplies "half of all gasoline to the east coast" according to the news.

At the same time, our gas prices were up $.40 a gallon in concert with the pipeline shut down and we aren't anywhere near a region supplied by Colonial. But than as they are saying in other threads. "It's other factors". Increased demand, the Memorial day coming up, etc... etc... etc...
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 am

Are they across the board? Where is the actual evidence? Corn prices were expected to go up due to shortages. Lumber went up from noted shortages. Steel shortages. Clear supply/demand mechanisms. Again we'll see but inflationistas have been wrong...checks notes...every time for the last 30 odd years. When we see persistent core inflation north of 3.5% I'll take notice. Otherwise, this is all kvetching.
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:56 amAt the same time, our gas prices were up $.40 a gallon in concert with the pipeline shut down and we aren't anywhere near a region supplied by Colonial. But than as they are saying in other threads. "It's other factors". Increased demand, the Memorial day coming up, etc... etc... etc...
Fuel pricing is global and traded in real-time.
LordMortis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 am They'll keep saying transitory until they don't. I am going to assume (or hope) that this will be like the 2008 -2010 craziness and that we'll spikes but eventually settle in to something reasonable... that is still going to be high based on the volume of money we released in to the wild in 2020/early 2021 in addition to "it's not QE" that had been ongoing for the previous three years.
I'm not saying there won't be higher than normal inflation because they said they will let the dog run loose a bit. They don't want a 2% target to be a ceiling but the transitory causes will be shortages, pent up demand, and economic activity. IS-LM still guides the economic world until proven wrong.
Last edited by malchior on Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 am Fuel pricing is global and traded in real-time.
Only fuel prices go up here when there a pipeline problems that don't jack the rates outside of the region. It is what it is though. It's not like I can't pay it or like I'm doing massive amounts of non sustenance driving. Saturday will be my first elective drive in over 15 months. Gaming!!! So I guess I'm contributing to the increased demand as of this coming Saturday. :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am
malchior wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 am Fuel pricing is global and traded in real-time.
Only fuel prices go up here when there a pipeline problems that don't jack the rates outside of the region. It is what it is though. It's not like I can't pay it or like I'm doing massive amounts of non sustenance driving. Saturday will be my first elective drive in over 15 months. Gaming!!! So I guess I'm contributing to the increased demand as of this coming Saturday. :D
Yeah it's personally manageable too. I think it's also important to not tunnel in on the pipeline incident as the isolated cause because that's likely wrong too. It's too narrow. Prices tend to rise now anyway. Was 10-15% because of the incident? I dunno but it's just in the mix. The panic buying is a factor as well. It is artificial demand.
Anonymous Bosch

Raleigh, Charlotte: More than 70% of gas stations without fuel Wednesday
wxii12.com wrote:RALEIGH, N.C. — More than 70% of gas stations in the Raleigh and Charlotte areas are without fuel Wednesday morning, according to GasBuddy, a website and mobile app that helps people find the cheapest gas near them.

As of 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, 71% percent of gas stations in the Charlotte area are out of fuel, and 72% percent of all Raleigh-area gas stations are reportedly out of fuel.

Nearly a quarter of all gas stations in North Carolina are without gasoline Wednesday as drivers continue to line up at the pump to refill.

North Carolina has the highest percentage of gasoline outages on the east coast, primarily because of what analysts say is unwarranted panic-buying among drivers, as the shutdown of Colonial Pipeline by a gang of hackers entered its fifth day Tuesday.